Beginner Grower - Liberty Haze

CaramelFondant

Hi everyone,

So, after introducing myself, this will be my first ''official'' post. First of all a background: I acquired 2 Liberty Haze seeds and 2 Purple Kush seeds. I assembled a secret jardin grow room (2 feed large x 3 feet tall) and I purchased the 100w light equipment. After some weeks, when the plants were already popping out, I was submited to surgery and hospitalized. Case to say I'm still recovering but 3 plants died. Miraculously, one LH was still alive and kicking despite her state. I managed to focus all my attention on her. She entered vegetative stage in the beginnings of December.

A few days ago I decided to use the space that I have, since that I only have just one vase there, so I went to a store and upgraded the lights to 400w in order to have more yield which was what I intended in the beginning. What happened is that as soon as I did this, the usual stable atmosphere of 25ºC/45%  switched to +30ºC/30% or less humidity. I do not have a humidifier here, only a dehumidifier, so the only things I have been doing is sprinkling water on the walls of the tent which grant me some 45% of humidity for some hours, or I heat a pot with water and put inside for a few minutes.

I already managed to lower the temperature to what it was when I used the previous light system by purchasing a new fan but what should I do now? In only one night 4 big leaves of my baby already got some scary yellow marks (totally different that in the picture I'm showing you).

Should I buy a dehumidifier? Did I stress my plant to much? Should I switch to the 100w lights again and just stick to less yield this time?

IMG_1634.JPG

• Like 1

CaramelFondant,

Congrats on opening your first grow journal.  That's great!

Sorry to hear about your needing surgery, but I'm glad that they could take care of the problem.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sorry also for your loss of 3.  It happens, and it won't be your last loss.  It comes with the territory.  Maybe you could drop 3 or 4 more beans to have some little sisters following big sister here.  Oh, but wait...  That tent is small.  That tent is basically a one-plant tent in my opinion.  Possibly two.  But any more, when they reach flowering stage, they will become really crowded, and that can lead to problems, like excessive shadowing or mold or pests.

OK, let's concentrate on the one girl.  First of all, she is only one girl, so you don't need to be dropping so much quid at this time.  I would definitely back-off on the Wattage until you really need the greater coverage required by a tent full of leaves.  A single plant in a tent 2 x 2 x 3-foot tall is easily served by your 100-Watt during Vegg. 

Is the 100-Watter a CFL or LED or what kind of lamp is it?  What kind of lamp is the 400-Watter?

If she becomes a leaf monster, or when she enters flowering, then maybe you could switch to the 400-Watt, although that is still a bit much for such a small tent.  You definitely must have both internal air circulation AND air extraction just above the lamp with screened inlets near the bottom of the tent.  This is a MUST to keep your temps under control when running that 400-Watter.

If you haven't already prepared, when she begins flowering, she will load the extracted air with her scent.  So if that is an issue, you will definitely need to get a carbon filter on that extraction system.  It'll be difficult to fit all this in such small a tent, but it is do-able.

Don't use warm water to raise the humidity.  That will contribute to the temperature problem.  Instead, construct a means of hanging a white towel suspended above a bowl or tray of water on the floor of the tent.(White is better than other colors to help reflect light.)  The towel should hang so that it is in contact with the water.  It will continuously wick-up the water and evaporate into the air of the tent.  If one towel is not enough, then repeat with another set on the other side of the tent, etc.  This should save you a lot of time, instead of spraying the inside so often.  But no matter which method you use, remain aware that introducing so much water into the tent, you need to be on the watch for mold.

Yellow marks?  There are many diseases or deficiencies characterized by yellow marks.  How and where the yellow is distributed will indicate the type of problem.  Best google "cannabis diseases" or similar searches, and click on a number of the results.  There are some very nice charts for diagnosis and corrective actions available on the web.  Find a good one with good pictures; print it out and include it in your grow-room library.

Don't bother with a dehumidifier.  Your extraction will do that.

What soil mix and nutrients are you using?

You don't have much head-room in that tent, so you might have to top her or supercrop her to keep her low and away from the lamps.  Learn how to LST, these methods will be very important for you to master.  You will probably need to avoid pure and predominant Sativas because they will normally stretch out of control for this tent.  For the future, you might want to try some autos.

Good luck with your grow.

Cannabissapean

Thank you so much for replying so fast! Indeed, I've always thought that this tent was too small for 3/4 plants and not that tall for the pure strain sativas. I bought this one because at the time I wasn't sure if I'd stay in my current house so I didn't want to buy such a big piece of equipment and then not knowing where to put it! :)

I will most likely think with my rational head and not with my ''stoner head'', that is, I will put away the heavy wattage, switch to the 100w system which was perfectly fine and was making my plant grow without any problems and then, in the future, when I have a bigger grow room, it will be justifiable to invest in that.

For both the 100w and the 400w I am using HPS lights. And yeah, I forgot to mention, I will post a picture here soon, my tent, as you can probably guess, is pretty tight but I did manage to fit there the lights with the reflector, a good carbon filter, an extractor and I have a 8 inch tall fan on the floor to keep the area fresh. However, that was only added only after putting the 400w system. With the 100w lights there, I didn't have the need at all to have fans in there, I'd naturally open the side window and let the plant get some fresh air and it grew amazingly so far and the temperature/humidity was constantly stable day and night.

Regarding the scent, she is starting to smell, but I have a bowl with an odor neutralizer wax (apple crumble) that I keep outside the tent from time to time for a few minutes and it fixes the smell like magic.

I'm using a soil mix from Atami that is a basic organic soil mix with a light fertilizer and I'm using the three phase bottles of BioBizz so at the moment I'm using BioGrow.

Thank you for the help! I'll keep updating here! :)

• Like 1

Amazing that you have been able to fit all that in there.  You must be a Houdini.

I enjoy using BioBizz as well.

Bingo!  I think we may have discovered the reason for the yellow spotting:

You said, "...I'm using the three phase bottles of BioBizz so at the moment I'm using BioGrow." 

I detect by that statement, that you mean that you are using only BioGrow at the moment.  If that is the case, then Bingo.  She is probably missing some Micro-nutrients or enzymes that are found in the other two bottles. 

Here is a BioBizz Chart.  Please note that BioGrow should be used alone for only one week, thereafter, all three are used together. 

In my grows with BioBizz, I have found that the full line of bottled nutrients offered by BioBizz is exceptionally beneficial, especially the BioHeaven and the Alga-Mic.

Here's the chart and some bottle-specific descriptions so you can judge for yourself.  I found these by googling "BioBizz feeding charts".  I copied them into my documents folder, then printed them out to include them in my grow-library for quick reference during feeding times.  I do that for all the nutrients that I use.  You might find that useful too:

BioBizz Feeding Chart

ioBizzNutrients & Additives |  BioBi

BioBizz grow chart

BioBizz grow chart

To find out how much of which product you need to use and when Click Here

Note: When preparing a BioBizz nutrient mix - in particular including BioGrow or Fishmix - make up only enough nutrient solution that you need to use. Left standing in a diluted nutrient reservoir you will start to notice it 'going off' (and smelling) within 48-72 hours.

BioBizz can be used with cocofibre medium too, simply increase the feeding rate by 25% as per Lightmix feed chart to compensate for the fact cocofibre contains no plant food.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Bio Grow

BioBizz BioGrow is an all natural, organic nutrient for use in the vegetative phase of soil growing.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Bio Bloom

BioBizz BioBloom is an all natural, organic nutrient for use in the flowering phase of soil growing.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Root Juice

BioBizz RootJuice stimulates explosive root growth in plants. Suitable for all substrates. Start using Rootjuice when you transplant rooted cuttings for the first time and use throughout vegetative growth and flowering.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Top Max

BioBizz TopMax is a flowering booster that promotes explosive flowering in plants. Topmax is suitable for soil or hydroponic growing and is used throughout the flower-cycle.

theme_shim.gif
Fish Mix

BioBizz FishMix is a complete liquid plant food. To be used on substrates during the growing period of the plant. Can also be used as a foliar spray. Suitable for indoor and outdoor growing.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Bioheaven

BioBizz BioHeaven is an organic plant energy booster that greatly improves your plants ability to absorb vital elements. Use Bioheaven throughout vegetative growth and flowering.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Alg-A-Mic

BioBizz Alg-A-Mic is a blend of seaweed extracts, vitamins and hormones increasing your plants overall health.

theme_shim.gif
BioBizz Leafcoat

BioBizz Leafcoat is a 100% organic spray that both strengthens plants and helps protect them against harmful fungi and pests. LeafCoat can be until two weeks prior to harvest.

• Like 1

I've changed the lights to 100w as it was previously and I made my research with the material you gave me and some extra links! I'll be sure to put the extra nutrients my baby needs. Thank you :)

This is her today, on the 22nd of January 2017. She's getting bigger and bushier and if you'd zoom in you'd see the yellow spots I mentioned earlier. I will keep updating this journal. Thank you for being such a good helper :D

IMG_1754 (2).JPG

• Like 3

Yes, I feel certain once she gets those missing micro-nutrients, she'll have no further problems.  And the leaves with the yellow spots are not a problem.  They won't repair themselves, but they won't hurt the plant either.  Just leave them in place until they die of old age or until you decide to perform lollypopping.

As long as new growth doesn't have the yellow spots, then all's well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update: It's been like at least a month and a week (if not more) since she started flowering and my LH has been growing on 100w lights. When do you think my baby is ready to harvest? :) At the moment I have no clue what to do. On one side, I've read that some people have been stuck with LH's that ''took too long'' but on the other hand I've not witnessed any growth whatsoever.

IMG_2174.PNG

IMG_2175.PNG

IMG_2176.PNG

IMG_2177.PNG

IMG_2178.PNG

IMG_2179.PNG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...