Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saintskinny

Open Blast VS Closed Column

3 posts in this topic

Howdy,

lets say I've been making BHO for my personal stash for years, and had previously been using an open ended glass blast tube, but I recently got  a tiny little closed column extractor to see how it works. What are the differences in using a CC setup as opposed to an open blast setup? Haven't had a chance to use it yet so I figured I better get an idea before I theoretically start... not sure why I'm being theoretical, but oh well lol... Any tips, tricks, etc are appreciated. 

Growers Love,

Saint

PS I know I'll need to pull a Vac in the tube, I got that covered. Thanks, all!

1 person likes this

I can not recommend techniques for BHO because the use of gas makes it really dangerous. However, have you tried rossin? it is a form of extraction by means of pressure and heat, 100% pure, 100 free of dangers.

It is not absolutely necessary to pull a vacuum on a closed system.  While a vacuum might initially help a small bit, by pulling the first bit of gas in, it would soon be exhausted by the expanding gas.  The main reason to pull a vacuum is to remove oxygen from the entire system.  After that small initial vacuum is exhausted, you should not try to pull additional vacuum, as this would pose a serious explosion risk.  After the initial vacuum is exhausted, a closed system is  manipulating by, and made to operate, using only temperature differentials.  An easy rule to remember is that a gas will always move from a warm area, to a cooler area.  That said, if you cool your receiving vessel, and warm your delivery vessel, the gas will flow, by itself, to the cold side.  The receiving vessel could be pre-cooled, along with the extraction material, in a freezer, or you can simply place it into a bucket of ice (or dry ice), to keep it cold.  At the same time, your delivery container needs to be warmed.  This is accomplished easily with a common heating pad, or by wrapping the container in a hot towel .  The process is not fast, so be patient.  It is essential to understand that gas can extract essential oils from plant material, but this only can happen when the gas is in its liquid form.  Therefore, it is essential that the delivery container be placed in an upside down position, with the valve on the bottom.  This position allows the liquid gas to come out, instead of only vapor.  Once you have allowed all (or as much as you want) of the gas to pass into your column, the first step of the extraction is complete, all your liquid gas is in the splatter platter, along with all of the extracted compounds.  Now, step 2 involves forcing the gas to leave your extract, and return to a storage container.  This is accomplished in exactly the same manner as the gas delivery, using temperature differentials.  The difference now is that all the gas is in the splatter platter.  So, we place the entire extraction rig into hot water, move our transfer hose from the top of the column, where our extraction sample is located, to a different  port, located directly on the collection can.  The storage (now receiving the gas) container is placed on ice, and the process occurs....gas goes from warm to cold.  This splatter platter purge removal process will take a lot longer than the delivery process, because you are removing gas vapors and recondensing them to a liquid, instead of directly moving liquid around.  Most collection chambers have a sight glass, so it is easy to see when all of the gas has been removed.  After all the gas is removed, the splatter platter can be opened.  You will see all the wonderful extract that you just made, but it can't be used yet.  it must still be purged of unseen residual gas.  But that is a completely different topic.