First know-what-I'm-growing-grow

ShaggyGrower

Bill's red with black spots.  He's got dodgy wings, so when he tried to take off he does a back flip.  There are shiny leafs every so often in my plants as that the dried sugar-water I feed Bill every now and again.  I'm surprised he's still there considering all the watering and moving pots in and out of the tent that been going on.

Yup, plants look good. Just waiting for flowers to appear now. They better get a move on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaggyGrower said:

Yup, plants look good. Just waiting for flowers to appear now. They better get a move on!

Wait, 2 weeks into flower and not even a flower? :o
Uhmm, do you perharps see pre-flowers near the nodes? If not, it's possible they're not mature enough to flower.. But i'm quite sure they are. Mine showed pre-flowers during the 4th week of Veg.. *scratching head*. 

Meh, maybe they're just lazy. Who knows. Only time will tell..

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Thanks @I'm Sal for the alternating internode tip.  That is JW with the alternating in the photo above.  I've just checked the others and all have alternating internodes, so hopefully what I think are flowers are actually flowers coming out. 

As this is my first proper grow,  a little help on what to look for goes a long way :)

Feeding day (yesterday).  Day 18 since switch to 12/12. One week since last feed/water.
DD 12l 1289ppm in/ 6.01ph - 1800ppm out 6.43ph of 0.8l (36ml 3% hydrogen perixide)
Nebula  12l 1299ppm in/ 5.85ph - 1895ppm out 6.25oh of 1.2l (36ml 3% hydrogen perixide)
IC  12l 1281ppm in/ 5.87 ph -  960 ppm out 6.52ph of 3.8l (36ml 3% hydrogen perixide)
SS  12l 1117ppm in/ 5.98 ph -  984 ppm out 6.42ph of 3.8l (36ml 3% hydrogen peroxide)
All plants looking great and have their own individuality (genetics) showing through now (and no balls [fingers crossed]).  SS has a reddish/copper on some leaves, perhaps Boron again or maybe switched from grow to flower nutes too quickly on this one.  Will keep an eye.  JW up to 66cm now. Lots of pre-flowers that are starting to look more and more like flowers but not there yet.
Temps between 19-29C; humidity 49-65%; 12/12; 660w (610w actual draw).  CO2 bubblers doing well in there I think.  Will have to look into ways of raising feed/water temp as it's around 18c and I'd like it nearer 22C as per the vids.
Photo's in the next post.
  • Like 2

Hey Shaggy,

I'd do 2 things to raise water temp. 
First is let the water rest a bit. I don't use tap water, but am overall not sure chlorine isn't present in the sink water: it's drinkable so i firmly believe chlorine is present after all. Leaving the water rest up to a day will evaporate most of that shit, and will stabilize the temp to the room temp.
IF i'm tired, stoned, and don't want to wait up to a day, i simply leave the feeding water on a radiator for 5-10 minutes (depends on how hot it is). 

I'm assuming you have a cold/hot sink, without the famous "luke warm" knob, so that's why i'm saying this. 
In Italy we mostly have a single knob controlling temp output, so finding "luke warm" water is really instantaneous. 
But i've seen in the UK they don't have IDEA of what i'm talking about, and their sinks are always hot as hell, or cold like icebergs, and you either end up burning your hands (and asking what Darwin has missed) or cold as a penguin.

I don't pay attention to water temp, but ofc i'd never use fridge-cold water. 
Also, i don't know if NOT paying attention to it has counter effects (xcept for the cold water described above).

Anyway, looking forward to your next post. I'm really curious.
Peace!

• Like 1

Hi shaggy i use a aquarium heater for a 100l aquarium its very simpel and preci in a bucket of 10l its working fast in the past i use the kitchen (stove) but or its to hot or to cold when you wait to get it colder 

• Like 1

Thanks @LedCherryBerry and @g22.

I currently get the water from the outside water butt and bring it in about 3 days before it's needed.  Inside it gets to room temperature, or near it, ie 18C after 3 days.  In the Greenhouse Seeds vids, Arjan says the water temp is 22C so I'd like to get it to that as I do notice a little slowdown in the day or two after I've watered and I think it's a little cold (water) shock.  Leaving it to air only gets it so high.  Aquarium heater - that's an idea!  I have to heat about 60 litres for the 12l x 5 plants, so quite a bit of water!

Oh yes, i didn't realize how much water you have to heat up.
Placing 60 litres on a radiator isn't quite as handy.. heheheh.

Another thing you could try is to place a transparent plastic film above the water bucket, fill it with some water (on the film) and put it outside in the sun.
The water above the film will act as a lens, and heat the water in the bucket. It's basically "burning ants with a lens" but on a bigger scale, and without ants.
You gotta be careful though, as it could get your water to boiling point if left too much. 

This though is a really trashy and hippie method of heating your water. 

Here's a pic for giving you an idea of "whatthefuckishetalkingabout": 2006_Water_Lens_100_2338.JPG

Peace!

• Like 2

Thanks @LedCherryBerry.  It's the middle of winter, so not much sun atm :)

I've bought an aquarium water heating truncheon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Pond-Solutions-Aquarium-Heaters/dp/B071DTP6WJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1513683770&sr=1-1&keywords=all+pond+solutions+aquarium+heaters%2C+300w

Some flower pics :)

Group photo.  SS top left, JW top right, IC middle, Nebula bottom left, DD bottom right. Bill's AWOL today.

IMG_20171219_114936.jpg

IMG_20171219_114427.jpg

IMG_20171219_114423.jpg

IMG_20171219_114407.jpg

IMG_20171219_114412.jpg

• Like 2

Your plant a realy Nice man i bought à heater of 175w for m' 60l tank it work very goed but i dont let it constantly on for économi and a bubler To i think it take 24 h to oxigene the water and for temp 24 h its enought i think or 48h before you use it 

• Like 1

Thanks @I'm Sal.  Edit: Hand feeding @I'm Sal - watering can from the top.  Good idea. I'd need a lot of bottles.  Currently putting 12 litre through each plant (yes, 12l @g22).  DD & Nebula will go up to 15 litres next time as I only had a little run off (0.8 & 1.8 respectively) and I like a little run off to give the salts a chance to leach out (mini flush).  So 60 to 66 litres to warm - a lot of 2-3 litre bottles.

@g22 - plants are in 46 litre pots and hold 8-11 litres (there media are slightly different, I was testing) of the 12 litres I give them when watering - seems to last them7 days at the moment before they weigh ~ 12kg.

I've had the SCRoG net on and off, I think I prefer off as I can access them more easily and think I can do what I need to do with LST ties.

Bill escaped.  Caught him outside the tent making a run for it.  He's now in solitary on SS at the back of the tent, again.

• Like 2

You were right @I'm Sal, lots of flowers a week later (today).  Here's one from JW taken yesterday (day 61 since germinated seed went into first pot).

JW watered/fed yesterday:  12.4kg pot weight; 12l @ 1170ppm in 6.02ph - 1300ppm out 5.88ph of 1.5l (0ml HP - Ran out) - 21.6kg wet weight  - higher ph next time to 6.5 in.

The other four will get fed/watered a day earlier than usual due Christmas, so that'll be Christmas Eve morning (24th).

I'm thinking 5 plants in 46l containers in a 1.2x1.2m tent is a bit much (my first time), 4 max I think next time as I don't think I'd have much trouble LSTing them to fill out the tent.

I'm starting to lower the max temperature in the tent a little now, and lowering humidity now that flowers have appeared. I've moved one fan that was blowing on top, to blowing from underneath. Also, not more (silicon) foliar spraying.  

IMG_20171222_155418HTEXUBWQ.jpg

• Like 3

Trichomes on DD already!

Weighted them individually and only DD & Nebula need a water/feed tomorrow.  Better dry than wet, so the others will last over Christmas.

Lowered JW to the floor as has stretched a lot more than the others, this brings it down 13cm. Still the tallest at 1.1m from the floor (80cm base of stem to top).

IMG_20171223_145129.jpg

• Like 2

All plants looking great with mega pistil development (pics in next post).  Think next time 4 x 46l pots is best for 1.2m2 tent rather than 5 (perhaps even just 2 would fill out the tent, but I'll lower to 4 first).

Plant weigh in today:

DD 15.5kg (~3 days until watering/feeding)
Nebula 16.7kg (~4 days until watering/feeding)
JW 14.1kg (~2 days until watering/feeding)
IC 11.7kg 12l ?ppm (3ml/l Shogun Hydrobloom A & B, + 2ml/l CalMag) in 4.87ph - 6.62ph out of 1030ppm of 2.2l - stubbornly high ph.
SS 13.5kg (~2 days until watering/feeding)

A few more gnat flies appearing.  I took all the plants out of the tent (weighed them as well) and gave it a good clean with a Dyson hand held and set my leaf blower off in there to blow anything out as well as giving the plants a small blast to blow any flies off them.  Bill & his mate have been missing for days.  Last I say of Bill I had to rescue him from drowning and his back legs seemed knackered.  Guess it's RIP Bill.  Not seen his mate for ages.

Temps and humidity within range.  May need a little defoliation, but I'm loathed to do that as I'm testing what happens when I leave them alone (having messed with them a lot during early veg).

Weights today:

DD 12.9kg dry weight. Note from last feed (24/12) said VERY high ppm (1907ppm), so semi-flush today. Gave 12l @ 336ppm (0.5ml/l Bloom A&B rather than full dose of 3ml/l) in 5.8ph - 6.46ph out of 1400ppm of 2.0l  - HIGH PPM so FLUSHED with 12l @ just 50ppm in 6.37ph - 6.5ph out of 1250ppm, still high. 24.5kg wet weight

Nebula 14.6kg - a couple more days before same as DD above.

JW 12.0kg dry weight. Note last feed (22/12) was said high ph. 12l @ 507ppm (1.0ml/ll Bloom A; 1.0ml/l Bloom B; 1ml/l CalMag) in 5.8ph - 6.10ph out of 906ppm of 1.6l  - OK

IC 19.5kg - perhaps a week before next feed.

SS 11.7kg dry weight. Note from last feed (18/12) said to lower ph. 12l @ 725ppm in 5.0ph - 6.37ph out of 870ppm of 1.8l - HIGH ph AGAIN - 20.3 wet weight (1.5ml; 1.5ml 1ml)

I'm running out of Shogun Hydrobloom A&B.  Granted, I bought the wrong one and should not be using hydro stuff on soil, but waste not want not and it seems to do the job.  .  I was tinkering with the idea just before Christmas of breaking into the GreenHouse Feeding's Bio Bloom feed I received for the White Rhino competition, but I resisted the temptation as I did not want to mix up the these results with these nutes.  So, these girls will be on a bloom diet of sorts this grow from now on.

A month  since switch to 12/12.  I'm guessing I'm in week 3 of flowering, so 6-7 more to go and the last 2-3 of those will be flushes, so 3-4 more weeks of feeding to eak out. 

Photo's are IC, IC & JW, and SS in the kitchen resting after being fed.

IMG_20171230_093411.jpg

IMG_20171230_093420.jpg

IMG_20171230_093520.jpg

• Like 4

OK, did not wait two days for Nebula as it's NYE and I doubt I'll be able in the next couple of days, so did her today.

Nebula 13.7kg 12l 50ppm (flush first) in 5.95ph - 6.50ph out of 1135ppm of 2.1l - HIGH ppm considering 50ppm in, so again .....

12l 450ppm in 5.95ph - 6.30ph out of 1100ppm of 12l (0.5ml Shogun HydroBloom A & B ; 1ml PK Warrior) - OK-ish 

No more watering/feeding for at least 5 days for any of them, so filled up the indoor water butt with outdoor (cold) run off to heat it up to room temperature of those days.  Realised while I'm running out of Shogun HydroBloom A & B, I have lots of Shogun PK Warrior.  This is Phosphorous and Potassium at 18/9 ratio. Says "Use from the fourth week of the flowering cycle (or when flowers and fruits begin to form) and for a period of four weeks", so a little early.  Lets see.

FYI I have:

110w real draw of fans (spread over three fans, two underneath; one near the intake and one on the opposite side, and one on top blowing under the light) (37p/days)

65w real draw extractor fan  (21p/day)

690w real draw from 660w HPS (£1.16/day)

So ~ 870w real draw during 'daytime' (12 hours), and ~175w real draw at night (water heater draws 330w, and is used the two nights before watering/feeding, so ~ 500w real draw those two nights).  So roughly £1.75/day, say 4 months = ~ £210 on electricity per grow.

Edited by ShaggyGrower
costs
  • Like 2

Top left: IC (59cm); Top right: JW (89cm);  middle: SS (56cm); bottom left: Nebula  (58cm); bottom right: DD (56cm).

I've raised JW on two giant jenga bricks to more of it's colas gets light.  It's ~20cm taller than the other plants.

All are going great guns on pistel development, MUCH better than my first grow and that was good. 

Humidity is a bit high, ranging from 50-70% but there's lots of air flow so not an issue (but something I'll keep an eye on).  Also, as I move the plants in and out of the tent, I get to have a good look at them regularly and they don't get tangled up. Temps are lowering to ~ 75F, and ~ 65F at night.

The smell just after lights go off is soooooo strong, so strong that the carbon filter can't cope for about 30 mins.

I'm learning that the bigger the pot, the more the plant can produce from a single seed.  While I like growing plants, I also like to think I'm helping the plants I grow get to their full potential and feel that finishing them in what is my medium size pot (11l) would do them a disservice (5 x 46l pots fit in my 1.2m2 2m height tent easy).  Granted, smaller pots mean more difference strains of plant can be grown.

Be the plant baby!  As a plant, what would you like?  Large pot or small?

As a grower, I'd like a bit of redundancy just in case something goes wrong with a  plant, so I'm defo steering to max 4 plants in their final 46l in my tent, and perhaps on another grow I'll just do 2 plants.

SS still has that bit of leaf damage from a deficiency/excess, and Nebula has a little of it now. They seem to be fighting through it though.

Nebula, JW and DD got massive doses of nutes early on which they're working through (EC was up to 4.0!).  New nutes will not have any nitrogen in to promote the plant to start using the overabundance of nitrogen in their leaves (they're very green) - well, that's the plan. PK Warrior 18/6/(5.1) potassium/phosphorous(/sulphur) for them. 

Harvest date is scheduled for Valentines Day.  This means I can pop the White Rhino seeds for the competition around middle January and my large tent will be available when they need it.  Currently deciding what my strategy will be for the White Rhino competition considering the change from liquid to solid feed (powder).

IMG_20180104_123608.jpg

Edited by ShaggyGrower
added heights
  • Like 5