ShaggyGrower - White Rhino and BIO Feeds test

Hi all,

Woohoo, it's competition time.  I have received 10 x White Rhino seeds & GHS BIO powder feedings in good time and I'll be looking to germinate in January.

1.2m2 indoor grow starting off under 1 x 125w blue CFL (perhaps x 2) in a 60cmx60cmx90cm propagation tent. 

Mulling getting a MH for the rest of veg, else it will be that CFL plus 250w/400 of HPS.

600w/660w HPS for flower (new bulb).

428m3 extraction through carbon filter.

Substrate: 70% Canna Coco (unfed, ie, not the Pro Plus) & 30% Perlite - so I can see how JUST the BIO feeds get on.

Nutrients: Green House BIO feedings only - Water will be roof run off at a ppm of ~ 40 (ec 0.08) @ 23C.

Containers: 1 litre / 11 litre / 46 litre

I shall be topping early & LSTing to keep height down.

Good luck everyone!

IMG_20171222_084427.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, ayzns said:

Hello Shaggy, don't you think 46liter is a bit overkill? unless you want to give a very large veg stage I'm I right?
25liter in my opinion is ok, just my opinion bro!
Happy growing!

Hi @ayzns, I had a look at the GH grow video for White Rhino [a] and a 65 litre pot was used per plant [1].  My aim is to create a lot of yield of good quality in my 1.2m2x2m tent (Arjan & Franco got 144g dry from a hydro WR, I'm aiming to beat that :) ).  I'm a great believer in what happens below the soil enables what happens above, so, being-the-plant, I figure there'll be more vigorous growth above ground (buds) if there's vigorous growth/space below (roots).  

4 x 46l =  184l of growing media.  I could have kept to 20l and grown 9 plants (180l), etc.  I kinda like the idea that less is more ( @I'm Sal) and so less plants are easier to care for than more.  

I do want to give them a very large veg stage, not in time but in space so the large root mass will grow & feed many colas (~15 per plant).

They're going to need solid foundations to be able to build me lots of chunky buds :D

EDIT: Unfortunately, YouTube have pulled GHS chanel. Fuckers.

[a] - 

[1] - GH used 28 day clones, rooted 14 days then another 14 days before flowering, so 8 weeks of veg, same as what I'm going for..

• Like 3

Hello Shaggy,

That's sound good here, small amount of plants but big plants!

I like this way!

I use the biofeeding before in a 50ltr container with great results. Just a little N deficiencies. Begining at the week 4 ;-)

• Like 1

The preparation begins.

I've made up 6l of Greenhouse Feeding Enhancer.  Ph'd the 54ppm run off down to 4.3 then added the Enhancer. Then added a heaped teaspoon of molasses. Added a decent dose of Hydrogen Peroxide. Mixed for 10 mins.  This all brought the ph up to 6.25 and 250ppm.

I've put the above feed into a large growing media holding pot (~50l, 30l of media in there) and given it a good mix.  The growing media is Canna Coco Coir Natural (not the Pro).

My reasoning is I'd like the beneficial bacteria in the Enhancer to get an early start on making nice nutrients out of the organic matter of the Coir for the girls.  I am planning to pop my berries in about a week or so, so this give the media & bacteria time to meet and hopefully party.

DSCF3475.JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, slimjim said:

One point to consider, hydrogen peroxide ( H2O2) is bleach.

Is it a good idea to mix with beneficial bacteria which the 

Enhancer contains. Just a thought bro.

PEACE

Hi @slimjim,  yes I thought about that (one cancelling out/killing the other) but thought I'd give it a go.  On researching the beneficial bacteria, they seem to like a ph of 7-7.2.  I was worried about the high ph when I mixed with 5.0 (came to 7.79) so ph down'd it to 4.3 before Enhancer which got it up to 6.25.  Now thinking should have simply follow the instructions (and will from now on) as 6.25 might not be enough in hindsight.

On the flip side, I've also read that HP (and the unstable oxygen molecule in it) kills mostly 'anaerobic' bacterium (oxygen hating bacterium) but that it aids the 'aerobic' bacterium (oxygen loving bacterium) of which a lot are beneficial.  I think Trichoderma are aerobic and Bacillus not sure, some site say aerobic, some say it's now classed as anaerobic [see 1 below].

Harvest day is ~ 6 weeks away for my other grow, so will be popping the White Rhino beans in a week or so.

[1] - https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Bacillus_subtilis - ""Bacillus subtilis contains catalase KatA and MrgA, an enzyme that is responsible in the catalysis of the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen, and superoxide dismutase, an enzyme that catalyzes the breakdown of superoxide into oxygen and hydrogen peroxide (Bandow 2002). " "

@Jose.gh, what's your take on using Hydrogen Peroxide along side Enhancer?

Edited by ShaggyGrower
Added a question for Jose
  • Like 4

Ok, 11am Monday was germination preparation.  All the beans had sunk by 5.30pm that same day.  One had something trailing from it, like earth was coming out of it or something.  Very strange. Anyhoo ....

Then with @g22's vertical germination in mind, I fashioned some vertical seed holders out of some bud jar lids and tissue paper.

Ph'd run off water (40ppm, ec 0.08) to 5.0 and added a little (0.5g/l) of Greenhouse Feeding Enhancer; soaked the tissue; placed in the White Rhino beans; pop the top on securing with elastic band; then stand on side (so roots can get a gravity assist and know which way to head, cheers @g22); then place in a nice warm dark place (ooh err Mrs).

Had a look at 10pm last night and all had cracked their shells.  As of now they're as below, with small tap roots.  I've resealed and moistened and placed back, will have a look how long tap root is this evening.

IMG_20180117_100621.thumb.jpg.3bfb951992e1a0dd5df7f8368f03e24b.jpg

Happy Growing!

• Like 6

Hello fellow farmers/competitors/watchers,

Tap root a little longer, but not much so wondering if was too moist. 

IMG_20180118_105806.thumb.jpg.e745456f0d27efc7be34652fbaed425e.jpg

So, I've planted them.

They're now in 1l pots with the pre-prepared Canna Coco Coir Natural & Greenhouse Feeding Enhancer.  The pots have not been watered and the media is nice and fluffy with a little moisture in it but really not much.

IMG_20180118_110430.thumb.jpg.a18807a6b188f0a39dbd23571d2ec621.jpg

They're now in a 28c environment and I shall attempt to keep humidity very high initially of course.

Happy Growing!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, slimjim said:

You did right Shaggy, once the seed has cracked 

pot it, there is not many that do not make it. Just

keeping it moist amongst others become easier.

Good show. 

PEACE

Thanks @slimjim.  I think I keep them too moist, ie, wet, too late on.  Still learning that fine line.  I'm now thinking wet (floating) until sunk; very moist/wet until shells have cracked and I can see a small tap root; then just moist but not wet.  Though process is, once the seed has absorbed as much as it needs to stretch out of its case, it does not need as much moisture indeed too much will drown it I'm finding, hence why I transferred them to the moist (but not wet) pots. Thoughts?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slimjim said:

Unless you allow your pot to sit in water, coco

is almost impossible to over-water as the air

content is said to be 24% upwards.        http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/40/7/2138.full.pdf

Hope this helps and Good luck.

PEACE

Thanks @slimjim, my bad, I was talking about me keeping my tissue/cotton wool too moist (when germinating) but I did not explain my self well.

'As of now they're as below, with small tap roots.  I've resealed and moistened and placed back, will have a look how long tap root is this evening.' - this is where I over moistened and where next time I'll pop them straight into coco coir rather than back in the germination jar lids/tissue/cotton wool.

Happy Growing!

Matriarch ('M') and her peers are now in the propagation tent (60cm x 60 cm x 90cm), 3cm (for tight initial internodes) from a 125w blue CFL 24hrs/day.  The plants are in little glasshouses (shot glasses) with most of the media not (so more open for gas exchange with the tent air).

M is 2cm, with two others starting to show and one still a no show as yet (although did have a tap root cracking through so hopefully is just a little slow).

Temps ~ 28-30c; Humidity 85%+.  I have a 1ml syringe which I am using to put a drop of half strength enhancer on them every now an again.

Happy Growing!

IMG_20180120_125936.jpg

• Like 4

Hello @ShaggyGrower,

For tigth internode intensity of ligh is important but not only.

Do you be carefull with the difference between day temperature and night temperature. 

So it is better in the veg stage to have the same temperature in the day & the night or  something that come close. For example: 24 day & 24 night is perfect! Or 24 day  & 20 at night is good too. Warmer night inhibited the plant grow.

That means if you dont heat the night it is better to controle the temperature at the day with the lamp. (more space between the lamp and the plant to have less difference between the day and the night)

Thats is one parameter for contrlol the internode space but not the only one, intensity, nutrient or a good watering strategy can help too ;-)

Have a nice grow!

• Like 2

Hi @OG.Naj

Thanks the info.  You're quite right. There's lots in play.  My current grow [1] that's nearing completion had a good early start and I hope to repeat it in this grow log.

This early, 24 hrs a day is the same for them I guess as they're isolated in a tent with minimal environmental changes.

Happy Growing!

[1] - http://forums.strainhunters.com/topic/11066-first-know-what-im-growing-grow/