Male x Female ?

RedBarn

What is the significance of a Male x Female cross; for example, what is particularly extraordinary about Neville's Haze x Hawaiian Snow vs Hawaiian Snow x Neville's Haze?

I made my first cross and have about 200 seeds which I want to plant all plants to create my F2 seedstock for (?10000 seeds) and then do some selections.

The purpose of my question is to fill my head with more knowledge. Happy days, peace, and love, and stay high

In my experience it is of no particular importance. Anyways the sexual reproduction produces a random mix of chromosomes from mother and father, and no seed is a like in this sense (only if you create F1 seeds which are first filial cross from stable parents (stabilized over 6-10generations minimum) and not just the first cross of any two random plants, like many people wrongfully use it in the cannabis community). So if all seeds are unique, the cross or phenotype you want may be created either way if you cross male x female or vice versa. So no particular importance, imo. 

Compare it with humans, is it important that some man reproduce with some woman or the other way around? Doesn't really make sense as the children will be unique either way.

Try set up a punnett square and swap the female and male, you will get the same genotype percentages either way.

• Like 2

Thank you @sliver1 for the information.

I don't have to worry about the mom or dad being the sativa for example to later find what I am searching for? What I was worried about is having the sativa dad's effects being dominated by the indica mom in their offspring but it sounds like that is not a concern at all? I crossed a Sativa dominant White Widow male (super vanilla, mint cucumber, haze) with a sativa dominant Mazar-I-Sharif (landrace with an extremely overwhelming and unmistakable old school marihuana smell from meters away (that kind of smell that makes everyone think WEED from their oldest memory of first smelling it) with, after close inspection, background of berry, licorice, mint, sandalwood, lemon, carrot,  champagne)..

With the Mazar I know it is usually a 100% indica but within it's gene pool are sativas and I got one of them high highs with no ceiling and expansive clarity, focus, and energy. So I was worried about the fact the Mazar is the mom and it's indica genes might dominate the hybrid since I am a big fan of the most sativa dominant White Widows. Some folks might call this the White Rhino strain but mine is not since the Mazar is pure heirloom landrace direct from Afghanistan fields. No hint of skunk in this Mazar at all.

Cheers and happy days

• Like 2

As for the LED's I am discovering what I thought was a simple project is quite complicated but quite simple once I find the answer and solder it all up. Once I get a few prototypes I will show them off. Removing the heat from LED's is the most difficult issue, at least, for me, since 1 cob alone is 700w requiring custom engineered heatsink.I have 3 prototypes, one is 700w single cob, the other is 3 cobs total <600w, the 3rd is 1400w with 4 cobs. I studied a lot and for some reason nobody is using what I discovered is most important for cellular respiration so in my stubbornness I am producing what I believe will produce the best indoor in the world. That sounds like a commercial but all visions do

• Like 1

Some of the seeds from your cross should be dominated by either parent, there should be many "random" phenotypes in this first cross of yours. This is the probably for breeders. They have to pop ALL seeds in search of that one phenotype with perfect mix from either parent and then inbreed that phenotype.

Ive never heard of a 700w COB that sounds absolutely insane :D I still believe the Cree cxb3590 chips are the best these days, but every expensive, would be cool to see something else :)

I hope you share your build when it's done :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sliver1 said:

Some of the seeds from your cross should be dominated by either parent, there should be many "random" phenotypes in this first cross of yours. This is the probably for breeders. They have to pop ALL seeds in search of that one phenotype with perfect mix from either parent and then inbreed that phenotype.

Ive never heard of a 700w COB that sounds absolutely insane :D I still believe the Cree cxb3590 chips are the best these days, but every expensive, would be cool to see something else :)

I hope you share your build when it's done :) 

Your words are very encouraging to me. These are specially custom engineered cobs. I will be very excited to share this innovation. As far as cobs go, what I learned best is that the more heat you can remove the brighter and more efficient your lights will be. Some special attention and engineering can go into the driver's components but basically more research+development=harder to justify cost unless there is a great plan to compensate the effort without losing focus on just growing and instead get carried away with revolutionizing the drivers industry, lights, and heatsinks all at the same time, lol.

As far as the breeding goes I want to do more of a herding than a specific plant hunt. So if I could narrow down 10% of the plants that have all the leanings I like and continue culling every generation this way so I can drop any bean and get close to that high high dance/work-horse focus and energy I like with other nice background qualities. Is this possible ? I don't know

Haha plz set your life on pause and revolutionize the LED industry :D I have been thinking about that soo much, but I have zero skills with the physics of electrical components and how to improve them.

What you describe there is actually inbreeding and that is definitely the way to go :) you take the best looking seeds from the best looking plants and continue breeding.

• Like 1

There is so much room for innovation in the LED industry. The main trouble I have discovered is the manufacturing processes itself are stagnant, in that the best things which are usually least known are the most expensive producing similar, negligible, or reasonably improved results, but of course demand for certain wave lengths and standards will improve all of this value/cost assessments. Physics is absolutely the backbone of LED improvements. The heat and the light are both currents of frequency that can be controlled to an extent. Without getting too carried away the question is then how do we produce the new standard that is ahead of the learning curve and here comes the V1 prototypes. 

Thank you for the clarification on the inbreeding. That is good to know I am thinking in the right direction. Long before I knew anything about seeds people told me I am a spotted and striped seed.

All of this aside I look forward to sharing the experience with the most trusted friends of the Cannabis industry: Greenhouse Seeds. There will be a nice thread before June showing examples. For anyone curious to replicate this cause, go to China for LED, Taiwan for heatsink, and good luck with the drivers industry -- what a present mess.

Big ups and blessings.

P.S. I have a 400w cob here now and there are teams of people waiting to create any size cob for a price but again people be careful with the combination of heat and electricity and have someone run your numbers for you to make certain things will operate 100%.

As far as preengineered lights go they are everywhere but very guarded with getting specific and very sketchy when claiming they are providing the wavelength you asked for when it might be 20-60nm off. Keeping this experience open source will be the best route forward since I believe in the good of competition by best practice

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thers already high power cobs that go into the 100's I believe thers one that goes to 1500w..ther disgned in silicon vallay ..cant remember the company name but ursa used some in ther led..each cob in ther unit is capable of reaching 200wats no problem with out the cobs burning out..an those are some of the lowest powered ones.