76 posts in this topic

+1 more pop after 100+ hours soaking in water. (112)

 

The only beans remaining are all green and these are the beans popping after so many days in the water.

 

I am curious of their actual vitality since they are producing a nice looking pointed tap root but let's see if these remaining 22 green seeds which sprouted a root will pop above the dirt.

 

Curiously one of these beans has sent a root above the soil two days in a row. I read this is a sign of a very strong plant but I am also wondering if 1) low oxygen in soil, too compact, 2) something wrong with the plant for not shooting the root down and sending up it's leaves

 

Either way right now I have what appears as 92 very strong plants and 20 waiting to send their heads above soil.

 

The remaining seeds may pop in some days but they were tossed to the garden. Hopefully I am able to replace my 264 seeds this season with my 92 plants yes.

 

The hybrid vigor of the seedlings is very pleasing to my eye so far. The shape, is very pointed leaf to wide and leafy from dark blue-green to fluorescent lime-green.

 

The stems are all red which comes as a signature from the Mazar-I-Sharif and is viewed in an earlier blurred photo of the previous mom.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A wonderful surprise tonight revealed 1/2 of the green beans (123 total) have sprouted above the dirt therefore the seeds are not as without vitality as I previously thought.

 

I will wonder for now why the green seeds needed a 5 day soak in water to sprout a small tail and then to very quickly grow above the soil with excellent vigor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all the hours of manicuring them man ,its going to be killing .hope to see some picture's of the guerrilla grow late on :clapping:  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jsm said:

all the hours of manicuring them man ,its going to be killing .hope to see some picture's of the guerrilla grow late on :clapping:  

Yes I thought about this and What I want to do (what sounds good in my head right now but might not even be possible later on) is to store the whole plant in a cardboard box like I see Arjan and Franco do and when time to smoke, trim the branch and the nug right there on the spot and otherwise the whole plant dries and cures in the box. My facts might be wrong on this process but today or this week I will chase down this GHS video to review again.

 

As an update: all of these green beans have sprouted so an unexpected 22 plants to grow out.

 

I am wondering

  •  
  • How many of my 130 plants will be male, female?
  • How many will survive nature?
  • How many will grow large?
  • How many plots will I have - 6, 10, or 20? (revealed after harvest)

 

How big of a hole is sufficient for keeping water on the plant and producing a kilo per plant? 

 

Can I dig a 3 gallon hole with 1 gallon of super soil and call it good hoping the worms turn my 3 gallon hole into a 75 gallon root system?

 

All of the babies are 1 finger tall right now. When all of the heads are fully up out of the soil in a week I will take photos of each and every one of them and place them in a collage to spot any differences in leaf structure.

 

So far they are full of hybrid vigor. The Mazar-I-Sharif is the #1 smoke I have smoked I think ever. The beans were collected from Afghanistan in 2007 by a good friend of the Cannabis community (TRSC) and the aroma and effect was of the highest complexity. The MIS is the foundation for strains like LSD and I am sure many others but the plant alone deserves no hybridization though mine was hybridized out of an almost failed season last year with only my female MiS and WW male surviving to give beans for this season.

 

My goal is to climatize for my area and have enough beans to throw them by the hundreds and collect beans with the plants that survive to continue the process of creating high quality feral cannabis in my area as well as some other plans revealed later this year on GHS forum.

 

Happy planting and growing and smoking and promoting the good herb

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most beautiful thing just happened.

 

I am gathering soil in the night-time for transplanting many sprouts from teacup to larger cup and I am digging in the muddy soil and I see blue glowing smears in the soil.

 

I look hard and wonder greatly am I seeing what I am seeing and pick up in my hand what I reach for and it is glowing right before my face. I am amazed by this soil that my plants will be enjoying and I look on the Internet for 'blue glowing bacteria and find this information:

 

Angel’s Glow: The Bacterium That Saved Civil War Soldiers

 

How amazing is my soil aye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RedBarn said:

Yes I thought about this and What I want to do (what sounds good in my head right now but might not even be possible later on) is to store the whole plant in a cardboard box like I see Arjan and Franco do and when time to smoke, trim the branch and the nug right there on the spot and otherwise the whole plant dries and cures in the box. My facts might be wrong on this process but today or this week I will chase down this GHS video to review again.

 

As an update: all of these green beans have sprouted so an unexpected 22 plants to grow out.

 

I am wondering

  •  
  • How many of my 130 plants will be male, female?
  • How many will survive nature?
  • How many will grow large?
  • How many plots will I have - 6, 10, or 20? (revealed after harvest)

 

How big of a hole is sufficient for keeping water on the plant and producing a kilo per plant? 

 

Can I dig a 3 gallon hole with 1 gallon of super soil and call it good hoping the worms turn my 3 gallon hole into a 75 gallon root system?

 

All of the babies are 1 finger tall right now. When all of the heads are fully up out of the soil in a week I will take photos of each and every one of them and place them in a collage to spot any differences in leaf structure.

 

So far they are full of hybrid vigor. The Mazar-I-Sharif is the #1 smoke I have smoked I think ever. The beans were collected from Afghanistan in 2007 by a good friend of the Cannabis community (TRSC) and the aroma and effect was of the highest complexity. The MIS is the foundation for strains like LSD and I am sure many others but the plant alone deserves no hybridization though mine was hybridized out of an almost failed season last year with only my female MiS and WW male surviving to give beans for this season.

 

My goal is to climatize for my area and have enough beans to throw them by the hundreds and collect beans with the plants that survive to continue the process of creating high quality feral cannabis in my area as well as some other plans revealed later this year on GHS forum.

 

Happy planting and growing and smoking and promoting the good herb

so many questions and doubts ,growing your own isn't simple or relaxing at all ,feeling the load brother !  hope everything goes well and remember mother earth takes care of us at the end ,nature does her own thing at the end, just take a step back at certain times  and just enjoy your grow  ,i used to grown with my own produced seeds back in the days but these last years i just buy them feminized , but my experience tells me that a first year seed is more likely to be a female ,then when its older then a year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note to self: Check plants more frequently during the day.

 

Update: 5 sprouts died to suns unfiltered intensity (the majority are loving it!), 17 fell to exhaustion but are standing back up now, and 6 are laying down and may recover.

 

Also, I am adding some shade for the seedlings and rotating shade/sun during the more frequent visits to keep things kosher. All in all, a mistake I can own for the cost of the loss of 5 with 100+ remaining.  Still a pity but one that will not be forgotten and a mistake that will not be had again.

 

Again, there are some real standouts blowing up with the sun with nice red and purple stems (the Mazar-I-Sharif is known for it's red stem) also some real light green sativa qualities in those sun lovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jsm said:

so many questions and doubts ,growing your own isn't simple or relaxing at all ,feeling the load brother !  hope everything goes well and remember mother earth takes care of us at the end ,nature does her own thing at the end, just take a step back at certain times  and just enjoy your grow  ,i used to grown with my own produced seeds back in the days but these last years i just buy them feminized , but my experience tells me that a first year seed is more likely to be a female ,then when its older then a year 

Thank you jsm again for the blessings.

 

Yes the questions and doubts in my naivety permeate my mind and experience and one day things will be easier for us all across this world when the plant is recognized as healthy and legal globally.

 

Buying seeds feels awesome that is for certain. I have 140 strains on my wishlist on Seedsman. But I am a poor man in my wallet but a rich man in my heart so I will work hard to create many high quality seeds from the good genetics I have.

 

I am right now wondering if I should pop my Pavarti Jungli seeds from RSC to cross with some of my moms out of this bunch. Pavarti Jungli has tested at 3.4% THCV (wow!).

 

I was going around and around thinking, "Okay this year just 1 giant seedstock for the F1 of my cross from last and then I cross with a new strain next year with the new giant seed stock." 

 

But I may as well have a test garden which every season receives additional hybrid vigor  therefore based on this sentence I am now doing this every year to see how far hybrid vigor can go! I am so excited.

 

That is interesting to hear of the first-year seed being more likely female. I will keep a close tally here since this journal helps me keep my thoughts which are on the forefront of my mind as they come in. 

 

My Parvati Jungli are potentially quite old (2-3 years) but will germinate so this will be interesting to see the M/F ratio. 

 

Blessings to all 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a thing I feel in my gut is true:

 

The best way to sow seeds is directly in the dirt and let them enjoy their own schedule and sunlight on their own. This gives the plant a seriously thick root and stem.

 

What happened to me is I sprouted indoor and that gave me a very thin root and stem structure that was not capable of handling the sun and withered very quickly and killed 5 plants.

 

I have another sprout coming up right now that looks like an anaconda and will probably be the healthiest of them all.

 

That aside I am about to directly sow a few seeds of each variety of beneficial companion plants into each container.

 

1. English Lavender.

2. Munstead Lavender

3. Oregano

4. Sage

5. Thyme

6. Spearmint

7. Rosemary

 

I am not worried about competition since they will all be in the ground at the end of the month. I am worried about future pests wanting to eat my leaves so I will add some other leaves for them to avoid or try to eat which they will not enjoy or will otherwise attract like a magnet many beneficial insects to the area.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i always keep my new seedlings indoor for at least 1.5 to 2 months , just in a very simple and low tech set up ,a simple small and low watt lamp that a can use to push and pull the plant (pushing it closer to the light bulb the plant will make inter note's faster  and by pulling it further away from the bulb you will stretch the plant taller )

 

in the netherlands we normally plant new plants of any kind in the garden after the 15th of may ,because we don't have any risk of having night frost after this date ,some strategy's will work all around the world ,but we still are growing in complete different parts of the world man .

 

some plant or herbs can be used as natural repellents to bugs and other weedkilling bugs  ,i use a natural spice from aptus ,called dislike ,works great for me .but then again i only have to control 4 plants at the end .keep up the faith brother the day will come ,the rules and regulations over here are becoming more strict each an every year ,shops are being closed  every day but still the coverment happily collect taxes over our backs when we buy our weed  when the shop owners are not allowed to buy in the product that the are selling ???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RedBarn said:

Note to self: Check plants more frequently during the day.

 

Update: 5 sprouts died to suns unfiltered intensity (the majority are loving it!), 17 fell to exhaustion but are standing back up now, and 6 are laying down and may recover.

 

Also, I am adding some shade for the seedlings and rotating shade/sun during the more frequent visits to keep things kosher. All in all, a mistake I can own for the cost of the loss of 5 with 100+ remaining.  Still a pity but one that will not be forgotten and a mistake that will not be had again.

 

Again, there are some real standouts blowing up with the sun with nice red and purple stems (the Mazar-I-Sharif is known for it's red stem) also some real light green sativa qualities in those sun lovers. 

when i here about red and purple stems in the beginning of a plant my first thought will be , cold air on the seedling or young plant .sure there are strains with a signature coloring on the plant or leaves but mostly the will show at the end of the blooming stage   ,so question here do you have a reading on the night tepature's ?? 

 

maybe the use of a good temperature meter which measures the current ,highest and lowest  temperature can explain anything for ya ,so you can rule out or react on possible problems .leave it for some days with your plants and you will learn alot and of course check it every day   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Moon tonight .. dropping more seeds, direct sow, no soak or paper towel - both methods are terrible for the outdoor grow producing 25-50% weak stems any time I have tried this and as of this year I am not doing this method any longer.

 

I have had 23 plants die, about 60 healthy plants, and 30 struggling plants. The 30 struggling plants will either be binned or thrown into a 1m2 plot and see what comes of it.

 

New strains: Kumaoni, Kerala, Parvati Jungli (3.4% THCV!)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 0:01 PM, jsm said:

when i here about red and purple stems in the beginning of a plant my first thought will be , cold air on the seedling or young plant .sure there are strains with a signature coloring on the plant or leaves but mostly the will show at the end of the blooming stage   ,so question here do you have a reading on the night tepature's ?? 

 

maybe the use of a good temperature meter which measures the current ,highest and lowest  temperature can explain anything for ya ,so you can rule out or react on possible problems .leave it for some days with your plants and you will learn alot and of course check it every day   

Probably the cold nights mate. Though each seedling differed from metallic dark purple to bright tomato red with one seedling even having purple border on it's leaves but not the others. Some plants are dark purple others are lime fluorescent green. All plants are outdoor, night time was dipping right to 1'C but now the coldest nights will be 15'C. As a result these early plants have developed amazing root systems and very little canopy growth which hopefully leads to a larger harvest down the line.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, jsm said:

i always keep my new seedlings indoor for at least 1.5 to 2 months , just in a very simple and low tech set up ,a simple small and low watt lamp that a can use to push and pull the plant (pushing it closer to the light bulb the plant will make inter note's faster  and by pulling it further away from the bulb you will stretch the plant taller )

 

in the netherlands we normally plant new plants of any kind in the garden after the 15th of may ,because we don't have any risk of having night frost after this date ,some strategy's will work all around the world ,but we still are growing in complete different parts of the world man .

 

some plant or herbs can be used as natural repellents to bugs and other weedkilling bugs  ,i use a natural spice from aptus ,called dislike ,works great for me .but then again i only have to control 4 plants at the end .keep up the faith brother the day will come ,the rules and regulations over here are becoming more strict each an every year ,shops are being closed  every day but still the coverment happily collect taxes over our backs when we buy our weed  when the shop owners are not allowed to buy in the product that the are selling ???? 

Your 6-8 week buffer seems about right. I certainly want to sex the plants first before I go making a big hole for a male producing plenty of pollen from a small hole.

 

I am in Mediterranean kind of climate, Some years March is okay, other years there are surprise snow and ice in April after weeks of nice weather and will harm many healthy green nut trees and other plants.

 

The people need to teach and use their knowledge and the restrictions will lift. The whole world is in serious crisis right now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am watering with Activated Compost Tea.

 

Here is my method.

 

1 5 gallon bucket

1 60 gallon aquarium air pump (2 hoses)

1 Pouch of compost tea bag (burlap coffee material)

(Optional) Rock dust of your choice, for me volcanic rock dust

 

Fill bucket with tap water

Bubble water for 1 hour to off-gas Chlorine

Add modest amount of honey and continue bubbling for 1 hour, this process off-gases the Chloramine

Brew tea bag 24 hours

Enjoy

 

I drink quite a lot of green tea so I am saving my used tea bags and adding them into my compost tea bag. The plants love it

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kerala seeds have the most beautiful pattern and coloring of any seed I have ever laid my eyes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some explanation for the volcanic rock dust: I am using the cheap bag of volcanic garden rocks from the big store. After some research I discovered these volcanic rocks are the froth from the volcano and virtually identical in chemical composition to harvested volcanic rocks so crushing these into powder produces a nice and very affordable rock dust ($0.15/lb)

 

Also as an aside this volcanic rock dust powder makes the most excellent addition for your pulverized lime when making mortar for construction projects giving your concrete or plaster the highest pozzolanic activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kumaoni seeds are the largest seeds I have ever laid my eyes on. Easily 3-5x the size of any other seed. They practically look like beads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a video of Arjan and Franco showing how to store entire Cannabis plant after harvest in a cardboard box. I believe YouTube removed this video. Please post a link if you shall read and find this video.

 

The premise behind this idea is trim as you need the herb which really sounds like a quality way of curing as long as you have confidence in a proper drying environment eliminating mold concerns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RedBarn said:

Some explanation for the volcanic rock dust: I am using the cheap bag of volcanic garden rocks from the big store. After some research I discovered these volcanic rocks are the froth from the volcano and virtually identical in chemical composition to harvested volcanic rocks so crushing these into powder produces a nice and very affordable rock dust ($0.15/lb)

 

Also as an aside this volcanic rock dust powder makes the most excellent addition for your pulverized lime when making mortar for construction projects giving your concrete or plaster the highest pozzolanic activity.

aren't you afraid of making your soil to compact with the use of the volcanic rock dust ,over here i use lava stones (hydro beats) at the bottom of my pots ,loosely mixt  together with the first layer of soil it makes it easier for the roots to breathe .last year i have used for the first time batquano (plagron)  witch i soak(24 ours) at a certain mix ratio in ten liters of water before giving this solution  to my plants and even this solution compacted my soil to much according to myself ,so i won't be doing it this season any more  ,according to some off my friends and fellow farmers it would enhance the flavour of the smoke at the  end ,sadly it wasn't really working .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedBarn said:

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a video of Arjan and Franco showing how to store entire Cannabis plant after harvest in a cardboard box. I believe YouTube removed this video. Please post a link if you shall read and find this video.

 

The premise behind this idea is trim as you need the herb which really sounds like a quality way of curing as long as you have confidence in a proper drying environment eliminating mold concerns

you need a hole lot of good,dark and climate space if you want to store every single plant  in a single box my friend ,and even then very hard to keep them good for a longer period i think ,all best wishes in making the decision  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RedBarn said:

Your 6-8 week buffer seems about right. I certainly want to sex the plants first before I go making a big hole for a male producing plenty of pollen from a small hole.

 

I am in Mediterranean kind of climate, Some years March is okay, other years there are surprise snow and ice in April after weeks of nice weather and will harm many healthy green nut trees and other plants.

 

The people need to teach and use their knowledge and the restrictions will lift. The whole world is in serious crisis right now.

all those stupid politicians all over the world should have the see the video's of the strainhunters landrace and really listing to all the locals who are growing for over hundreds and hundreds of years ,and how the pharmaceutical world finally are ready to invest in the manny very good possibilities witch this plant can give us and help so many people around the world   , keep up the faith brother !!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mazar-I-Sharif x White Widow

 

A few shots of the 60+ lot. Cups are 20 oz.(0.57 liter)

 

I caught a large aphid on photo 4 which is the scarring you see on the 2 leaves

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Redbarn, the seedlings are looking great, yes i had pests on my plants tiny little black thrips. I also like green tea, and thats a good idea with the water, i use tap water, and times rain if i catch it in a bucket.

 

You have so many plants mate to watch 60 !  I think next time, i try better soils. I like the idea of benefitical plants, as this saves using pesticides. I use the paper towel method for germination.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SmokeyfromOz said:

Hi Redbarn, the seedlings are looking great, yes i had pests on my plants tiny little black thrips. I also like green tea, and thats a good idea with the water, i use tap water, and times rain if i catch it in a bucket.

 

You have so many plants mate to watch 60 !  I think next time, i try better soils. I like the idea of benefitical plants, as this saves using pesticides. I use the paper towel method for germination.

Cheers SmokeyfromOz, thank you.

 

Yes many plants to watch maybe double that 60. Next time is winter plot preparation, sowing beneficial winter plants in the holes, direct sow the beans a week before the last freeze, and skip lots of headache and enjoy very healthy plants which never received transplant.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

About us

Strain Hunters is a series of documentaries aimed at informing the general public about the quest for the preservation of the cannabis plant in the form of particularly vulnerable landraces originating in the poorest areas of the planet.

Cannabis, one of the most ancient plants known to man, used in every civilisation all over the world for medicinal and recreational purposes, is facing a very real threat of extinction. One day these plants could be helpful in developing better medications for the sick and the suffering. We feel it is our duty to preserve as many cannabis landraces in our genetic database, and by breeding them into other well-studied medicinal strains for the sole purpose of scientific research.

Social Network

Add us on social networks