3rd Mega Contest - Sweet Valley Kush - UK Outdoor - Completed

gasmeter

Today is the 20th of April 4/20 I though it would be a good day to get the ball rolling and jump into the ring and get started on my journal for the 3rd Mega Contest for my outdoor run

I will also be doing an indoor run once the Sweet Mangos finish at the end of May and my tent is empty.

I am hoping to do 2 over lapping runs outdoor this season, the second starting once the first 2 plants have been in flower 1 month.

Here is some information about this first part of the outdoor grow.

Strain

2 X Sweet Valley Kush = Green House Seed Company

Growing Medium

RootIt sponge plugs
BioBizz All Mix

Containers/Pots

16 litre Root Pouches

Plant Feed

Green House powder feeding products.

BioGrow

20april-2019-ghsc-bio-grow.jpg

NPK: 7-2-4
BioGrow is an all-in-one bio fertilizer in powder form, formulated specifically for the vegetative growth of all plants.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/bio-grow-en.html

BioBloom

20april-2019-ghsc-bio-bloom.jpg

NPK 4-9-9
BioBloom is an all-in-one bio fertilizer in powder form, formulated  specifically for the flowering stage of all plants.
All essential nutrients are provided by the natural minerals and organic raw  materials.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/bio-bloom.html

Enhancer

20april-2019-ghsc-bio-enhancer.jpg

Humic Acids & Seaweed Extract

BioEnhancer is a blend of humic acids, seaweed extract,  
Trichoderma harzianum strains and Bacillus subtilis.
It increases the vitality of the plant, enhances the uptake of nutrients and improves the quality of the soil.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/enhancer.html

Last year I grew 2 Passion #1 outside in 14 litre rubble buckets and the plants were a decent size, since then inside I have been using root pouches and they are great to work with the dirt dries out nicely and the plants have a much better root structure and healthier plants and better bud.

So I decided to use them outside too and I ordered 4 16 litre root pouches which should arrive on Wednesday ready to be brought into play.

This morning I put two of the Sweet Valley Kush beans into a little glass of water and I am waiting for them to sink.

20april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-beans-soaking.jpg

More updates to follow soon, good luck everyone and happy growing...

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 7

A quick progress update.

This morning when I got up I checked the 2 Sweet Valley Kush beans in the little glass of water and tthey were still floating on the surface, so I gave each bean a little prod to push the bean below the surface of the water and they both sank to the bottom of the glass.

21april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-beans-sunk.jpg

So I then got a piece of kitchen roll and folded it up and placed it onto a little dish and dropped some water onto the kitchen roll to make it nice and damp and then I placed the beans on the kitchen roll and covered them with the kitchen roll to form a nice damp space, then I placed the dish into a drawer in the dark.

21april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-beans-on-kitchen-roll.jpg

I just checked on the beans and I can see that the shell case of the bean on the left side has cracked, hopefully they will both have sprouted by tomorrow some time and I can then get them into RootIt plugs.

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 5

A quick update on the Sweet Valley Kush beans.

One of the beans has cracked its shell case and the tap root is now visible, hopefully the second bean will crack its shell case sometime today.

Here is an image of the newly germinated Sweet Valley Kush bean I took this morning.

22april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-bean-germinated.jpg

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 4

Today the tap roots on both beans are now outside the seed casings.

23april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-beans-germinated.jpg

The tap root on the first bean to germinate is now long enough to place it into a Root It sponge.

Although the Root It sponge plug has a hole in it to place the germinated bean in, I have found that it is best to slit the sponge down one side then I prize open the sponge and place the germinated bean in the sponge so the bulk of the tail of the tap root is held firmly but gently by the sponge below the existing hole in the sponge.

23april-2019-root-it-sponge-plug.jpg

Otherwise as the tap root grows it may not penetrate the sponge and it ends up just pushing itself upwards out of the hole in the sponge plug and it can then topple over and fall out of the sponge plug.

23april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-bean-in-root-it.jpg

The tap root on the second Sweet Valley Kush bean is a bit short I will leave it in the kitchen roll until tomorrow when it should be longer and ready to place in its own Root It plug.

23april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-bean-close-up.jpg

I have placed the first seedling in the tent under the light with the Sweet Mango autos, and I am keeping the sponge damp squirting a few ml's of water on the sponge every few hours.

Once it pushes above the sponge and casts its little helmet I will then put it under a flourescent tube when the LED in the tent goes off at night for a few hours so they have an 18/6 photoperiod until they are ready to go outside.

More updates soon, happy growing...

Gasmeter

• Like 3

The tap root on the second Sweet Valley Kush bean had grown long enough overnight and this morning.

24april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-bean-close-up.jpg

So this afternoon I put the freshly sprouted bean into a Root It plug.

24april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-bean-root-it-plug.jpg

The first bean has almost popped out of the hole in the Root It plug, hopefully it should clear the top of the hole tomorrow.

24april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-beans-root-it-plugs.jpg

When the LED went out in the grow tent I moved them both under a flourescent tube.

24april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-beans-flouro.jpg

I will leave them both under the flourescent tube all night and put them back into the grow tent in the morning when the LED lamp comes on again at 6.30am and they can have some full spectrum light for 12 hours.

More updates to follow soon, happy growing.

• Like 4

After spending the night under the flourescent tube the first of the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings had surfaced this morning when I checked them and moved them into the grow tent with the 4 Sweet Mango autos.

Here are some images I took this morning.

First Sweet Valley Kush seedling broke ground.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-surfaced.jpg

First Sweet Valley Kush seedling close up.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-surfaced-close-up.jpg

Second Sweet Valley Kush bean below surface of Root It plug.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-second-bean-root-it-plug.jpg

Second Sweet Valley Kush bean below surface close up.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-second-bean-close-up.jpg

Both of the Sweet Valley Kush in Root It sponge plugs.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-popped-beans-root-it-plugs.jpg

Both Sweet Valley Kush back in grow tent.

25april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-root-it-plugs-grow-tent.jpg

I was wondering if I would need to cut away some of the sponge to help the first seedling break ground, but the sponge is obviously soft and flexible enough to allow the seedling to easily push its way out of the hole to break ground.

Hopefully the second Sweet Valley Kush will do the same today at some point, in the mean time I just keep the sponge plugs nice and damp, I use a syringe to squirt about 10ml of tap water on the plugs until a little puddle appears below them, when the water around the bottom of the plug dries up I give them some more water.

Happy growing...

• Like 4

Although we have had some great weather over Easter with record breaking temperatures the weather has cooled off.

It was dry most of yesterday and then it rained late afternoon and evening, this morning it was dry and the sun was out when I went for a stroll to keep my ankle moving, but in the last hour it has clouded over and pissed down a couple of times, but according to the forcast is should dry up by tea time.

Tomorrow and Saturday it will be similar with cloudy and rainy spells during the day, but it looks like it will get better on sunday and next week it should be dry and sunny again.

More updates soon, happy growing...

• Like 2

Yesterday the 16 litre root pouches that I ordered online last week were delivered.

25april-2019-16-litre-root-pouches.jpg

I just need to get a couple of bags of dirt and I will have everything in place ready to go, its game on.

Happy growing...

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 2

When I checked on the Sweet Valley Kush this morning the second seedling had popped out of the hole in the Root It plug.

Here are some images I took this morning.

Sweet Valley Kush second seedling broke ground.

26april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-surfaced.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush second seedling close up.

26april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-surfaced-close-up.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

26april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in grow tent.

26april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-grow-tent.jpg

I will keep putting the seedlings under the fluorsecent tube when the LED lamp goes off in the tent until they get a bit bigger.

Hopefully by tomorrow it will have fallen off and that little leaf can use the light properly.

More updates to follow, happy growing...

• Like 2

Earlier this morning when checked the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings the seed casing on the second seedling had almost fallen off the cotyledon leaf it was stuck to, so I gently teased it off the leaf and now the leaf can make proper use of the available light.

Here are some images of the seedlings I took earlier this morning.

Second Sweet Valley Kush with seed case removed from cotyledon leaf.

27april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-seed-casing-removed.jpg

Second Sweet Valley Kush with seed case removed close up.

27april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-seed-casing-removed-close-up.jpg

Both Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

27april-2019-both-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings.jpg

Both Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in grow tent under LED.

27april-2019-both-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-grow-tent.jpg

When I check the bottom of the Root It plugs I can now see the tap roots on both seedlings are now visible, so things are moving along nicely.

The weather is total shyte at the moment with storm Hanna hitting Ireland and the UK Mainland over night with 80mph winds and lots of rain.

So they can stay in the tent under the LED and fluorescent tube over night, until they a bit bigger and ready to go outside, hopefully the weather will have healed up by then and we will be getting some sunshine.

More updates to follow, happy growing...

Gasmeter

• Like 4

Time for a quick progress update.

The second Sweet Valley Kush to cast its seed casing has now straightened out its cotyledon leaves and caught up in height with the other seedling, but it is still a day or two behind the first seedling in leaf growth, and is now starting to develope the first proper leaves.

When the LED goes out at 6.30pm I am still putting them under the fluorescent tube in the little cupboard until the LED comes on again at 6.30am in the morning when I get up and start my day, so they are on a 24/0 photoperiod at the moment.

I am keeping the Root It sponge plugs damp, I squirt 10ml of tap water on them with a syringe when the water around the bottom of the sponges dries up, and the breeze from the 6 inch fan in the tent is also helping to strenghten their little stems up.

The weather is starting to get better this morning there were hardly any clouds and it was nice and sunny, then after lunch it got cloudy and went a bit dark for about half an hour and then brightened up despite the cloudy sky.

I was reading an article in the newspaper talking about a heat wave in May that could last for 3 months, apparently thanks to a massive plume of hot air coming from Spain, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed we have another great summer like last year.

Here are some images of the seedlings I took this morning.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

30april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-side-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

30april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-top-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in grow tent under LED.

30april-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-under-led.jpg

I went to a local grow shop yesterday to get some odour neutraliser and a bag of BioBizz dirt ready for when I plant them probably at the weekend, when I popped the Root It sponges out of the little plastic pots both seedlings are producing plenty of roots.

I am thinking that I will plant them into 1 litre root pouches so I can keep them in the tent under the LED for another week to let them get a bit bigger before I put them into the final 16 litre root pouches.

After harvesting the Kings Kush autos from my last run when I emptied the dirt out of the pouches I could see that none of the roots penetrated the root pouch wall, they had air pruned when they got to the pouches wall, so I am thinking that as long as I replant them quickly they will be OK and the roots won't have reached the pouch wall.

Happy growing...

Gasmeter

• Like 5

Earlier this evening I was checking out the BioBizz web site and I read that it is best to water the BioBizz All Mix and let it stand for 36 hours to give the active fertilizer and microorganisms inside the substrate a chance to start working their magic before planting the seedlings.

Two new 1 litre root pouches.

02may-2019-root-pouches.jpg

Root pouches filled with BioBizz All Mix.

02may-2019-root-pouches-filled-all-mix.jpg

Root pouches in shower cubicle All Mix watered.

02may-2019-root-pouches-all-mix-watered.jpg

When I watered the soil in the pouches I waited until there was some run off coming from the bottom of each pouch.

I will leave the root pouches in the shower to drain and I will plant the seedlings in the root pouches on Saturday afternoon.

Don't worry I do not use the shower, its too small I use the one in the main bathroom which has a rectangular tray/base, so I can sit down, I can't stand up as I use the shower because of my leg, it's definitely more relaxing.

Happy growing...

• Like 4