3rd Mega Contest - Sweet Valley Kush - UK Outdoor - Completed

gasmeter

Time for a progress update on the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

This morning I put the two 1 litre root pouches with BioBizz All Mix outside in the back yard to dry out the dirt a bit, they had been in the grow tent since Friday morning, but they were still a bit wet, leaving them outside all day in the sunshine and a nice breeze has helped to dry them out and the dirt is nice and damp.

Earlier this evening I took some photos of the Sweet Mango autos and then I took some photos of the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in the sponges and the roots and then I planted them both in the root pouches and put them on the window ledge, so they get their first proper night time to hopefully help them settle into their new homes.

It will also start them getting used to following the natural and real photoperiod as they continue to veg, in the morning I will pop them back into the grow tent under the LED for a few more days to let them get a bit bigger ready to go outside.

Here are some images I took as I planted the seedlings earlier this evening.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings and 1 litre root pouches.

04may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-root-pouches.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in sponge plugs with plastic pots removed and roots visible.

04may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-roots.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedling close up of the roots.

04may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-roots-close-up.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings planted in their new 1 litre root pouches.

04may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-planted.jpg

The dirt in the pouches is qite damp so I probably won't need to water them for a couple of days until the dirt dries out more, hopefully that will encourage them to puch the roots outwards and downwards to find more moisture as they settle int the dirt and feed on the available nutrients.

On the BioBizz web site they say the dirt will provide food for 2 weeks, but I won't give them any powder feed until they are replanted in the 16 litre root pouches they will finish in I don't want to over feed them.

More updates to follow, happy growing...

• Like 5

@gasmeter

Nice seedling budy !!!

Do you transplant with the pouch in the next pouch or you take them out the pouch when you transplant to the 16l ?

ones i try to veg  in 8l and try to take out of the pouch but its not aesy to do .

• Like 2

@g22 thanks

Good question about transplanting, this is the first time I have tried this, I will just give them water and let them start to conquer the pouch, but transplant before they conquer the pouch, what I mean by conquer the pouch is fill the dirt with roots to the wall of the pouch.

So I will need to keep an eye on them, I am thinking I will only keep them in these 1ltr pouches for a week, during this time I am going to start to acclimatize them to being outside then I can transplant them into the 16 ltr pouches they will finish in.

I am thinking I will give them water and let them eat the nutrients in the soil before I use the bio feed powder I don't want to over feed them.

I am definitely guilty of being a dick and over feeding, the Sweet Mangos had a touch of nute burn, I so I am going to be cautious feeding them.

• Like 3

@gasmeter

You can let theme root totaly but you gone have to cut the pouch if you try too soon you risk To brake your roots maybe

it should be practic a pouch like the root pouch with  material that can be plant in the next pouch 

• Like 2

I forgot to say that I realise it will be difficult to take them out of the root pouches, but if I need to I can cut them down the side to open the pouch.

The root pouches at 1 ltr size were only £1 or £1.50 each, but it would be nice not to have to sacrifice them and get a few uses from them.

Removing the root ball and dirt from a finished plant out of the root pouch is easy the main stem is strong enough to use to pull on to remove the dirt and roots, but with delicate seedlings and young plants it not as easy.

I will probably end up cutting the pouches open to gently release them

• Like 1

Pensaba que tenían velcro esas macetas medidor de gas, la verdad que es tontería darle estrés una semana en esa tela, pero de perdidos al río... Ya puestas... espero  que no tengas problemas amigo

I thought they had velcro those gas meter pots, the truth is that it is foolish to give stress a week on that cloth, but lost to the river ... Already put ... I hope you have no problems friend

• Like 1

Hi @R.G.S yes your right some of the Root Pouches do have velcro strips down the side so they can be opened up to transplant the plant.

The problem is finding somewhere that stocks them, the local grow shops I use don't stock the pouches with the velcro strip and the web site I got the 1 ltr and 16 ltr pouches only stocks the black ones which are thinner than the grey 12 ltr pouches I use indoors.

I will be popping 2 more beans once these are a month old for outside, by then the weather will have warmed up and I will just plant then straight into the 16 ltr pots.

Hola, @R.G.S sí, tienes razón, algunas de las bolsas de raíz tienen tiras de velcro en el costado para que puedan abrirse para trasplantar la planta.

El problema es encontrar en algún lugar que los almacene, los almacenes locales que utilizo no almacenan las bolsas con la tira de velcro y el sitio web que obtuve las bolsas de 1 y 16 litros solo las que están más delgadas que las grises. ltr bolsas que utilizo en interiores.

Estaré preparando 2 frijoles más una vez que tengan un mes de edad para el exterior, para entonces el clima se habrá calentado y solo plantaré directamente en las macetas de 16 litros.

• Like 1

A quick progress update on the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

Both of the seedlings were looking a bit sad after I planted them, but they have since perked up and they both look a lot better.

They seem to be enjoying the nutrients in the fresh dirt.

When the LED goes off at 6.30pm at night I pull then out of the grow tent and put them on the window ledge so their day continues until it naturally goes dark later on in the evening, to make most of the day light and so their photoperiod is now aligned with the real photoperiod.

I have been keeping an eye on the weather forcast on the BBC web site for this area, the temperature they are reporting is under 10C, so I put a thermometer outside on a table in the back yard in the sun and it was about 18C so I can start to acclimatize them to the outside.

Then after the 20th of May they can go and live outside in the back yard, if the weather is crappy and raining like this morning they can stay in the shed under the fluorescent tubes until it stops raining then I can bring them outside.

Here are some images of the seedlings I took tonight.

Both Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in 1ltr root pouches side view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-in-pouches-side-view.jpg

Both Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in 1ltr root pouches top view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-in-pouches-top-view.jpg

First Sweet Valley Kush seedling side view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-one-side-view.jpg

First Sweet Valley Kush seedling top view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-one-top-view.jpg

Second Sweet Valley Kush seedling side view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-two-side-view.jpg

Second Sweet Valley Kush seedling top view.

06may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-two-top-view.jpg

More updates soon, happy growing...

• Like 6

This morning the day started off dull and cloudy, but by 9.00am there was a lot less cloud and patches of blue sky and sunshine.

I put a thermometer outside at the back of the yard, in the house the temperature was about 25/26C, I left the thermometer for about half an hour to an hour and checked it again about 10.00am and the temperature reading was 22 C

Then I got a little bucket and went to my tent and popped the two Sweet Valley Kush seedlings into the little bucket and then I took it outside and then I took the root pouches and seedlings out of the bucket and placed the bucket upside down on top of the dirt in a large planter.

I then placed a plastic saucer or plant pot drip tray on top of the bucket and placed the root pouches and seedlings atop the saucer so the seedlings can bask in the sunshine and start to acclimatize to being outdoors.

If it rains I can either pop them into the shed or bring them back inside and pop them back in the grow tent under the LED, while they are still in the small 1 ltr pouches I will probably pop them in the tent under the LED rather than in the shed under the fluorescent tubes.

Thermometer showing outside temperature at 22 C

07may-2019-surfer-dude-thermometer.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

07may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings.jpg

Once I transplant them into the 16 ltr pouches I will only be able to put them in the shed when the weather is crap under the fluorescent tubes which is better than the plants and dirt getting wet if it pisses down.

At least with the bio feed I will only have to water them, but the dirt still needs to be able to dry out to oxygenate the roots.

Happy growing...

• Like 6

Time for a quick update on the 2 Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

The weather has been totally crap for the past couple of days it has been dull and cloudy and it has rained most of the day, but according to the weather forcast for this area it will dry up tomorrow afternoon and then we should get some nice weather for a few days.

I have just kept the seedlings in the grow tent due to the waether, but hopefully now the weather looks like it is getting better I can get them outside in the sunshine again and get them acclimatized to being outside.

Last night after the LED went off I gave both the seedlings 30ml of tap water, it is 4 days since they had a drink.

The dirt in the root pouches was nice and dry at the top, obviously the seedlings are busy pushing out their roots into the dirt, but lower down the pouch still feels damp, because the roots have not reached down deeper into the dirt in the root pouches.

Tonight the dirt in the pouches was dry again so I gave each seedling about 80ml of plain tap water.

Both of the seedlings are OK and continue to grow the one with the purple stem, its stem has started thickening moving down the stem towards the dirt like the other seedling as well as growing new nodes, they seem to be enjoying the fresh dirt.

Here are some images I took this afternoon.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in grow tent under LED.

09may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-in-tent.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

09may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-side-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

09may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-top-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedling with purple stem.

09may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-purple-stem.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedling with green stem.

09may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedling-green-stem.jpg

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...

• Like 4

Hello mate!

Your plants look great, now that you have several leaves and some great pots (I've personally tried them and they work very well), I'm sure they give a great stretch. I'm still watching the progress.

PD. I love your thermometer jajajaja

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Time for a catch up update.

On Friday last week the weather started to dry up and get better, although the temperature outside was still a bit cool, so I kept the seedlings indoors in the tent and then when the LED went off at 6.30pm I placed them on the window ledge.

On Saturday the weather was great I place a thermometer outside at the back of the yard and by 9.00am it was 22C so I put both of the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings outside to bask in the sunshine at the back of the yard.

King surf moose thermometer showing temperature at 22C

11may-2019-king-surf-thermometer.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

11may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-side-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

11may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-seedlings-top-view.jpg

In the evening after I brought them both inside I gave them 100ml of plain tap water, the both seemed to enjoy being outside in the sunshine.

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided that it was time to transplant the Sweet Valley Kush from the 1ltr root pouches to the 16ltr root pouches.

So in the afternoon I filled 2 of the 16ltr root pouches with BioBizz All Mix 

Then in the early evening I started the transplant process, first I gently squeezed the 1ltr root pouches and found that the roots had more or less conquered the width of the root pouches and the dirt was compact, so the root pouch and dirt were not stuck together and the roots had not reached the root pouch walls.

So I was able to push on the bottom of the root pouch and push the cylinder of dirt and the seedlings out of the root pouch, once I got them going I tipped the pouch upside down so the weight of the dirt and gravity helped them to slide out of the root pouch.

Although the roots seemed to have extended the width of the root pouch they did not go all the way to the bottom of the root pouch, the bottom half of the cylinder of dirt fell away from the top part of compacted dirt containing the root system of each plant.

I then planted them in the new 16ltr root pouches and then I gave each plant 300ml of plain tap water each to settle them into their new homes.

Here are some images I took as I transplanted the Sweet Valley Kush.

16 litre root pouches full of BioBizz All Mix.

12may-2019-16ltr-root-pouches.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush ready for transplant.

12may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-ready-to-transplant.jpg

Plant removed from 1ltr root pouch.

12may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-out-of-pouch.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush transplant in progress.

12may-2019-swet-valley-kush-transplant-hole.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush transplanted into new 16ltr root pouch.

12may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-in-16ltr-pouch.jpg

The weather has been great again today with lots of sunshine all day long, I have Mr Moose with his thermometer next to the plants and when I checked the temperature at lunch time it was 30C in direct sunlight and mid afternoon it was about 33/34C but there has been a gentle breeze.

The dirt looks to have almost dried out so by the time it goes dark they will probably need a drink again.

Tomorrow I will give them a feed with the bio grow powder feed.

More updates to follow, happy growing...

• Like 4

Hi @OG.Naj yes I will add the BioGrow directly to the All Mix as a top dressing and mix it into the surface and water it in.

I only want to give them enough to veg for 4 weeks, in the Adobe .pdf document for the powder feeding products it says 3 to 5g for 8 weeks and to reduce dosage if dirt prefertilized and it says use half dose for seedlings and young plants 2 to 3 weeks old.

These first 2 plants are now 3 weeks old so I will use half of 3g per litre of dirt at the bottom of the range, so I will give 1 half gram per litre, I have 16ltr pouches which are not full of dirt to the top of the pouch, I always leave space between the top of the pouch or pot and the dirt it makes watering easier and less messy.

I would say that each pouch contains about 14 litres of All Mix, so I need to add 1 half gram per litre which is 21g of BioGrow and I should be safe.

So far they have only had water and the nutrients in the All Mix, and now they are young plants and have a few sets of leaves they should be ready for a feed.

• Like 2

Today we have lots of blue sky and sunshine again.

Last night around 9.00pm I moved the Sweet Valley Kush plants into the shed, the dirt in their pouches was pretty dry, so I gave each plant 100ml of plain tap water that had been stood in a lemonade bottle over night.

By tonight the dirt in the plants root pouches should be dry after another day soaking up the sunshine, so I will give them some BioGrow powder feed and a little drink of water to wash it into the soil.

Both Sweet Valley Kush in back yard enjoying the sunshine.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plants-in-yard.jpg

Mr Moosey and his thermometer the temperature is about 32C

14may-2019-mr-moose.jpg

When I checked the plants this morning at 06.30am and unlocked the shed and switched on the 2 4 foot fluorescent tubes to give them more light than what is coming through the window the temperature in the shed was about 16C yesterday it was hovering around 10C

At about 08.00am I put mr moosey outside in the yard and then I continued reading the newspaper and had a cup of tea, then about 09.00am I checked mr moosey and the temperature was about 28C in direct sunlight.

So I had a wash and got my arse in gear and then I moved the plants outside with mr moosey, by now the temperature was about 30C.

When I checked the temperature at 12.00pm it was 34C in direct sunlight, just checking the weather forcast on the BBC web site and they are reporting the humidity at around 50 percent in this area.

Happy growing...

• Like 2

@g22 thanks for the kind words.

Yeah I managed to ease them out of the 1ltr root pouches without cutting them open.

The roots had not reached the wall of the root pouches I think the fact that the black root pouches are thinner than the grey pouches probably helped.

In future I will avoid doing that though and pop them straight into the root pouch they will finish in.

• Like 2

The Sweet Valley kush got plenty of sunshine this afternoon and the dirt in their pouches was pretty dry by the end of the afternoon.

This evening after moving the Sweet Valley kush plants into the shed for the night I fed them both with 21 grams of BioGrow.

Here are some images I took of the process.

Both the Sweet Valley Kush ready for a feed.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plants-ready-to-feed.jpg

Green House Powder Feed BioGrow and spoon.

14may-2019-green-house-powder-feed-bio-grow.jpg

I weighed out 21 grams of the BioGrow powder feed for each plant.

14may-2019-21g-biogrow.jpg

BioGrow spread roughly on dirt around plant one.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plant-one-biogrow-on-dirt.jpg

BioGrow spread roughly on dirt around plant two.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plant-two-biogrow-on-dirt.jpg

BioGrow mixed into dirt and watered into the dirt for plant one.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plant-one-biogrow-mixed-in-dirt.jpg

BioGrow mixed into dirt and watered into the dirt for plant two.

14may-2019-sweet-valley-kush-plant-two-biogrow-mixed-in-dirt.jpg

The temperature in the shed tonight in the early evening was about 24C

14may-2019-moosey-thermometer-evening-24c.jpg

Both plants are now sat under fluorescent tubes until it goes dark then I will switch them off and lock up for the night, they get light through the window in the morning as the day breaks and at 06.30am I switch the fluorescent tubes on until it warms up outside.

Then I put them outside at the back of the yard where they can soak up the sunshine for as long as possible.

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...

• Like 3