3rd Mega Contest - Sweet Valley Kush - UK Indoor - Completed

gasmeter

Time for an update at the end of week 6 and the start of week 7 of flowering for the 4 Sweet Valley Kush.

All the plants are doing great on Friday the dirt in the root pouch of SVK-B#1 was nice and dry and she felt light so I gave her 2 litres of water.

On Saturday the dirt in the root pouches of SVK-B#2 and SVK-M#1 was nice and dry so I gave SVK-B#2 2 litres of water and then I gave SVK-M#1 4 litres of water to give the dirt and bit of a flush, I will now let her dry right out again.

This morning the dirt in the root poch of SVK-M#2 was dry so I gave her 2 litres of water.

Here are some images I took this afternoon.

All 4 of the Sweet Valley Kush plants in the grow tent under the LED.

25august-2019-svk-in-grow-tent.jpg

All 4 of the Sweet Valley Kush plants in normal light.

25august-2019-svk-in-normal-light.jpg

SVK-B#1 top of main stalk.

25august-2019-svk-b#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#1 top buds.

25august-2019-svk-b#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-B#2 top of main stalk.

25august-2019-svk-b#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#2 top buds.

25august-2019-svk-b#2-top-buds.jpg

SVK-m#1 top of main stalk.

25august-2019-svk-m#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#1 top buds.

25august-2019-svk-m#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-m#2 top of main stalk.

25august-2019-svk-m#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#2 top buds.

25august-2019-svk-m#2-top-buds.jpg

This afternoon when I took some photos of the plants I noticed SVK-B#1 looks like she is ready for a drink and her dirt os pretty dry and she feels quite light, I decided that I will leave her until tomorrow morning and then I will give her 2 litres of water.

I am well pleased with progress the buds at the top of the plants and really starting to get fat and they still have 3 weeks to go.

Happy growing...  :pleasantry::smoke:

• Like 4

Time for a mid week update on the 4 Sweet Valley Kush.

On Monday afternoon I gave SVK-B#1 2 litres of water and within half an hour she looked happy again.

Yesterday the dirt in the root pouch of SVK-B#2 was dry and the pouch and plant felt nice and light so I gave her 2 litres of water.

The dirt in the root pouch of SVK-M#2 was dry and the plant and pouch were nice and light and lots of fan leaves were droopy, so at about 5pm I mixed 0.5g bloom feed per litre and 0.6g of booster per litre and then gave her 2 litres of the feed and water to solution and within half an hour she looked happy again.

Here are some images I took earlier this afternoon.

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants in grow tent under LED.

28august-2019-svk-in-grow-tent.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants in normal light.

28august-2019-svk-in-normal-light.jpg

SVK-B#1 top of the plants main stalk.

28august-2019-svk-b#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#1 top buds.

28august-2019-svk-b#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-B#2 top of the plants main stalk.

28august-2019-svk-b#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#2 top buds.

28august-2019-svk-b#2-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#1 top of the plants main stalk.

28august-2019-svk-m#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#1 top buds.

28august-2019-svk-m#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#2 top of the plants main stalk.

28august-2019-svk-m#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#2 top buds.

28august-2019-svk-m#2-top-buds.jpg

Next time the dirt in the root pouch of SVK-M#1 is nice and dry I will give her a light feed, since I gave her 4 litres of water she has been busy the bud at the top of the main stalk has fattened up nicely.

I was thinking I might give SVK-B#1 and SVK-B#2 a half strength solution of enhancer enough for 1 week, and then they will just get water.

Happy growing...  :pleasantry:

• Like 2

Last night I noticed that the dirt in the root pouch of SVK-B#1 was dry and the plant and pouch felt nice and light, this morning at 06.30am when the LED came on I could see all of her fan leaves were droopy, so after I had something to eat I gave her 4 litres of water.

This morning I had to go out to a clients to help them configure a couple of email accounts, unfortunately they use a Mail for Mac this email client is a steaming pile of shit it took 2 hours to just reset the passwords on 2 accounts, under Windows or Linux that would have taken 2 minutes.

When I checked on the plants when I got home the fan leaves on SVK-M#1 and SVK-B#2 were droopy when I moved them earlier this morning I noticed they felt nice and light, so I mixed 0.5g of bloom feed and 0.5g f booster in 2 litres of water and gave SVK-M#1 a mild feed.

Then I gave SVK-B#2 4 litres of water to drink I decided not to give her any enhancer due to the fact were are now almost at the end of week 7 so I decided to play safe and just give them both water for the next 2 weeks until harvest.

I am so grateful to the guys at Green House for giving me not just the chance to check out these great genetics but also have a chance try to grow photoperiod plants in my beany tent, I have definitely learned a lot from this grow aint no maybe.

I will update again over the wekend with some images of the plants.

• Like 1

Time for an update at the end of week 7 and the start of week 8 of flowering for the 4 Sweet Valley Kush.

This afternoon I noticed that the fan leaves on SVK-M#2 were droopy and the dirt in her root pouch was dry and she was nice and light so I gave her 4 litres of water to giver her a good drink.

Here are some images I took of the plants just before I watered SVK-M#2

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush in the grow tent under LED.

01september-2019-svk-in-grow-tent.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush in normal light.

01september-2019-svk-in-normal-light.jpg

SVK-B#1 top of the main stalk.

01september-2019-svk-b#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#1 top buds.

01september-2019-svk-b#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-B#2 top of the main stalk.

01september-2019-svk-b#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#2 top buds.

01september-2019-svk-b#2-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#1 top of the main stalk.

01september-2019-svk-m#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#1 top buds.

01september-2019-svk-m#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#2 top of the main stalk.

01september-2019-svk-m#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#2 top buds.

01september-2019-svk-m#2-top-buds.jpg

• Like 3

Good point @OG.Naj

Yes thats right there is not much difference between the plants being fed the bio or mineral feed the growth rate, stretch and bud production has been so similar all the way through the grow, which clearly demonstrates that there is no advantage to either type of feed, the plants will thrive well and produce on either feed line.

From the start I thought that the plants being fed the mineral line would do best, but the bio plants have definitely done better the bud at the top of SVK-B#2 is so fat now and all the calynx are little fatty boom booms, the bud is now starting t look like cauliflower and they are nice and hard too, action packed and the rest are catching up.

• Like 3

I have been thinking about what to grow on my next run now they are a couple of weeks away form harvest.

I have 1 Super Critical auto and 1 Super Lemon Haze auto and I was thinking about buying another 1 of each, but I decided to pop 4 more Sweet Valley Kush beans.

So tonight I put 4 beans in a beany plastic pot to soak and start the germination process.

03september-2019-svk-beans-soaking.jpg

I am going to try topping with these 4 so they are more productive.

I can also think about what to buy to go with the auto beans whether to get 1 more of each or get 3 more of each or maybe something similar like White Widow and Super Bud or Auto Bomb or Big Bang and Northern Lights and Skunk auto.

It is nice to have a couple strains to smoke. :smoke::D:pleasantry:

• Like 3

Thanks for your return @gasmeter we will see the flushing process :-) and I think you will see some differences in the end product after the drying and the curing process. I find that the bioline make more clean end product ;-)

Cant wait to see your smoke report bro!

• Like 1

@OG.Naj your welcome bro my pleasure

I cant wait to smoke some of that fat bud the buds from the outdoor girls are nice, but they did not get the chance to finish properly like these 4.

inner luv for posting the Frenchie Cannoli video I checked out the first one how he uses his machines to wash the trichomes off the trim or bud and then continued to watch the rest of the videos about drying and pressing hash and making temple balls they were really interesting as well as very educational.

He is doing some amazing things there, that was really interesting what he says about decarboxylation of the Cannabinoids and how the strength increases over time as the resin matures like a wine, so your temple ball hash if you stashed it for a year or so should get more potent?

He mentions smoking some temple ball in 1980 that was 12 years old and it was very potent and he described the vibe as too intense, thats why they call it temple ball you have to show respect this is for giving thanks and praises, its a blessing.

From what I have read they roll the temple ball on either a ceramic surface like the bottom of a plate or a metal plate to compress the surface and seal it for long term storage, as Frenchie points out there is a lot we do not know about these things.

• Like 2

Time for a mid week update on the 4 Sweet Valley Kush.

This morning when I checked on the plants the fan leaves on SVK-B#1, SVK-B#2 and SVK-M#1 were droopy and the dirt in their pouches was nice and dry and they all felt light, so I had something to eat and then I gave each plant 2 litres of water.

All of the plants will now get water to drink no more feed, in the grow videos on the GHS store they say 1 week just water in hydroponics and a bit longer in soil, but in the information for the powder feed for the mineral feed it says 1 week in the charts and for the bio powder feed there is no mention of flushing the dirt.

I gave them enough for 8 weeks at half strength of the bio powder feed and both plants have been consuming the nutrients in the old fan leaves, so it looks like they have consumed what nutrients were in the dirt and the same applies to both the plants on the mineral feed.

With the 2 girls outside I was not able to do this due to the bud rot, the problem is I have been hands on looking for caterpillars and bugs so I had probably touched loads of other parts of the plant after touching where the bud rot was before I spotted it, so I just treat it as a salvage operation and cut the plant to save whatever bud is there and limit the damage.

All of the plants in the grow tent under the LED.

04september-2019-svk-under-led.jpg

All of the plants in normal light.

04september-2019-svk-in-normal-light.jpg

SVK-B#1 top of the main stalk.

04september-2019-svk-b#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#1 top buds.

04september-2019-svk-b#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-B#2 top of the main stalk.

04september-2019-svk-b#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#2 top buds.

04september-2019-svk-b#2-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#1 top of the main stalk.

04september-2019-svk-m#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#1 top buds.

04september-2019-svk-m#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#2 top of the main stalk.

04september-2019-svk-m#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#2 top buds.

04september-2019-svk-m#2-top-buds.jpg

The 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans for my next run that I put into water to soak have sunk to the bottom of the container.

So I got some kitchen towel in a little dish and made it damp suirting water on it wwith a syringe then I placed the beans on the kitchen towel and folded it over to cover the beans and then I put the dish and the beans into a drawer so they are in a warm dark space.

Beans sunk to bottom of plastic container.

04september-2019-svk-sunk.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans on damp kitchen towel up close an personal.

04september-2019-svk-paper-towel.jpg

I am not sure if I am going to use Plant Magic's organic nutrients or the powder feed, don't get me wrong I really like the powder feed I am very impressed with it, but it would be nice to compare the same strain grown using the Plant Magic nutrients, plus the liquid nutrients have a limited shelf life so I do not want to waste them, I could do 2 bio again and 2 Plant Magic organic.

Food for thought as they are germinating and the bud on these 4 girls fattens up as they finish off.

You can see in the normal light image how the bud is at the top of the plants and low down it is all beany buds due to low light penetration, so I will definitely have a go at topping these 4 new plants to avoid this so they share the love with all their stalks and the plant is more productive.

• Like 3

@gasmeter The cure of the temple ball is a big point and when i learn with frenchy she say me that we cant comparate fresh temple ball and cured temple ball... She say me it is like compare a "Beaujolais Nouveau" (very young vine) and a "Château Latour St Emilion 1959", different, not same final product. The taste, the terpenes and the canabinoid profil change with the time... For example : Frenchy work a lot with the Pinot Noir variety that the temple ball taste change drastically after 2 years of curing. When is fresh the smell and taste is spicy but after 2 years the taste change and is more like cacao or milk chocolate :-)

It might be interesting to compare an analysis of terpenes and cannabinoids of one fresh and one old temple ball done with the same cultivar to see the evolution over time

• Like 2

So much time to cure the temple ball .... Two years does not last me nor three days the extractions that I do .... But you are still a ball of the temple and hide it very well at home and I will keep some friendly years see that it happens of course that my temple ball has nothing to do with Frenchy's but for trying not to leave brothers ✌️ 

• Like 1

Yes @OG.Naj the cure definitely makes a big difference to the end product your images of the trichomes after 1 month they are starting the process of becoming a mass of resin instead of lots of single trichomes that happen to be close together in a container.

I agree @R.G.S hiding the hash to let it cure is the tough part I would not last 2 hours never mind 2 years...  :smoke:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gasmeter said:

Yes @OG.Naj the cure definitely makes a big difference to the end product your images of the trichomes after 1 month they are starting the process of becoming a mass of resin instead of lots of single trichomes that happen to be close together in a container.

I agree @R.G.S hiding the hash to let it cure is the tough part I would not last 2 hours never mind 2 years...  :smoke:

Yes, it is almost better to leave the ball of the temple to someone who is confident and does not smoke during those two years

• Like 1

All 4 of the Sweet Valley Kush beans for my next run have popped.

Three had cracked their shells last night and this morning the fourth bean had finally cracked its shell casing.

06sept-2019-svk-beans-popped.jpg

Two of the beans have longer tap roots so far I will let them get a little bit longer before I pop them into Root It plugs.

Time for a quick progress update on the 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants, this morning I noticed that the fan leaves on SVK-B#1 SVK-B#2 and SVK-M#2 were droopy and the dirt in the root pouches was nice and dry and they all felt light as well.

So this afternoon I gave them all 4 litres of water each 2 litres straight from the tap and 2 litres from a pop bottle that has been standing open since I last watered the plants and refilled the 2 litre pop bottles with water ready for the next watering.

With SVK-M#1 the dirt in her root pouch is pretty dry so she will probably be ready for a drink tomorrow I will give her 4 litres of water, then when they are ready for their next drink I will just give them 2 litres of water each during their last week before I cut them and harvest.

This morning when I checked on the new Sweet Valley Kush beans their tap roots had grown nicely and the one that popped last was poking out of the shell casing a few millimetres so I added a few drops of water to the kitchen roll to keep it nice and damp then put them back in the drawer.

After I watered the 4 girls in flower I then put the newly germinated beans into Root It sponge plugs and took some photos.

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans and tap roots up close normal light.

07sept-2019-svk-beans-close-up-nlight.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans and tap roots up close with flash.

07sept-2019-svk-beans-close-up-flash.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush germinated bean being placed in Root It sponge plug.

07sept-2019-svk-bean-in-root-it_plug.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans in Root It sponge plugs in their little plastic pots.

07sept-2019-svk-beans-in-plugs.jpg

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans in Root It plugs close up to the flourescent tube.

07sept-2019-svk-beans-under-flouro.jpg

I am sure the last one to pop its shell case will soon catch up with the other 3 seedlings.

I will update again tomorrow with some images of the 4 girls in flower at the start of their last week of flowering.

Happy growing...  :pleasantry::smoke:

• Like 1

Time for an update at the end of week 8 and the start of week 9 of flowering for the 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants.

We are now at the end of the 9 week flowering time the bud buds at the top of each plant and their stalks are all nice and fat the buds low down are small but I am not bothered because this was a test run to see if I could grow photoperiod plants in my beany grow tent and I now I know I can.

I prefer Indica dominant strains which are usually short/medium height at 100cm I am played out I have to remove the rope ratchets the LED is hung off and hang it directly off the clips the ratchets hang off which are clipped to pole to hang the light from.

With the autoflowering strains the height of the plants has not been an issue so far, but I definitely need to choose photoperiod strains carefully.

Sweet Valley Kush in grow tent under LED.

08sept-2019-svk-in-grow-tent.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush in normal light.

08sept-2019-svk-in-normal-light.jpg

SVK-B#1 top of main stalk.

08sept-2019-svk-b#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#1 top buds.

08sept-2019-svk-b#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-B#2 top of main stalk.

08sept-2019-svk-b#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-B#2 top buds.

08sept-2019-svk-b#2-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#1 top of main stalk.

08sept-2019-svk-m#1-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#1 top buds.

08sept-2019-svk-m#1-top-buds.jpg

SVK-M#2 top of main stalk.

08sept-2019-svk-m#2-top-of-plant.jpg

SVK-M#2 top buds.

08sept-2019-svk-m#2-top-buds.jpg

Tonight I mixed 1ml of Plant Magic root stimulant with 1 litre of water and I shared 10ml with each of the new baby Kush beans, two are close to popping above the surface of the root plug and I can see the other 2 but they are not a close, I can also see their tap roots peeping out of the bottom of the root sponge too.

So I though I might as well start to give them a bit of root stimulant to help them along, once they are bove the surface and have cast their seed shells and have formed the first set of true leaves I will add a bit of the organic grow feed to the solution.

More updates to follow, happy growing...  :pleasantry:

• Like 2

This morning when I got up at 6.30am and checked the new Sweet Valley Kush beans under the flourescent tube in the cupboard 2 are now earth strong.

The other two are still below the surface of the root plug, I opened the root plugs and I can see they are OK and have not died, hopefully they will come earth strong by tomorrow some time.

Here are some images I took.

All the Sweet Valley Kush in root plugs viewed from above, note how you can see the beans yet to surface still within the root plugs.

09sept-2019-svk-beans-root-plugs.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush still wearing its helmet.

09sept-2019-svk-bean-one-earth-strong.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush without its seed shell helmet.

09sept-2019-svk-bean-two-earth-strong.jpg

At the moment I am keeping the seedlings under a flourescent tube on a 24 hour photoperiod I will keep them like this for the rest of the week until I harvest the big gals and then they can have the tent to themselves and I will reset the timer for the LED to an 18/6 photoperiod.

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...  :pleasantry::biggrin:

• Like 2

Last night when I checked the seedlings I could see that the two that were still inside the root plugs had moved upwards and were close to the opening at the surface of the root plug.

This morning when I checked them at 6.30am they had both come earth strong and they had grown above the root plugs and each was a few millimetres tall above the surface of the root plugs, one had left its helemt in the plug and the other seedlings helmet had fallen off by lunch time.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

10sept-2019-svk-seedlings-top-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

10sept-2019-svk-seedlings-side-view.jpg

I will update again tomorow with some images of the big gals half way through their last week.

Happy growing...  :pleasantry::biggrin:

• Like 3