Forge projects.

ganjalover

42704105_IMG_20190906_152802.jpg

Today i found this boots in trash. Maybe it is still possible for using but i need it not for this, maybe will be good bags for knifes from it. Before i don't have many idea about it, but now maybe it is will be possible. I think only yesterday some guy put it to trash and i have some lucky because i not always interested this trash place, maybe first time for year. But before i was looking some blocks for forge in same place because i know this boots not long time was there. 

I made all my forge and using it without any money. Airflow from old parts. Electricity need very low on it, i spend much more on cooking.

• Like 1

42709565_IMG_20190906_201336.jpg

Today i was finished this small piece. It was hardened from  about 1000c. And and after i heat it more bit and end of knife was bit red after  but very soft but i believe even with it result is fine. Knife must live long life also. It is will be for some small works if all will be good. Some time i need small knife. I think this steel is good. Some piece of drill or i don't know. I believe total results is fine. I feel hardening and knife is not cracked if i bit curved it by hand. First time i was made fast hardening in water, maybe it was bit more strong hardening, but shape was bad after, and i did hardening one more time in wood with small quantity of dry clay. Maybe piece is very small, but i am happy with this results. It is some like quality now, not just piece of iron, cut will be better than in big knife from r18 steel i think. R18 very soft on sharpening even if hardened, but this steel is more strong as for me. Here maybe now around 55 HRC, but for this shape even this can be many, but i will try and this knife only for soft tasks like unpacking or cutting threads. Some time i really need some small knife for it. I working with poisons and traps for mouses and no good using regular big knife for it or even small pocket knife because all poison will be in pocket. Some time ago i was made this knife for this small tasks but better have some better knife with handle if it is possible.

42733752_IMG_20190907_081442.jpg

• Like 1

Hey @ganjalover I see that you like the theme of the forge here I leave you some pictures of some irons that I have in the workshop to see if you like them ... The anvil I made it myself with a beam of  construction iron and for cutting help me from a radial

Hey @ganjalover veo que te gusta el tema de la forja aquí te dejo unas fotos de algunos hierros que tengo en el taller a ver si te gustan... El yunque lo hice yo mismo con una biga de hierro de la construcción y para el corte me ayude de una radial

_20190907_172005.thumb.JPG.184f79341e3d5b4c4fb6bc8ac60f5956.JPG

_20190907_172024.thumb.JPG.48f68eef82cd7e043f1a8a03c08781f9.JPG

_20190907_172041.thumb.JPG.7d69d1ac274a68d482fb7514744faf48.JPG

_20190907_172106.thumb.JPG.36a23716f47e80c31ac35251982d0a8d.JPG

Regards 

• Like 2

@R.G.S your anvil is great idea and a good bit of recycling too.

There was an American program on the Blaze TV channel here in the UK and they had four guys competing forging knives and swords it was brilliant watching these guys take some scrap metal and then forge it into a knife or sword of some type was amazing.

There are some interesting videos on YouTube where guys make forges out in the woods and works some metal and make something I love watching things like that.

@R.G.S tu yunque es una gran idea y también un buen reciclaje.

Había un programa estadounidense en el canal de televisión Blaze aquí en el Reino Unido y tenían cuatro tipos compitiendo forjando cuchillos y espadas. Fue brillante ver a estos tipos tomar un poco de chatarra y luego forjarlo en un cuchillo o espada de algún tipo fue increíble.

Hay algunos videos interesantes en YouTube donde los chicos hacen forjas en el bosque y trabajan algo de metal y hacen algo que me encanta ver cosas así.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gasmeter said:

@R.G.S your anvil is great idea and a good bit of recycling too.

There was an American program on the Blaze TV channel here in the UK and they had four guys competing forging knives and swords it was brilliant watching these guys take some scrap metal and then forge it into a knife or sword of some type was amazing.

There are some interesting videos on YouTube where guys make forges out in the woods and works some metal and make something I love watching things like that.

@R.G.S tu yunque es una gran idea y también un buen reciclaje.

Había un programa estadounidense en el canal de televisión Blaze aquí en el Reino Unido y tenían cuatro tipos compitiendo forjando cuchillos y espadas. Fue brillante ver a estos tipos tomar un poco de chatarra y luego forjarlo en un cuchillo o espada de algún tipo fue increíble.

Hay algunos videos interesantes en YouTube donde los chicos hacen forjas en el bosque y trabajan algo de metal y hacen algo que me encanta ver cosas así.

Thank you very much for your beautiful words @gasmeter I liked to see that program a lot I did not miss any chapter, now I want to try with Aluminum and flux incorporated in the welding rod itself to see if I can work with other materials not  magnetic, I have several inventions in mind ... But I like to forge them myself
 Imagination to the power of your mind friend ✌️

Muchas gracias por tus bellas palabras @gasmeter me gustaba ver mucho ese programa no me perdí ningún capítulo, ahora quiero probar con Aluminio y flux incorporado en la propia varilla de soldadura a ver si puedo trabajar con otros materiales no magnéticos, tengo varios inventos en mente... Pero también me gusta forjarlos yo mismo

Imaginación al poder de tu mente amigo ✌️ 

• Like 2

For me it is just some trying and tests. But i hope in some day it is will be interesting. I don't have any workshop, just some place outdoor and forge from trash. Next few projects and i can finish with it. But now i have material for some posting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM3TyL66uKC-JQ81vHOo3fA

I saw this channel before i made my forge, but of course i was thinking before about it also just not very need all this almost. Now some like free possibility for me because i did it. Also i was need hardening for finland blade.

• Like 1

It's cool those YouTube videos @ganjalover interesting ....

I also don't have a workshop where I can earn money but that's what I call the place where I work with my tools abroad, changing the subject I have approved a utility model of a type of magnetic bearing but I can't find a company that manufactures it without costing me  life 💵 , I see a dead end but I want to see my invention going, I think I will have to make the prototype myself

Esta muy bien esos videos de YouTube @ganjalover interesante....

Yo tampoco tengo un taller de trabajo donde ganar dinero pero así le llamo yo al sitio donde trabajo con mis herramientas en el exterior, cambiando de tema tengo aprobado un modelo de utilidad de un tipo de cojinete magnético pero no encuentro empresa que lo fabrique sin costarme la vida 💵 , lo veo un camino sin salida pero quiero ver mi invento en marcha, creo que tendré que hacer el prototipo yo mismo 

_20190908_120737.thumb.JPG.344c55e626d669594be5adb5afb76004.JPG

_20190908_120759.thumb.JPG.579b4bd4fb8bf020b1065fc470e24f86.JPG

_20190908_120818.thumb.JPG.3fd4a0e8b96b648f65c93cb7b3dcff9d.JPG

_20190908_120719.thumb.JPG.0b9fd99fabb3eba3d6cfacaaf8464c26.JPG

• Like 1

42752375_IMG_20190908_193314.jpg 42752498_IMG_20190908_193309.jpg

After hardening steel is much more strong for file, but how long will be live this knife i don't know. I made low temperature release for steel from handle almost. Hardening from +800-900C in wood with clay and water. Only cutting side hardened. next skate I'll cut with radial cutting.

42753672_IMG_20190908_201740.jpg

Here maybe possible to see hardening was with not greatest temperature and i believe this steel is hardened fine now. Hardening r18 steel was very different and even without wood.

• Like 1

42795300_IMG_20190909_135503.jpg 42795301_IMG_20190909_135440.jpg

As for me it is enough sharp and cut is aggressive. Not many time i spend on sharpening.

42795315_IMG_20190909_135942.jpg

I will do some simple handle later and will try it on corn harvest.

Knife using is very nice and easy in this case. But now blade bit damaged near handle. But now steel in this place not hardened to much.

42795432_IMG_20190909_150640.jpg

Maybe it is 'У13' steel, but i don't know for sure. For me it is close to 80crv2, but different bit.

• Like 2

Today i finished small Finland knife. Not without any mistakes but result almost fine. Red knife still in progress.

IMG_20190913_185210.jpg

Finland knife have a good cut now. But after touch with other my old knife some part of this knife was gone. This is ''11р3ам3ф2'' steel with 63 hrc.

IMG_20190913_185933.jpg

I paint bit touch place with black marker and i hope no big problem with it. Here possible fix all this on diamond wheel but i don't see big sense in this. Finland knife enough strong and sharp now. Maybe not bad result totally.