Jack Herer Germination Problems - Solved

gasmeter

When I checked the last 3 Jack Herer beans on the damp kitchen roll this morning I can clearly see there is no change none of them have cracked their shell yet.

It doesn't look like any of them will germinate, but I will let them run for a few more days to give them a chance to germinate.

So it is just a case of waiting to see what happens :boredom::whistle:

It ain't looking good for these last 3 beans for sure.

@OG.Naj yes bro I have just sent an email to GH support staff to explain what has happened and provide a link to this thread and asked about replacements.

I will give them 7 days as Green House advise, but I doubt they will germinate in the meantime I need to think about popping a couple more beans so I have 4 plants, I am thinking either GH Cheese or Exodus Cheese, but I am also thinking I might pop a couple of the Passion #1 beans from last summer. :pleasantry:

• Like 1

I got a reply from the support team at Green House and they said the fact the beans looked very dark indicated they had been too wet, it looks like I drowned them.

The germination instructions Green House recommend soaking the beans for 6 to 12 hours then placing them onto damp kitchen roll which should also cover the beans too and then place them in a dark place and just keep them damp.

I have been leaving the beans soaking in a glass of water until they sink to the bottom of the glass, which has worked in the past and I have only had a couple of beans mess up, but the bean is saturated by the time I put it onto the damp kitchen roll, and then I compounded that by keeping the kitchen roll too damp making it wet thinking it would help them germinate but I was just ending up drowning them.

In future I am going to follow the recommendation by Mike from the Green House support staff to soak for 4 hours them pop the beans onto the damp kitchen roll.

Despite the fact I had not followed the germination method properly the staff have sent me a replacement pack of 10 beans due to the circumstances, so I am well grateful for their advice and mercy replacing the beans, big up Green House crew :clapping::pleasantry:

• Like 1

Yesterday one of the last 3 Jack Herer beans actually popped, but the other 2 have not done anything.

With the two seedlings under the fluorescent tube their roots were poking out of the bottom of the sponge plugs so I have put them into pots in some dirt.

29nov-2019-jh-seedlings.jpg

Jack Herer seedlings roots.

29nov-2019-jh-seedlings-root-plugs.jpg

Little pots and dirt in a bucket ready for the new Jack Herer seedlings.

29nov-2019-plant-pots.jpg

Jack Herer seedlings in little plastic pots ready to go under the fluorescent tube.

29nov-2019-jh-seedlings-potted.jpg

Happy growing... :pleasantry:

• Like 2

This morning when I checked the last 3 Jack Herer beans only one has germinated and its tap root is definitely longer than it was last night.

The other 2 beans still have not cracked their shell cases as you can see in the image below.

30nov-2019-jh-bean-popped.jpg

So I decided to pop a Passion #1 bean from the plants I grew last summer, the bud on a couple of stalks had beans in so I saved them.

30nov-2019-p#1-beans.jpg

I chose one with a tortoise shell like pattern on the casing.

30nov-2019-p#1-single-bean.jpg

I then put it into a little plastic container of water to soak for 4 hours as advised by the Green House staff.

30nov-2019-p#1-bean-soaking.jpg

Here are the 2 Jack Herer seedlings in their little pots.

30nov-2019-jh-seedlings.jpg

I placed the Passion #1 bean into the water to soak at about 10am this morning and at 2pm about 30 minutes ago I place it on the damp kitchen roll with the 3 Jack Herer beans to germinate.

So even if the other 2 Jack Herer beans do not germinate which I doubt hopefully the Passion #1 will be OK and then I will have 4 plants to fill the tent for the next run, the Passion #1 is a nice strain it has a piney and earthy aroma and taste, and it flowers in 6 weeks so it will finish first. :imsohappy:

The tap root on the third Jack Herer bean to pop has grown long enough to put into a Root It sponge plug.

So after watering and giving 3 of the Sweet Valley Kush a light feed I soaked a new Root It plug in water then cut it open with scissors, then I held the sponge lug open with one hand and gently picked up the seedling and gently placed it into the sponge plug so the sponge gently grips the tap root allowing the seedling to grow upwards.

Then I dripped some water onto the sponge to make it damp and put it onto the window sill, I decided I would give the seedlings an 18/6 photoperiod  so this morning at 6.30am when I got up I switched off the fluorescent tube until 12.30pm, then I moved the new seedling under the fluorescent tube with the other two.

Popped Jack Herer bean and at the front is the Passion #1 bean the two on each site look dead I doubt they will pop now.

01dec-2019-beans-kitchen-roll.jpg

New seedling in root plug.

01dec-2019-jh-bean-root-plug.jpg

Top view of root plug you can just see the seed casing in the hole in the root plug.

01dec-2019-jh-bean-planted.jpg

Hopefully the new Passion #1 bean will pop I am making sure to keep the kitchen roll damp I will throw the 2 Jack Herer beans that haven't popped their shells are still dark brown despite the fact the kitchen roll is now damp so they are definitely departed :bad:

• Like 1

This morning when I got up at 6.30am I switched off the fluorescent tube so the Jack Herer seedlings get 6 hours of dark, the last of the Jack Herer beans to germinate is getting closer to the surface of the sponge plug, so hopefully it will rise above the surface and come earth strong today or tomorrow.

When I checked the last 2 Jack Herer beans they have not change at all so I have crushed them and thrown them away, but what could be good news is the Passion #1 bean appears to have cracked its shell case.

02dec-2019-p#1-bean.jpg

I am just making sure to keep the kitchen roll nice and damp but not wet, I will keep a close eye on progress over the next few hours. :good:

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon the Passion #1 bean had definitely cracked its shell case and started to throw out a tap root and this morning the little tap root is growing nicely :good:

03dec-2019-p#1-bean-germinated.jpg

The 3rd Jack Here bean in the root plug has now grown above the root plugs surface and is earth strong :good:

03dec-2019-jh-seedling-earth-strong.jpg

New Jack Herer seedling close up

03dec-2019-jh-seedling-close-up.jpg

Yesterday lunch time the 10 pack of replacement Jack Herer beans arrived, thanks to all the staff at Green House for their kindness replacing the beans despite me being such a dick and drowning the beans by getting them wet rather than damp, big up Green House :clapping::pleasantry::good:

As soon as the tap root on the Passion #1 bean is a bit longer I can put it into a Root It sponge plug and get it under the fluorescent tube.

• Like 2

This morning at 6.30am when I checked the Passion #1 the tap root had grown long enough to put it into a Root It plug.

So I dripped some water onto the kitchen roll to keep it damp until lunch time, when I switch the fluorescent tube in the cupboard back on then I can put it into a Root It plug and place it with the Jack Herer seedlings.

After I had something to eat at lunch time I switched on the fluorescent tube then I soaked a new Root It plug in water and cut it with scissors to slice it down one side, then when I checked the Passion #1 bean it had cast its shell case as you can see in the image below.

04dec-2019-p#1-seedling-tap-root.jpg

I very gently got hold of the seedlings cotyledon leaves and place it into the Root It plug I had prepared.

04dec-2019-p#1-seedling-placed-in-root-plug.jpg

You can just see the cotyledon leaves inside the root plug.

04dec-2019-p#1-visible-in-root-plug.jpg

I then put the Passion #1 seedling in its root plug with the others and dripped some water on the root plug to make it nice and damp then I moved all of the seedlings back under the fluorescent tube for the rest of their day, hopefully the Passion #1 seedling will grow above the sponge surface today or tomorrow and come earth strong.

04dec-2019-jh-p#1-seedlings.jpg

I will mix up a mild solution of the mineral grow feed for the 2 oldest Jack Herer seedlings and start giving them a feed at the moment I am giving them about 10ml of water every 2 days when the dirt dries out.

I think I am safe to start a proper journal now I have 4 seedlings on the go for the next run.

Happy growing... :pleasantry::good:

• Like 1

This morning when I got up at 6.30am and checked the new Passion #1 seedling before I switched off the fluorescent tube it was still just below the surface of the sponge plug.

When I switched the fluorescent tube on at 12.30pm the Passion #1 cotyledons were still just below the surface of the root plug, but I could see that the leave have started t go green, so I took the sponge plug out of the little plastic pot and opened it so I could gently ease the cotyledons above the surface of the root plug and help it come earth strong.

The problem was the cotyledon leaves were bent at a right angle within the hole in the sponge plug which was not helping it to push upwards above the surface of the sponge plug, this is the great thing about these sponge plugs by splitting them down one side it is easy to open the plug if necessary.

05dec-2019-p#1-top-view.jpg

05dec-2019-p#1-close-up.jpg

I will mix a weak solution of grow feed and start to give the first 2 Jack Herer seedlings in the plastic pots a feed.

• Like 1

The new Passion #1 seedling is standing strong and it has pushed a root through the side of the sponge plug.

08dec-2019-p#1-seedling-close-up.jpg

Jack Herer seedlings and Passion #1 seedling

08dec-2019-jh-p#1-seedlings.jpg

All the seedlings under the fluorescent tube.

08dec-2019-seedlings-fluoro.jpg

I have mixed 0.4g of the grow powder feed in 1 litre of water along with 2ml of the Plant Magic Root Stimulant and I have started to give the seedlings in the plastic pots 10ml of the solution and I am alternating with just water.

This morning I also shared 10ml of the feed between the two seedlings in the root plugs to help them along.

• Like 2

Hi @OG.Naj there are 3 Jack Herer seedlings and 1 Passion #1 seedling

Two of the Jack Herer in the plastic pots are now ahead of the other Jack Herer and the Passion #1 seedlings that are still in the root plug plastic pots.

I will veg them all for the rest of this month and a couple of weeks into January then I will put them on a 12/12 photoperiod, the Jack Herer has an 8 week flowering period and the Passion #1 has a 6 week flowering period so it will be finished a couple of weeks before the Jack Herer.

It is a great strain Passion #1 especially for outdoor here in the UK and with a 6 week flowering period you have a good chance of harvesting some buds, it smells like pine and earthy with a hint of lemon and it is a nice smoke and tastes like it smells plus the strength and vibe are good too. :clapping:

• Like 1

The 3 Jack Herer seedlings and the single Passion #1 seedling are all doing great and growing nicely under the fluorescent tube on an 18/6 photoperiod.

So when germinating seeds it is best to soak them for 6 to 12 hours as recommended by Green House Seeds on their web site, or even just soak them for 4 hours and then place them between some moist or damp kitchen roll and bear in mind the seeds do need oxygen to germinate.

The tissue or kitchen roll can be placed on or between two plates and then place somewhere dark such as a drawer and keep the kitchen roll or tissue damp or moist do not soak them they will probably drown.

Usually the seeds shell casing will crack within 48 to 72 hours, but seeds can take up to 5 or 6 days to germinate so be patient, once the little white tap root becomes visible they are then ready to plant in a root plug or straight into whatever substrate you are using.

Place the seed in the root plug or substrate with the little white tap root facing downwards and then keep the medium moist and the seedling will begin to grow within 2 to 5 days.

Here is a link to the germination instructions on the Green House Seeds web site/store

https://shop.greenhouseseeds.nl/germination-instructions.html

By following the instruction provided by GHS you should successfully germinate your seeds.

• Like 1