Big Crops in Thailand

Sensation

On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, R.G.S said:

I think it's not a rain problem, it's a cold problem

Creo que no es problema de la lluvia es más bien problema de frío 

I really believe it is the rain. Pls. check temperature in Chiang Mai in this season: https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/thailand

Doesnt go below 20°C but rain is crazy. Therefore, also sativas dont have so dense buds that mold is not created as easy as with dense buds.

Will keep you guys updated based on my experiences. I can just tell you that there is really a lack of knowledge. I met Alan Dronkers in Thailand and we talked a lot about the issues. What i realized is that everybody is really afraid trying sth there because of different issues. But you know the saying guys: everybody said it is not working until one guy just came and did it =D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ragamuffin said:

The main obstacle growing outdoors in Thailand is the light cycle.  Although sunlight is bright and strong all year long, which the plants love, the days are short. The longest day will have 13:06 hours of sunlight, and the shortest 11:00. Therefore, most photoperiod-dependent strains grown outdoors will begin to flower too early, before they can veg into large, healthy, productive plants. This is also the case for autoflowers, which although they are supposed to grow regardless of photoperiod, still need more than 12 hours of light to grow properly. The exceptions are sativa strains that have been bred in tropical latitudes, including the traditional Thai strains. So, in addition to finding the high CBD/low THC strains you are looking for, you also have to find genetics that are suitable to the short tropical  days. One solution to the light problem is to install supplemental CFL lights to run for an additional 6-8 hours. This works well in greenhouses and small grows, but I don't know whether it would be efficient in a large field.  The other environmental problem could be high humidity, so be sure to choose strains that have some resistance to mold, and which grow tall and airy. If I were you, I would first experiment with a few strains and their light needs, and then see whether they can be grown in large quantity outdoors or require more control in a greenhouse. Check out the latest Elevated Estate podcasts for more information on native strains. 

Thank you for your opinion ragamuffin. I totally support this oppinion and this is exactly what i planned to do. Actually i am trying different % of Sativa starting fom 60% to 100% sativa. I truly believe that mold is just in the rainy season a problem, in the dry season as i explained it is not such a big issue with mold. Furthermore, i also totally agree with your approach of additional light. Based on my talks with some legends from the industry they explained me that in jamaica for the mother plants and for the veg they just have normal bulbs hanging on the field. As you know in order to keep them in veg you really dont need such strong light. Would be happy to keep the conversation here in listen to your opinions. 

@Sensation, I am very pleased to see that you have become a regular poster here in StrainHunters.

I agree that the location in Thailand does pose a bit of a problem for strict photoperiod plants like most of the Cannabis strains that the rest of us are accustommed to..

However, I also believe that Cannabis is a plant that can rapidly change (evolutionary-speaking), and there may already be some strains of Cannabis that may have already adapted to near-equatorial photoperiods.

One comes to mind:  The strain Zamal from the Island of Reunion has become the landrace of that island.  Reunion is not as close to the equator as Thailand, but it is closer than most of Europe, I think.  There may be some other landraces originating from areas even closer to the equator.  Maybe some other members here can make some suggestions.

I do not think that StrainHunters has yet collected the Zamal strain.  As I understand it, the islanders who have it are very stingy with it; like they don't want anyone else to have access to their Zamal landrace strain.

@Sensation, welcome to StrainHunters.

@Sensation

Why you don't work with the thai landrace and cross it with a high cbd sativa strain ?

If you grow in big feeld you need a research team 

I don't think a another plant than original landrace of a country can better adapt to the country climate???

• Like 3

I totally agree with you friend @g22 is it so simple to protect the plants from the rain and after having a tropical climate @Sensation do you tell me that it is not the best climate?  hard to get those factors, a tent for plants not so much, don't you think?

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo amigo @g22 es tan sencillo proteger las plantas de la lluvia y después de tener un clima tropical @Sensation me dices que no es el mejor clima? difícil conseguir esos factores, una carpa para plantas no tanto, no crees? 

• Like 1