Nordic Guerilla season 2020

Guovsahas

@g22 WOW! That is amazing! What a great pic! Sounds like a really cool job to have :)  It is very beautiful here. Feeling very grateful for that. As terrible as this whole corona thing is, it is a nice break for the Earth to be able to heal itself while we are all laying low. 

• Like 1

• @g22 We will just have to wait and see once we are on the other side of this thing. One thing is certain, the world as we know it will be changed forever and so will the people. We certainly cannot continue on the way we are with our polluting. Here's to hoping that this changes some people's perspectives on the natural world, economy vs life, and sustainability. 
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I haven't updated for a while, I've been very busy with my garden out in the front and preparing the area as well as watching the local news to see how things unfold, it seems that Sweden which doesn't have a full lockdown compared to many other countries won't be implementing a full lockdown so that's good news. I'll post some pictures soon from my work in the swamp so you can see how it looks like, I'm still a bit worried about carrying a lot of soil, manure and coco coir out to the area but I'll be doing that before I move any plants.

Most seeds have germinated except a few and I'll post some pictures of them soon.

Those are some beautiful pictures where you are from @Jenji & @g22, I'm happy that Sweden hasn't gone that way to a full lockdown and everyone stays at home anyways so I can go out to prepare.

I hope everyone are staying safe and those of you growing outdoors, I hope this season is a good one

• Like 3

After careful reconsideration I've chosen this site, southwards it's only reeds and northwards it's bushes and short trees which during peak summer grows like a wall. I decided to move further into the wetlands because I found alternative entry points close to the new spot, it's in a area which has a lot of cover from bushes in the event I need to bail and I could use a canoe or boat to move the soil close to the spot. Carrying soil through the wetlands is not a option at this moment because in several places I would've sunk deeper if I carried one or two bags of soil, I had wished that it was a decent winter so I could've carried the soil and place it under a tarp so that it was waiting there for me.

Jorge Cervantes in his book on Guerilla growing talks about observing changes in nature after growing at a spot, I noticed that me moving back and forth had created a path with visible boot prints from last year so that's why I moved

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Guovsahas said:

Jorge Cervantes in his book on Guerilla growing talks about observing changes in nature after growing at a spot, I noticed that me moving back and forth had created a path with visible boot prints from last year so that's why I moved

That is a good point and great advice you need a holistic view of the plants and the landscape.

I suppose it is too easy to become focused on just the plants rather than zooming out so you can view the plants and the landscape they inhabit.

• Like 2

i would love to see the progress of this guerilla set up ,and smart thinking is key in guerilla growing my friend . every single person that walks there dog every day wil notice any change or disturbance in the fields !! all the best to ya and stay save , greetings from the netherlands 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsm said:

i would love to see the progress of this guerilla set up ,and smart thinking is key in guerilla growing my friend . every single person that walks there dog every day wil notice any change or disturbance in the fields !! all the best to ya and stay save , greetings from the netherlands 

The thing is that you won't be able to see the wetlands, there's a highway on one side and on the other side is a river. It's nearly impossible to get there however there are homeless in the area but they further away from the wetlands due to the mosquitoes. Last year I met a retired man and his dog but it's still a bit away from the wetlands, I also met a man building a shelter with a machete so it's hard to get to where I am growing but I also found a empty redbull can near my first spot which gave me a bad feeling.

The picture below is from last years guerilla grow and last year I thought that this place was perfect but finding a redbull can and how visible my tracks are I've reconsidered changing BUT one thing is bothering me a lot and it's that in autumn the rains will come and the water level will rise. My new spot might still not be high up enough

IMG_9359.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, gasmeter said:

That is a good point and great advice you need a holistic view of the plants and the landscape.

I suppose it is too easy to become focused on just the plants rather than zooming out so you can view the plants and the landscape they inhabit.

I've got a problem though, the spot I've chosen might be too low. In autumn the rains come and the water level rises, it's a wetlands so it'll be deep in some spots. Last year in one area I sank up to my armpits.

I am really not sure if it's above the water, currently the water level is extremely low and will keep going down as temperatures rise but around mid-September the rain will double the amount of water every day

• Like 1

Everyone! I've got a problem, I just realized that even if the new spot I chose is good it might be too low. Right now and during all of summer it'll be dry HOWEVER around mid-September the rains will come and water levels will be a lot higher. I don't know what to do either I risk it and around autumn the water will rise MAYBE drowning the plants OR I split the plants up so that the autos grow in the reeds WHILE the photoperiod plants grow in a different place above the water.

What should I do? Any thoughts and advice?

• Like 1

Grow the plants in heavy felt-bags with handles.  (I forget the commercial name for those bags.) 

They can be filled with your favorite soil mix or with soil from the ground, but the bag can simply sit on top of the ground.  If or when the rains begin, you can move the plants.

Or, if you want to keep them in the same guerilla location, then place the bag on top of a tall mound of dirt.

Of course, these measures will significantly alter your environmental impact and reduce your stealth.

• Like 2

Man that is a dilemma you got there

In the image I notice there are some trunks of young trees that have either fallen or been cut down, you could use them to make like fence posts and then hammer them into the ground to make a tripod above ground level so if and when necessary you could lift them up onto the tripods.

Hopefully there is enough fallen timber to do the job or at least drastically reduce the amount of timber you would need to import.

Another way around this involves a totally different perspective is to do like @Gordon does in his guerilla grows he puts his plants in the tree canopy, but it a remote location.

I think splitting them up is probably a good idea in case anything goes wrong to minimize loses.

I overstand you being wary after finding the empty Red Bull can, but whoever dropped it and littered such a beautiful spot did that because they are not expecting to go back so hopefully the gormless twat will stay at home supping Red Bull watching TV vegging out on the sofa. :slow:

• Like 3

Hi There ,i would definitely split them up into two different patches ,you simply cant predict the level of water rise so why should you take a change of loosing all .

If its already a bed i would put my money on two changes every day instead of one ,so you have the most change of getting at least something for all your hard work and effort .

• Like 2

With guerilla grows, one must give back to nature before one can harvest.  But keep footprints at a minimum.

Splitting them-out to multiple places could increase their odds of survival, but will also increase your workload and footpaths in the area.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2020 at 10:24 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Grow the plants in heavy felt-bags with handles.  (I forget the commercial name for those bags.) 

They can be filled with your favorite soil mix or with soil from the ground, but the bag can simply sit on top of the ground.  If or when the rains begin, you can move the plants.

Or, if you want to keep them in the same guerilla location, then place the bag on top of a tall mound of dirt.

Of course, these measures will significantly alter your environmental impact and reduce your stealth.

I did that last year, I used jute bags but it was a bitch to carry them out there so that I could move them. I also needed to water more frequently because of that so I was hoping to lower workload by watering less when growing them in the ground and not in pots.

I actually think I'll be splitting the plants up, autos in one place and photoperiod in another place. I was also looking at building a tall mound but it would be a lot of work and I also thought of constructing special pots like in Nova Scotia as in the article from Cannabis Culture on Swamp Growing but that could make a lot of noise when working in the swamp, I want to keep noise and trails to a minimum

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2006/04/13/4723/

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 5:02 PM, gasmeter said:

Man that is a dilemma you got there

In the image I notice there are some trunks of young trees that have either fallen or been cut down, you could use them to make like fence posts and then hammer them into the ground to make a tripod above ground level so if and when necessary you could lift them up onto the tripods.

Hopefully there is enough fallen timber to do the job or at least drastically reduce the amount of timber you would need to import.

Another way around this involves a totally different perspective is to do like @Gordon does in his guerilla grows he puts his plants in the tree canopy, but it a remote location.

I think splitting them up is probably a good idea in case anything goes wrong to minimize loses.

I overstand you being wary after finding the empty Red Bull can, but whoever dropped it and littered such a beautiful spot did that because they are not expecting to go back so hopefully the gormless twat will stay at home supping Red Bull watching TV vegging out on the sofa. :slow:

I was actually thinking of building a "fence" with the dead trees and bushes, it would also work as a way to cover the plants. The local beavers also have eaten a lot of wood so I don't need to do too much work, there's a lot of perfect wood for making a fence.

I'm hoping that the person whoever dropped the redbull can will stay away, it changes everything. I've been looking around the area for a new place even spreading out the number of plants so not all "eggs" are in one basket.

I've got 15 photoperiod plants and 8 autos so far so to minimize losses I'll be splitting up the plants

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 5:35 PM, jsm said:

Hi There ,i would definitely split them up into two different patches ,you simply cant predict the level of water rise so why should you take a change of loosing all .

If its already a bed i would put my money on two changes every day instead of one ,so you have the most change of getting at least something for all your hard work and effort .

I have come to that decision as well that I'll be splitting the plants up, the new spot will be better for the autos and I'll be looking at a new spot for my photoperiod plants.

• Like 2

So here are some of the photoperiod plants. They are on the balcony which is southfacing and they are vegging away.

I also wanted to post a picture from Jorge Cervantes book on Guerilla Growing, I've been looking for a better way to transport my plants, I found a hard backpack at Ikea which is ideal for transporting the plants, I'll be putting a pvc tube to keep them straight and to minimize damage.

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

• Like 3

i will definitely fill up the cups/pots with soil again before i replant them ,so the thinner/long  stems can get a bit fatter and stronger ,it's a thing i always do and it's always working for me .

fatter stems ends up with better transportation of water and nutrients and so also with better yields  ,looking forward to see the progress you make my friend !!!

and yes rabbits like young greens so good thinking about the tube's :clapping:

• Like 2