Cannabissapean's TestGrow of Kong's Krush and Cloudwalker

It seems that Kong's Krush is a difficult seed to germinate.  I shall give it my best shot.

For all the seeds in this grow journal, I plan to use predominantly rainwater as my base water source.  For the germinating process, I use distilled water.

I plan to use predominantly GreenHouse nutrients:  BioGrow, BioBloom, Additive Enhancer, and occasionally Powderfeeding Long-Flowering and Powderfeeding Booster.

I shall grow in soil, my own supersoil mix.

I use two tents.  One tent is for Vegetation using T8 36Watt Fluorescent Tubes for lighting (2 CoolWhite tubes, 2 Grow-Spectrum tubes).  The second tent is the flowering tent using two multi-Spectrum LED lamps, each 270-Watts.  With this set-up, I am able to push as many as 10 to 12 plants at a time in the Vegg phase, but only 4 plants comfortably in the flowering tent (6 if I really push it hard).  This will mean that eventually, some of the plants that grow in the Vegg tent will need to be transplanted to outside locations, such as guerilla locations or in my glasshouse.

So, let's get busy:

03May2020 at ~10:00a.m.

First, I shall mix a solution for use in the germination phase.  A little bit of BioGrow and a little bit of Enhancer in a glass.  Add some Distilled water, stir well.

Edit:  Thanks g22.  Actually, the little bit of BoiGrow that I used in this solution is a dried leftover of BioGrow that I had scraped from the bottom of a plastic watering can from a previous feeding of other Cannabis plants.  It probably contains only trace amounts of the nutrients normally found in BioGrow.  The main ingredient of this solution is the Enhancer.  This is a test...

c_using BioBloom and Enhancer to mix a germination solution.jpg

d_just a little bit in a small glass.jpg

e_distilled water and stir well.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, R.G.S. for the wish of luck.

03 May 2020

The plastic plates that I am using are normally used under pots.  Here, I use them to hold my papertowels for germinating.  I used a dropper to place 3 or 4 drops of the solution onto the papertowel for each seed. 

f_using a dropper to place a few drops on papertowel for each seed.jpg

At first, I placed 5 Kong's Krush seeds onto the papertowel, but then I decided to reserve 2 of them back into their Kong's Krush package for a later attempt. (3 seeds in back are Kong's Krush).  The 2 seeds to the front of the papertowel are GreenHouse Kush seeds.

g_placed 5 Kong's Krush seeds_later returned 2 of the seeds back in package_see next picture.jpg

h_2 Kong's Krush seeds returned to package_front 2 seeds are GreenHouse Kush seeds.jpg

• Like 4

03 May 2020

Now, I do the same thing for the Cloudwalker.  Drops of solution on the papertowel, 3 seeds in the back are Cloudwalker.  The 2 seeds to the front are from a friend.  He said it was from a bag of some good weed, but he has no idea what strain, so I will call them Mystery Muffin.

i_using dropper again prepping for Cloudwalker seeds.jpg

J_placed 3 Cloudwalker seeds and 2 seeds called Mystery Muffin.jpg

IMG_20200503_203039.jpg

• Like 5

03 May 2020 at 10:30 a.m.

I close the papertowel over the seeds, and then using a spray-bottle, I spray Distilled water onto the papertowels until they are moist, not soaking wet, just damp.

Then I nest a second plate onto the papertowel.  This helps to slow the evaporation without blocking the exchange of air/oxygen.

I place these germination plates in a dark comfortably warm place. 

I'll check on them after 36 hours.

k_Both papertowels closed then sprayed with distilled water then covered with a second plastic plate.jpg

L_plates closed but not sealed.jpg

m_both plates placed in a dark medium warm place to germinate.jpg

• Like 4

03 May 2020

The rest of the solution, I diluted with about 3 liters of rainwater, and I used it to feed all the other existing plants that are on the balcony and the 4 plants that are currently in the Flowering tent under the Topic "While we wait..."

N_the rest of the solution is diluted into about 3 liters of rainwater and fed to all the existing plants  on balcony and in floweringtent.jpg

• Like 6

04 a.m.  07 May 2020

I decided to check on the seeds.

The 3 Kong's Krush seeds (in the upper and middle positions of the picture, marked KK) have changed to a dark color, but have not cracked open.

One of the GreenHouse Kush seeds (in the lower positions of the picture, marked GHK) has cracked and has barely exposed its root-tip.

I closed the papertowel and sprayed them again with distilled water, re-nested the plates and placed them again in their 22°C germination place.

They need more time.

a_3KongsNoChange_1of2GHKushCrackedShell.jpg

A closer view.

b_CloserView.jpg

• Like 2

04 a.m.  07 May 2020

The 3 Cloudwalker seeds (in the upper and middle positions of the picture, marked CW) have cracked and have extended root-tips about 10 to 12 mm.  They are ready to plant into their soil medium.  I plan to do that later this same day.

Both of the MysteryMuffin seeds (in the lower positions of the picture, marked MystMuf) have turned a darker color, but they have not yet cracked open.  They need more time.

I closed the papertowel and sprayed them again with distilled water, re-nested the plates and placed them again in their 22°C germination place.

c_3CloudwalkersTailsReady_2MysteryMuffinsNoChange.jpg

A closer view.

d_CloserView.jpg

• Like 5

On 04/05/2020 at 9:27 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Thanks, R.G.S. for the wish of luck.

03 May 2020

The plastic plates that I am using are normally used under pots.  Here, I use them to hold my papertowels for germinating.  I used a dropper to place 3 or 4 drops of the solution onto the papertowel for each seed. 

f_using a dropper to place a few drops on papertowel for each seed.jpg

At first, I placed 5 Kong's Krush seeds onto the papertowel, but then I decided to reserve 2 of them back into their Kong's Krush package for a later attempt. (3 seeds in back are Kong's Krush).  The 2 seeds to the front of the papertowel are GreenHouse Kush seeds.

g_placed 5 Kong's Krush seeds_later returned 2 of the seeds back in package_see next picture.jpg

h_2 Kong's Krush seeds returned to package_front 2 seeds are GreenHouse Kush seeds.jpg

Sorry if I missed some think but what is the brown stuff around the seeds ??

• Like 1

@g22, actually it is only a little bit of dried BioGrow leftover granules that I had scraped from the bottom of one of my plastic watering cans after I had fed some other cannabis plants a few days prior. 

I knew that most of the soluble nutrients of the scrapings were already gone, that most likely there were only trace amounts remaining in the scrapings.  But that was OK for my purposes.  I figured that a few trace Bio-nutrients might help the germination process.  The main part of the solution is the Enhancer.

Seeing that others were having difficulty with the Kong's Krush, I just wanted to try something different to broaden the field of germination methods, hoping to find something that might give Kong's Krush another chance for success.

Edit:  Please do understand, the above germination method is only a test.  Please do not take from this that this is a proven method.  It is not.  This is only a test.  An experiment.  We are testers. 

Observe. Record. Hypothesise. Try something different. Observe again, record again.  Try to arrive at a conclusion.

That is the scientific method.

• Like 5

Today, I planted the 3 germinated Cloudwalker seeds, and one of the 3 Kong's Krush seeds.

Yes, one of the 3 Kongs did germinate, but its vigor is nowhere near that of the Cloudwalker seeds.  The Cloudwalker seeds pushed out tails that stretched 5 or 6 centimeters long.  They actually burrowed into the papertowel.  It could be that while extracting them from the papertowel, I may have damaged some of the root-tip hairs, but I feel good about the Cloudwalker seeds.  The Kong's Krush seed had virtually no hairs on its tail.

Here is a view of the Cloudwalker seeds.  The Mystery Muffin seeds have done nothing so far.  I returned them to the dark germination place.

a_Cloudwalkers on Steroids_Mystery Muffin NuttinHoney.jpg

The Cloudwalkers are planted DEEPLY in the soil, yet the leafy tops are right at the surface.

b_Cloudwalkers with long tails planted in first cups.jpg

Cloudwalkers under the Fluorescent tubes in the crowded VeggTent.

c_Cloudwalkers placed under Fluorescent tubes.jpg

• Like 7

Here is the Kong's Krush and the GH Kush germination tray.  It appears that the one GH Kush seed that had cracked open, it never extended its root.  I think it may now be dead.  But one of the Kong's Krush seeds did germinate and extended a root.  The root is not so long, and it has virtually no hairs.  But I shall plant it anyway.

d_Kong's Krush only one cracked and tail is short_GHK seeds have died.jpg

e_Closeup of only Kong's Krush to open and tail.jpg

The white arrow points at the seed casing.

f_the Kong's Krush planted into first cup.jpg

Under the lamps with the Cloudwalkers.

g_Kong's Krush under lamps with the Cloudwalkers.jpg

Happy Growing everyone.  Stay safe.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Cannabissapean said:

@g22, actually it is only a little bit of dried BioGrow leftover granules that I had scraped from the bottom of one of my plastic watering cans after I had fed some other cannabis plants a few days prior. 

I knew that most of the soluble nutrients of the scrapings were already gone, that most likely there were only trace amounts remaining in the scrapings.  But that was OK for my purposes.  I figured that a few trace Bio-nutrients might help the germination process.  The main part of the solution is the Enhancer.

Seeing that others were having difficulty with the Kong's Krush, I just wanted to try something different to broaden the field of germination methods, hoping to find something that might give Kong's Krush another chance for success.

Edit:  Please do understand, the above germination method is only a test.  Please do not take from this that this is a proven method.  It is not.  This is only a test.  An experiment.  We are testers. 

Observe. Record. Hypothesise. Try something different. Observe again, record again.  Try to arrive at a conclusion.

That is the scientific method.

Thank's to share your experiment bro i hope you get good result 🌱

• Like 6

Wow, even with the strain problems, you've managed to get a KK! It'll be very interesting to see how it evolves and what strain comes out there. Good germination technique, I take note for my personal tests! 

Cheers bro! 

• Like 2

6:30 morning of Sunday 10 May 2020

(the next day after putting the 3 Cloudwalkers and the single Kong's Kush in their first pots)

Here are the four pots.  The Cloudwalkers have already stood up and stretched.  The Kong's Kush is barely standing out of the soil, and his seed-casing won't let go.

Here is a view of the four pots.

a_view of the 3 Cloudwalkers and 1 Kong's Krush.jpg

The Cloudwalkers have already stood up and stretched.

CW-1

b_CW-1.jpg

CW-2

c_CW-2.jpg

CW-3

d_CW-3.jpg

The Kong's Kush is barely standing out of the soil, and his seed-casing won't let go.

f_Kong's Krush barely rising_2.jpg

• Like 4