hunt_a_blunt

Critical Orange Punch / Ed Rosenthal Superbud

14 posts in this topic

High Guys,

I am very happy to present my recently started grow featuring 

CRITICAL ORANGE PUNCH     10x

ED ROSENTHAL SUPERBUD    1x

I was looking for a strain which would yield quite well, because I do not have the oportunity to grow permanently. Besides the yield it was very important to grow something with an interesting flavour. To make a big harvest is nice, but if it doesnt taste well then I am fucked up with every joint I smoke, so I am always looking out for strains with characteristic flavour and after hours of researching and complaining  (its like an alcoholic in a whiykey bar forced to choose just one, lol) I made my choice with COP from Dutch Passion.

What got me interested was the description of the aroma, being described as a mix of hash/lcitrus/fruity. I always loved weed which tastes a bit like hash and I love weed with citrus flavour, so I hope this will be noticeable  at the end. The other thing that made me choose this strain was the effect of the smoke. It is described as quite long lasting, relaxing and a good mix between brain stimulation and physical effect. When I read about this strain it made the impression it could be in some way like the white widdow I grew once and I loved its combination too. Well, we will see.......At the moment the ladies are in flowering day 10, but I will try to begin this report from scratch even though I dont have photos from every single day since germination........

THE SETUP (ask if you want more info...)

- Homebox XL 

- 600 Watt with Adjust-a-wing reflector

- 72watt tubes for germination

- Adequate equip for air circulation 

- 0,3l pots fot germination

-11l pots

- special soil for germination

- Bio Bizz AllMix

- Bio Bizz Grow and Bloom and TopMax

- PH- (unfortunately, but I am forced to) 

THE CLIMATE

Temperature: 26,7 / 20,5

Humidity: 50 / 65 (depending on the weather outside)

Temperature is fine, nothing to worry about. But humidity could be a problem later on. Normally it is about 50-52 percent which is still okay, but depending on the weather it can rise to a level which makes me worry. If someone has a hint how to decreease it without paying lots of money I would be thankful. I guess I will try out putting a bowl of rice or salt in the tent and assure extra ventilation to avoid budrot.

THE START

I ordered a package of 10 fem  seeds and received the Ed Rosenthal Superbud as a bonus which got me pretty excited. I was always interested in this strain and now I am able to check it out. Thanks for the gift! As you can see from the setup, I am using small pots for germination as well as 3 24watt tubes. I am always doing this for the first week (round about) because it would be a waste of energy and way too much light for the little babies. After the first pair of leaves start to develop well, I am changing to the 600Watt, using 24/7 ventilation to strenghten the plant. I am also using Root Juice during the first 2 weeks to help the plant develop them quickly.

GERMINATION

Being put directly into germination soil it took about 3 days until every plant came out of the ground. I think it is the best way to germinate seeds and avoid to damage the root if you germinate them in wet tissues for example. 

FIRST FUCK-UP:)

Unfortunately there was one cripple among the Critical Orange Punch plants. I gave it a chance, but after 2 weeks I noticed it would be way to weak to keep it in the tent. This never happened before, but it is ok. So 10 plants are in the tent, thanks to the Ed Rosenthal Superbud Bonus:) Actually, as things are looking now I am somehow "happy" for the cripple, because I am really short on space......I didnt know the strain and really underestimated the growth and judged it as a more indica dominant variety.....

VEGETATION

The plants really developed well and quite fast after I changed to the 600w, so after almost 2 weaks I decided to change them into their final 11l pots. Some may say it is difficult to chance them from 0,3l directly into 11l, but as I have to keep time in mind and didnt want to stress them 2 times in 4 weaks I decided to do so. The plants seemed to be very happy with their new home and started to grow well. 

After almost exactly 4 weaks I switched to 12/12, because the "tiniest" plant already reached 45cm and the tallest one 60cm!! What I could already notice is that this strain seems to have 3 phenotypes.....As I will add photos later on, you will see what I mean. So far there was no problem at all apart from the cripple that I removed and the humidity some days.

FLOWERING

As mentioned above, ladies are now in Flowering Day 10 and today I am having a difficult choice.....2 of the plants will be removed because they start to show male signs too. This is really bad, bacause they looked interesting and different from the others. But I prefer to remove them before there will be pollination all over. The one plant showing male signs would have made a big headbut and I was thinking twice about removing the pollensacks and pay attention, but the other plants look so good so far that I really dont want to mess them up.

So guys, thanks for reading this lot of text.....feel free to comment, ask, give me hints......a respectful form of comunication is very appreciated;) And please be a little patient, because I cannot upload photos right now.

2 people like this

First photo you see is the Ed Rosenthal Superbud shortly before flowering. As you can tell from the light, the other photos are from the flowering stage, I guess day 4 or so. Even though it is not the best quality (apologize) I took them to show you the different phenotypes at least a bit. The second photo was taken 2 days ago and you can see now how I underestimated growth and why I am happy that I had one cripple. Even if I remove 2 plants today, the tent will still be fully loaded. The third photo show a very beutiful phenotype of the COP.....the one just on the right side......

1 person likes this

Well, this photo was from vegetation week 3! Next time I grow this strain I think I will switch to flowering period then....The plant in the middle got a little bit burned, because they grew heavily from one day to another what I did not expect.....But it recovered and it looks fine

SAM_0143.JPG

2 people like this

Update.........Yesterday I decided to drop 2 of the plants, beccause they startet to show male signs.....unfortunately....still though the tent is full and I am enjoying now to see the other plants blooming more and more.......It is flowering day 12 and I hope they will develop fine and form nice buds....the last plant got executed yesterday.....I really liked its looks, but no chance for genderissues here,lol........if this would have been 100% female I would have made a mother out of it.....needs little space, seems pretty strong etc......perfect for small space.....well, we cant have everything:)

SAM_0163.JPG

SAM_0164.JPG

SAM_0165.JPG

SAM_0166.JPG

SAM_0194.JPG

SAM_0191.JPG

SAM_0190.JPG

SAM_0181.JPG

SAM_0179.JPG

2 people like this

Nice organisation, level bowl shaped canopy.

Looking very nice well done.

jane.

Hi Mama,

thank you.....english is not my native language and I dont understand the term...."level bowl shaped canopy"....please tell me what that means......just stood up and I am still AFB=Away from Brain,lol....

The last picture is not my growroom obviously, haha....its where I bring males or hermaphrodites to carefully check and mostly......end their circle of life.....BUT in my case....I am making tea out of the leaves...so they arent useless.

There is a lot of equipment one can buy....seeing your report made me remember that I used the same reflector.....and I had temperature issues too. I saw that there are 29,4 degrees in your room. Must not be a problem, but constant 25-26 degrees (at daytime) is better in many cases...therefore I would buy the "adjust-a-wing" reflector. It is not expensive, is...you wont believe...adjustable,lol...and it really lowers temperature and allows you to go very near to your plants....meaning it is very effective. Dont remember how much the temp dropped when I changed to that one, but trust me.......you will love it. Using this reflector while using one vent to blow away the warm air just below the reflector works fine

I will update on weekend, and I will try to find an angle to take a foto where you can see the reflector and how close you can go.....greetz

Looking good

I am growing some critical orange punch autos outdoors currently....pretty close to the same age as yours 

UPDATE

Its flowering day 21...one thing happened...I came back after almost 3 days and noticed that the tims-shifting-clock (u undersand?) was changed to 24/7, bacause its broke......I hope plants didnt switch into vegetation  again......

Im pretty fucked up, fixed it, removed the pollensacks that cane out because of the "unnormal" light, and now Im begging everything works well....we will see......Im still sry for the quality o the fotos...Ill work out on that one............I will add fotos soon

@aquakush: thanks.......when I upload later today, u will see why I think one of the phenos is a monster outdoors.....what this plant does indoors in incredible, imagine outdoors.......still a bit "angry" for the technical issue I had...

So finally the fotos.........looks good so far, hope it stays this way and plants stay healthy and there will be no problem at all.......dont know how you feel at this stage of a grow, but I am getting more and more nervous......cant do anything, besides tell myself to chill.....because u cant smell, see or hear it......well.......can someone please give me a good and cheap option to deal with humidity??at the moment it is arround 60%.......I guess its not good at this time of the year indoors......tried out salt, but doesnt work too well......have a fan 24/7, but maybe there is something to be done I dont know....thx in advance

Second foto is taken for mama, to show her the reflector I can really recommend........The third shows my favourite pheno of the Critical Orange punch......grow this one outdoors and u will surely get a super harvest. The more sativa dominant pheno shows the most trichomes...lovely

The tallest plant meausres 130cm and the smallest 105cm. I hope they stop gaining height,lol......But if it stays this way I can still handle it without stress. What really impresses me are the sidebranches of the critical orange punch.....they are really strong and even the lower sidebranches are worth keeping......

BUT so far I would say it is recommendable to make a mother, or one from every pheno and then work with clones....because it is not that homogenetic. What really looks fine and really good for indoors is the Ed Rosenthal /NL.......Few leaves, very simetric, good bud formation.....so far I would recommend it. What really gets on my nerves is the hermaphrodites. Of courese due to this technical issue it may not be a problem of the strain itself, but even before I had to get rid of 2 because of that. Really never had issues with Dutch Passion but could always read aabout people complaining......seems it hit me this time. 

I am quite sure even though I control the plants carefully that there will be a few seeds......BUT feminin plant crossed with a 95+ % female hermaphrodite could result in some good seeds. I hope I can avoid it, but if you look at the mass of green its very likely to overlook something. Anyways, I guess if everything goes more or less smothly, then the yield will be good. 

overview.jpg

light.jpg

bud11.jpg

indica.jpg

bud32.jpg

bud2.jpg

bud3.jpg

bud9.jpg

bud21.jpg

bud22.jpg

bud27.jpg

bud29.jpg

bud32.jpg

Well, if you look carefully you may notice from the fotos there seems to be a nutrient problem.....I guess it is because of the unwanted shift to 24/7 daytime. I am not sure wether this is because the plants request nitrogen again at a level they shouldnt, or if it is because they are really really hungry for potasium for example.  Any idea? Best to be seen on foto nr5 from the ones I posted last times.......the teeth of the leaves turn a little bit yellow, hardly to be recognised, so still not too bad. I know plants do this from the bottom to top when going to finish, but on the foto I am talking about you see one main part of one plant.

I am wondering what to do......giving them nitrogen right now wouldnt make sense, because after correcting the time again to 12/12 they should adapt in a few days. Using biological nutrients its actually really difficult to give them too much feeding. Therefore I am mostly using a bit more then recommended....never had this problem and so my question is......increase flowering nutrients, because plants are big and hungry, wait because it is this way due to the technical issue....or - what I dont think...I gave them too much....the last option would  be.....the plants unexpectedly grew so big that they would need bigger pots....but at this stage I dont think it would make much sense to change that....or am I wrong??

thanks for your comments to help me brainstorm....just recognised this one today, because last time I was too busy 

Yeah this helps, thanks.......magnesium deficiency then this is due to the ph level of the tap water...I am adjusting it every time, but must have made a mistake last time. As I am using soil I guess it must be fine when I just give them right ph level from now on again. 

1 person likes this

I though it may have been magnesium from the photo

Plants look awesome tho!!!