White widow seedling not opening up

Valhalla

Hello

I recently got my first autoflower and followed the usual method for germination. 

Soaked the seed in a glass for s few hours, then placed it in between moist paper towels and it germinated within 24 hours. After that I placed the germinated seed tap root facing down in potting mix on 8th August. 

Now the sprout has grown only an inch tall and the seedling has not opened up. Ive been keeping the soil medium pretty wet. 

Have I done something wrong how to fix this? 

Just get yourself soil for germination, prepare the pot with it.....press the soil a bit, not too much, take a pen and make a whole of about 1cm depth. Then put the seed in, cover it gently with soil. Put a bit of water in your pot so the earth is gently moist, and then.....wait and have patience. Seeds germinate this way too and you wouldnt damage the root....greetz

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hunt_a_blunt said:

Just get yourself soil for germination, prepare the pot with it.....press the soil a bit, not too much, take a pen and make a whole of about 1cm depth. Then put the seed in, cover it gently with soil. Put a bit of water in your pot so the earth is gently moist, and then.....wait and have patience. Seeds germinate this way too and you wouldnt damage the root....greetz

I'm using regular potting mix as the soil medium,  check the picture I've attached. It's just been like that since I've placed it in the soil. 

IMG_20200823_081344.jpg

looks ok so far...in a few days seed should open more and leaves come out......you can help the plant drop the shell once it is opened more......for germination you should use soil wich is not fertilized, because the young root would "burn" from that and then tha plant may die. It can happen that the first two leaves wouldnt drop the shell, but actually this is not a problem. But once you clearly see the two, you can carefully get rid off the shell. 

As well you should now use 24 or several 24 watt tubes that allow you to go very close to the plant. I go like 2cm neat the top to avoid the plant from growing very high. Having the lightsource "far" away will cause the plant to shoot up high very fast, which results in a plant that would need to be supported by wooden sticks or whatever. Besides, once you change the pot, you would have to plant the lady very deep because of it. Since hemp is a herb that has roots growing in depth, not width, this is not ideal.

Since when you put the seed into the soil?? You could never say how fast a plant develops, because every seed is in a way unique. But it shouldnt take too long. Just be patient and observe.  How do you plan to grow your plant...indoors?? Your name sounds like you are from northern europe, buy maybe a prejudice;) If you are from where I guess, outdoors would make no more sense....As you are using autoflower seed you should give it 24/7 of light, because the plant will start to bloom after certain ammount of dates. This will increase the yield. 

I'm located in India. Doing an outdoor grow in my balcony. Well as I've already mentioned this is my first autoflower, it's almost 2 weeks and the seedling has been the same. No growth or signs of the seedling opening up. I'm not using fertilized soil right now, this is just regular potting mix I've picked up from a local nursery. I've already kept a super soil mix ready for later on. I've also told greenhouse seed comp about the issue with this seed and they're sending me a replacement.  Only thing I can do now is water the soil every couple of days and see what happens. 

maybe to much moisture ??? if its too wet the root will rot and it has no need to get deeper and bigger because of the easy access to water ( we call it "lazy roots ")

all the best to ya valhalla !!:clapping: is it possible to peel off the outer layer of the sprout ?? the dark head 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Heyo!
Just a couple hints.

I've had my share of dead seeds, and this unfortunately looks like one.
It may be able to pop the ground, but not be able to remove the casing by itself.
When this happens, try to very carefully remove the casing yourself. I usually try to pull it, and if it's not coming out i'll just throw the seed away.

Another hint, when sowing your seed, be sure you're using a media that holds little to no nutrients. In the first stages (Germination, seedling) the plant is trying to establish its roots in the pot. If it encounters a high amount of nutrients, you might stunt it/burn it/kill it. 
I prevent this by flushing the media under a shower hose, for at least 10-15 minutes. This removes most of the extra not-needed nutrients.

Lastly, try not to water too much your germinating plant. Instead, try using a spray, and spray some water on the leaves when it's in its night cycle. If you do it during the day, the water drops on the leaf surface may cause burns.

This said... welcome to the Forum!