First try for indoor grow

lickthecarpet

This is my first try to grow indoors after some succesfull outdoor years. Nothing wrong with the outdoors but I wanted to try the controlled conditions of the grow room which means that you can grow throughout the year plus the ability to control the life circle of your plants. I chose soil as a madium since this is what I have been using untill now and is by far the simplest and time proven means of cultivation. For a light source I got myself a 240 watt full spectrum LED panel from viparspectra because of good reviews and availability in my region.. At this point I have to say I was surprised at the quality of the device. The frame where it is hung from is 2.5 mm steel with what I suppose is electrostatic coating and the heatsink and control box are casted from some heat conducting light metal (probably alu). Since Im a welding technitian and machinist I know my metallurgy. Besides anyone can recocnise a well made thing..  I planted six skunk1 seeds and after a couple of days actuallu 4  I have 4 seedlings and one more abt to pop out. The light is hanging abt 60cm over them and temp goes around 30c. One light will not be enough fi all of them make it to the end so at least 2 of them will eventually be planted outdoors and maybe tis way I can make a better comparison. It is 9 feb 21 and it is day 4AG (after germination)

MTS_0479.JPG

MTS_0476.JPG

MTS_0475.JPG

MTS_0470.JPG

• Like 4

Hi 

Welcome to forum, indoor is always interesting.

The light is a little closer, starting to stretch.  

240 watt is not enough for full flowering of 4 plants. LED is a very good choice. 👍

Do not overmoisten the soil, now it is stress for them.

I did not see perlite or vermiculite in the soil, only that it resembled coconut fiber. There should be more oxygen in the soil.

Thank you for sharing your gerls) 😇🤭🤭 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:18 PM, Godess_T said:

Hi 

Welcome to forum, indoor is always interesting.

The light is a little closer, starting to stretch.  

240 watt is not enough for full flowering of 4 plants. LED is a very good choice. 👍

Do not overmoisten the soil, now it is stress for them.

I did not see perlite or vermiculite in the soil, only that it resembled coconut fiber. There should be more oxygen in the soil.

Thank you for sharing your gerls) 😇🤭🤭 

Hi

thank you for the interest. Yes I noticed they are stretching so I moved them closer to the light, now they are 25cm close to the panel.  I regulate the tem with a small pc blower hooked to my motorcycle's batery to 29-30C. A bit to the warm side but I think they can take it. Problem is when the lights are off it goes under 20C. As for soil for my nurseries I use a mix of coco fiber compost and litlle light turf and something like5% perlite. And  I just mist it with 5% lemon water for a PH of 6. For now I watch them closely to prevent accidents. I shall post pics later. Tnx dor the input

They are allmost 2 weeks old now and I have the first problems. 2 of the babies bend the leaves downwards and have what I would describe as discolorations. Usually I would say that they are overwatered and try to ''dry themselves'' but I read that baby plants do the same when they are overwatered. (water problems are improbable since I am very carefull. I have moved the light to a distance where they stoped stretching and surface temp is 24-26. Might that be because of the low humidity? If they were full plants I would say its a feeding thingy. But whatever it is why 2 out ou the 6 seedlings? Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated

M

Yep they definitely need larger pots. They were all root bound. After just 15 days in the soil!!!!!  By my books it means really good efficiency of lighting and technique. Last years outdoors grow didnt heve that large a root system untill after the 3d leaf node had grown. On the other hand the delay to adress the problem by the grower's side (that would be yours trully) might have damage the grow potential but time will show how much the babies were stressed.  I repotted them in 1lt pots and put them in a warm dark cupboard to overnight. That means that sooner or later they will have to be repotted but untill i can get my hands on some 15-20lt potting bags the small pots will have to do.

MTS_0558.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I said, this is a problem with the PH level.

the elements are blocked and the plant is not getting what it needs. By adding unnecessary elements, you exacerbate the problem.

Measure the PH level in your irrigation water.

And you started giving fertilizers very early, even foliar feeding. She is there in the ground with the head of food.

PH straight out of the faucet is a straight 7. With a a couple of lemon juice drops I make a PH of abt 6.5 for watering. soil mix PH was 6.5 before planting.. Besides I dont water them nor Do i feed them that often. I got another 5 pak of seeds today but  Im not giving up on these ones without a fight.

Looking at the image the first true leaves and the first set have dry tips but the new growth looks OK, if the dirt is too dry this can cause nutrient burn.

I would just give them water as long as the new growth stays healthy they should be OK.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, Godess_T said:

As I said, this is a problem with the PH level.

the elements are blocked and the plant is not getting what it needs. By adding unnecessary elements, you exacerbate the problem.

Measure the PH level in your irrigation water.

And you started giving fertilizers very early, even foliar feeding. She is there in the ground with the head of food.

Definitely this ^
AND, if i may add...
Could i ask you which media are you using?
Some soils are called "hot" because they're impregnated with fertilizers. 
My very first grow had such a soil, and i burned 4 branches that would've gotten into full colas. The plant recovered and grew with a main cola and a poor set of colas below.

Before messing with PH and having to wait 3, 4 days for the next watering (and see progress), i would FLUSH the fuck out of those pots.
If they're 1 Liter pots, give them 8 Liters of water (with corrected PH, which needs to stand between 6.0 and 7.0 (preferrably between 6 and 6.5)).
THEN work with PH after the Corrected PH Flush. If possible, get yourself a PH pen from Amazon. They're cheap and work nice.
After you flushed them, be sure to keep a temperature between 22 and 26°. Below that (18-22°) you might develop fungi and above that (27 and on) you could get heat stress, other than pest contamination and succesful reproduction.

Yes, PH is a Bitch. But Soil can be very rewarding. 
Stay strong. Peace!

On 3/3/2021 at 4:54 PM, lickthecarpet said:

PH straight out of the faucet is a straight 7. With a a couple of lemon juice drops I make a PH of abt 6.5 for watering. soil mix PH was 6.5 before planting.. Besides I dont water them nor Do i feed them that often. I got another 5 pak of seeds today but  Im not giving up on these ones without a fight.

On this note, do NOT use lemon juice drops or whatever bullshit you read online. Get yourself a PH corrector, right now.
Reason being that Lemon juice breaks down after a few minutes. Same goes with human pee (30 minutes and the ammonia breaks down).
Get yourself Hydroponic PH correctors. Again, they're cheap and do their job.

I use those: Amazon.com: GH General Hydroponics pH Up and pH Down 1 Quart Combo Kit Water Adjuster Buffer: Industrial & Scientific
And a PH Pen: Amazon.com: VIVOSUN PH Meter Digital PH Tester Pen for Water: Garden & Outdoor (my pen is an older version without full decimals).

Be safe out there. Peace!

• 2 weeks later...

MTS_0625.thumb.JPG.77300720ffd33c61f3e3146fe9be2d63.JPG    Yep repotting does miracles. I put them in 50 lt of what would be a domestic copy of the smartpot bags filed with a mix of 35% perlite 35% coco fibers and 30% compost. To the ones that will go outdoors I added a couple of cups of thin vermiculite towards the deep end of the bags for a little more water retention because summers in Greece tend to be on the hot side of the chart and for that mater I realised that the choice of the seed was wrong since skunk n1 needs more temperate climate to thrive. Soil and water PH are 6,5 amended with an agent my cousins use in commercial agriculture (saltrad)  the lemon juice was just what I had handy at the time because of the covid lockdown and courier services are overstressed and take weeks. For my previus grows I used photo printing stoping bath as PH-down agent. I strugled a little with temperature contro but I manage to have 26-26C with the lights on and 20-22C with the lights off. I have to say the girls dont seem to like it over 30C. Humidity is 30-40% but I have seen it go as low as 25. That is not a suitable environment to fungi et.al but I think it might be a little dry. What do you guys say? I think I will let them get a little height and then prune the lower leaves

• Like 1