Bonsai

The Journeystarter is about to start a new journey xD

Its about bonsai, i fell across this some years back. Tried doing it to an apple tree, which worked, but it died in a storm.

Then i started seeing people do this amazing technique on this lovely plant.

Ive kinda done it before, but i have never trained plants as much, as i plan to do now.

The Technique, as i understand it:

Ive seen people do this differently, but biggest chance was in, if they grew the plants before they "bonsaied" it.

Some grow they're plants in regular containers into the desireable size, and then start chopping back roots and shoots.

This will stress the plant a whole lot, but will leave you with a bigger plant.

Others plant they're clone or seed directly into the bonsai pot. This will not be streesing the plant, but will leave you with many taproots that will fill up to much space.

Remember that we only want feeder-roots.

Iam not sure about which way i will go on this, but i already got some plants in the bonsai pots. So the next batch, maybe ill grow before i plant them in bonsai pots.

Cutting shoots.

This is easily done the same way as cloning. You snip off the tip of a branch (maybe clone), this will mean that the roots dont need to supply as much water to the gone stem+leaves. Most people also cut off many leaves. This I will try and avoid, because alot of nutrients, water and photosynthesis is stored in thoose leaves, and with out, the plant will die.

Cutting Roots.

I think I will do this when repotting and twice a year, maybe more.

The idea is to cut back the roots, why? Iam not totally sure, but i guess that this will make room for new roots.

And maybe the continual growth of new roots is healthy for the plant? Thats what i think xD

But according to the size of the pots, Ill cut of ½" off each side of the roots ball, square. Also the bottom will be cut, around 1" is better at the bottom, if the pot is not too flat.

Then back in the pot with new soil all around.

Feed.

I think i will try and feed them heavily in the begining, to get some vigorous growth and fat stem.

Then lower feeding, and only feed with Alg A Mic, Epsom Salt and that kind of micro nutes.

I think i will feed once a week with 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended solution.

All this typing is mostly so Ill remember it , But also so you can see what iam doing xD

First off we have a Great White Shark. This is a clone of my old Amsterdam patch. Its been rejuvenating, which as caused it to become very bushy with short internodes and twisted leaves.

Iam seeing a clearing of the leaves in the new shoots :) she is 10cm tall with 3 main branches, will get side shoot one day, so you can see xD

IMG_0611.jpg

Iam trying to do the famous "Over the Rock" which means that i have a rock ontop of the soil, and then iam growing the plant untop of the rock.

The roots should then slide down the sides of the rock and into the soil.

What I did was first to get Her out of Her old pot. Then washed the roots off dirt.

I prepared the pot with fine soil, airerated soil is good for bonsai.

Then place the rock ontop.

Then I took the plant, placed it ontop of the stone with roots into the soil beneath. I then totally covered the rock and roots with soil, that i mist every day to keep moist.

Heres a guy who has got a maple thread, where he does "Over the Rock", scroll down the page xD

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATApproachGraftingRoots.htm

Next, and only at the moment is the Hawaiian Snow. I decided to keep this for bonsai, because its been through so much. It died along with all its clones after ive been growing it for some time. And then one day i woke up to see this one clone alive. And now i think shes a keeper. (Btw, her sister clone is rooting and Arjans Strawberry Haze got roots to).

IMG_0612.jpg

Shes about 8cm tall and growing in soil with clay pellets. And also shes got decorative stones ontop xD

Shes got 3 leaves at the moment, and iam gonna top her very soon to get some more branches for clones.

Maybe i forgot to say? all bonsai's will be used as mothers once in a while when i fell like it.

Thats it for now.... iam currently growing Super Critical, Moby Dick, Arjans Haze #3, Arjans Strawberry Haze and Exodus Cheese. I will try and clone them all and do some bonsai with them to. Also in the summer, I will move them out xD

• 2 weeks later...

hey sliver1.this mom is about two years old.she lived in 0.5L pot about a year sexy.png now its in 2L pot - i keep this plant cause its very strong weed.we grow another few plants of this strain - but the buds from this one was the strongest tired.png so i love this mom tongue.png

peace wink.png