Himalaya Gold, outdoors

hexx

Yep, that's right, I chose Himalaya Gold this year. Gonna grow two on the balcony and one in a friend's garden, near the water. Germination started last Sunday (March 6) and here's one of the little Ladies up close, this morning. Sorry for the blurriness of the pic - that ancient iPhone of mine ain't that good in doing close-ups.

20110314-152338.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, my friend. I've got good hopes for them - they're on the windowsill now, catching the early rays of Sun, and already showin a great lust for life. So by the time they go outside on the balcony, in May, they'll surely be standing firm. Gonna put them on a table this year, so they won't be in the shade in the early stages. Also, growing two instead of three will give them more chance of catching the sunrays.

Looking forward to see how the HImalaya Gold will grow. From what I saw on the website, it could very well be interesting (to0 say the least). Last year's crop (the Church) turned out real fine - gotta love them GreenHouse seeds.

The thing is, newly sprouted seeds get sort of, ehm, sprouty after a while. So long and thin that I start fearing they’ll bend under the weight of the leaves. That’s why I’ve put the Ladies in larger pots, with plenty of room to develop good strong roots.

I did of course leave them in their sprouting pots: it ain’t no good to mess with the tender roots they’ve already developed and the sprouting pots are made of organic material so they’ll dissolve over time.

On a sidenote: it does seem like this year’s crop is developing faster than the one I grew last year. Could very well be that giving them a natural light cycle from day 1 on, is much better than using artificial light. And as y'all know, I like to grow the Herb as naturally as possible.

Hey hexx!

Altough I now have a tent, I always growned on my terrace, just like you but I moved the plants inside to raise the photoperiods with inside lighting wen needed that.

About the stretching you just need to place a small stick while they are young seedlings, side next to the stem and tie them gently to that stick, a tootpick works just fine, keep it there until the stem gets stronger after 3 4 weeks max. Also use a fan just to blow some air to the seedlings so they develop a stronger stem faster.

Take care

Yeah, I've seen pics of your indoor setup - looks real sweet! And rest assured the fan will be in place in a week or so, to give the little Ladies some exercise before they go outdoors in the second half of May.

I only have my indoor setup for a few weeks from now, so now that I have it it's the main place of growing for me, but anytime I have hot sun outside I will move them to the terrace.

Before the tent I only used the inside of my house to protect them from the cold or rain and to give them more hours of light, I placed a cfl 125w double spec as the main light in my kitchen (instead of a normal household bulb) and placing the plants there, as I said just to protect them or to give them more hours of light after the daylight was over, not to grow them, just to raise photoperiod, everything close to natural ;)

check this: http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

Daylight Hours Explorer

Shows the hours of daylight received during the year for an observer at a given latitude. This is an important factor contributing to the seasons.

Usage Instructions

Running this animation on your computer...

1. right-click to download daylighthoursexplorer.swf and daylighthoursexplorer.html to the same directory
  2. open the html file in a browser to run the animation

Just check your latitude at google earth for example first and thats it, start using it! very useful for me for outdoor growing, hope you like it!

Take care

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

180411.jpg

With some very nice Spring days ahead, the time has come to get the little Ladies accustomed to the outdoor life. So as long as the day- and night-temperatures stay like this, they’ll be out there 24/7 – growing stronger and stronger in the light of Sun and Moon. I'll be taking care of the three to the right of the pic myself, all the others are gonna find a home at various friend's places.

20110426-174025.jpg

And so it begins. The firstborn and her sister in their new home: a 40 liter pot each, the soil spiced with ceramic hydro-balls. They’ll be up on an improvised table at first, so they won’t have to stretch for light at this early stage. It just might help them to develop into nice bushy plants.

The young Lady in the small pot will be moving to the Great Outdoors soon.

• 2 weeks later...

20110514-142430.jpg

Three weeks after moving them outside, the Ladies are standing 50 cm tall with branches forming quite nicely indeed. And all of this beauty started with a tiny seed - pretty miraculous, come to think of it.

My friend's garden is at the waterside. Today, I went over there to dig me a hole. After filling it up with 40 liters of potting soil, the time had come to give little Lady #3 her new home. The roots have developed quite nicely over the past months, so she should be doing fine once she’s settled in.

20110522-161023.jpg

And there she is, well nourished with a bucket full of water, spiced with organic nutrients, and ready for a splendid Summer. Jah bless.

20110522-161204.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, it’s been 10 days since the last update from the balcony plantation and the little Ladies will soon not be that little anymore: they’re growing approximately an inch a day, so it seems.

20110525-190556.jpg