EC question...?

Hello

Excuse my stupid question but i'm new in growing and i need a tip. I know the EC measures the electrical conductivity. But i don't know how to keep EC level from certain level to a certain level for example from 1.6 to 1.8.... Is this the EC of the water with the nutrients or the EC of the soil? All tips on EC are welcome 'cause i still dont know how to handle it...

An EC meter (Electrical Conductivity) also know as PPM (Parts Per Million) and CF (Conductivity Factor) meters basically measure the total level of disolved solids. i.e. nutrients, salts or impurities in the water. The higher the number the more solids are dissolved in the water. See conversion chart below...

CF Value PPM Value EC Value
0 0 0.0
1 70 0.1
2 140 0.2
3 210 0.3
4 280 0.4
5 350 0.5
6 420 0.6
7 490 0.7
8 560 0.8
9 630 0.9
10 700 1.0
11 770 1.1
12 840 1.2
13 910 1.3
14 980 1.4
15 1050 1.5
16 1120 1.6
17 1190 1.7
18 1260 1.8
19 1330 1.9
20 1400 2.0
21 1470 2.1
22 1540 2.2
23 1610 2.3
24 1680 2.4
25 1750 2.5
26 1820 2.6
27 1890 2.7
28 1960 2.8
29 2030 2.9
30 2100 3.0
31 2170 3.1
32 2240 3.2
33 2310 3.3
34 2380 3.4
35 2450 3.5
36 2520 3.6
37 2590 3.7
38 2660 3.8
39 2730 3.9
40 2800 4.0
41 2870 4.1
42 2940 4.2

Most tap water ranges from 2CF in "soft" water areas up to 8CF in very "hard" water areas. These salts are basically useless as they are what some people call dead salts, basically contaminants with no use to the plant e.g. chlorine etc Anyways I would suggest you buy a good book if you are new to growing, amazon has a wide range of good books available. Buy 1 that is intended for beginers or an introduction to growing as some books can be a little to full on for beginners!

But to answer your question for now, following the instructions on your nutrients is the nest way to go for now. If your plants are seedling size up to 6 inches feed at quater strength, 6 to 12 inches half strength, full strength from then upwards!

As there seems to be a need I will write a step by step photo guide to using CF and EC meters in the next few days. Untill then feel free to ask questions we will all help you if we can!

Ares

thanks ares if you do this will be great! i've been educating myself from internet and videos... its hard in my country to order a marijuana growing book ... but from what i've seen on the internet and the videos this EC thing and the exact quantity of nutrients given to the plants seems the hardest work, here is the schedule i was going to apply my plants with the Hesi nutrients:

http://www.exoticgarden.eu/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Hesi_Starterbox__491e932d6b526.jpg

pre-grow stage: in 30 liters of water - 150ml Root Complex + 7drops Super Vit

-give 200ml water to each plant every day

flowering stage: in 50 liters of water - Bloom Complex + Super Vit

-first 2 weeks of flowering give 200ml of water each plant every second day

-week 3 of flowering give 300ml of water each plant every second day

-week 4 - 5 - 6 and 7 of flowering (add Phosphor Complex to the Bloom Complex and the Super Vit) give 400ml of water each plant every second day

-week 8 of flowering water the plants only with pure water

i will be happy on any suggestions :-)

No problem buddy, if you where growing in hydro I would have suggested the book Hydroponics: Indoor Horticulture by Jeffrey Winterborne.It has no mention of marijuana in it but covers all the fundimental techniques. It is still very useful even if your not doing hydro as it covers cloning, bugs, diseases etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponics-Indoor-Horticulture-Jeffrey-Winterborne/dp/0955011205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265195627&sr=8-1

i think i will handle these things, i've been watching the dvd of jorje servantes: ultimate grow and these problems are very well described there, but this EC thing and the quantity of the nutrients and watering is something i couldn't understand anywhere.... what is your opinion for the schedule i posted earlyer?

Guest superbluehaze

With nutrients it is best to stay on the low side and watch your plants. If you need to gve them more thy will tell you. If the tip of the leaves goes brown, back off on the nutrients. Also, roots need air to thrive, best yiour plants go through a wet and dry cycle. put your finger in the soil, if it feels dry about 2 inches down, then water. best to under water than over water, as if the roots are too wet, they are attacked by root fungus and die. If the plants are under watered they will wilt, but this does not hurt them too much if you watch them closely and water at first sign of wilting. Watch the leaves, if they are outstreached searching for the light. your plants are very happy, if the leaves droop, then to it could be too much water, or not enough. Trail and error, and you will find your way, but watch carefully how much you feed them, best to always be a little under than a little over. If your nurietnt is a hydro one, follow directions, but make it just a little weaker, If not, and it is for using outdoors, be very careful, make it about one quarter strength and see how thy go.

happy growing, mate

yo!

look homeboy, if on the nutrients botle says give 12ml nutes on 10l of water,than the half strenght is dosage of 6ml nutes on 10l water! quarter is a 4ml of nutes on 10l water!

iplayazcharacter.jpg

the best nutes 4soil are hesi & biobizz & advanced nutrients!

Guest superbluehaze

There is not much to them, a EC meter. Except, do not make the mistake I did - i brought a new one and being short of funds, I skimp on the price. It almost cost me my plants. Buy a good one; "bluelab truncheon" are very good, and reliable. They are made in New Zealand. You just put them in the solution, and a light flashes, telling you the strength of the solution. The bluelab EC, also comes with very good instructions. Watch you Ph too, especially the ph of your soil. Do not water every day, let the root go through a wet and dry cycle. You have to take the plunge sometime, and a lot of this can only be learnt through actually doing it. Also make sure you have good ventilation, and the right temperature range for them to thrive. Nutrients are only a small part of raising strong, potent plants. Other things are just as important. Balance is the key

good luck and happy growing

i'm just trying to understand how to keep EC level for example from 1.6 to 1.8...lets see if i got it right.... if i add to the water "half strenght" of the nutrients the EC will be lower for example 1.0 or 1.2 and when i rise the nutrient concentration to "full strenght" the EC will rise to 1.6 or 1.8....?

Guest superbluehaze

I make my nutrient up according to the directions on the bottle; I let the water sit for a few days, and run air bubbles through it. I then put the nutrient into the water, stir and test with the EC meter; If I wish to have it weaker I put in more water slowly until I have the desired EC; if the EC is too low, which usually does not happen, then I put in more concentrated fertilizer, again slowly and test until you have your desired EC. Use superthrive too; it is great stuff.(vitamins for plants). Do not forget to check your ph, of both your nutrient and soil(they work together). I hope this helps if not let me know,

happy growing, mate

Guest superbluehaze

Sorry, yes, the nutirient, if it is made up half strength, will have a lower EC that if it is made up at full strength.

all the best

Guest superbluehaze

If you are going to use organic nutrients, an EC meter may be of no use, as it only measures dissolved salts, and not suspended solids. Here is a great article from a horticultural magazine:

http://issuu.com/maximum-yield/docs/my_aus_janfeb_10?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed

the EC article is on page 34

all the best with it, and happy growing.