how can i reduce the noise from etractor fan

sacredgreg

will acoustic ducting make any difference to the noise of my extractor fan, as at the minute it sounds like i have a plane taxiing into my room, i currently have just the foil aluminium ducting, also its quite a big fan for a smallish room, its pulling 495 cfm. i worked out my room to be 96 cubic feet.

any ideas greatly received

cheers

greglightbulb.gif

you can build or buy a "box" for your extractor.

It's a box made with wood and isolated for the sound with a special , it will reduce the noise i guess ^^

This one is not in wood but you see the goal ^^

sonobox-winflex_2.gif

This one is a winflex if you wanna buy it ;)

Good luck ;)

cheers guys i think like rhino says, it may be the motor making more of the noise but the ducting is possibly as noisy, so i might get acoustic ducting and maybe construct some form of box.

its probably just me worrying a bit about the noise as my wife reckons she cant hear it in the other rooms in the house.

Guest superbluehaze

the insulated ducting does reduce the sound of the air moving through the ducting, quite a lot.

I use insulated ducting;

use all the methods mention here by us all only with exhaust fans that have an inbuilt safety switch that turns the fan off it gets too hot.

If your exhaust fan does not have this safety switch then it can cause a fire;

and many grow rooms have been discovered by the fire brigard when they tended the fire.

a fire caused by the exhaust fan over heating and bursting into flame;

also if you use a speed control on your exhaust fan never have it start up at the beginning of the cycle turned down.

the fan must start at full speed, or else it can stall and without the switch will over heat and it may cause a fire.

a wooden box filled with rockwool works well;

I wrapped my exhaust fan in blankets, and that works really well.

the idea is that you have to deaden the sound through some sort of insulation.

all these methods work really well;

With the insulated ducting I have to check to see if my exhaust fan is on most of the time as it is almost silent, or any noise it makes is well below city background noise.

I have a large room and use a 250cm can fan.

all the best,

john

to be honest john, i dont worry about it as much in the day, it is in the middle of the night i can hear it more, say if i go toilet in the night, i can just hear it i worry more about my neighbour going in his loft then he may hear it.

im just probably being over cautious but in this game it is always better to keep thinking about reducing the risk of detection.

as it only takes one nosy person to ruin things.

so any risks i can reduce is always a bonus.

once again your input is gratefully received i see now why you have the grow guru badge and it is most deservedthumbs_up.gif