Reflectors----Good ones/bad ones...what the difference?

lafenchellz

Currently flowering in my 3rd grow. I have a 600Watt Switchable Balast...it came with a basic reflector. I want to upgrade to something better. I don't really understand that difference in all the ones available. What are the best materials used to get the maximum light back to the plant. Boxed or Rounded?

Any help will be appreciated.

Stay HIGH

Check Adjust a Wing. Ask Syn he is using it and he is very happy about it. When i get more $ i go for it also. Perfored aluminium is best so far cause it spread light not concentrate on one point witch can cause plant burn. Parabolic, like umbrella ones also are good ones.

Guest delicious

wings.jpg

1: ''parabolic reflector '' is good for large areas ..except this WASTE of money and light ... in this reflector the lamp at vertical position ...there will be a blind point right under the lamp ...i think clear enough ..

2: '' wing like '' reflectors are ok for all the areas but still not good to use it for a small area ..since the lamp hangs in horizonal position . ..there is no blind point under it but when we combine deepness of the lamp in the reflector ....and wideness of the wings it tells me that ..still there are some wasted light for a small area ...

3:we all know how far can go the lights from cars reflectors ....because when the reflector is like a box shape than the light gets concantrated and gets more efficient ....Box reflectors are great for small areas ...and works great for long distance compeir to parabolic and wing reflectors ...

if i have done some word mistakes forgive me friend .. and i hope this could be at least helpfull ...

lots of good ideas here,

just thought I would submit some comments that I see from my angle:

- there is usually a cheap option that does the job and investing more will not make any difference.

- I bought a $30 one (big lights ie. 600 watts, $20 for a 400 watt or less) and a horizontal parabolic for $50. Also, I paid the premium prices a friend of mine got good quality for $10-15, it's sheet metal that is made correctly is the idea of the reflector, they give you what you need. The 50$ was advantageous for example for storage purposes, also it was possibly more robust, durable. (could be purchased for less)

- also you can make a choice between horizontal or parabolic, horizontal reflectors spread the light more evenly while vertical reflectors have greater light penetration.

- I read this but not sure : while air cooling might be advantageous some light is apparently lost by the glass itself? But plants can literally touch lights almost? while properly cooling without reflector plants need to be a certain distance away from the bulb. Air cooled is expensive, $100 reflector, $100 for fan, and $10 for ducts, you also need a filter, odor sock $60. all approximate.

- 1 friend of mine is a believer in Adjustawings, if you really believe in it all the power to you, but at this moment I do not feel fully convinced by the technology / product, proper value, all things considered, etc.. Admittingly, I have not looked into the technology but I do not feel sold or intringued by it, I feel there are other priorities to look into, maybe it's the phase of life that I am in. It is certainly a cute gadget, it might do something, it is an expensive technology, which in itself draws suspicion. I do not believe it has become a market standard.

- I liked the drawing that showed how the light dispersement is, that could be excellent tool to help you evaluate the quality of the reflector and your personal needs

- a lot of the other comments that were made were valid and had different takes and different details to offer so it is certainly worthwhile to check out my fellow hunters comments, even listen to the ideas of technologies of Adjust a wings, think critically and explore what really is out there.

best of luck.

Great advice from everyone!

The diagram is very helpful in showing how the light reflects back. I'm working with a small area...a closet. I'm thinking about going with the box b/c i have also heard the example of a cars reflectors as well. I was leaning toward the adjust-a-wing...but, from all the images i've seen of grow opp, i.e. high times magazine and internet sites, i have noticed that more "bigger" opps tend to go with adjust-a-wing type reflectors. B/c my space is smaller, in fact prb too small, i must go with something else and i will be the 1st to say that i'm no expert (Franco).

Has anyone ever used/ heard of/ seen reflectors that utilize mirrors instead of aluminum?

Stay HIGH

Guest superbluehaze

mirrors as Knuckle has said are not good; they cause hot spots;

I have use the adjust-a wing reflectors and they a excellent, but as you are growing in a small space, you may be better off with some form of air cooled reflector;

I have use both and I think the adjust- a wing is better, then the cool tubes, but the cool tubes can to cool the lights, and they are safer too, as the bulb is not directly exposed.

I have seen wheresome say the glass reduces the light by 2% and in different places, others say 10%, but this is compensated for because the light can be very close to the plants.

take care,

john

If your in a closet and summer just about here go with an air cooled. You'll have to add a fan and some tubing but for a small enclosed grow like that you'll need the low temp. You can expect the temp to stay 10 - 15 degrees cooler right off the top. And with a 600 w you have to get closer to the plants to harness all the lumens and with an air cooled you can almost touch the tops without burning them.

The adjust a wing isnt all its cracked out to be.... usually guys doing big room grows that want the spread but they claim like a 7 ft spread which if you have a light meter barely registers. If you have any open reflector in an enclosed small space be prepared for hot temps, stretching, bugs, and nothing but headaches. Unless you have a great source of really cold air blowing directly towards the light and moving around the plants your in for a stressful low yeilding crop.

Maybe some dimensions, methods and more information would be useful to everybody to provide you with advice.

Guest salvador
I have the diamond reflector... is pretty decent, am thinking of investing in a diamond air cooled reflector which has just been released but i have had this reflector since january and has been good

P5280005.JPG

P5280006.JPG

Hi lads! Maybe I'm a cheap guy... but i belive in DIY, and smart solutions... Why would i spend tens, maybe 100s of bucks for all this stuff?? You can make your reflector on your own, for your own purpose out of basicly any material, if covered with that Foylon and that cost like 1-2 $ for a m2! Maybe it takes some time, but why you would not spend it with your plants? we all love to grow! :D Me, personally bended a reflector out of cardboard, and covered that... I spent 1$ on it, it weights basicly nill, i can easily modify it as my plants grow, and it takes no place.... it gives me all i need!!!

Happy growing!