Can other plants pollinate the cannabis plant?

Jimmy

I imagine it has been tested by seedbanks etc, I remember reading an article in Hightimes that was talking about botanists scientists trying to extract the gene or dna of Thc from ganja and add it into other plants, so that you have non cannabis plants that produce Thc. The article must have been 4, 5 years ago and havent heard of it being successful.So I think that if they are going to those lengths to create new plants or ways of harvesting Thc then you musnt be able to breed cannabis with other plants to change shape or phenotype or whatever purpose you would want to do it for.

The closest living relative to Cannabis is Hops (Humulus lupulus). And even thow the sex life of plants is amazing compared to that of animals Cannabis doesn´t hybrid with any plant, not even its closest relative wich would be the number one choice because of its genetic similiarity.

On the other hand, I have read that Grafting is possible between both plants. How this could be usefull I dont know.

The paper I read said they had put a cannabis plant on a Hops roots and it grew and flowered correctly. If I find where I read it Ill post it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Only cannabis pollenates cannabis.

Though this is quite interesting.

Humulus [hops] and Cannabis are the only two genera in the family Cannabinaceae and there are many similarities between hemp (Cannabissativa) and the cultivated hop. The nettle family is also rather less closely related being in the same order, the Urticales. It is possible to produce viable grafts between hops and hemp and it is reported that pollination of hops by hemp, annual nettle (Urtica urens) or perennial nettle (Urtica dioica) stimulates cone development but only abortive embryos are produced. It was reported by Warmke and Davidson (1944) that hop scions grafted onto Cannabis stocks produced cannabinoid resins and this led to interest in the technique as a means of producing such material while avoiding legal restrictions.

So I wonderif we graft hops on to cannabis , will this make a nice hoppy psychoactive beer?

I have also heard that cannabis can be grafted on to hops.

Hops is a vine by nature and could be grown up and over anything, cannabis grafts would not look like normal cannabis growing from the ground up, could this be used to disguise and make weed almost in visible to the sky cops?

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

I have had a cross of hops quite interesting and very sticky and potent.

As far as pollination I am not so sure that the answers on here are correct. I do not believe that the only way to pollinate Cannabis is with Cannabis as I just had a grow pollinated with Tomato plants. I am going to run a sealed test on this theory again however just to prove the hypothesis.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2011 at 8:23 PM, Free_The_World said:

Yea id like to graft a sativa root system onto a Indica plant so that it would be more drought resistant and grow larger.

Correct me guys if I am wrong but this will only produce you an Indicator at the end...

you can try to graft a branch of Sativa into an Indica main plant... you will only grown a Sativa branch on an Indica plant, the graft won't get anything else then life through the grafting process and life. So it is totally possible of course but the benefits or qualities of one don't mix or transfer onto the other one. That's all.

And to answer the obvious first question: " can other plants fertilise Cannabis?" The answer is no, would a cat fertilise a dog? Don'5 think so... same applies with Cannabis. 

Will a Rose be fertilised by a Lilly? Nope sir, it won't happen.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

What is f1?  Can someone show me or tell me were to find the facts that autos can 3 generations out or at all cross pollinate  a hop plant. I might be able to prove science otherwise. It was not hard

On 21.10.2016 at 3:15 PM, Croc said:

Correct me guys if I am wrong but this will only produce you an Indicator at the end...

you can try to graft a branch of Sativa into an Indica main plant... you will only grown a Sativa branch on an Indica plant, the graft won't get anything else then life through the grafting process and life. So it is totally possible of course but the benefits or qualities of one don't mix or transfer onto the other one. That's all.

Tomato gardeners will often use different root stocks from faster, resistant and stronger growing strains and graft the desired strains onto. They even developed robots to make this grafting process!

Another very good example is roses. Almost all roses in gardens are made by grafting some desired strains onto a Rosa multiflora root stock. And actually with roses this graft is transplanted to be below ground completely. In my country we call the bottom half the ground/foundation stem. Often times people want to avoid this ground stem from shooting because these shoots are useless for different reasons, but only have a good root system. It is also done with apples and pears.

But I agree the characteristics of either strains grafted should stay the same. 

• 2 years later...

In my experience, this never leads to good results. Yes, I grew cannabis myself, but for many reasons I've stopped doing it. I figured that it would be much more profitable to buy high quality marijuana from the Canadian store once a week than to try to grow it myself without having the proper skills or knowledge. I tried to do as you suggested, but it didn't work out. For me personally, such a waste of time and effort is not worth it. I've decided that it is better to spend a little more money, but get a product with a much higher quality whenever I want, than to wait and hope that everything goes according to plan.