Growing in the tropics

ngp

Greetings!

I live in the tropics (Lattitude 17N). Weather pattern is as follows:

• Wet season June-September: rain, high humidity, 30o+C
  • "Cool" season October-February: sunny, low humidity, 15-25oC
  • Hot season: sunny, medium humidity, 30o+C
When would be the best time to plant outdoors?

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions!

Hi ngp!

check out this post: http://www.strainhunters.com/portal/content/daylight-hours-explorer

Specifically the Daylight Hours Explorer. Based on that I'd say plant mid-March.

The humidity can be a bitch so be wary of what strains you plant. I have a similair climate and The Church loves it. So will AMS although I've personally never grown that strain.

If you plant in a valley, in the right place, you can use the cool valley air to your advantage and be more adventurous with your strains, just do some reading up on anabatic and katabatic winds and how they relate to valley climates.

Hope it all works out!

Peace.

Stanhope.

Hello Stan,

Thank you for your suggestion! Humm, planting in mid-march, brings flowering in september when it still rains a lot. That could be a problem.
I was thinking of planting Sativas (along the lines of Hawaiian snow/ GH Thai. Arjan #2 or 3) now, taking advantage of the tail end of the rainy season for growth, and harvesting around Feb-March, before the weather gets too hot.

I don't think you'll have a major problem, based on the likely photoperiod, your ladies will only start flowering late september - early october, by the time that they are in full flower you are in your "cool" season so there's not such a big humidity issue.

Don't quote me on this, get a guru to confirm, but I don't think you will be able to harvest Feb-March because of the photperiod, your ladies will see that 12 hours of darkness around October and start the flowering process, even a long 12 week flowering period leaves you at a harvest date around Jan. But thats no problem! Its a wonderful way to see in the new year!

Hope it all works out, are you going to plant next year or now? I reckon you could do it now, but your girls won't get much of a chance to grow into trees before they start flowering....

;-) Peace!

Stanhope.

Yep, I'm starting tomorrow (full moon monday) with local strain. I'll keep you updated on the progress. Next year, I'll start properly in March/April with GH seeds and local strain, and see how the different girls develop!

Thank you for the follow-up!