Bubbler DWC tutorial - PART 17

lamsbread

Bubbler DWC Tutorial - Part 17

This tutorial has been copied and pasted from 420magazine.com

2009_Grow_0151.jpg

In this pic, you can see all 3 of the Peacock Feather or Foxtail buds. They were very freaky looking to me. They are not desirable, but they are freaky to look at.

2009_Grow_0171.jpg

Many growers say you can not get this with 100% CFLs or get a pound of buds from a closet grow either. LOL, they just don't know.

I got a very deep box, but it was not deep enough for those 24 to 29 inch long ones.

2009_Grow_0181.jpg

This grow started as 15 seeds that were not feminized. 3 were a Big Skunk Strain, and 12 were Northern Lights. After Sexing, I had 2 Skunks and 7 N/L plants, that Vegged 5 weeks to the day. In a 5 gallon bucket, I had one giant Skunk that gave me 5 1/2 ounces and one runt that I did not weigh, it was so puny. There was a little less than 1/4 ounce from the runt, my hleper told me later. I let my helper have it to take home and dry.
I gave away all the sickly runts that were shaded by the bigger plants to my two helpers to take home and dry. I did not count the runt weight in my harvest weight.
In both tanks of N/Ls, I had a giant, a medium, and a runt.

Total yield that I kept was 18 and 1/7 ounces of dried manicured buds. I also got 4 gallon baggies very full of trim leaves, and 2 extra large shoe boxes full of fan leaves.

This is my 8th and strangest grow I've done. I have many different varied HIGHS and many different TASTES from this crop. Much more different than normal or usual.

I am mostly smoking the popcorn buds during the week. I love to smoke a joint over several hours every night, and I normally smoke one alone, but my nice large buds kick my butt so bad, I can't smoke a half joint from the big buds. It gives me anxiety, makes me nervous and my heart races.

I have some buds that smell like honey suckles or sweet flowers and they taste sweet like honey suckles.. I have some buds that smell like cat urine or a skunk's spray. I have some buds that taste like Sugar and some that taste like Sandlewood smells. Some taste like pine sol or turpintine. Just really a lot of different Highs and different tastes.

I dried the very small popcorn buds 3 and 4 days. The humidity was high so some took a 4th day to dry. The small buds the size of my little finger dried in 4 or 5 days. The larger ones 5 or 6 days, and the largest ones 7 or 8 days.
Again, it rained all week so I dried them a day longer than normal or average from my other grows in the past.
AFTER they were dry, I removed the extra stem from the ends and placed them in my wide mouth quart jars. Some I had to cut in half or 3 pieces, to get them into the jars. I sorted them and labeled them by size and strain.

Daily, I opened each jar, smelled them, stirred them and resealed the jar lids.
They call this "burping" them. After one week of curing, I emptied one jar at a time into a stainless steel bowl and weighed them and wrote down the weight of each jar. I burped them daily for 30 days in a row.

Two years ago, on the 30th day of burping jars, I found a moldy smell in one of my jars. I emptied it into a large bowl for a day, and later, a day later, it was OK. I have never lost a jar to mold, but I am extra careful.

I can not stress the importance of proper CURING. Everyday for 30 days, the smell, the taste, and the high improves and gets better.

2009_Grow_0021.jpg

8 jars of Skunk here, I have one more in the family room, and 21 jars of N/L.
I am a rich man!

2009_Grow_0031.jpg

Gallon baggies, two more in the freezer now, chilling.

2009_Grow_0041.jpg

I dry my leaves in open boxes, until they feel dry, 2 or 3 days.

2009_Grow_0051.jpg

I had five full gallon baggies of trim leaves when I finished manicuring and drying them.

I have already processed two bags ONCE for extracting KIEF to make HASH. Those two bags are smaller now since I crumbled them and are now half the size they were.

To me, there are FAN Leaves, the larger lower ones for oil. Then there are the Bud Leaves, those indivdual leaves that project away from the buds on short stems. And there are TRIM leaves, the ones trimmed off the buds when manicuring.
One of my helpers kept throwing the BUD leaves in with the trim leaves when and while we were harvesting. Those Bud leaves and Trim leaves will give me Kief, to make HASH. Kief is removed trichomes, aka resin glands. AFTER the KIEF is pressed and packed into a cake or patty, it is HASH.

It is much safer to DRY until the stems snap, but if you do,
they will be TOO DRY and have less sweet taste. With the moisture, goes the sugars. Too Moist, you get MOLD. TOO DRY, you lose taste.
Please go back and first read the start of this thread.

Bottom line, for a great sweet taste, either Flush them 2 or 3 days before harvest by using ONLY water and no nutes, OR Don't flush and do manicure them very closely, like I do. The chemical, grassy, hay-chlorophyll taste is stored in the leaves and not in the pistils or caylxes or flowers. I don't smoke the leaves, I cut them off.

I dry popcorn buds and fluff buds with NO stems for 3 or 4 days in 40% humidity, in darkness, in 70 to 80 degree temps, with the air constantly moving, but no fan blowing on them, just over them.
I dry small buds on small stems, buds like my smallest finger, with stems like the lead in a pencil, for 4 or 5 days.
I dry my largest colas on thicker stems for 7 or 8 days.
And I save a moist fresh stem to re-moisten the ones that get too dry.
I cure 30 days, opening the air tight jars daily for a fresh breath of air.

My jars smell like honey suckles, like sweet daisys, some smell like sandlewood incense, some like freash ground black pepper mixed with sweet flowers, some like pine sol or turpentine, all smell very sweet and pleasant.

That is it!

I am a rich man, a very blessed man.

Stealth Hydroponics just lowered the price of their kits, but they no longer include the extension cords or surge protectors and they come with adn without lights. If you are a Deep Water Culture, you can use the word Deep Water Culture as a 10% Discount Coupon at their site.
If oyu would like to be a Deep Water Culture ask me how adn what it is all about.
If you need help or advice with your grow, that is why I am here.

• 4 weeks later...