STRAIN HUNTERS LIVE THREAD! - TRINIDAD - St.VINCENT

franco

@ StrainhuntersAdmin: enjoy your holiday bro! Few more days and we'll head back to Europe... I'll miss these islands and the people!!!

@ Rowsdower: it's a lot less charming when you actually meet the mosquitos and the sandflies man. ;-)

@ G Starr: grabba is my favorite tobacco, I always carry a couple of leaves with me when I am in the Caribbean. I'm even rolling blunts with it sometimes...;-)
Chalice is more diffused in Jamaica than where we are now.

;-)

DAY 7

I open my eyes and the first thing I feel is pain in my legs, still stiff from yesterday's walk. I also have a blister on a toe. But there is no reason to complain: the swimming pool is waiting. I get out of bed, roll a quick joint, and I'm outside in the warm morning air. The water in the pool must be 30 degrees, it's like a hot-bath. I jump in, and I enjoy a swim in the morning silence. The sun is rising, and the sky is blu and clear. I look around and marvel at this house. It's surely worth a lot of money, and it's amazingly beautiful. This is a really special treat, never before during a Strain Hunters trip we had such a luxury-accommodation; but this is the perfect way to combine safety, invisibility and to keep the camera-crew (and ourselves) happy. The dirty, stinky guesthouses of Himachal Pradesh are a distant memory….

Everyone else is still in their rooms, waking up. MisterX shows up, and we go online; it's really cool to see how many people are following our threads on the forums. The villa has an excellent wifi network, finally we are able to upload at decent speed without having to use a dodgy connection or a satellite-link. Slowly the whole crew wakes up and crawls out of their rooms, and into the swimming pool. Someone turns on the music, and the atmosphere gets charged. The air fills with the smell of weed, Simon is burning his morning spliff and I take advantage and steal a few puffs before diving back in the swimming pool. By 8 o'clock Gerry and his wife, the staff that takes care of us and the house, are making breakfast; I can smell the coffee and the bacon, and it's a really good feeling. We all sit at the big table and eat like we didn't eat in days. When everyone is done we pack the filming equipment and head down to the beach, where one of our speedboats is waiting. There has been a problem with the engines of the second boat, so we have to do without it for today. We load the gear and point towards the main island, which we reach in about half an hour. The 2x250 hp 2-stroke engines in the back pull some serious speed, the boat is flying. The sea is very calm, and we don't bounce too much. I remember when Arjan and myself were here during the scouting, it was a different story…. we had really rough seas back then.

We smoke some weed, and enjoy the ride. Somewhere along the leeward side of the island we stop to fetch our guides for the day, a group of planters friends of Philip, our boat captain. They guide the boat to a secluded small beach, where approaching with the boat is tricky because of the reef. We disembark quickly and we organize the equipment to be carried. We need to pack a lot of extra-water because walking up steep hills with this heat means that each man needs up to a liter of water per hour. We walk fast, with few stops for filming. We reach the fields before noon; in this part of the island there are several large operations, and we soon realize we are in one of them. The planters cleared an entire mountain-side, a very steep one. They plant local landrace, a Colombian Santa Marta, but during the last 10 years they have been almost constantly crossing it with small batches of Jamaican seeds (which in turn came from Amsterdam and California, ultimately). The result is truly marvelous: 80% of the plants are tall sativas, local landrace, but 20% are showing all kind of influences, to various degrees. We run around like kids in a candy-shop, smelling the buds and rubbing our noses in them. I smell sweet indica scents of kush, and some old skunk, overlapping the typical sativa. Most of the plants just started flowering, but in some sections they are already further, and the resin is starting to make the buds sticky. The local sativas have a typical scent of carrots and celery, a feature we found already several times during this trip. We are sweating a lot, the sun is high on our heads, and we need some shade; we sit in the shanti overlooking the field to rest a bit, then we shoot some scenes for the documentary near a planting-bed where thousands of seedlings have sprouted, forming a lush, thick green carpet. From there, the young plants are transplanted in the field, following a permanent rotation system that allows a constant flow of weed to be produced. After we are done with the seedlings we move on to shoot more scenes in the fields. It's a film-maker paradise, the light and the colors are amazing.

But time is ticking; we have to start the descent, through the thick forest, back to the beach. I am using a GoPro Hero action-camera, and I run down fast, ahead of the rest. When I get to the beach I gained a few minutes, and I have the time to jump in the sea to cool off; the water is amazing, clean and refreshing.

The coast guard is patrolling the area, so our captain keeps his boat out of sight, away from the beach, until he gets my radio-call. Then, at the last moment, he rushes to the beach to pick us up. We board quickly, and we're off, pulling real speed over the water again. We follow the coastline towards the south for about 20 minutes, keeping close, looking at field after field of cannabis, clearly visible on the sides of the mountains. Then we approach the main peer of a village, where we find our two pick-up trucks, and our contacts J. and C. waiting for us. We jump off the boat and onto the trucks, and we drive off to meet a very cool farmer named Blacka. He has lost a huge field, cut down by the police recently, and he agrees to be interviewed for our Strain hunters documentary. Arjan and myself met him a few months ago already and we know he's a real soldier, a true ganja-pirate, and it's great to feature him and his message. We have to move fast because when the sun goes down it gets too dark to film really quickly. We park the cars, and walk into the bush. After few hundred meters we reach the field that was destroyed by the cops just two weeks earlier. It's devastating to see so many dead plants. Blacka meets us there, we smoke some good bud, and we sit to have a chat.

By the time we finish filming it's almost dark. We drive back to the boat, and we're off to the villa. The half an hour boat-ride is awesome: the sky is still purple on the west, and the stars are already showing in the east. Pure poetry of nature.

The sea is still calm, and the boat is flying over the water, bouncing rhythmically. I got a spliff in between my lips. Life is good.

Back at the villa we shower and we relax by the swimming pool, sipping pina-coladas and talking about the fields we saw earlier, and about the great documentary-material we have. Before hitting the dinner table for some fish we smoke some serious amounts of weed, looking at the view over the bay and loving this place. Life is really, really good.

Captain Philip and his boatman Box join us for dinner, and the atmosphere is really lively. We eat a fresh, healthy salad, and then snapper, cooked to perfection and seasoned with local hot-sauce. After dinner the camera crew is busy backing up the material they filmed, while the rest of us take turns at the pool-table (yes, we even have a pool-table…. this place is like a dream).

And bomb after bomb, we smoked almost 25 grams of weed in the last few hours. It's time to go to sleep.

Tomorrow we will have 2 boats available (hopefully) and we will go look for some good spots for landing and approaching more fields.

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

sh702.jpg

sh703.jpg

sh704.jpg

sh706.jpg

sh707.jpg

sh708.jpg

sh709.jpg

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

sh710_0.jpg

sh711.jpg

sh712.jpg

sh713.jpg

sh714.jpg

sh715.jpg

sh716.jpg

sh717.jpg

sh718.jpg

sh719.jpg

IMG_3044.JPG

sh720.jpg

sh721.jpg

sh722.jpg

sh723.jpg

sh724.jpg

sh725.jpg

IMG_3083.JPG

sh726.jpg

sh727.jpg

sh728.jpg

sh729.jpg

sh730.jpg

sh731_0.jpg

sh732.jpg

sh733.jpg

IMG_3099.JPG

sh734.jpg

sh735.jpg

sh736.jpg

sh737.jpg

sh738.jpg

sh739.jpg

sh740.jpg

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

sh744.jpg

sh741.jpg

sh742.jpg

sh743.jpg

IMG_3260.JPG

sh745.jpg

sh746.jpg

sh747.jpg

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

sh748.jpg

sh749.jpg

sh750.jpg

sh751.jpg

sh752.jpg

sh753.jpg

sh754.jpg

sh755.jpg

sh756.jpg

sh757.jpg

sh758.jpg

sh759.jpg

sh760.jpg

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

;-)

Just waking up here, another hot sunny morning ahead.... sky is clear and there is no wind. I can't believe how lucky we are with the weather. This is normally the hurricane season, and it should be raining a lot! Instead we had already several days of sun. Perfect for filming, and damn hot for walking in the bush... but I am loving every bit of it.
Today we should have 2 boats: the plan is to go out at sea and take some good action-shots, then head for some secluded beaches where we can land to access more fields.

But at the moment the only things I really care for are a cold shower, a joint, a cup of coffee, and the swimming pool. Last night I had one too many of those pina-coladas... damn, they were good!

;-)

@ Jimmy: food is great here man, fresh fish, fresh fruits, and amazing juices.... and good chicken, hormone-free, real free-range... ;-)

Thanks Dust! And thanks to all of you for following our reports!

Soon we will be back and the competition will begin.... sign up for it in the special thread!!!

Gotta go now, breakfast is almost ready and I still have to roll a few joints to bring with me for the morning...

Talk to you guys tonight!

Amazing, Truely Amazing!! Brilliant Narration as always and the pics looks awesome, Can't wait for the finished film inc the Hero sequences hehe! the house looked bliss and i agree CRAZY LATS lol all together lookings like a Legendary Experience