MapleLeaf_Flail - Ice Dreams - (5/11/2011) -11/01/12

Flail

Looking good flail.

I have never grown in coco and i was wondering what nutes you are using.

I am also wondering about the structure of your substrate, before you were using a ratio of 50/50 coco/perlite and now you have a ratio of 40/35/25 coco/perlite/clay pebble.

Your plants are looking nice and healthy and not sick or nute locked (as they did with the 50/50 mix) , is this due partly to the addition of the clay pebbles and/or the fact that you have changed to a better quality of coco?

I will be sure to follow through the bloom and watch them nugs grow.

Good luck

Peace Lams

• Like 1

I'm using the same Substrate, the shitty coco block I bought. Due to this recession i couldn't really afford to go get new soil..

so, i killed nearly everything that had the shitty block coco in it, treated the used soil with two applications about 5-6 days apart

of Hygrowzyme, to get rid of some of the dead material.

now you have a ratio of 40/35/25 coco/perlite/clay pebble.

this is very approximate, the rough totals in my medium are roughly as followed

I started out with around 85-95 litres of coco coir that was sifted down to about 60 litres

- a good portion of the LONGER hairs were taken out, any chunks of coir that were larger then clay pellets

- all the filler water absorbing PH fucking wood chips were taken out.

so about 60 litres of fine coco coir ( like course coffee grinds)

about 30 Litres of Perlite

and about the same maybe more in clay pellet (i bought a 50l bag but i haven't refined the clay out all the used soil yet)

so the ratio is prolly closer to 40/30/30.

Looking good flail.

I have never grown in coco and i was wondering what nutes you are using.

I am currently Using Advanced Jungle Juice, the Three part system,

I also use three additives in Veg, I just finished my bottle of Botanicare Cal-mag+

that additive is realistically the second most important feed for me (cal mag supplement not the brand)

Coco coir binds magnesium and or Calcium, or makes it less accessible to the plant

so i need to add the additive to my program, IF using RO and coco coir you must OVER feed

with the Cal-mag a little

Having said that, I will be changing the brand of additive, for something that is Cleated better or has more

calcium in it, my diesels seam to want more calcium.

The second additive I use, is Grotek's Pro-silicate, it is a Silica and potash supplement. Its messy and it raises PH.

this is mainly for stem and leaf health right now, in my experience white family indica can greatly benefit from this additive.

And the last additive i use is they Hygrozyme mentioned earlier, its an enzyme that breaks down dead root material in

the root zone, allowing me to re use my substrate.

the usual EC feeding I reach is usually between the 2.1-2.7 ec, i have horrid base water 0.45 ec to start.

so i need to flush quite often...in RO water the most it reaches is about 2.3 ec.

If you like power feeding, Advanced is the way to go. their mix ratio on the bottle for JUST veg hits 1.9 ec in RO water.

thats higher then what most are comfortable with. with just the base nuits

Your plants are looking nice and healthy and not sick or nute locked (as they did with the 50/50 mix) , is this due partly to the addition of the clay pebbles and/or the fact that you have changed to a better quality of coco?

I think it was the fact that the Coco Coir I bought that has soo much filler in it, while i was refining my coco, I realize I'd need more volume as i kept taking out more filler and more filler.

I also found with my air pots that too much Perlite was able to escape thru the air holds, so that was another reason to add the clay pellet in. its bigger and heavier

so I don't think the health of these plants are attributed to one reason all together.

So in closing, I greatly prefer loose bag coco coir, less filler and less work to refine.

• Like 3

Thanks flail, really useful info!

I have learned alot especially beware cheap coco,if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Good info on the cal/mag when using Reverse Osmosis, I live in a hard water area and of course RO would take out the soluble calcium in the water.I also didn't know about the cal/mag binding properties of coco, definately good to know.

If your having problems with your perlite being too small, it is possible to buy course perlite where the granules are 5-7mm .This is often sold for bonsai and orchids.

Peace to you bro

Lams

Perlite

Basic information about perlite - http://www.perlite.net/ an interesting read.

Course Perlite suppliers - Canada

Here's what you want - http://www.agrogreencanada.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=75

This might be of use - http://www.perlitecanada.com/en/english.html

Corse Perlite suppliers - USA

supplier in US - http://www.tindaraorchids.com/mediums_mixes.htm

http://www.ofe-intl.com/ Look in soil amendments & agregates - Perlite is also called "sponge rock"

Peace Lams

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

these ice dreams are destined for the Ontario Sun, yes they will be going out doors. I will have some chances to take pictures but the plot is a good hour from my place in a car so i won't get out there often.

So continuing my preperations for my outdoor season.

figured i'd give you guys an update

these are my Ice dreams all in two small herds.

they are being feed a veg mix right now of about 1.8-1.9 ec and a ph of 5.8

the tallest 4 or 5 were just topped about a hour before the pictures

lights are now off this is technically day 20 for the first set, day 12 for the second set

and day 7 or 8 for the third set, In veg that is.

first set

post-8915-0-68231000-1336925218.jpg

the rest of the family and another oen in the corner

post-8915-0-87062100-1336925235.jpg

another angle

post-8915-0-53497000-1336925252.jpg

and sets 2 and 3 chillin

post-8915-0-84276900-1336925267.jpg

I do too Franco I do too!

@DKH ya man i'm expecting all 4 of the stupid tall ones to pull in a nice harvest.

I've still not selected a mother to keep, i think i might wait til the last few days before i put the rest of them outside.

I'm not sure how many viable pheno's the Ice dream has but i've seem to have found 2 maybe 3 different phenos

a really strechy vigorous pheno that eats a tonne, and a short stout bushy pheno that seems to be able to tolerate anything but temperature fluctuations.

the bushy ones seem to eat at a normal pace for their size, and the bushy ones smell stronger then the stretchy ones.

At last count there are 24 or 25 Ice dream clones in the vast heard( i'm sitting at about 42 plants total right now)

I've got one last seed that didnt germ in the last run. i'm prolly gunna run that one in a few months and scrog it.

I saw alot of good reactions from these genetics during the mother training it put them all thru.

The White family genes are really apparent in this cross, although they show some stretching that the other whites i've worked with didn't have

they can be treated much the same with great results, keep the temps in a decent range (24-27) and the plants will be happy, I'd be more likely to bloom this strain under MH with some of my other picky sativas (sour D) due to the stretching i experienced with my HPS(i'd leave that to the last 2-4 weeks of bloom)

nice update man, that is some serious outdoor season you are preapring ^^

About the Ice dream genetics i love it too, i've had 3 pheno and from all of them i am sure of one thing the one that indica leaves when she was younger, the one i harvested first was just a KILLER! the taste was amazing, some tropical taste and other aroma, soo sticky, harvested first but with a very nice production compare to the longer ones too.

I noticed too that all the ice dream exept the more sativa pheno turned to 3 bladed leaves during the flowering. and 30g in 80 days was pretty good i think so really can't complain on that strain. Even the Weaker phenotype in the end had a pretty diferent and good taste. i'll do some ice dream again for sure, and i hope you'll like it too ^^

• 4 months later...