drying cannabis hay smell?

Gfarmer

ok i just grew some green o matic i went a week longer then it said on the package and when i cut it down it smelled amazing its been hanging for three days and while its still wet its alot dryer then it was when i started but i noticed it started to smell alittle like hay. i dont want my crop to smell like a barn. it cant be that im drying to quick because i hung the hole plant up to dry it . when i touch the buds the smell is incredible my room stays at just over 70 degrees i dont no what the humidity in my room is. is this normal ?? will curing fix this problem or have i fucked my crop up?

Yeah often on my first crop when i started curing it was smelling grass a few weeks, now i let them hang for about a week, til they are little crispy and not wet, aznd i put them in carton box with hole so air move, and buds covered by paper towel, and i leave them like that another week or two, and then when i put in jars they already smell good and are not too crispy, but be careful to not put them in too hot room.

Good luck ;) and good smoke :D

awesome i was kinda worried. i always wondered why when i go to my med dispensary the cheaper bud sometimes smells like a barn. thank got tho this bud smells amazing when you squeeze it a litte. . really so would putting the bud in a paper bag after drying it for a week make the bud moist again or at least increase the moistness sorta like when you put it in a jar? i live in a rented room so i don't have much space so im living in the dark for a couple weeks on one side of my room i have the heat vent and my closet where my plants are that are still growing and on the other side my bed with the weed hanging on the sealing. my room was hot to dry weed so to counter act this i opened my window near my bed a little but i read that drafts were bad for plants so to help with that i put my curtain down then i duct taped the curtain to the wall i managed to be able to bring the room down to about 71 or 72 degrees and it didn't really effect the temperature in my closet. its crazy i searched all day for an answer to this question on this other forum roll it up and it kept giving out different answers alot of people there were saying if you weed smells like hay you fucked up your grow and i figured that had to be bullshit, but that sites fucked ive gotten aot of bad advice from there .

yes the franco links is very nice ;)

And for the paperbag yes it will increase moistness a very little, of course you have to shack it a little everyday so it moves, the best temps to cure weed is around 19° and make sure there is no direct airblow on the buds or it will dry too fast, And Lol, even if your buds smells grass in the beginning doesn't mean you fucked all your crop lol, well not for me ^^

Have a good dry ;)

yeah bro i agree with dust all the way, also ive found in the past if ive hung the whole plant up i get a hay kinda smell but now i chop all leaf an stem away from the bud to dry ive only ever experienced sweeeet smells bruv

ohh an ps stick with greenhouse the lads wont let ya down here, happy hunting!!!

by the way dust you were right the smell of hay went away and now it smells awesome i even smoked a few nugs and to my supprise they were smooth and i only started curing them im leaving the rest to finnish curing tho for at least 2 months im really happy with my results tho i got about 29 grams or so off one green o matic auto

• 4 weeks later...

i got a whole lot of good stuff which has been dried out in the sun (a african tradtional way i believe) no curing so it smells like hay, unless i put it up to my nose it has a strong sweet smell. its an incredibly strong sativa high, quite long lastting for sativa.

is there anything i could do or make out of it to improve the taste/ flavor?

Hi Tdank, personally when my weed is too dry, i like to put it in plastic freezing bag, like the one you put in freezer for food you know ^^

I take as much air as i can out of the bag once the weed is inside, and let it like that, i like to keep it in my pants pocket at home cause it gets a little warm that way and add a little "humidity" in the bag with condensation, and so i found the smell is stronger and taste is better :)

but's that's only personal statment ^^

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

hey guys

1. cut plants down  trim them (or if u like the trim can be done at a later time)  and hang them somewhere that's about 15.c -18c and is about 40%humidity  and dark,   grow tents are great for this!!! hang them for about 5 days

2 place the buds into brown paper bags this gives the buds a lovely smell and taste I do this for about three days at room temp

3Place buds into mason jars or u can also use Tupperware, air them daily and after a while u will only have to check once a week

4 After a cure of 3 months the buds become superior

tipps if u are drying in a highly humid place then use dehumidifier if it is too dry get a humdifier

the smell can nearly always be corrected

have a great day