Questions

panacea76

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to start my germination this evening!! It's my first attempt and i want to keep everyone in the picture. This is what i got:

10 GHSC Super Lemon Haze

1.2 x 1.2 x 2 Grow tent

8 Pot Wilma (Atami) with 70L reservoir &11L pots

Barn Door Lighting Reflector (Shite i know) with Sunmaster Delux 600w Dual spectrum bulb & ballast

Clay Pebbles

Root Riot Kit & Propogator

Eazi Rolls

Ecotechnics Evolution digital controller

Oscillating Fan

4" Inline fan (haven't fitted yet)

Essential Trident 3 in 1

Ph up/down

Advanced Nutrients Sensi grow/bloom

Prior to starting i have tried to prepare myself. So ihave set everything up. Cleaned all the pebbles and tested everything for their different cycles ie. veg, night, day, flowering.

I have watched the growing video and tried to produce a grow timetable. I have attached it to the post. It's not quite finished yet but i wanted to see what other thought first and ask a few question too :-)

I'll start adding photo's later.

However there is one issue i was having. Humidity. When lights are off humidity is at aroung 68%, which is too high during the flowering time. On the grow video it says that it must be reduced to 30%. I have tried removing the passive air flow vents but it's still too high. Do you think i should get a dehumidifier? Which one?

Also Can anyone suggest an extra Advanced nutrient for the final budding phase?

And... how long will flowering be in a small tent like mine? On the grow video they have theirs flowering for like 9 weeks...

Lastly what should my PPM be for this setup?

Look forward to your comments...

post-10344-0-29621200-1330543112_thumb.j

Update...

At 19:45 i placed 8 seeds in a glass of water. I measured the temperature of the water and it was 19C. The room temperature where they are stored is 21C. I checked them after 15 minutes and they are still floating. I have tried to push them under water but to no avail..

I'm getting worried already and i have only just started!!

Some Pics...

post-10344-0-52648000-1330559776_thumb.j

post-10344-0-87741200-1330559779_thumb.j

Hi panacea, thanks for sharing your setup with us, you look more than ready it's normal in a first a grow to have lots of question, unfortunatly i won't be able to help you much as it's hydro and i'm total noob at hydro lol ^^

Tho i can tell you, your flowering time won't be any longer in your "small" tent as you call it ( not so small i would love to have it ^^ ) Of course it might be 1-2 weeks longer, or shorter in some case, depending on the phenotypes you will get on your girls, but espcially with hydro you shouldn't be much late ;)

About your humidity, do you leave your extractor ON during the night?

for tips on the ventilation check this post, there are others too on the forum :

But your setup looks good man, you should worry much, give them all the love you can and be careful on your ph and ec, it seems to go fast in hydro ^^

So check Daily and you should see, I'm sure some pro hydro grower will help you out if you have any problem ;)

Good luck man ;)

• Like 1

Hi Dust,

Thanks for your reply and taking the time to look through my post.

I haven't tested throughout the night but just simply a pre grow test with lights on for 2 hours and lights off for 2 hours. As you can see from the photos i haven't planted anything yet and still on the germination stage (which isn't going too cushty). However when i tested it the fan was pumping away to full capacity but that didn't make much difference to the humidity...

• Like 1

looks like a nice set up dude!

The lower you get the humidity in your grow room while flowering the better.

less chance of mould, and the plants will produce more resin to "protect themselves"

i''m not sure on this one but i don't think going much below 50% while in bloom would be a good idea

I've never gotten my blooms that low so i won't know exactly.

• Like 1

Very nice setup lol , i think i am needing to upgrade my setup and been liking the look of those tents. What size is that ? and good luck on the first grow , cant go wrong with all the great growers here ;)

Oh and try and bring the heat for those seedling to about 25 , really speeds up that phase. Dont worry tho i had a GHS cheese seed in my last grow take 9 days to pop lol

• Like 1

I soak my seed for 24 hours as it will take time for the water to be absorded through the tough seed casing.

Seeds can also be scarified this is gentle abrasion of the outer seed casing. This can be done by placing a piece of sand paper in the bottom of a match box and shaking ( this method of scarifying is called "scuffing" for obvious reasons).

After lets say12 hours give your seeds a swirl round in the water, often small air bubbles attatch them selves to the seed, keeping them afloat.

After 24 hours all the seed should have sunk to the bottom of the glass.Any seed which have not are most probably imature or non-viable.

I have often had seed pop after a day or so in water (though tougher seed may take 5 days).

If the seeds havent popped whilst soaking, place them between some wetted paper towels in a small container (margerine tub) and cover with cling film.Leave in a warm place.Do not let the paper towels dry out.

This is not everyones method but works for me.

I will also include a section i copied and pasted from seedfairy.com - http://www.seedfairy...ermination.html

How to germinate seeds in soil

Here is a method of germinating cannabis seeds that does not resort to paper towels or plastic bags, and the risk of rot these methods bring.

Place cannabis seeds in a bowl, and fill the bowl with room temperature tap water. Cover the bowl with card or newspaper and place in a cupboard overnight [12 to 15 hours].

Saturate the soil in your prepared pots with water, then create a small circular depression in the center of the pot.

Place each cannabis seed in its own pot, in the center of the depression, pointed tip down.

Cover the soil over the cannabis seed, so that is no more than 0.125 inch to 0.25 inch | 3 mm to 6 mm deep. Repeat with all cannabis seeds.

Leave sown cannabis seeds for six hours in darkness, then switch on your lights and leave them on.

The latest time we used this method, we got 100% germination, and seedlings began erupting from the soil within two days.

All viable cannabis seeds should germinate.

Seed germination in rockwool

Get a jar 500ml | 16oz and fill with distilled water. Than add a 2 to 3 drops of superthrive and shake well.

Get an aquarium pump and put an air stone in the jar to keep the water aerated. Drop in your cannabis seeds.

Check your cannabis seeds every 6 hours for cracking. Viable cannabis seeds will crack within 2 to 3 days at most.

Then Pre-soak the rockwool cubes with 1/4 strength Maxicrop solution. Gently place the cracked cannabis seeds 0.125 inch | 3 mm deep into rockwool cubes. Stick a toothpick in next to cannabis seed hole and gently "lever" toward the cannabis seed to ensure it is in full contact with rockwool.

Place the cubes in a tray and cover it with humidity dome.

Now place the tray under 2 to 4 foot of lights. Remove the dome once the cannabis seeds sprout.

Soil germination problems

You ever wonder why those seeds don’t germinate? Here are some things that might stop your cannabis seeds from germinating in soil!

Too Wet

Cannabis seeds need to be damp, not wet for germination. Excess water prevents oxygen getting to the seed. Poorly drained soils may also cause soil fungus diseases. The condition of wet soils may be improved by adding perlite. which will aerate your soil.

Too Dry

A certain amount of water is essential for germination, so maintaining a constant soil moisture during the germination period is vital, cover containers with glass or glad wrap to prevent you soil drying out.

Too Hot

High temperatures result in excessive soil desiccation and injury to cannabis seeds and seedlings.

Too Cold

Cold temperatures can kill seedlings and prevent germination. Cool temperatures can result in slow, un-even germination, and attack by soil diseases. You may want to start your cannabis seeds indoors, before outplanting. Make sure planting dose not done too early, when it is stll cold and there is a frost hazard.

Planting Too Deep

This will result in delayed emergence. Cannabis seeds may not be able to grow enough to reach the surface on the limited food storage within the cannabis seed. Soil temperature is also lower with depth. Plant your cannabis seed 0.5 inch to 1 inch | 12.5 mm to 25 mm down for best results.

Planting cannabis seeds Too Shallow

If you plant your cannabis seeds to shallow the cannabis seeds can dry out.

Soil Too Firm

Making your soil mix to firm can prevent oxygen getting to your cannabis seeds also drainage is also affected.

Soil Too Loose

Soil which is too loose results in too much air surrounding the cannabis seed, and they will not absorb moisture and will most likely dry out.

Soil fungus

Cannabis seeds may root or seedlings fall over. Overwatering, poor drainage and lack of aeration will increase the likelihood of this occurring. Plant cannabis seeds in sterilized potting mix, and make sure you containers are clean.

Non Viable cannabis seeds

If your cannabis seeds have not been stored correctly they can deteriorate. Look for dark brown cannbis seeds. Avoid and light colored or whitish cannabis seeds as they are not mature.

Peace Lams

• Like 2

You'll see in the end you'll be more worried of having higher humidity for your veg ;)

But a Dehumifiar, can be a good investment for your bloom period if you wish. but i suggest you let it run few weeks before to be sure, no need to go faster than the plant ;)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Well i'm definitely going to get a dehumidifier. I don't want to start flapping and would prefer to be safe than sorry.

Anyway...

Good news all the seeds sunk to the bottom (with a little help)...

Here are some more pics..

post-10344-0-95566200-1330637651_thumb.j

post-10344-0-70212100-1330637662_thumb.j

I mixed 1ml of Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow in 1L of water.

Normal ph was 8.0 and after the mix it was 7.0

Soaked the root riots with about half the solution, drained the excess and i'll use the remainding water solution for keeping moist.

I then planted all the seeds... I also ripped a small corner of the root riot and placed it on top of the seeds..

All the seeds are under my dual spectrum light for 24 hrs.

Temperature is about 27 and humidity is 90%

post-10344-0-98501800-1330971910_thumb.j

Nice going buddy, 100% germination,nice. :D

Sprouting - Cannabis seeds should sprout within a few days; when they do, they must be transferred to the medium with great care when the taproot has come out about 0.25 inch to 0.5 inch | 6 mm to 12.5 mm. We find that a 0.5 inch | 12.5 mm tap root seems to be the best. When it's much shorter, they tend to get shocked and die easier, and if it's much longer, there's more risk of damage.

They are very delicate at this stage; sprouted cannabis seeds can be killed by rough handling, damaging the tap root, or if the soil or medium they're put into has not been properly prepared in advance to the right moisture and temp.

copied and pasted from seedfairy - http://www.seedfairy.com/germination.html

I personally go for 7mm -10mm and works fine for me.

I look forwards to see thier progress, keep those pics coming.

Have a good grow. ;)

Peace

Lams

Yes, i think i may have transplanted them too quickly. I'm hoping that the others will sprout but it's a lesson learnt!

Do you think that the lights should be on 24hrs? What sort of temp and humidity should i look at at this stage (Lights on / lights off)?

Any suggestions? Or do you think everything is ok?

I'm sure they'll be fine, as long as your gentle. ;)

We posted at the same time,by the time i pressed the post key , your next post was up.lol :lol:

They are looking good, all popping up nicely.Looks like your doing fine.

Peace

Lams

nice man, little girls in root riot they should be ok even if some are little longer ;)

Your actual temp and humidity is good for your seedling, be careful not to put the light too close of the girls while they are young they are fragile babies :)

as they will grow you will have to lowell humidity slowly too, 70-80% is good most of the time for the veg. Be careful that you don't go too often, or not at all, to 100% humidity it won't be very good for your plant, they wouldn't be able to breathe correctly.

HAve a good grow man, but they look on the good way ;)

Guest Elias

Hey man, nice setup and nice choice for your first grow!

I'm not the most experience grower in here except maybe when it comes to advance nutrients haha!

The only advice that none those fellow hunter gave you was the one were you asked about bloom boster from advance nutes... Well i had a pretty good experience using both big bud and overdrive. I had kept a plant without any booster (she still received iguana juice and cannazym though ) and the buds were quiet smaller. (btw she still received plenty of light as i try to rotate my plants on a regular basis.)

So based on you strain i would advise you to get both of those booster if you don't ind the price.

Peace!

• Like 2

Hi Ghost_Dog,

Okay, so i'll get Big Bud & Overdrive for the flowering phase... ;)

Here are some new photo's i took of the seedlings yesterday and today.

None of the others have sprouted and the two at the back look a little deformed!!

Since yesterday i placed a piece of cardboard over the top of the plants because i was worried that the 600W dual spectrum bulb may be too much for them. :wacko: Although it is 120cm above the plants..

I have 2 seeds left and i've started germinating them because so far i've had only 50% success rate :-(

Would Green House Seed Company replenish any seeds that do not grow?

Here's some photos from yesterday and today..

post-10344-0-91010000-1331153562_thumb.j

post-10344-0-46637600-1331153565_thumb.j

post-10344-0-09265500-1331153568_thumb.j

post-10344-0-97244400-1331153570_thumb.j

Nice update man thanks :)

For your plants, if the 600w is at 120cm there shouldn't be problems i think ^^ if needed put your lamp higher, or seeds lower.

For the non germinating seeds, gotta be patient, sometimes some are a little longer but most of the time they all popup. I only had 1 seed non germinating in the dozens of GH seeds tested, and it was not in my room it was a seed given to a friend, so i don't know if he did it right.

Perhaps for a 50% germ rate they will offer something, not sure, wait a little more see if they come, if not send a mail to customservice for infos ;)

Guest Ghost_doG

I agree with dust here, i never had such a low rate of germination myself, i'm sure more will pop out. Otherwise you got everything on camera lol so you can put up a case for hte customer service ;)

Good luck with thoose unwilling seeds.

Peace!

So, it's been 10 day since i germinated the seeds.. 2 of them look healthy and the other 2 look like they don't know what to do with themselves..

I also started germinating the 2 remaining seeds. One has gown a root which was about 2cm long in 48 hrs, so she's in the propagator too.

Here are some pics..

post-10344-0-46309800-1331350868_thumb.j

post-10344-0-20220700-1331350872_thumb.j