A glimpse into the future of LED

lamsbread

Cree’s MPL EasyWhite LED packs 24 chips into tiny package, obsoletes binning

February 2, 2010

With Cree’s announcement today of its XLamp MPL EasyWhite LED the company moves another step forward on its quest to eliminate “binning†from the vocabulary of LED lighting application designers.

The XLamp MPL Easy White can provide as much as 1500 lm at 250mA.

This is a best-case number with a pulsed, rather than a constantly-on drive current, but with proper drive electronics and heat sinking, the LED can deliver the light output for a 3000 K, 75-Watt equivalent BR-30 light bulb, while consuming 78% less power than a traditional halogen bulb. (This performance meets the efficacy/lumen requirements for integral LED lamps as defined by the Energy Star program.)

Cree%20MPL%20image_samll.jpg

Note the top-side contacts for the MPL, freeing the LED from a pc-board for mounting. You can mount the MPL directly onto an aluminum heat sink.

Which is impressive, but just as important is how the EasyWhite series frees light application designers from having to worry about matching the color output of multiple LEDs in each light bulb fixture.

Customers like to see a uniform color from lights: Imagine a string of track lights using the familiar PAR-38 bulbs, but with some lights a warm white and some a cool light. Distracting – and ugly.

LED manufacturers have historically had difficulty in holding the LED chips to a uniform color output, and have sorted the chips into different color bins.

Light manufacturers would mix-and match from different bins to get a uniform color, but this approach requires a large inventory of LEDs to meet the production lines need for a variety of bins. Plus, the whole idea of binning is confusing: Traditional light sources requires only two specifications: color temperature and light output. This simplicity of specification and inventory is what Cree is driving at by eliminating or at least reducing the need for binning.

Another problem with traditional multi-chip LED lighting designs is the appearance of several tiny dots of light as the source, called “pixellation.†The MPL eliminates pixilation because of the dense packaging of a large number of LED chips within the LED package: 24.

I don’t know of any other LED that comes close to this number of internal LED chips: 4 is a common number. These are all packed into a 12×13mm footprint that Cree believes is 72% smaller than the next-smallest alterntive.

How does the MPL series fit in with the MC-E series of LEDs that Cree announced at the end of the year? The MC-E series, the first member of the EasyWhite family, can produce up to 560 lumens at 700 mA, and is a replacement for lower-power lights like 20 to 35-watt halogen light bulbs used in indoor lighting applications such as accent, track and pendant lighting. The MC-E has only four chips in its package.

copied and pasted from - http://www.edn.com/b...tes_binning.php

Here are my thougts about the future of LED's

A very interesting article, we are increasingly seeing LED tecnology becoming more widespread in the world around us. LED technology is used in televisions, display screens, traffic lights, arcitectural lighting, house hold light bulbs, tail lights and of course grow lights & the list goes on.

Another inovation is AMOLED which stands for Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode which is making ultra thin televisions ,pc/laptop monitors and mobile phone screens,which produce incredibly vivid colours and use a lot less energy than the old tech we used.

Reduced power consumption is what we all want when it comes to battery powered devices,less power used the longer the battery life, a real no brainer when it comes to this type of application.

Many people bemoan LED grow lights, saying the not good enough to grow bud and that they are too expensive.

Sure when LED grow light fist appeared they were as useful as a fart in a space suit.

Since that time LED tecnology has improved vastly and continues to constanly improve, with new inovations coming to market all the time.

The cost, oh the cost, ok i have to agree here,the price is too high for a lot of peoples budgets and if you were to fill a large grow with them you'd need another mortgage.

Idealy the way the situation stands is, if you are a small hobby grower growing for you own needs,LED's can provide some nice buds.

One good thing about LED's is they last for approx 50 000 hrs with no bulb replacement .

Hps bulbs are often replaced between 2 to 3 grows or between 9-12months.

A good LED light is left on for 24 hours a day,every day will last approx 5 1/2 years and if it is only used 12 hours a day then it would last 11 years.

The life of an LED light need to be factored in when thinking about price.With these new chips which are being created greater coverage and canopy penetraion will surely follow.

In time as these new chips will be manufactured in vast quantities and the price will drop.

I also imagine industrial espionage will play a roll in cost reduction, as will reverse engineering, where tech is taken apart to work out how it works and then copied at a fraction of the cost of the original supplier who had to spend vast sums on R&D.

Another factor will be there will be more manufactures of LED grow lights, there is nothing better for bringing prices down to a sane level than increased competion from multiple manufacturers.

Just wait a little longer and those prices will fall, we are teetering on the brink.

Just my thoughts

Peace

Lams

• Like 2

yes very good post lams, but as everyone too expensive for me for the moment ^^

But i do hope like you say that reverse engineering, competition and industrial spying will do their job and pull those price lower pretyy quick, but i think we will first see some cheap pannels that will come in "agreement" of your HPS or MH to "boost" your growth (that's what they'll say i guess ^^ ) before seeing cheap real panels that will do some good buds ^^

but as everyone keeping a close eye on this LED tech they are doing some awasome job, love this led you presented with only chips :)

Thanks for info lams ;)

• Like 1

Thanks DKH,Tokage,Dust and Romeu9.

As alway some interesting thoughts and advice.

DKH - subcool is a cool guy with some great genetics - what i take from his quote is "LED's are for guys practicing for when they get real LED lights" How long ago was this quote made? Has LED tech moved on since that time? ;)

Rom - Sunpulse is good tech that would be good to see people do some grows with and are Similar to the the CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide) developed by philips and sold as "master color Retro White". This technology effectively combines MH & HPS in one bulb.The sunpulse comes in a range colours/kelvin -

3K Lamps

SunPulse recommends the 3K lamp for the majority of flowering when growing annual plants.

4K Lamps

This is a Full Spectrum light good for all stages of growth.

6.4K Lamps

A lamp popularly used for vegetative growth.

10K Lamps

This lamp is for use during the last 1-2 weeks of flowering to allow better ripening and finishing.

http://www.sunpulselamps.com/

The Philips "color master Retro White" Ceramic Metal Halided if a full spectrum light.

http://advancedtechlighting.com/p-5497.pdf

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/us_en/connect/tools_literature/downloads/p-5497.pdf

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72215&highlight=ceramic+metal+halide

I think that the sunpulse 4K and the philips Retro white will have similar growth.

It would be great to see a grow from any of these bulbs here but no one likes to change from what already works, be it with these new bulbs or LED. The exception to this is CFL which is cheap enough to buy and didn't need a ballast, people could even use household cfl's as well as the larger purpose built grow CFL's.HPS still remains the king of the castle but his monarchy is coming under fire from the new boys and there is a revolution brewing - Viva la revolution.

Peace

Lams

Lams, bigger advantage of SunPulse bulbs is not the diferent colours, but the fact that they run on high frequency instead of just 60hz like ordinary bulbs.

A high frequency bulb running on a high frequency ballast (any digital ballast) ;) That is the future.

Superbluehaze uses them.

there are also some low frequency ballastdoing their way, don't know if it will be better than the high frequencys or whatever, but seems interesting too ^^

But video must be a little old maybe. They talk about bulbs technology not creating high frequency bulbs etc, which by now is done i believe ^^

anyway another comparison, :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkgvLwektGg&feature=youtu.be

ahaha, Just found this Lams:

"New for 2012

New SunPulse Press Release on Total Harmonic Distortion - Feb. 2012

Click here to read this important information on how poorly designed electronic ballasts are destroying the light you pay money for. Learn more about this hidden epidemic and how it can affect you.

SunPulse HI-LED Technology - NEW!

For Spinning or Stationary Light Applications

d16bc4ddae600ffaca5db018e75f562c.jpg

SunPulse HI-LED Spinners

6b0dfb997b9d6a7cfc462e5b049e20c0.jpg

6b0dfb997b9d6a7cfc462e5b049e20c0_62uw.jpg

SunPulse never had anything nice to say about growing plants with LED's, until now!

The latest, most advanced LED Technology ever invented for living things is now available from SunPulse. It took the GAS Technologies group of engineers, light scientists and life scientists to make this technology proper for plants. The GAS teams are the inventors of the horizontal hood, spinning lights, the digital lamp and more. SunPulse is proud to make this technology available to end users for the very first time.

Prior LED systems have been improper for plants. Failing to understand the plant science, photo-biology and lacking proper spectrum, other companies LED systems have missed the mark entirely. The people who import LED’s from China also base their sales on nonsensical PAR light values, (click here for the SP white paper on PAR) and aren’t made by real plant scientists. That’s why LED plant lighting never worked. It’s easy to make up some BS marketing without knowing photobiology and plant science. Most growers consider LED technology to be a joke for real-world growing, just as we did. LED technology had to be refined and enhanced to be truly effective for growing applications.

Understanding the complexities of lighting, photo-biology, plant science and electronic engineering, GAS Technologies decided to make LED's proper for plants once and for all. What's available now is called High Intensity LED or HI-LED, with GAS Technologies SunChip LED Technology

• Rigorously tested in controlled grow environments.
  • Durable systems MADE IN THE USA that are rugged and built to last.
  • Advanced Heat Dispersion Technology - A GAS exclusive!
  • Brilliant white light that all living things want.
  • Delivers light Quantum Real Time
  • Spinning Motors sold separately

Important Note: HI-LED Systems are Modular. Use the Spinner arms as stationary lights and upgrade to the spinning motor later.

• 60000 hours of life rated on every SunChip
  • 4 years on SP Drivers
  • Easily replaceable SunChips and drivers
  • Broad spectrum for true photochemical reactions
  • The first UV – Enhanced LED Chip
  • Available Wattages: 60w to 600w
  • Exclusive Wave Guide Lensing - A GAS Technologies Exclusive Design
  • Available in Multiple Kelvin Colors

• Plug and play Interfacing
  • Operates on both 110v/240v power configurations
  • North American, Australian and EU power configurations available"

http://www.sunpulselamps.com/New_for_2012.html

:D

Why does low frequency ballast make you laugh rom?

considering the number of people that must be using Sunpulse lamps on their digital ballast, which they should do i agree on that since it is proven to work better. but still i don't see much people using them. So having a low frequency will allow you to use almost any bulb you want at his "normal" frequency and probably save some too, cause i've read people changing bulbs 3 times a year cause they broke on digital ( not my fault if they aren't smart enough to buy correct bulb even after that )

Thanks Rom

I havent seen these LED light from sun pulse,looks interesting, will be good to get some more info.

I need to do some reading,I'd slso like to find out the cost and if they are on sale yet.

I was doing some reading about digital ballast earlier today but need to do a bit more reading.

I however i did find that lumatek make HPS bulbs designed for digital ballasts.

Things were alot more straight forward when it was just MH & HPS for veg & flower with some flouro tube for your cuttings.

There is now a choice of specalist HPS bulbs with extra features such added blue(sonT agro),Broader spectrum with increasesd lumens (Eye hortilux),HPS For digital ballasts (lumatek) and conversion bulbs which can be used in HPS or MH ballasts with the added benefit of both MH & HPS light spectrums.

Metal halides are changing too such as the Sunpulse range of bulbs designed for use with electronic ballasts and come in a range of colours/kelvin and the Ceramic Metal Halide by philips "color master Retro White" which produces a full spectrum light. The Ceramic Metal Halide is a Hybrid of MH & HPS technologies in one bulb.

(All MH bulbs give out UV-A & UV-B, Sunpulse give out UV-A,UV-B & lower end of UV-C. Always use caution with UV Light, use proper protcetion and keep exposure to a minimum)

Other Lights which have grower are starting to use are full and dual spectrum Induction lamps, Which look a bit like flouro's.Thess lights don't have internal electrodes, instead they work by electromagnetic induction.Electro magnetic coils go round the tube and stimulate the gases in side to glow.Reports are good for seed,cutting and veg but lacks with intesity and light throw (intesity over distance).In time this tech may be tweaked and give greater performance in the flowering phase.

Another tech that has been recently introduced is the Sulphur Plasma Light AKA LEP (Light Emitting Plasma) and PLS(Plasma Lighting System), which is another electrodeless light.This time the light is a small quarts bulb with a tiny ammount of sulphur in it which is excited my microwave radiation.

This next bit is copied and pasted from - http://sound.westhos...ps/sp-lamp.html

• Sulphur bulbs are twice as efficient as other sources of high quality white light.
  • They produce almost no ultraviolet light and very little infrared; this makes them easier to use with plastic fixtures or fibres.
  • The full-spectrum light that is produced is extremely good for visual acuity and feels much like sunlight.
  • The bulb is very simple, a hollow quartz sphere with sulphur and argon gas, so it is environmentally benign and does not degrade in use.
  • The light source is very bright so the light can be efficiently distributed over large spaces.
  • The light output and colour does not degrade over time, and it is fully dimmable down to 30%.

There are probably lots of other bulbs i have not included, wether it be a completely new type of light or old tech with a new spin, lights are constanly changing.

What ever light we use and how we use it, the choice is ours, they only thing i hope is if you try something new, you will showcase it in the forums and share your results.

Thanks again Rom for the new LED lights article

Peace

Lams

Just notice that the sunpulse LED lights have UV this is the first time LED light have had this.

I'm wondering, just wondering mind,if this is the LED that might make subcool change his mind??

Who knows, i await the results of this behemoth of a light.

I got to say this about sunpulse, it surely looks like they don't mess about.

These are surely exciting times and no time for resting on your laurels if your a grow light manufacturer.

The race is on.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

Hey Lams! I look forward to one more research from you my friend! Thanks!

About the Sunpulse just let me say they are not HPS at all, they are High Frequency Discharce Plasma Digital bulbs, dispite the red spectrum does the same they are not HPS, altough they sometimes call it that so people "know" what they can count on, since we are so used to MH and HPS nomenclatures! :)

edit: Here's what I was talking and meanting, from sunpulse FAQ page: http://www.sunpulselamps.com/FAQ.html

"Q: Do you make an HPS lamp?

A: Sun Pulse makes an HPS lamp, but it can never be used in high frequency electronic ballasts. Millions of dollars were spent by Sun Pulse Labs, and research clearly proves the HPS lamp cannot be used for electronic HID ballasts, ever. Like the typewriter, HPS lamps are a thing of the past. In addition, an HPS lamp is approx. 2.2K,( or 22% of the Sun) and has a narrow band of light. Red light also has the least amount of energy of all the colors of the spectrum. Why pay money to make light that has the least amount of energy? <a href="http://www.sunpulselamps.com/FAQ.html">Click here to learn more.

Q: What's a Pulse Start Metal Halide?

A: Pulse start metal halides are the next generation of halide lamps. The traditional lamps are called “probe-start†metal halides. Probe and Pulse just refer to the method of the starting sequence for the arc stream as it passes through the arc tube to make the plasma."

Dust: wich part of "Im ignoring you" you dont understand? SO the laugh was not for you... Leave your ego at the door please.

Take care

I'm learning alot from all this. I had included sunpulse in MH section. This was because i went to there site and in wattage selection it show this as the section heading -

SunPulse Pulse Start Metal Halide Lamps

Digital Lamps for Digital Ballasts

Q: What's a Pulse Start Metal Halide?

"A: Pulse start metal halides are the next generation of halide lamps. The traditional lamps are called “probe-start†metal halides. Probe and Pulse just refer to the method of the starting sequence for the arc stream as it passes through the arc tube to make the plasma."

Sunpulse are these next generation of Metal Halides and whilst you are correct that they have a plasma reaction. It is the pulsed/probed current at the start which initially excites thes gases and particles,this causes ionisation of certain particles turning the gas into a plasma, once the reaction is started the inital pulse in not required.

Quote:

Physics and chemistry, plasma is a state of matter similar to gas in which a certain portion of the particles are ionized. Heating a gas may ionize its molecules or atoms (reduce or increase the number of electrons in them), thus turning it into a plasma, which contains charged particles: positive ions and negative electrons or ions.[1] Ionization can be induced by other means, such as strong electromagnetic field applied with a laser or microwave generator, and is accompanied by the dissociation of molecular bonds, if present.

copied and pasted from - http://en.wikipedia....a_%28physics%29

This is a real journey of discovery for me if at any stage i make a mistake please forgive me, I am trying to get my head round a lot of new things.My only goal is to be better informed.

What may have mislead you to think i had included the sunpulse in the HPS section, is that in that section the very last light i mention, is the CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide) which whilst this is still a Metal Halide, it is a hybrid of Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium tecnology.

I always look forward to your input too! :)

Peace bro

Lams

Thanks DKH I understand totally. :)

Did you check out Roms post further up the page,these lights aint gonna come cheap but they may just be kick ass enough to do the business.

I'll repost Roms link if your interested - http://www.sunpulsel...w_for_2012.html

Always like your input, it makes for a more ballanced look at things.

Peace Lams

@DKH thanks bro,When i look at the sunpulse spinner, it looks like a lot of weight. Though i am guessing it is a prototype.Cost no doubt will be high.Funny you should mention microwaves, that's exactly what make LEP (Light Emitting Plasma) work. LEP's produce a high intensity full spectrum light, which is ideal for covering large areas and have good canopy penetration.They use a magnetron to excite a small amount of sulphur,which is encased in a glass sphere.Imagine the bulb might out last the magentron. Magnetrons are cheap but buying the LEP tech isn't yet.

In reality it is a fairly simple light to copy, so come on china where's my cheap plasma. If anyone is worried about the micro waves, proper shielding has been included and has to pass safety checks. So maybe this will be the one that overtakes the other? We shall see,once again, if the price drops, they could be the next contender.Seconds out, ding, ding.

Hot diggity damn, sunpulse only did it again. Mini CMH (Ceramic Metal Halides). Isn't there a pie they haven't got thier sticky little fingers in? Fair play to these guy's they certainly got thier eyes on the prize.Check this out -

Sunpulse Nano Series Ceramic Metal Halides are as small as 20 watts

left_cap.jpg Posted on April 5th, 2011 by Jake Adams right_cap.jpg2 Comments

ceramic-metal-halide-nano-4.jpg

SunPulse Nano Series Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are a new line of HID lights with sizes down to 20 watts. The SunPulse Nano Series metal halides come in 20, 35, 75 and 100 watts and in 3, 4, 6.5 and 10K correlated color temperature. Unlike the mogul base and double ended metal halides reefers are used to, the Sunpulse Nano CMH lamps either come in a MR or GU style base; the smallest 20 watt CMH uses a tiny GU6.5 base socket.

Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are a relatively new form of high intensity discharge which is touted for its strong color rendition and high luminous maintenance over the course of the lamp. Unlike some of the generic CMH lamps made by Osram and GE, SunPulse has specially designed these Nano Series CMH to operate at extremely high frequencies; traditional ballasts operate at 60Hz but the digital electronic ballasts used to drive SunPulse CMH lamps operate at 500kHz.

The fixture for the tiny 20 watt CMH dubed the Sapphire is about the size of a man’s palm and it puts off so little heat that the plastic housing is only warm to the touch. SunPulse plans to incorporate the 20 watt light into a self-ballasted PAR38 form factor which is expected to retail around $80 while the entire fixture will be closer to $130. The SunPulse Nano CMH lamps are so new they don’t even know when they will have these available but we’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Read more: http://reefbuilders..../#ixzz1oBlGvXzs

Peace

Lams

Here's some pics -

post-8436-0-29203400-1330900199.jpg

post-8436-0-76727700-1330900214.jpg

• Like 2

I have a small cab that i use for my percy.These CMH (Ceramic Metal Halide) Are available in -

3K Lamps

SunPulse recommends the 3K lamp for the majority of flowering when growing annual plants.

4K Lamps

This is a Full Spectrum light good for all stages of growth.

6.4K Lamps

A lamp popularly used for vegetative growth.

10K Lamps

This lamp is for use during the last 1-2 weeks of flowering to allow better ripening and finishing.

My space is 45cm x 45cm a 100w would do nicely.

Peace bro

Lams

Sure thing Dust ;)

I just emailed Sunpulse about the "Sunpulse Nano" and the "Sunpulse HiLED" asking for additional info.

The "Sunpulse Nano" was first reported about a year ago but no news since then.So when they will sell I have no idea.

I want to buy an LED next, It will be a top notch one and a price to match lol.I'm saving up for one but life has a funny way of finding other things that need money being thrown at.I think the Sunpulse Nano will be cheaper than the LED by quite abit but if aint on the market, i can't buy one :(

If they email me back with any additional info, I will be sure to post it here.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

Lol, indeed a miniature HID it is. A realatively new kind call Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH), which is an advancement of MH with an arc tube more similar to the ones found in HPS.I have included a picture at the bottom of the page showing the mini ballast, they show the electronics, so you can gauge the size.

"Ceramic discharge metal-halide lamp - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ceramic discharge metal-halide (CDM) lamp, mostly referred to as Ceramic Metal Halide lamp (CMH), is a relatively new source of light that is a variation of the metal-halide lamp, which itself is a variation of the old (high-pressure) mercury-vapour lamp. The discharge is contained in a ceramic tube, usually made of sintered alumina, similar to what has been used in the high pressure sodium lamp. During operation, the temperature of this ceramic tube can exceed 1200 kelvins. The ceramic tube is filled with mercury, argon and metal-halide salts. Because of the high wall temperature, the metal halide salts are partly vaporized. Inside the hot plasma, these salts are dissociated into metallic atoms and iodine.

The metallic atoms are the main source of light in these lamps, creating a bluish light that is close to daylight with a CRI (color rendering index) of up to 96. The exact correlated color temperature and CRI depend on the specific mixture of metal halide salts. There are also warm-white CDM lamps, with somewhat lower CRI (78-82) which still give a more clear and natural-looking light than the old mercury-vapour and sodium-vapour lamps when used as street lights, besides being more economical to use.

The ceramic tube is an advantage in comparison to earlier fused quartz. During operation, at high temperature and radiant flux, metal ions tend to penetrate the silica, depleting the inside of the tube. Alumina is not prone to this effect.

CDM lamps use one fifth of the power of comparable tungsten incandescent light bulbs for the same light output (80–117 lm/W) and retain colour stability better than most other gas discharge lamps.

Applications for these lamps include television and film making as well as shop lighting, digital photography, street and architectural lighting." - copied and pasted from - http://en.wikipedia....tal-halide_lamp

It is funny to think how many things that we use in growing can be found at the pet store. Mainly in the aquatic and reptile sections.

Things such as water pumps,air pumps and air stones,activated carbon,T5 tubes and fixtures,UV-B tubes,net pots, clay pebbles,tubing and soon mini HID's.There is probably a whole range of things i haven't included.

Peace

Lambs

post-8436-0-92917500-1330940067.jpg

Update on Email set to sunpulse

A year ago there was an article @ reefbuilders.com about the "Sunpulse Nano",a "Ceramic Metal Halide" (CMH) which was going to be available in a range of Wattages from 20W to 100W.

They also announced recently, that they were making a new LED light called the "Sunpulse HI-LED spinner " which is going to be available in a range of Wattages from 60W to 600W.

I sent sun pulse an email asking when these lights would be available and what price they would be,I recieved an Email back saying "If you want to call me to learn more, it'd be easier to speak by phone", the phone number was for a cell phone.

Honestly don't know why a simple Email can't be sent, I live in the UK and there is no way I'm gonna phone a cell/mobile phone in the USA, I'd have to take out a second mortgage.

Sunpulse have some great products, I just don't understand why the info i asked for can't be sent in an Email or at the very least give me a land line phone number.

This leaves me dissapointed and no further towards knowing when they will be released or how much they will cost.

I was quite excited about micro CMH HID's, which would have been ideal for my small grow space.

Not very good customer relations.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

:D

I had the same some year back:

"

Hello,

Can you please call me at your convenience, this is too much to explain

in a single email.

Regards,

Dan