VEG LIGHTING how much is enough?

Polar Bear

and how much is too much or overkill my closet is 5ftx6ftx8ft................and while im on the subject would 1200 watts of hps be way too much bud lite or not........i need some educated opinoins folks...i'm fixing to invest in my lites and i dont really want to do it twice...........all little pearls of wisdom will be very appreciated..PEACE OUT

in my experience( not scientific opinion) i had a room that was aprox 10x10'. for the vegging area which is about the size of your room for our mothers which were about 15 of them under (1) 1000w hps. as long as you can keep the temp low in a range of 75-80 degrees, (75 degrees is ideal and the babies thrive) i also however had a higher roof to get a larger coverage of light. if it's too much your plants will respond by looking like they are stressed out, in that case lower your wattage. i am right now sexing and veging my outdoor crop under a 4 ft florescent (t-8) fixture. it takes a little longer but i have 20 of the best looking seedlings i have ever seen. i haven't sexed them out but they are healthy and happy and are not competing for optimum light. i would say maintaining the temp and ensuring that all your plant get a fare share of the light will be you only problem. you can get a light meter from almost any nursery or hardware store for like $10.

good luck with your journey.

"slow and steady, steady and slow. thats the way we always go" just don't rush what should be nurtured and you should be fine.

thanks man.....i am hoping to start with pineapple chunk or white russian....i am going to veg in this same room............is 1200 wats to much metal halide for seedlings...i feel like with that much wattage i can probably leave the lites up close to the cieling in the veg and bud stage......what do you think?

Guest samuelo
1200watts? how mature are they? thats a very bright light...... if i was you i would break them in and increase the light in stages if you can

each lite close to each other or close to the plants.............i will be using 2 ...600 watt ballasts and lamps............do you think 1200 watts of metal halide will be too much to germinate and veg with.......because the ballasts also convert to 400 watt so i have many wattage combinations to work with..............1-400 watt or 2-400 watt and the same at 600 watt.............if this was your room how would you lite it for germ and vegging?

Guest samuelo
yeah - far too much to germinate.... If you can use a cool blue light - say 2 x 55watts for germinating - thats the way to go - try getting your hands on a specialized seedling light box or even a 125w vegging cfl as when plants are young you have to be gentle with them - afterall they still babies

Guest superbluehaze

For optinum yeild use 60 to 80 watts per square foot. You can start the plants under a arge light, but have the light at least 3 feet above them. As they grow and can take it lower the light until it is close to them over a month or so. My spece is just a little large and I will be using 4 by 600 watt lights. My four plants are now under a 600 watt halide.

all the best and happy harvests