Panama Red

lorenzo Losa

Hello, if possible I would like information on panama red, is indica or sativa?

or a hybrid? what kind of high it gives? I'm interested in this because I find it interesting

is not we hear much talk and no one knows where to find it ... thanks. :bye:

• 3 weeks later...

Im not the one with the info but i can tell you about the tales i heard from old stoners.

They told me she was a very high lifting sativa(energetic), and she had a very special taste. You would always find seeds in it.

That is all i know lolol, i hope we get some old timer to tell the truth

In the Netherlands, back in the day, the whole indoor growing thing hardly happened. Most weed was imported from Africa, Indonesia and South America and was far less potent than the weed you buy today. Smoking it got you high and energetic, as opposed to the (much more widely available) hash from countries like Morocco, Lebanon, Turkey, India and Afganistan that would get you stoned. Apart from the (even more rare) sensimilla, all of the weed came with seeds. Those were of course planted everywhere and sometimes even produced a couple of ounces of Dutch weed, with a very weak high, hardly any buds and a real 'green' taste. Foreign weed tasted much more spicey.

One of the very first who started growing seriously, was a guy called Kees Hoekert in Amsterdam. He founded the Lowland Weeds Company in 1969 and sold the herb from his houseboat. Google produces a load of links to Youtube-clips and websites if you search on those names. Anyways, the cultivation of cannabis really took off since then and as a result, it's hard to find foreign weed these days. After all, importing it is a much bigger risk than growing it here, and the smokers want the potent stuff they're used to.

Oh, and if you think this little snippet of history is real oldskool, you should've heard the stories old smokers told me when I started smoking, some 40 years ago.

:bye:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my friend and i bought an oz. Panama Red in '78 or '79 where we lived on Long Island for $50 when there was nothing around. i remember we were so stoned we could not talk or do it well. my friend was so high he turned white as a ghost and had to leave the house we were in. he told me the next day he was getting so many headrushes and he felt like he was going to puke. i guess their was more thc in it than we were used to. I wish i had that problem today. Peace, jethead

• Like 1

My dad use to get all this panama red, columbian gold back in the early 70`s in windsor ontario, guys use to bring it across from detroit. he said it was better weed then the stuff nowadays.

I signed up to this forum simply because I came across your message on this thread. Your dad is correct. The one and only time I was able to experience what I called REAL Panama Red was back between 70-72 here in Southern California. My friends and I were lucky enough to go in on a 1/2 oz bag of a shipment that was right off the boat (so to speak). To this day I have yet to find anything like it. The entire bag of buds was an almost brown to brick red in color with a taste and smell that was, and is to this day, hard to describe. The taste was unique and immediately addicting, the high clean and not a bit heavy (if that makes sense). Though I forget what we got the 1/2 oz for, I remember at the time thinking how expensive it was and how my friends and I almost bought a fat lid (bag) of Mexican instead. I'm sure glad we decided on the Red. I have been on a life long quest to find that taste and smell since.

And as for other special strains of the early 70s... When a person bought a Thai Stick laced with Opium (usually $35.00 a stick) you knew you were in for a great high, and the taste, mmmmmmm. Same with the various "Gold" strains. Though Columbian Gold (not to be confused with the regular columbian at the time) was a bit easier to find. The thing is, back in the day it was extremely easy to distinguish the strains. They all had their distinct properties that set them apart. Even the cheap Mexican stuff that was found on every corner.

Now it seems when someone comes over after visiting a dispensary, though there may be some difference, I will be asked what I think of the smell and it's always the same....... Skunk! Some stronger smelling than another.

I've started smoking again for medical reasons and surely hope I can come across some original 70s strains.

Gary

• Like 1

i remmember getting some panama red in the 70s man i was so stoned i was on the couch and i only hit it twice to this day i have never come across that same feeling i was turned on to it but this stuff is hard to describe all i remember is it was the best i ever had at that time in the 70s,i do remimber it smelled really good one of a kind for sure,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's the history as i understand it. Panama red is one of the infamous 1970's sativa strains. It's a cross between westafircan sativa and local Panama landrace. In the 60's and 70's enterprising hippies began exporting it to the united sates and it became a favorite particularly on the west coast. Unfortunately, the drug war and the fall of Noriega put a pretty good stop to its export.

Today, it can still be found online from a number of seed dispensaries however its typically crossed with cinderella 99, a cross between jack herra and shiva skunk. Its nice but not the original.

The real deal landrace can be found on the pearl islands off the west coast of panama. Bring your rustic sensibilities as these islands are poor and offer only basic accommodation. An afternoon in the local beach bar should go a long way to getting you a taste or maybe even a tour of the field. Unfortunately, the best stuff i had was seedless. It was very thin, fluffy and very red. Not a lot of bud but very high quality. My guess is that a 10 ft plant would yield only maybe 220 gr dry or that at least what i saw. The seeds I have, have not been cracked yet. Ill post pictures when I decide to start them.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

You are correct sir! It was sold as Rainbow Columbian in some circles (as to command a higher price, I suspect) but the gentleman is correct about it being from deep southern Mexico. Wow Stonecrabb perhaps our paths have crossed. Onward, through the fog my brother!

• 1 month later...