Lets Talk Cross-Breeding

Mr_Mustard

I'm not a breeder, YET lol, i for sure will do some breeding when i will be settled and sure i'll stay where i am for a long time. Right now is too "young" ^^

I'm asking admins to create a breeder section on the forum for a few weeks, i'm sure there would be some amazing topics to talk about, and for me to answer your question it's something every one should share, and explain how they do.

We havethe RED project from Jose in the spanish section that seems very interesting, and i would love to see more breeding topics :)

Anyway if you got any things to say about this, please DO :rabbi:

Have a good breeding ;)

I am very much interested in the subject have bin reading up on Soma's technique on creating seeds on the lower half of the plant to maintain a nice juicy cola :D

but i'm the same I am very new to the subject but very interested in it and will be looking to try it in the future but that's after i have grown out a few breeds a lot so i know i the strains i will be working with. I can imagine the nightmare it would be if you tried it with new strains.

Looking forward to any info

Peace

Good to hear there is some interest in breeding.

Here are a few links which will be helpful to the novice grower>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_strains

http://www.marijuana.com/threads/what-are-f2-f3-f4-seeds-and-why-are-they-cheaper.281980/

Before I make a few points I want to make it clear that I am in no way trying to undermine or discredit any breeder or seed supplier when I discuss feminised seeds.

First off, some basics;

If you want to cross breed it is very simple, get two entirely different strains, one male, one female, pollinate the female and your get several hundred seeds, grow them and your end up with a third variety often referred to as an F1 hybrid. These F1's are unstable and can produce quite a few hermaphrodites but, you can end up with some really interesting pheno types that can then be cloned.

If you want to stabilise your breed it can take several generations of breeding and allot of time and patience. Most small time personal growers wont have the space to properly breed a stable new variety so it's best just going down the F1 route. Your gonna need 'regular' cana seeds for obvious reasons 'feminised' seeds wont give you males (although they will produce hermaphrodites) It should also be mentioned that it is well worth buying regular seeds and keeping a male to pollenate a female or two, your get hundreds of seeds and your weed will be every bit as good as if it was pure sensi, you just have to pick the seed out before you burn the herb!

Many years ago most growers preferred to have a male or two in the garden to pollinate a female for the seed, it made sense, you bought 10 seeds, got a couple of males and females and bred them to get, in some cases, thousands of seeds! and some wacky pheno types! Happy days :pogranichnik:

Hey Mr.Mustard!

As a grower (not a breeder) I would like to try to pollinate some females I have, but I dont have the space to grow a male whatsoever!

Anyway I would love to know more about it, and if possible some day we could chat about it too!

Take care and WELCOME! ;)

I Found this book 'Organic Marijuana' to be useful

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|99p11|1306096581|Organic_Marijuana__Soma_Style_-_The_Pleasures_Of_Cultivating_Connoisseur_Cannabis.pdf|10793|R~D099406818ED7B9DE6717EF7EFFFDA8C|0|0

taken from http://www.strainhunters.com/forums/topic/3693-some-download/ < A good post by HC01! lots of useful books there to get stuck into. Romeu9 Chapter 10 page 71 interesting

Quote from the book "I pollinate the lower flowers, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking" thats what i'm interested in doing and I hope to give it a try in the future :)

• 4 months later...

this may not relate directly to the thread but in terms of breeding, how does a strain (ie) white widow x afghani x northern lights share all 3 'parenting' strains equally? i've tried the math :sclerosis: and come up with one strain would still be predominant - have 50% of the final 'product... or is the strain breed long enough for stability and in turn, have those strains mixed in equally?

thx!

sorry if the question is redundant,,,