The chefs wares!

the chef

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehehe, was gonna wait fer this but....i grow CFL Spirals from start to finish! Iknow your gonna say there are better, buti've done cfl's since july of 09 with amazing results! you'llall see in the upcoming years i'll be here....well as long as you'll have me. Good eye!

Guest samuelo
ah...... that is cool. i have actually been having a personal debate with myself whether to buy a new 600watt digital ballast and bulb or whether to buy 2 or 3 250watt CFLS - to add to my current 400watt HPS set up.

have a few more weeks to scratch my head whether to go for the 1000w of HPS or the 400HPS + 500/750CFL

so all information about the CFL is cool to me

thumbs_up.gif

Guest samuelo

was thinking of using these:
250wlamp.jpg
perhaps 2 or 3 x 250watt 2700k flowering CFL bulbs would go well with my current HPS

Guest Turtle

Hey dude,,

I've long been a fan of the cfl's for far to long they have had a bad press,,

So it's nice to see some one using them with conviction,,

As you say heat can be an issue but only if your not prepared for it,,

It's been a long time since I used mh lamps for veg,,

Though I do switch to a 600 wt super sont + for bloom,,

I will side light with the cfl's to help the lower branching if needed,,

I've found that the best results are to be attained by mixing the spectrums,,

At the moment I'm running eco-technics lamps with good results,,

I use,,

Veg

2 x 125 wt 6400k ( blue )

1 x 125 wt 25000k ( purple )

Bloom

2 x 125 wt 2700k ( red )

1 x 125 wt 25000k ( purple )

That's how I get the best results out of my cfl's,,

There is somthing vastly different in the taste of weed flowered under the cfl's,,

For some reason it is always richer and sweeter than under hps,,

Look forword to seeing a few more of your posts,,

StayStoked

Guest samuelo
I might just have to invest in a pair of them lamps then :)

do you know the lumen output of these CFLS?

Like uh 400watt HPS = 55000lumens, 600watt HPS = 90000lumens, 1000watt HPS = 145000lumens

so how do you match up on that kinda comparison?

Guest Turtle

Youl have to do some math !

.Incandescent Watts...... . ..CFL Watt range... . . ... .. Lumen Range

8 - 10

13 - 18

18 - 22

23 - 28

34 - 42

Guest superbluehaze

Your plants are looking great. How tall do you grow them? I am interested in these bulbs too for veg or side lighting. I do love HID' s for flowering though. You can not beat them for intensity, and the plants love intense light.

Your plants are looking really happy.

Happy harvest

Guest superbluehaze

3 by 250 would be 750 watts; you would get great intensity and more light using a 600 watt HID. Have thought of using a 600 watt hallide with your 400 watt HPS, or better still if you can afford a certified digital ballast go for these lights; with the buster switch you get an extra 10% light output but use only 600 watts of power; you do, however, have to use the 750 watt bulbs:

www.sunpulselamps.com/index.php

:

these lamps have the spectrum and the intensity;

happy growing

While a powerful light is very important, I've been designing a new grow room and am going with multiple light sources. I watched a video about light movers and what hit me was that no matter how much power you put into your light, if there is only one, there will be parts of your plant that don't get any light. The reason plants outside get light everywhere isn't because the sun is all powerful (though it is;) the reason is because the earth revolves around the sun, and as the sun rises and sets it hits your plants from different angles.

So, I'm going to plan on a few smaller lights from different angles.

Guest superbluehaze

You are right about the earth moving; I always use multiple lights for flowering, and when in veg, with one light, I move the plants every few hours to a day. Intensity is very important; while they like light from multiple sources, they love intense light, as intense light gets the atoms of chlorophyll buzzing and that is what you need for photosynthesis. A more intense light also penetrates the canopy better,

The bottom line though is that it depends on what you hope to achieve from your garden, and there is no one right way or any wrong ways, it just depends on the grower. happy harvest

Thnx guys! The thing with cfls is i can put them wherever i want to get the light penetration i need. I'm not having the hassle of one set light system. I can move the light to suit the plant not the other way around. Plus there is something very dank about growing with cfl's!

I haven't used CFLs except for some side lighting, but I have used T5s to bud autoflower strains, and with great results. I think it's all about height. No matter how much you throw at the top of your plant, unless you're running a large room with many HPSs, it's probably better to go with lots of smaller lights, like your CFL setup.

I am building a new grow room. I have two 120w LEDs, and will augment the sides with T5s, mainly because that is what I already have. If I feel I need more, I may look at dropping a few CFLs down the middle.

Please keep us posted!