Skylights

Jay Ryan

I am getting ready to start growing in my new shed (see other post in this section), and was considering adding a skylight.

My shed has what is called a shed roof where one side is 8' tall and the other is 6' tall giving it a good slant. It sits right outside the window above my desk and I noticed that the sun is right over it all day long. I grew outside last year, but the cold weather cost me a few plants that didn't finish, so I thought I would stay inside this year, but it seems to be a waste not to use the sun at all.

I have a pair of 120w LEDs for my bud area, and will add T5s to the sides, plenty of light for a 5'x5' area, but I was wondering, has anyone used skylights to suppliment their grow?

The LEDs are very directional, so the light only goes where you point it. So, if I added a skylight, and way to close it off on a 12 hr duration like the lights, would I get a lot more light, or would it be to diffused to really help?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The only problem I'll have is dealing with closing off the skylight during the sprinig and summer on the 12 hour mark. The rest of the year it shouldn't matter.

I've been looking at some simple things, and will post when I find something, as well as results from the plants.

Funny thing Fuzzy, a few hours after I posted yesterday I did a google search for "skylight grow" (without the quotes) the page leading to this topic came up on the first page. Essentially I haven't found any info on line about growing under skylights. Well, nothing with results.

A 4' skylight and 2 120w LEDs in a 5x5 area. I'm hopeful. ;)