what is so bad about using tinfoil as reflective material ?

honestiago

The foil will have crease's which then amplifies the heat, so you will get little heat spots. basically have u held a magnifying glass to the sun to get that concentrated bit of light to burn things, well that's the same thing pretty much the foil will do! unless UNLESS you can get it super tight but even then personally i don't think it will be worth it!

here's a couple options

http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/categories/Growroom-Products/Sheeting/Diamond-Grow-Reflective-Sheeting/

http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/categories/Growroom-Products/Sheeting/Black-&-White/

Or just good old white paint but i suggest the Diamond :)

Hope that helps sorry i can't put any science to it i'm half way through my morning joint and brain has gone numb haha

Have a great grow

Peace

• Like 3

with Cfl normally you will not get light burns with the foil, but still i think white paint will reflect light better than your foil, we only think Foil reflect better but it doesn't that much ;)

yeah honestly, if you are gonna use tin foil use the matted side it wont cause as bad of reflection and make sure when you put it up you put it as flat as you can but i would go with white i even use white cardboard as movable wall`s and it seems to work alright i would rather paint it white but that will have to wait until i get a new place. if you switch over to high intensity discharge tho ditch the foil it will burn your plants

you could use film, white / black

You find different thickness, depending on needs.

In my limited experience, is the most economical method for preparing a growroom,

and have good results.

Make a good choice.

good luck!

• 3 months later...

this chart is from "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" by Jorge Cervantes

Material Percent Reflected

Foylon 94 - 95

Reflective Mylar 90 - 95

Flat white paint 85 - 93

Semi-gloss white paint 75 - 80

Flat yellow paint 70 - 80

aluminum foil 70 - 75

conciderations when using reflective materials

1. Hot spots - when using mylar film (not plastic backed) and foil, creases folds and other such like distortions to the material will cause hot spot and can lead to scorching of your plants.

Recomendation are to use plastic backed diamond embosed mylar which due to it's backing does not fold of crease like normal mylar film and the diamond embosing also helps by slightly difussing the light , so no hot spots are created.

Using paint also avoids hot spots as i can't crease either.

2. Foil and electricty - aluminum foil conducts electricity very well and should you have a short or dodgy wiring it increases the chance of electric shock.

3.structural stability - foil rips like nobodies business only a few knocks and scrapes can leave in tatters and it will become less effective in reflecting light.

Peace hunters

Lams

• Like 1