UPDATED (new Grower) Identifying problems! Thank You

Romeu9

Can you guys please help me identifying some problems with this plant? (the only one I have for now lol)

darker top leaves then the bottom ones, one burned leave and some other thing you trained eye guys can see. Thank you!

11%20-%20P260510_15_130001%20fimcrescime

If you are in potting soil then ph shouldn't really be an issue.

It looks like nitrogen deficiency. Nothing a good fertilizer can't fix. Go with a grow formula or booster to use with your regime. high nitrogen level. for example: 20-10-10 NPK ratio.

the ratio I'm using is that one: 20-10-10 NPK ratio...

I talked about the soil ph lockout because I'm still not controling my ph. I don't have a ph meter and ph up and downers.

Thanks guys!

I will buy what I'm lacking, ways to control and monitor the ph!

flush your soil with a tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water, then use a mild nutrient solution to flush the epsom and rebalance your soil. if your using a soilless mix you can do this with plain water.... the plant could use a little silicate, try advanced nutrients rhino skin and that will help to build a all around stronger plant. good luck

greenthumb

Guest superbluehaze

How often are you watering?

Too much water drowns the roots, and the plants can suffer all sorts of deficencies. I am not so sure it is nitrogen, but could be too much water, a common mistake made by even experienced growers. The yellowing starts on the lower leaves when the roots have no air from being watered too much, just like nitrogen deficiency does.

Never water until the soil feels dry about 2 inches down, put your finger in the soil and feel it. Only when it is dry, do you water.

happy harvest,

Thanks superbluehaze!

I water once a day, early in the day so it have all day to catch all the water and nuts realy good.

The overwater is not a problem for me, I always check if it realy needs more water before watering, by checking the soil and the pot weight. It's definitely N def, I don't have how to control the ph so...

Thanks anyway.

(Thanks N.W.greenthumb!

I'm groing in soil, so, the right ph should always be between 6.3 and 6.8? 5.8 to 6.2 it's to low wen groing in soil? the green house guys always have the ph around 5.5 5.7 and they grow in soil to...) could please someone answer me on this please? Thanks

I flush every week, 10L of water to a 10L pot. Since I'm doing it weekly, is it ok like this?

Due to the sun and the heat, I painted the pot in white so it doesn't overheats the roots :)

My terrace is catching sun and heat (Portugal's a hot country) all day long, and by the end of the day all the water in the pot is gone! So, even wen I flush it only takes a day to dry... I always have a dish under the pot.. I always place the pot in the kitchen sink wen feeding due to the normal "10%" runoff.

I still don't have a ph meter, to expensive for me at this time :( but I will asap... And I'm taking notes of all you guys are teaching me trough here! Thanks a lot!wink_smile.gif

Thanks drunkknucklehead-!

I'm taking notes of my teachers here :D I realy am!

I currently have two plants now, the one here(10L) and other that still's a seedling and that have been bitten by my dog, so it stoped for a while and now new leaves are sprouting from it (in a 7L pot)... Both have holes and not touching the ground :) This week my green house seeds are coming and it's time to plant another one (this one will have a 18L pot)!

I will keep you posted on both of these for now and later with one from green house seeds!

THANKS Fuzzy and drunkknucklehead-!

It sounds like a ton of really good information for you.

Let me see if I can put it together for you. You should really only need to flush every three weeks because it is harder to have the salt build up from the fertilizers (especially the way you are watering) You should only need to water every other day unless it is above 30 degrees celsius during the day and then I would recommend watering daily. But go easy on the watering because the plants need oxygen to their roots more than water.

You should be able to get yourself a cheap pool ph meter. They are about $8 (american) and all you need to do is add a couple drops to the vial that is half full with your nutes and it will change color to signify what ph you have.

Sorry I have to run... I will finish later.

Guest superbluehaze

My friend you have been given some excellent advice here.

I think watering once a day is too much, especially in soil. I live n Australia, an it can get very hot here too, but unless your pot is tiny, it is to much.

Others have made some excellent points about roots and ph, and nitrogen deficency. I have had another close look at your plant, and I think it could possibly be a magnesium deficiency. Why? the yellowing is both at the top and bottom of the plant. Nitrogen starts at the bottom and works up from their because it is mobile in the plant, and the plant takes it from the old growth to give to the new growth. Theyellowing is in both the old and new growth.

Nutrient problems send even the experts crazy.

It may be that your plant is short on magnesium, which is a building block for chlorophyll.

Listen to the advice, and then try one recommendation and if that does not work try another. It is hard to know for sure without actually seeing the plant. The problem is not real serious yet, so do not worry, you will fix it.

Happy growing/>

Thanks superbluehaze!

You are right! Very usefull tips you guys gave me, that's for shure!

The plant is in a 10L pot, is it tiny? I always check the soil and the pot weight before watering...

My next one will have a 18L pot...

Guest superbluehaze

hi mate,

a 10 litre pot should not need to be watered every day. I know you weigh the pots,

but the thing is that it does not have to be much water;

the roots can not be continually wet all the time, if they are they can not get oxygen.

This why watering is such an art for, the roots can not be too wet for too long, nor can they dry our completely either. What a plant will do if it needs water is wilt, which will not harm it too much, especially if you watch it closely, as the lower leaves hang first, long before the whole plant wilts, but too much water around the roots, not only can cause all sorts of strange nutrient deficiencies and slow down growth, but it provides the ideal conditions for root rot, and other nastiness, that will kill a plant very quickly.

Mate, that is your problem, believe me; cut right back on watering, and wait a week or ten days and then if no change try something else. Good luck and happy growing

Superbluehaze, I didn't sayed I'm right and you're not, I was just asking, and want to learn more! So thank you very much, I realy am thankful and do apreciate you're having the time to give me your opinion and "know-how"!

I'll do that, cut back on the water!

I've introduced myself here: http://www.strainhunters.com/portal/node/2160, check it out please. I've leaved some information about the new grower I am. One thing to add to that is the fact that I'm lacking a ph reader and ph up and ph down, so it says a litlle about with what I'm dealing here wen growing...

Thanks again superbluehaze! wink_smile.gif

Guest superbluehaze

I like to help new growers, and the thing with growing is that you always can learn more.

The reason I think it is not a nitrogen deficiency is that nitrogen is mobile in the plant, and when there is a shortage of it, the plant takes the nutrient from the old growth and gives it to the new growth.

This means that the bottom leaves yellow uniformly;

the yellowing on your plant is not uniform but is on both the bottom, middle and top of your plant.

It is not the amount of water in the pot that is critical, but that the roots are continually damp;

this starves them of oxygen, and without oxygen, they can not take in nutrients;

It is also the way the yellowing develops on the leaf too, that tells you to water less.

Put your finger into the soil, and if it is damp at about 3 inches down, then do not water, wait until it is totally dry.

Do not worry about not having a pH pen, as you are using soil, your ph is going to fluctuate anyhow, as the bugs in your soil break down the organic matter in it.

Also, most good hydro fertilizers mix up to around the correct ph when added to tap water.

When I first started, I grew without a ph pen.

Do not water for around 3 to 4 days, and if the yellowing gets worse, then it is not what I think it is, but if it does not, and the plant picks up, by that I mean that it is stretching its leaves out fully and searching for the more light, then you have solved your problem.

In a plant that is being watered too much, the leaves do not stretch right out.

Ahappy plant that is growing fast and is content, will streach its leaves right out as it searches for more light

The damaged leaves may not recover their color, but ithe yellowing should have stopped within a few days or so, and the plant will return to fast growth. />

The plants love silica, and use benificial bacteria; they protect the roots against nasties, and in breaking down organic matter they release oxygen, which is good for the roots.

good luck and happy growing

Thanks a lot superbluehaze!

Ok, 3/4 days without watering then I'll let you know how things are going :D

The bugs you're talking about, what are they? I didn't add none to my soil..

You're the man! Thanks a lot once again for your help!

Seeya soon superbluehaze

Guest superbluehaze

Here this what I mean though this brand is expensive, it is very good:

COBRA

BY CASH CROP/DUTCH GLORY

Cobra Myco / Trichoderma

Cash Crop COBRA is a combination of many different beneficial bacteria and fungi species, which assists a plants growth by stimulating a massive root mass , helps the plant tolerate temperature extremes, nutrient imbalances and drought. Cobra contains 60 different strains of micro-organisms, 29 carefully selected Beneficial fungi,9 Endomycorrhizal, 11 Ectomycorrhizal fungi and 19 strains of Trichoderma bacteria. These micro-organisms clonize the plants roots and then stimulates the roots to grow into the surrounding medium, greatly enhancing the absorptive surface area of the root system,forming an essential link between plant and medium. Also included is a specially formulated root bio-stimulant, Vitamins C & B1, Kelp and Humates.

DIRECTIONS: Foliar Spray: Mix 2grams/litre, Hydroponic application, mix 0.3grams/litre.

Ok, noted :D Thanks superbluehaze!

It's realy expensive for me, but I've take a note of that, a Ph meter, along with Advanced Nutrients Rhino Skin (not for the same purpose of Cobra of course), some things that I see people use and it would be good to have in the future...

Unfortunately I dont know any growers-friends, It would be good, maybe someone would have un old ph meter and some more advices on the spot for me... but well here I'm learning a lot, cant complain realy!..