First timer looking for advice! Dying fan-leaves.

mkqzcc

So.. I'm a first time grower.

The plants are about 4 weeks old and I switched to flowering about a week ago.

One mistake I did right from the start was that I did'nt start "counting days", so unfortunately I dont know the exact age of the plants.

The strain is Skunk #1.

I'm using a 250w HPS.

I have one big fan in the room.

The temperature is around 25-28 c in the day.

The problem i've been having is that the fan-leaves gets these brown / yellow spots on them, and after a while they dry out and die.

When i first noticed this problem I flushed the bigger plant (cuz that was the one with the biggest problem), that did not help at all, the problem continued.

There are a bunch of fan-leaves that I have been forced to cut off since they got so dry that they almost fell off.

It seems that the older and bigger the leaves are the more of this problem they are having.

But as u see in one of the pictures some of the smaller ones are also showing these symptons.

I've read alot about this, and some say it's nute-burn, to small amount of nute, insects, etc etc, and the list goes on.

Can this accur naturally because of flowering, like the plant is deverting it's power to the flowers and does not focus on the fan-leaves?

Any help is appreciated!

post-15245-0-88305300-1342902387.jpg

post-15245-0-39336500-1342902411.jpg

post-15245-0-15958300-1342902427.jpg

post-15245-0-87893700-1342902438.jpg

post-15245-0-23667800-1342902452.jpg

Hmm, I dont check the PH of the water, I use normal tap-water (I live in a country with GOOD (maby the best) tap water :P) and let it stay in the open for about 24 hours so it get richer on oxygen.

The only time I checked the PH was on the soil before I started to grow, and then it where at 6.

Humidity can some times drop as low as 35%, and never higher then 50%. Thats the reason why I have the "sprayer", I use it when humidity drops too low.

I have checked for bugs since day-1, especially spidermites, and I have never seen any on the plant.

There where a time when these small flyes where in the soil, beacuse they always got out of there when I water the plants. I used PYREX-N to get rid of them, and it seemed to work.

I just started using a new nutrient because I realised that the first one I've been using did not have Magnesium (MG) in it. So my guess right now would be magnesium deficiency.

What do you guys think about that?

well then first you need to find a little PH kit to test your water ph, even if you have the best tap water for your body, it won't mean it suits your plants!

You would need a PH more around 6 in your beginning of growth, to end between 6,5 and 7 at end of flow, you're tap water is probably at 7,1 - 7,2.

Second, if you spray your girls,make sure to make it only when lights are off, or are going to be off very soon, not at the beginning of the day the water drops will burn your leaves and makes spot on them like you have. Then your humidity is a little low,if it never went above 50% it is probably the reason why your leaves are dried combined with all the rest.

and think about watching often under your leaves to make sure there is no more traces of bugs, they could hurt the leaves too, and when they come once, they often come back later ^^

Good luck man

• Like 1

Okey, that I will do.

The strange thing though is that the other plant doesent have nearly as much problem as the bigger one.

But I will buy a "PH-kit" and check the water and soil, and try too raise the humidity.

Any ideas how I can raise the humidity? I have like open containers with water in the room, and I spray the floor with water when humidity is too low. I check on them 3-4 times a day.

Thanks for all the help so far! Very much appreciated!

ok good for the spraying ;)

For the humifity, i put a bowl of water and sowkets in it next to the plant to get some humidty in the air, if you got some little money 30€ i think, you can buy a humidifier

And i also put my laundry to dry in the same room to get the air more humid ;)

Good luck man

Country water can sometimes have a high number of Iron or calcium. So you may want to check it. I know that there is Nutrients out there that are for hard water, like well water. I know that General Hydro has one and Ionic too.

Good luck mate !

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

I've gotten a PH tester for the soil (still waiting for the water tester), and the PH is between 6 and 7, I would probably say about 6,4 - 6,5 for the the plant with the most problem and around 6,8 for the one with less problem.

The flowering has really started to shape up, and the problem is not spreading to the flowers atm.

post-15245-0-76153200-1343742492.jpg

post-15245-0-15512500-1343742508.jpg

post-15245-0-44827300-1343742519.jpg

post-15245-0-96603500-1343742530.jpg

• Like 1

yep that is mag this will help

Magnesium is an indispensable element for a.o. plants. In plants, it represents a building block for chlorophyll (leaf green), and therefore, it is essential for photosynthesis. At the same time, magnesium plays an important role in the energy transfer. Together with calcium, it is also a component of tap water, influencing water hardness. Inorganic magnesium fertilisers are produced using the same bases that are used to produce potassium fertilisers.

About magnesium in short

What is it and what does it do? Magnesium is indispensable to plants Represents a building block for chlorophyll Is essential for photosynthesis. What do you see? Rusty brown spots Cloudy, vague yellow spots between the veins. What can you do? Spray with a 2% solution of Epsom salts every 4-5 days during about a week.

infocourier-magnes_text_4.jpg

Symptoms of a deficiency

When there is a shortage, the leaf green in the medium-old leaves under the flowering top will be broken up, and the magnesium will be transported into the young parts of the plant. This breakdown is visible as rusty brown spots and/or vague, cloudy, yellow spots between the veins. A slight shortage of magnesium hardly affects flowering, although the development of the flowers makes the deficiency symptoms worse.

Development of a deficiency

• Signs of a deficiency first appear around the 4th-6th week. Small, rusty brown spots and/or cloudy yellow flecks appear in the middle-aged leaves (under the top of the plant). The colour of the young leaves and the fruit development are not affected.

• The size and number of rust-brown spots on the leaves increase.

• The symptoms spread out over the whole plant, which looks ill. When the shortage becomes acute, the younger leaves are also affected and flower production will be reduced.

Reasons for a deficiency

The magnesium deficiency can occur because uptake is inhibited because of:
  • A very wet, cold and/or acidic root environment.

• A high quantity of potassium, ammonia and/or calcium (for instance high concentrations of calcium carbonate in drinking water, or clay soils rich in calcium) in comparison with the quantity of magnesium.

• A limited root system and heavy plant demands.

• A high EC in the growing medium, which hinders evaporation.

infocourier-magnes_text_3.jpg

Solutions to resolve a deficiency

• When a shortage is diagnosed, the best thing to do is spray with a 2% solution of Epsom salts.

• Fertilisation via the roots: Inorganic: Epsom salts on hydroponics or kieserite (magnesium sulphate monohydrate). Organic: composted turkey or cow manure.

Recovery

Rectify the possible causes: In soil, when the pH is too low (less than 5), use magnesium containing calcium fertilisers. On hydro, temporarily apply a nutrient solution with a higher pH (6.5). When the EC is too high, rinse and/or temporarily feed with drinking water only. When growing indoors, keep the root temperature between 20 - 25 degrees Celsius.

looks like what im goin threw but i waited to long. the flowers dont seem to get any worse but the leafs seem to.

my tap is 7.5 and i wasnt lowering it for reg waters and when i feed it was

goin to around 6.4 but i had way lower reading when i read runoff so in the end it

was the soil i was useing.but a part might be watering with the 7.5 and not adjusting might

have shocked them some.but i adjusted it for reg and feed and the new ones into flower seem nice and green.

just posting cause it looks alot like the prob i had

Thanks for all the answers.

I have all the PH-instruments now, and my tap-water is 7,8.

The soil as I said is at 6,4-6,5 PH.

No no no, no mites at all, check every day.

I will try your solution, MaxGrower. Thats my first guess aswell, and as I said I switched to a nute that have MG. That might not be enough as the problem still accurs.

I will get Epsom salts and try with that.

Thanks!

the leaves do look like there is a spider mite infestation but I will trust your judgement that this is not the case here. I suspect nutrient lockout caused by your high PH levels. I personally would flush for a few days with ph balanced water then gradually re-introduce the nutrients, you could also use an epsom salts flush that will cure any cal/mag deficiencies diluting the epsom salts at a ratio of quarter teaspoon per gallon of water .

• 1 month later...

Second, if you spray your girls,make sure to make it only when lights are off, or are going to be off very soon, not at the beginning of the day the water drops will burn your leaves and makes spot on them like you have. Then your humidity is a little low,if it never went above 50% it is probably the reason why your leaves are dried combined with all the rest.

PS: No I try too avoid spraying the plant it self during the day-time.

This is an urban legend, just had to make an account for the sake of clarification. Frequently, in nature, it actually rains during the day, and the sun is vastly more powerful than whatever HPS you're putting next to it. Mist whenever you damn well please

as you wish man, i tried both, burned my leaves, so don't do it anymore, i'm sorry but if you don't have a sprayer thin enough and an hps at 30-40 cm you have big chances to have marks

Tho, now that the acount is made, use the occasion to check around and maybe stay ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just thought that I would give u guys a report on how the smoke turned out.

The bigger plant that had the most problems came up with smaller buds, and in the end did not give as much as the smaller and healthier plant did.

In total I would say i got about 30-40 grams (buds) from both plants. (dont know if thats much or less)

The smoke is good, and they stink like hell, damn I understand the name "Skunk" now.

The effect is good aswell.

I personally would say this is a good first time grow-op ^^

Thanks for all the help.. Sry no pictures, I smoked most of the buds :spiteful:

Those buds on the pictures are all from the healthiest plant.

Cant really tell u if the buds are compact or not, I have rerely smoked weed. Where I come from there's much more hashish on the street than weed.

But I would guess that they are, since when I break them apart it seems I get a larger quantity.

The buds are kinda small I belive, atleast when I compare to other growers.

I've already planned my next grow though, going to be Super Silver Haze and White Widow.

Maby I'll get some bigger yields there.

Peace!

• Like 1