LST and general training fun :)

gonzosghost

Hi folks, I've been growing out my Afghanis for a while now and thought id tie one down due to undergrowth being explosive. Why waste all those good looking budding sites right? Only ever read about LST never had enough experience or plants to attempt it before.

TrBSIl.jpg

I know I waited a bit too long before I decided to tie down and I also know it's best not to hang over the edge of the pot but it's a first attempt so....whatever , lol. I'm amazed at how much sites this produces. Such fun, training :D

Anyway, I created this thread for all types of manipulation chatter.....LST, FIM, SCROG, SOG, Pruning, Pinching......all that shit :D

Hope to hear from all you scroggers and FIM merchants :D

Peace, Gonzo x

• Like 1

healthy bondaged girl man ;)

I did SCROG on 1 session, and Bending on few sesisons on my first grows cause i ahd few sativas, i enjoyed those times, were making some nice plants, but needs some training to keep the same yeild as other technique, specially for bending not so much for SCROG.

Only thing i regret from SCROG is to have not make separated nets for each girls lol, was a pain in the ass to water, so to the guys that are gonna try this, make separated nets for each girls!!! :D Check bozoph's grow he masters some nice scrog's ;)

• Like 1

I've been giving the SCROG a bit of thought and after reading what you said I've decided to go with just one for fun :D it's my first coco run and I've got all these different setups at once, lol. I can't help myself I get carried away a bit. I love watching weed grow, today I spent three hours in there with a cup of coffee, radio on and a 30x magnifier just staring at them :). Pre-flowers are just starting to show. My other ladies are feminised but the afghans aren't so I'm waiting to see. I hate having to kill any of my plants, male or not I still love em as a plant so chopping seems to strike a sour note. Smoking seeded bud is not my goal so they'll be sacrificed to the gods nonetheless.

Anyway, back on topic, what's the best time to bend for scrogging?

• Like 1

well i'm not an expert on SCROG so i'll tell you what i remember, but check the infos twice you should find many topics on the scrog on the forum ;)

The best way is to settle your net at mini 30cm from the soil, let your girl grow under, and when she starts to reach the net, you slowly pull her back and start to bend her ;)

You can also cut the top of your plant to make the secondary branches grow more vigorously, don't know exactly what stage would be better for the scrog, i would probably do it around 5th or 6th stage, check that on the net if you plan topping ^^

That's more or less the basic, each time your girl grows through the net you pull her back under, be smart in the repartition of your branches so that you don't get stuck when they will stretch ;)

Good luck man

Thanks dude, will give it a go. The shoots on this girl are looking better everyday it'll be time for some more tying soon :) I've just been cutting strips of the black and white plastic sheeting I have for the room. It seems to be tender on her stem.

Will I be able to take cuttings off her once she matures a bit? Not sure about chemical changes in the plant from bending. Will the lower shoots still be rich in rooting hormones or will it be like chopping a top shoot? Chemically I mean ;)

Sorry, I mean will the lower shoots still be viable for cloning considering I've bent her over and they are now chemically top shoots? Lower shoots are rich in rooting hormones and I wondered with the change in chemical balance from bending effect the rooting hormone? Will they still root well?

Thanks for the feedback x

Sweet cheers dude, gonna wait a few more weeks and take a test cutting. Here's her now......

tRkrHl.jpg

The big fan leaves at the top start to droop towards the end of the day. They're on 18/6 and heat remains at 27*c. Pretty sure there's not a nute issue because I've been only giving her 1.0 EC and a weekly nitrozyme feed. Could it be the big top leaves are missing out due to the bending effect. The lower shoots seem to be fine all day so this may be the problem.

Anyone got any idea?

Gonzo :)

• Like 1

I know I hate my girl looking sad :(

Possibly too much, I've made a mix of about 70/30 coco/perlite so I hoped that overwatering wouldn't be a problem but she was originally in peat moss when she was in the garden for a month. (Growth slow throughout) so there is an area with less drainage right in the centre. I also hoped the peat would slowly get replaced or at least mixed with the coco as I water and flush but maybe not by the looks of things.

Will I just wait for the coco to have good dry out first before feeding again? I'm going away all weekend and id like to give her something on Friday morning. I may give her a slight bit of water then but we'll see.

Any feeding schedule suggestions for coco mix? I've got her in an 11ltr container

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Sorry Tokage, forgot to say thanks for the compliment. On the whole I'm quite pleased considering its not a proper LST. She's kind of an experiment. Just to she how the plant reacts etc. I'm not an expert grower so I'm watching and learning the whole time :D

Love it :)

Thanks for the info mate, will lay off the waterings for now.

Well I fed her on Monday and I'm leaving for the weekend. Will she be ok till Monday? She'll probably go longer before drying out. Like I said she's in an 11ltr pot with coco perlite mix and hydroton clay pebbles for mulch. She's about 18in from the 600w dual spec HPS. I think she'll be ok. Gonna get a friend to come in on Saturday night to check them. He has no idea what he's doing though so will be an over the phone info swap if anything's up. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing. I love my babies, lol :D

I just FIM'd my Young Super lemon haze. She's at about 4 internodes up at 16cm tall. Quite a nice little lady, will post a pic when I get back on Monday :D

Wasn't sure if I should top or FIM but decided I don't want to completely chop her. I've been giving her more attention than the others (Afghan and WW x BB). She's a temperamental girl, a tad more sensitive :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my white widow, 1 week into flowering.......

KRRUhl.jpg

I FIM'd her 2 weeks into veg and she has turned into a monster :) After tucking away her fan leaves in veg, her lower branches caught up with the top 4. There's about 10 decent colas now :D. Vegged her for a week longer than I wanted but I've got the head room :) we'll see what happens :D

Any ideas about the lower leaves yellowing?

She's totally different from my other ones.

This one is my favourite though..... (not FIM'd)

IUnJ6l.jpg

f7UhWl.jpg

You can see the difference a FIM'ing makes when you compare the two. Cropping her top just leaves you with more budding sites nearer the light biggrin.png

This ones main cola was pretty close to the same size as the rest until flowering and then it has suddenly popped up. The other one has six colas that have 'popped up' at the same time creating this bush biggrin.png

What about the drooping lower fan leaves. Should I take them off to allow for airflow and mold prevention? I've avoided it on all but my SLH up until now. The WW x BB is prone to hermies (found out after buying seeds) so I've been tryin not to stress them out. Any thoughts? Some swear by it some say otherwise..... Remove fan leaves or...well leave the leaves?...lol wink.png

Lol :D will send you a sample :)

The smaller one has had pride of position directly under the light. She was always smaller though. The FIM'd one has really stretched in the first week. It's hard to maintain the canopy when there's random stretch going on around. Of course I bought the euro reflector (cheapest) and it's got poor light distribution. I've got a cooltube in my veg room with a 400w in it. May swap for this :)

Thanks dust, think I'll give her a trim in the lower regions, lol :)

Here's the afghan I tied down at the beginning of this thread.

BSHqgl.jpg

fmRlil.jpg

I untied her a week before flowering (2 weeks ago) and she's lookin ok. Trimmed her lower branches and shoots that weren't getting enough light. There's heaps but didn't want to take too much. Again, we'll see what happens :D