Pod Leaves Won't Open

bighairy

For the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to grow a White Rhino plant and all three seeds that I have germinated have had the same problem. I follow the germination procedures outlined on the GHS site and everything goes fine for the first few days. The plant takes root but when it tries to break free of the seed pod, there is this inner lining of the pod seems to attach itself to the pod leaves preventing them from opening. For the first plant, I did nothing and it just died. For the second plant, I tried to manually separate the leaves and it also died. My third plant is doing the same thing. Any ideas on what to do?

post-14557-0-12338700-1348325336.jpg

My best suggestion is a magnifying glass and tweezers/surgical scalpel and very carefully remove the layer or cut in between. when I had this problem i did just that remove what i could using the tweezers and then cut if i had too just be careful not to cut into the leaf itself and be very fragile if you feel it pull to the point where you think it will tear try from a different angle or even wait an hour n try again. Once done over a few days the leaves will grow and what is remaining will fall off.

Hope that helps and good luck with ya girl

Peace

Well, I tried. I really did and while it was easy to get the edges removed from the leaves, the central part of the membrane felt like it was welded onto the top of the pod leaves. I couldn't get it to budge without starting to tear the leaves themselves. I let the plant alone and when I got up this morning, it had died. This is the third time this has happened in three attempts to grow a White Rhino. Is this a problem with this strain or did I just get a bad batch of seeds? I seem to have bad luck with GH seeds - I bought a pack of Great White Shark seeds and while the seed pod split, the tap roots never came out and they just got mouldy. I don't mean to hate on GHS but for the amount they charge for seeds, I expect better results.

post-14557-0-33411500-1348423840.jpg

sorry to hear about your badluck with the seeds man. did you try to send a mail to the customer service explaining your case? Usually they guarantee seed germination, in your case they have germinated, but if you consider you had bad luck with the GWS too they MIGHT do something ;)

But it is strange that you have such problem with almost all your seeds, i've never had any problem like this in many years, and maaany seeds with GH, i know it can happen tho just saying you're really unlucky!

I see your stem seem to be overwatered, are you sure that your water cycle is good? and that the leaf problem is really the source of the death?

Good luck man

I think I should clarify my comments regarding my luck with GH seeds. It has not been a complete failure; in fact, I have had some great successes and some really excellent grow experiences with them. They usually germinate, which is what they guarantee, and I have no complaints about that. You could even argue my GWS seeds germinated since the shells split. Here is a complete breakdown of my grow attempts (with reasons for failure in parenthesis):

Green-o-matic 4/5 success (the failure was a shell that would not crack enough for the leaves to get out)

Great White Shark 0/5 success (all shells cracked but the tap root would not come out)

Hawaiian Snow 1/1 success

Super Silver Haze 1/1 success

Lemon Skunk 0/1 success (the seed shell would not release the plant)

White Rhino 0/4 success (one seed germinated but the tap root would not come out, the other three died the way this one did)

Big Bang 0/1 success (the seed would not germinate)

Bubba Kush 2/4 success (shells cracked but no tap root)

So there it is: 22 seeds which produced 8 plants. I guess I am just mostly unlucky with GH seeds. It too bad - I love their videos.

how are you "keeping" them once sprouted? - in a propagator/humidity dome? ive found this problem with other seeds in the past if theres is not enough moisture its nearly impossible to attempt to remove anything without damaging it

Whenever i crack seeds i now remove any seed cases asap( as soon as there up and if the moisture and plant allows it -some you have to wait the next day or so but you can feel if its going to slide off or need the slightest of pressure to remove)

I always soak for 24 hours in a glass of water then straight into root riot cubes in a dome - seems to work for me now- still have the odd one that takes longer to remove the seed case but i guess it luck of the draw sometimes?

• Like 1

What I did was soak the seed in a glass of water for 24 hours. Then I put it between two moist paper towels on a plate until the shell cracked and the tap root came out. I then planted the seed into the medium and placed a humidity dome over the top. The seedling was forming nicely, the shell had dropped off, and all that remained was for the pod leaves to open. The plant was working the way it was supposed to. There is a membrane inside the shell that normally comes off with the shell when it drops off. Instead, it remained attached to the pod leaves and ultimately killed the plant (the plant would have died anyway even if I hadn't touched it).

Luck of the draw? Three seeds did exactly the same thing - I don't think luck has much to do with it. I doubt I will bother with the other two in the pack - my time is much better spent trying another seed company.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry you feel this way about GHS, but have to be brutally honest with you and say it sounds like grower error not gentetic failure. In the instance of the seed membrane choking the seedling, this could've been resolved by gently teasing the membrane from the seedling it should come free with very little effort thus ensuring a healthy seedling. This problem is not exclusive to gh genetics and I myself have seen and dealt with this exact problem many times with stock from many seedbanks over the years. I say if you choose to switch seedbanks due to this problem then you are absolutely mental. Just try and try again Greenhouse has many superb strains to avoid them would be criminal it's all too easy to blame the strain for failures incurred, when about 80% of the time it is down to our own errors that such mistakes happen.Peace

• Like 1

just had this problem few days ago (hearbieheadshop free seed), i sprayed alot of water in the dome and left it for 12 hours, i could then gently pull that membrane of. i forced the pod leafs apart and now i see tiny real leafs just hope the long root will not couse problems as it shoot away those 12 hours and is about 10 cm long.so thanks all don't think i would have solved it without this tread :D