Second grow - 600W HPS + LED's - GHSC: Fully automatic - NL. Sweet Mango, Super Critical

Smokeythabear

Grow Journal #2 - Fully Automatic!

Hi everyone, finally got the room cleaned up and ready for my second growing attempt. Going with all GHSC strains and all autoflowering strains. I would like to be able to recover some of my losses from the powdery mildew that hit 2 of my scrog plants from my last grow and thought now would be a great time to try growing some autos! So here we go :spiteful:

Seeds:

All GHSC – 3 Northern Lights Auto

- 3 Sweet Mango Auto

- 3 Super Critical Auto

Growing media:

Started in peat starter pots – will transplant directly to 12 liter pots once rooted in peat pots

Pro Mix High Porosity/Grodan growcubes/Hydrotron clay pellets @ approx. 40/40/20

Lighting:

Seedlings - 2 x T5 Sunblaster until ready to be transplanted and moved into tent

Short veg period – 2 x T5 Sunblasters + 3 x LED (rated equivalent of 250W hps sodium each)

Flower – 600W Hortilux Super HPS + 3 x LEDS

Nutrients & Additives:

- Reverse osmosis water+

- Seedling transplant: Botanicare ZHO (Rhizosphere root inoculant w/trichoderma & mychorrizae)

- Veg: Cal Mag, DNF Veg line, DNF Enhance (pine oil additive), Advanced Nutrients B-52, potassium silicate

- Flower: Cal-Mag, DNF Flowering line, DNF Enhance, potassium silicate, (maybe some Advanced Nutrients Overdrive not sure yet with them being autoflowers)

Also:

- Will also use CO2 producing pads

- Enhance will be used as a foliar spray as well to protect against mold/mildew etc

09/10/2012 - update

- 28 hours after planting seeds in jiffy’s one Super Critical sprouted so far already!

- Watered one sweet mango that was drying out a bit on the bottom with 5.8 ph’d R/O with 0.30 mL/L cal-mag- (1/4 strength..since tap water has dissolved solids I wanted to give a tiny bit of what would be in tap water)

- Temp in dome 27 celsius - partially opened dome now that first seed sprouted

I will try and keep up on this journal best as possible being busy with school and all...I need to learn how to update without being so damn descriptive/long winded lol.

Peace, happy growin & tokin :)

post-14382-0-25425800-1349816691.jpg

post-14382-0-16451200-1349816692.jpg

post-14382-0-08353300-1349816693.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the support and kind words Dust & Toke..and no I'm not going to scrog these ones, but there will definitely be some LST of some sort going on..nothing elaborate..just some tying down of branches to make the canopy even and redirect some hormones. I will most likely go back to scrog for my next grow if I go with the Holy Grail Kush and the Super Lemon Haze though.

It's been 48 hours and all S. Criticals are up, all S. Mango's and one NL so far..7 outta 9.

Just picked up a humidifier for the grow room that kills mold/bacteria with UV light inside the water chamber, can be digitally set for 60% humidity down to 40%, and filters the air as it is sucked into the unit for spores etc as well. It was on sale and it was the last one left..got lucky :)

Peace, happy growin/tokin!

• Like 2

Thanks Ghost :)

Ok so it's only been 84 hours now since I planted the seeds in the jiffy's and I thought I would update with a few pics and words since they are doing so well, so far. I knew auto's grew fast but I'm thinkin the GHSC genes are showing there stuff again.

I am a bit concerned with two of the mangos, they are doing great for height, and their first leaves are coming out but the leaves seem stunted and the very tips are slightly white. I'm thinking maybe I'm splashing them a bit too much with the R/O + Cal Mag when watering the pellets, the cotyledons look super green possibly also from the Cal Mag, I thought that 1/4 strength (0.30 mL/L) would be about the amount that would be in tap/rain water seeing that it's not overly strong..am I using too much too soon? and is this whats burning the tips of the tender new first leaves?? If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to comment.

Thought for the most part I would just kinda copy and paste my notes from my actual journal..I will try and leave anything too mundane out..but thought maybe something might be helpful, or at the very least entertaining, hope I don't bore anyone too much.

10/10/2012

- 48 hours and 7 outta 9 seeds up, only 2 NL’s left to pop

- Taproots are already showing through bottom of jiffy’s!

- removed the dome and kept heat mat on with seedling tray raised – Temp @ 25-26 C, Humidity @ 50% with humidifier turned on, goal 60% humidity

- T5 about 15 cm above plants, will lower once they are a day or so older

- watering as needed with r/o + ¼ strength Cal- Mag plus @ 5.8 Ph

11/10/2012

- 72 hrs and 8 outta 9 seeds sprouted..still waiting on one more Northern Lights that’s just peaking its head up now

- Babies that are up are growing VERY quickly – tallest is a super critical already at 4.5 cm

- Not very happy with humidifier that I was so happy about :P so far it can’t seem to get humidity above 51%..junk..may return it for another model

post-14382-0-68915700-1350010140.jpg

post-14382-0-54559400-1350010141.jpg

post-14382-0-19029800-1350010142.jpg

post-14382-0-81727000-1350010142.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Tokage, I've used the jiffy's twice now, both times I've grown lol. So I'm definitely not an expert on them BUT.. so far so good..as of this morning the 9th and final baby was born and I have 100% germination again. As for stretching, I didn't have a problem last time with it, this time so far though the super c.'s especially are stretching more. The tallest is already 5 cm as of this morning! But this could also be that they are fast growing autos? As for adding more around the top of the seedling..I hear what your saying and you could maybe soak an extra pellet or two, rip apart the pellet once wet and use the peat to pack around the seedlings base..but I don't know if it would stay really well without just falling off the top once it dried a bit. You kinda need the mesh net to hold in the peat. I've read that it's bad to germinate in the jiffy's because of pH issues with the peat moss but I just soak them in 5.5 ph'd water then gently squeeze them out before planting.

I looked at the two mango's with the white leaf tips under 60x micro and it isn't a fungus..phew!! BUT they look bleached white..could I maybe have put the T5 sunblaster too close as they were opening up and bleached em? I'm thinking of moving them towards the perimeter of the seedling tray until they recover..any thoughts anyone?

Thank you for your time. Seems like jiffy´s do a good job. Going to try them out

:)

No worries bro..you've given me lots of your time and help, happy I can give back a little.

beautiful babies man, looking happy and green :D

Soon you should have some nice roots coming off those jiffy's ;)

Thanks for the news keep themc oming,

Have a good grow

Thanks Dust! Some already have up to 4 roots growing through the bottom area, I'm gonna have to get the 12L ready sooner than later I think!! Damn these babies grow fast..tallest is now 6 cm. The two with the white leaf tips seem to be growing out of the issue just fine. Maybe the temp got a big high with the heating mat, left the dome on too long (I've read germination techniques that indicate a humidity dome and soaking seeds for 24 hrs first is a bad idea and can promote rot/fungus etc...I try to keep a close eye on them and remove the dome periodically and crack it open once one has sprouted, removing it completely once a couple are up, anyone else have experience germinating in a similar way?) too much water, light..not sure, but they seem to be recovering. Out of the 3 NL's one is doing super good, one finally opened..it had height, but the leaves hadn't wanted to open until this morning, it looks like it will be fine. But the 3rd NL isn't looking so hot...it sprouted finally, but remains closed and curled and doesn't look like it will make it. I will give it a bit more time but I may have to hold a funeral for it :( Oh well, I still have 2 more NL seeds, I will prob just pop another one into a jiffy.

Peace all!

They're so cute when they're small :). In 2 weeks they will you'll hardly recognize them anymore!

Have fun on this grow!

Thanks bro :) Ya being pretty new at this it still amazes me how fast they grow. I swear if I spend an hour or so in the room messing around setting up the tent or whatnot I can actually watch them grow, lean, stretch..especially if it is the 1st hour when the lights come on. I find myself looking for reasons to spend time in the room with them even when I know I have other crap to do lol :P

Hey fellow ganja lovers, I know the babies are just a few days old and for most of you you've seen one baby you've seen a thousand, but for anyone who cares I wrote this all in my journal anyways so here it is with a few pics :)

13/10/2012 – 4 days since first sprout

- Tallest super c. 6 cm, with a sweet mango tied with it..only been 3 days since the birth of the sweet mango, it has grown and average of 2 cm/day!!

- A few growing second true leaves already

- roots showing through many baby bottoms (hehe) with multiple roots through some – will need to get tent ready for transplanted babies

- 2nd NL opened up completely to reveal smallish white first leaves like the others with the same characteristic, even a bit smaller, but good height, and I think like the others it will do well with a bit of time

- 3rd NL may make it yet, it seems to be trying to open, time will tell

My two hypotheses about the whitish first leaf tips are that one of or a combination of things may have happened keeping in mind that the seeds that took the longest to germinate had correspondingly smaller, and whiter leaves as they sprouted and the cotyledon opened (or I might be totally wrong) :

• The addition too early of Cal Mag Plus into their water, even at only 0.30 mL/L of R/O water, was a bad idea and the slight amount of Cal Mag accumulated in the unopened seeds
  • When the heat mat got the temp a little too warm for a few hours it may have been before the ones with the white leaf tips had poked their head up and caused the damage

Either way gonna correct both next germination

- Light height is 10 cm

- Temperature daytime: 26 deg . C., night 22 deg

- Humidity 50-52% - would still prefer it around 60% but not bad

Peace all :good:

post-14382-0-37809600-1350182406.jpg

post-14382-0-28773800-1350182407.jpg

post-14382-0-14501600-1350182408.jpg

post-14382-0-82207900-1350182408.jpg

post-14382-0-61958000-1350182409.jpg

Like Dust said some really nice Strains in those Packages. Always loved the Nl back in the Days. Classic Smoke and im ecxited how the Autos will Turn into. defo on my to grow list also the Super Critical Auto as i heard a lot gd bout the Critical Mass Genes. Will have a look on your Report greetz Urban Ninja

I see hundreds of those a week and i would not mind hundred more. You got quality photos and a easy english. On top of that some really healthy looking kids. So yeah, i could def see more of them!

I would not worry to much about the "white spots" I have seen plenty of deformed girls in my day´s with all kinds of spots. 99% of them got better as soon they had some real roots.

yeah like tok said, quality Shots man!!

Thanks for the news of those babies they are thriving ;)

Keep those nice updates coming!

HAve a good grow

Like Dust said some really nice Strains in those Packages. Always loved the Nl back in the Days. Classic Smoke and im ecxited how the Autos will Turn into. defo on my to grow list also the Super Critical Auto as i heard a lot gd bout the Critical Mass Genes. Will have a look on your Report greetz Urban Ninja

nice little babies!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Much appreciated :) urbanninja and dodo420 great to meet you guys and thanks for the comments! Urban I'm excited too especially being sort of the next generation of auto's...the super critical is definitely up there for anticipation..GHSC site ranks it's potency as top notch!

I transplanted them two nights ago, with the help of some great advice from Greeno..THANKS GREENO! and they are thriving so far it seems. He agreed that I should get them into bigger pots asap..so after only 8-9 days since sprouting off they went into bigger pots and into the tent with the 3 LED panels. I will have an update with pictures as soon as I can..got a busy weekend!

Quick note for those who hung out for my first grow..they Moby Dick 7 weeks from harvest continues to cure beautifully..I can really tell the difference between the two MD plants now with one of them having a VERY psychedelic effect to it :)

PEACE!

• Like 1

Alright, so it's been about 2 weeks since the babies sprouted and I think things are going well so far. Here's everything that's been happening, again I've just pretty much posted my personal journal that I try to keep up on as much as possible.

Posted pics, some of the transplant and some taken today, and had to post a few pictures of the bubble bag hash I made last night from a moby dick (all bud..about 60 g's) from my last/first grow. As you can see it is VERY pure and stretches like taffy..73 and 25 micron bags first batch. The effects are unbelievable with a very uplifting body high and it bubbles away to nothing..it is definitely the strongest, best tasting hash I have every tried..and first sativa hybrid hash ever..all I can say is holy f*^kin WOW!! Amazing smooth fruity taste even in a pipe :)

Oh ya, rescued a 9 month old orange tabby cat from the local animal shelter, we named him Kush Kitty..Kush for short lol. Gotta say, one of my favourite cats I've ever had..must be the name, thinks he's a dog.

Anyways, on to current events!

Oh..gotta mention I'm super stoked for the upcoming contest!! What a great idea! Hope I made it in time to get to try some awesome new strains :)

14/10/2012

- Lots of roots starting to show quickly..transplanting should occur in next few days

- Second true leaves growing on most plants

- Water/nute mix going to start @ 0.25mL/L Cal-Mag + `DNF Gro A&B @ 0.25 mL/L each + DNF Green @ 0.50 mL/L pH’d @ 5.7 (all concentrations are very diluted and conservative I think..with second leaves starting I want to give them something to eat)

- Had to throw out the 3rd NL as it would not open..R.I.P. little one

18/10/2012

- Transplanted the 8 seedlings into 11L containers w/ZHO - transplant went well!

- Placed in tent with the 3 LED panels & a fan oscillating gently on them

- Activated and hung CO2 pad

Procedure:

1. Prepared 18 liters of light nute mix with r/o water+ pH’d to 5.6

- Cal-Mag plus @ 0.30 mL/L

- DNF Gro A @ 0.50 mL/L

- DNF Gro B @ 0.50 mL/L

- DNF Enhance @ 0.50 mL/L

1. Rinsed hydrotron clay pellets in 5.5 pH water
  2. Soaked rockwool grow cubes in 5.5 pH water for 45 minutes, drained cubes
  3. Mixed 50/50 rockwool cubes with Pro-Mix HP in 12 liter bucket
  4. Added nute mix until medium was saturated but not soggy & mixed well
  5. Lined bottom of 11 Liter pots with hydrotron
  6. Added soiless mix and dug small hole for peat pellet/seedling
  7. Sprinkled ¼ tsp as per directions of Botannicare ZHO root inoculant (mychorrizae, trichoderma, amino acid) into hole
  8. Cut top ¼ of peat pellet mesh away and watered with nute mix before placing into the hole and covered with soiless before watering around root mass again

- Room temperature range 23 – 27 degrees C RHumidity: 52-60 %

22/10/2012 – seedlings are 12 days old

- 4 days after transplant and the babies are growing up really quickly!

- Some are starting their 4th set of leaves.

- Added the two T5 Sunblasters for some extra light and different spectrum – wonder when best time to add 600W HPS is? Need to figure out.

- Still looking good for water/nutes

- Sprayed with Enhance pine additive @ 0.50 mL/L, ph’d to 7.1

23/10/2012

- Seeing a big growth spurt, internodes starting to stretch and stem is growing thicker

- Colour is a nice green in all plants, even the spotty one is coming around nicely

- Foliar sprayed with Enhance again

- Rotating plants daily to give fair exposure to different spectrums and intensities, having a bit of a difficult time with big pots getting them close together to get maximum light, but I think there’s enough light in there for their needs.

- Getting an air cooled horizontal reflector in next couple days to replace vertical reflector and will want to get the 600W in there sooner than later I think

- sprayed with enhance

24/10/2012

- tallest plant is a really nice looking super critical @ 12 cm as of 4:30 pm

- secondary growth starting & calyxes growing very quickly already

- sprayed with enhance 4-1-1 (was thinking of foliar feeding with B-52 (2-1-4) but increased potassium in the seedling stage is supposed to increase chances of males while increased nitrogen is supposed to increase the chance of females - Jorges Cervates, Medical growers bible) may just leave the B-52 outta this grow.

post-14382-0-65266900-1351114943.jpg

post-14382-0-49371000-1351114944.jpg

post-14382-0-73301800-1351114945.jpg

post-14382-0-08352200-1351114948.jpg

post-14382-0-77987100-1351114948.jpg

post-14382-0-38576200-1351114949.jpg

post-14382-0-29530100-1351114950.jpg

post-14382-0-10034300-1351114951.jpg

post-14382-0-47247100-1351114968.jpg

post-14382-0-31478300-1351114969.jpg

post-14382-0-20055400-1351114970.jpg

• Like 2

nice man lovely hash and babies growing!!

love the color your hash has, and texture seems smooth on the pics too i like it ^^

And about the babies they look all happy and i wish the best to all of them under those LED ;)

Have a good grow and thanks for making a journal!!

nice man lovely hash and babies growing!!

love the color your hash has, and texture seems smooth on the pics too i like it ^^

And about the babies they look all happy and i wish the best to all of them under those LED ;)

Have a good grow and thanks for making a journal!!

Thanks Dust..first to reply again, I'm gonna start keeping track of how many posts you reply to first and get some kind of award or something arranged for you LOL.

Ya it's hard to believe there are only 6 days in between the first pictures in the 11 liter pots and the latest ones today. I am stunned by the speed of the growth of auto's. At the same time I think to myself "Man..they only have 10 weeks total max growing time, I hope they have time to grow" lol. From your experience is this about typical growth for 2 weeks, are they behind, ahead? Sorry, just a bit anxious.

Also, any thoughts anyone on when to get the 600W HPS in there? Would too early hurt growth at all or should I get it in there ASAP to take advantage of max light output?

I'm glad you liked the hash pics, I tried to keep the cordless drill at a fairly low speed to as not to agitate it too much and end up with less pure product..for the 2nd run I will probably mix the crap outta it and get the most I can outta it :P

• Like 1

hey man, about the size, it's pretty much normal, i found out personally that led are taking a little longer than reular HID or CFL lights don't know why, maybe a diferent type of growth. but about the 600w at 2 weeks you can add it, keep it pretty high to make sure they don't get too much heat for the first weeks and then when it's strong get it closer ;)

Good luck man!

• Like 1

hey man, about the size, it's pretty much normal, i found out personally that led are taking a little longer than reular HID or CFL lights don't know why, maybe a diferent type of growth. but about the 600w at 2 weeks you can add it, keep it pretty high to make sure they don't get too much heat for the first weeks and then when it's strong get it closer ;)

Good luck man!

Awesome, thanks for the info. I added my two T5 Sunblasters as well 2 nights ago to get more light and different spectrum in. I shoulda added them right from the start but got sidetracked with life lol. Ya the LEDS I have seem to be good as supplementary lighting, but as a primary grow light they just aren't strong enough for the plants needs. NOT saying that there aren't other great new LED technologies and lights out there, or that you can't grow with them, just that mine aren't up to my standards of trying to grow AAA quality cannabis all by themselves.

I should have the 600W in there by tomorrow evening..thanks again for the advice bro!

• Like 1

One more question if you have time Dust..and thanks again..I'm monopolizing your knowledge :) Since transplanting them into the 11L 6 days ago I haven't watered them since as they haven't seemed to need it by the soil moisture and pot weight, does that sound normal? I keep checking frequently. My theory is that with the medium being just moist enough that the roots will grow to seek out more moisture...without of course letting the medium dry up too much. Does this sound about right?

Or should I be feeding them more in smaller amounts? I was just looking at greeno's last greenomatic and at 10 days they looked much more developed, I know I shouldn't base my growth on that monster but...lol. Maybe I should have cut the biodegradable mesh from around the jiffy's completely..I read that most people just leave it on as the roots simply grow through, but maybe that is holding them up a bit? So many variables..so much paranoia LOL