*COMPLETE* Smokey's Yin-Yang (Trainwreck & SLH) Powderfeed SCROG - 600W HPS + 4 x LEDs

Smokeythabear

Hello friends! I'm almost finished my autoflower grow and just can't wait any longer to get my Cup journal started. Especially since I picked up the seeds 2 days ago and my "secret weapons" shipment that I ordered from Holland on Friday, showed up here in Canada by UPS today :) Talk about fast!

After the success that I saw switching to the Powderfeed with my auto's about 1/2 way through the grow, I decided to add to the free 1 kg of Hybrid Powderfeed that GHSC generously sent me (to be used for the Trainwreck during flowering) by purchasing 1 kg of Mother's Powderfeed for both strains for vegetative growth & 1 kg of Sativa (called "Long Flowering" for Canada & the USA customers lol) for the Super Lemon Haze plants during flowering.

As you can see in the picture, they also kindly and generously sent me a free hat (my first GHSC item!) after I spoke with them by phone when my dumb ass (see also stoned) accidentally clicked and ordered 2 bags of Mother Powderfeed by mistake :P I have to say that the guys at the Powderfeed store were more than friendly and easy to deal with. Thanks Mike, and thanks to the kind gentleman who answered my call, in Dutch, and got a good laugh when I innocently asked if he spoke English and then replied in perfect English, "Why yes of course" LOL.

Oh boy..most Dutch speak English don't they? I can be so ignorant sometimes :P I thought many did but.. :P

I need to thank Bigbrown for the "Yin-Yang" name, when I mentioned the strains I was thinking he said something about it being a real Yin-Yang grow, and he's right with two powerful strains at very opposite ends of the effects spectrum :)

My plans so far are to germinate 6 seeds, 3 from each strain, grow them all out until they are ready to transplant into the 23 liter containers and go into the scrog keeping the 2 best from each strain and culling the other 2. I'm also thinking of doing a comparison with some plants receiving only the Powderfeed & the others the Powderfeed plus a few additives but I'm not 100% sure how I want to do that with 3 plants from each strain or exactly what additives I want to use. I might try just Powderfeed on 1 plant from each strain and additives on the other 2 plants for vegging, then move to 1 plant from each strain receiving only Powderfeed and the other 1 from each strain Powderfeed plus additives once they move into the 23 L pots. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please feel free to voice them :)

I'm hoping to see/show that while the plants with additives may do a little better, there is not a huge difference between them and that the increased ease of use, and lower cost of using just the Powderfeed makes it an awesome product. But we will have to see, the purely Powderfeed plants may even outperform the plants with additives..that would be cool!! What I'm really hoping that I see that purchasing all of these additives and mixing them is a waste of my time and money :) But I'm a tinker, I just have to screw with stuff and try and make it a little better lol :P

I'm not germinating today, germination date is January 2nd, same date as the harvest of my 3 remaining autos which I will hang to dry in the grow tent since it will not be in use until the SLH & Trainwreck babies grow bigger (and since it has a carbon filter!). I would start them right away but my seedling area right now is in the same room as my veg/flowering tent and it is at about 30-32% rH right now to finish flowering. So just before they are done I will be cranking up the 9 gallon humidifier shown in the picture that I just purchased specifically for this purpose to get rH to about 60% which will be perfect for a nice slow dry of the 3 plants from my last grow, and high enough for seedlings to start off comfortably.

More pictures and details about gear and nutrients will follow with germination pictures next post which should be Jan 03 or 04th. I am picking up a few new things..an intake fan for the tent, an EC meter, and a 4th LED for vegetative growth and supplementary flowering lighting in the tent for sure.

So that being said here are a few pictures of awesome GHSC products to start of this grow journal, as well as the awesome new Bob Marley shirt I got as a Christmas gift :)

Best of luck to all growers and friends!

PEACE

EDIT: Ya I just realized I put the wrong package of seeds in front of the wrong Powderfeed..in case anyone is concerned that I may not know which one to use with what strain :P LOL

post-14382-0-80743200-1356987692.jpg

post-14382-0-86071400-1356987693.jpg

post-14382-0-89074300-1356987695.jpg

post-14382-0-07785300-1356987697.jpg

post-14382-0-92593800-1356987697.jpg

post-14382-0-12126500-1356987699.jpg

Edited by Smokeythabear
  • Like 8

Guest specter

It would be interesting to see powerfeed vs. additives vs. water. Has the powerfeed been FDA approved?

Edited by specter

eehm, where to begin...

hi smokey, new year new grow, that is some precise timing mate. For both first of all best of luck and most of pleasure...

After that nice job on the automatic grow, i am very interested in this now.

Trainwreck GHS is a strain i sure have an eye on after the K-train i did + ordered again :D

SLH is off list and in grow + still in stock.

So what should i write ? Nice selection ? Could be my selection ... :D that says it proper i guess

So far i can see no need to try anything else than the powderfeed. Sure a compare of things is always a "+" for a thread like this.

But if i see my development on the PF so far i am glad to feed it to everyone inside :D or lets say as a plant lover i'd feel sorry for the no PF getters maybe :D

One more thing about the powderfeed: You forgot the indica muahahahahaa

Had a pretty similar experience with english in the netherlands too years ago. @ Shopping tour with girlfriend.

I was used to stumble around with my mixed germ-dutch, wich was btw terrible to that time. When my girl wanted or needed some she did not even ask if the other side understand, just started in english. Shop workers switched without any noticable reaction time to english...

She got her help and i thought to myself, that was easy...

Get the seeds out now....wanna see some plants :D

world-peace

• Like 1

nice strains that you picked and good to hear about the good service you received.

good luck with the cup and have a good grow

Thanks for stopping by p0th34d, ya wanted a strong Indica and strong Sativa & I thinkI will be happy the strains I chose for my wants/needs/desires :)

Welcome to the contest man.

Good luck with your report !

Cheers.

ps: Nice t-shirt man.

Thanks Fran.gh, happy to finally get started! Ya I half want to wear the shirt everyday and half want to frame it..one of my favorites :)

It would be interesting to see powerfeed vs. additives vs. water. Has the powerfeed been FDA approved?

Hi Specter, I agree that would be interesting and a good comparison but I want to stick to a soil-less growing media and that would mean I would have to also use soil for the vs. water. I could do this and it's a good idea but with time issues right now and needing to keep things a bit simple I won't be able to do this but thanks for the idea man. I've come up with a decent way to show and compare powderfeed alone to Powderfeed + nutrient that isn't perfect but should work out nicely. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure about FDA approval for the Powderfeed in the USA..I know I've had no issues with the border here. If you go on the powderfeed website and throw them an email they should be able to answer that I would think.

Very good man gonna be a nice grow 2 nice strain with the good feeding they will love it :D :D

Thanks for making a grow journal and best of luck in the cup!! :)

Have a good grow

Hiya Dust! Ya if the results from the Powderfeed plus my autos is any indication they are definitely going to love the good feeding :) Thanks for stopping by and wishing me luck!

Nice One Smokey ! Will be pullin up a chair to catch the show - good luck

Thanks Kalli..happy to see you here as well :)

Good start up Smokey - will watch carefully . good luck in 2013

BTW a Killer T--shirt - wished I had one of those myself with a suiting cap - You#e settled man.

Thanks for the nice words man :) Best of luck to you as well and a happy 2013! I did wish and wish to Santa for one and this is proof that he is real like I've been saying all along :santaclaus::lol:

What a nice start man! You know i wish you the best of luck!

I'll be chilling with ya ofc, & cool to see this good preparation dude,

cya around :D

Thanks again for the cool name for my grow dude!! And thanks for the kind words. I wish you all the best in 2013 & I hope things are looking upwards bro! Keep your head high :biggrin:

eehm, where to begin...

hi smokey, new year new grow, that is some precise timing mate. For both first of all best of luck and most of pleasure...

After that nice job on the automatic grow, i am very interested in this now.

Trainwreck GHS is a strain i sure have an eye on after the K-train i did + ordered again :D

SLH is off list and in grow + still in stock.

So what should i write ? Nice selection ? Could be my selection ... :D that says it proper i guess

So far i can see no need to try anything else than the powderfeed. Sure a compare of things is always a "+" for a thread like this.

But if i see my development on the PF so far i am glad to feed it to everyone inside :D or lets say as a plant lover i'd feel sorry for the no PF getters maybe :D

One more thing about the powderfeed: You forgot the indica muahahahahaa

Had a pretty similar experience with english in the netherlands too years ago. @ Shopping tour with girlfriend.

I was used to stumble around with my mixed germ-dutch, wich was btw terrible to that time. When my girl wanted or needed some she did not even ask if the other side understand, just started in english. Shop workers switched without any noticable reaction time to english...

She got her help and i thought to myself, that was easy...

Get the seeds out now....wanna see some plants :D

world-peace

Thanks for the kind words and luck bro! Ya I'm going to give all plants the Powderfeed..just some will get additives as well :) Like you said I wouldn't want to "deprive" the younglings of such good food!

Hahaha ya nevermind, I almost ending up with 2 bags of Mothers and NO Sativa for my stoner ass..good thing I noticed my mistake in time :P The Indica will come sometime in the future I'm sure lol. I hear ya..the autos loved the Hybrid, turned around my sickly slow to flower sweet mango and turned her into a giant..I can imagine if I would have used the Powderfeed from the start!! Ahh but that was then and this is now :)

Funny story about you and your gf man..I really wish I was able to switch between so many languages. Here in Canada we're taught English and French mainly, and depending on where you live in the country, some barely can speak any French at all..and in other parts like the province of Quebec, there are many who don't speak any English at all!

I really had a tough time deciding between a few different strains..also considered K-Train, Exodus Cheese, Cheese, & Ladyburn1974 for indica's & Jack Herrer and AH#3 for sativas..all are supposed to be good for scrogging and I'm sure all will be grown in the future at some point :good:

I´m all up for it! Been waiting to see you start(again). At least now you got plenty of feed!

Most people speaks English from Holland and is easy to get a long with. And GHSC always take cares of their customers ;)

Be back soon with the start, i be sitting around,.,, here looks like a good spot, move over Dust(fat ass) you taken the whole sofa :P And who got smelly feet ???

Hahaha :sarcastic: ...ya Dust takes up lots of space..he is everywhere man!! And that's not smelly feet that's just Greeno hangin roung rollin some Cheese joints lol

ya you didn't have too long to wait I was much more anxious than you to get this grow started trust me! Ya I'm real excited about the PF and starting my grow with it. One of the hydro store owners is interested in the PF too..he got a sample of it recently and after seeing the auto's wants to see how well it does with a full grow. It would be awesome to get some distributorship over here in Canada :) GHSC couldn't have been more friendly, a really positive experience..I wanted to hang out on the phone and chill but the long distance on my mobile to Amsterdam is crazy $$ lol

Thanks for grabbing a seat brother your very welcome here :imsohappy:

OK seeds have been soaked and planted and now just waiting on some baby heads to pop up :) Here are a few pictures and details..oh yes you know you're gonna get details with me :P

Seeds:

3 Super Lemon Haze

3 Trainwreck

** 6 seeds will be germinated while only 4 will be chosen to move up to the 23 L pots and be grown out in the scrog tent

Growing media:

Jiffy™ Peat starter pots – will transplant to 4 L pots once rooted in peat pots

4L & 23 L pots - Pro Mix™ High Porosity/Grodan™ growcubes/Hydrotron™ clay pellets @ approx. 40/40/20

Lighting:

Seedlings :

Sunblaster™ T5 fluorescent (may install a second) until ready to be transplanted and moved into 1.3M x 1.3M x 2M tent

Vegetation:

4 x 28W Sunshine Systems™ LED’s (rated to equivalent of 250W hps sodium each)

Flower

600W Hortilux Super HPS bulb w/cool tube reflector run by Hydrosun™ magnetic ballast (may upgrade to digital ballast during grow) + 4 x LED’s

Water, Nutrients & Additives:

Seedling transplant: All plants will receive Botanicare™ ZHO (Rhizosphere root inoculant w/trichoderma & mychorrizae) at transplant to 3.5 L & to 23 L pots

Water & Nutrients:

- Initial water NO NUTES: Spring water w/290 ppm dissolved solids pH’d to 6.0

- All plants will receive (exact formulas will be stated later) – R/O water + Botanicare™ Cal-Mag Plus (because of reverse osmosis water) + GHSC™ Mother’s Powderfeed.

- Trainwreck’s & SLH’s #1 & #2 will receive additives during vegetation as well as the GHSC™ Powderfeed (DNF™ Enhance pine oil additive, Advanced Nutrients™ B-52, & potassium silicate) & the top 4 plants will move into 23 L pots and into the scrog tent. If the plants receiving just Powderfeed from veg outgrow the additives plants and make it into the 23 L pots then I will continue to use just Powderfeed on them & 1 from each strain will continue to receive additives + Powderfeed (Sativa for SLH & Hybrid for Trainwreck). If all 4 plants end up being “additives” plants I will continue with the additives until flowering and then chose 1 plant from each strain to use only Powderfeed during flowering with the remaining plant from each strain receiving Powderfeed + additives (DNF™ Enhance, potassium silicate, Advanced Nutrients™ Overdrive, DNF™ Carbo Logic)

A little confusing, and not a perfect comparison but it should still provide an idea of what the Powderfeed alone can do in both vegetative and flowering stages.

- Will also use ZEO2™ CO2 producing pads

1st Stage – germination & seedling growth:

03/01/13

- Calibrated pH tester

- Soaked 6 seeds @ 9 pm (3 Trainwreck & 3 SLH) in complete darkness on top of hot water heater in spring water w/290 ppm dissolved solids, pH @ 5.9, Temperature @ 23-25 °C - Trainwreck seeds instantly sunk to bottom of glass, SLH floated

04/01/13

-Soaked 8 (2 spare & took best 6) Jiffy peat pellets in spring water @ pH 5.9

- 2 pm – after 17 hrs soaking in water planted 3 Trainwreck & 3 Super Lemon Haze seeds in Jiffy’s & re-watered with 5 mL spring water from peat pellet ensure evenly moist. 1 Trainwreck had started to split and taproot was beginning to show J

- Placed CO2 pad inside seedling tray & humidity dome on top (to be removed as soon as first seed sprouts), turned on heat & set up thermometer

- Temperature for germination w/heated seedling mat @ 23-25 °C

- Air temp outside dome @ 20 °C - rH outside dome @ 60-65%

05/01/13

- Turned on Sunblaster T5 fluorescent, Height: 34 cm above dome Raised temperature to 26 – 27 °C

post-14382-0-46969800-1357416719.jpg

post-14382-0-15488300-1357416720.jpg

post-14382-0-93370500-1357416720.jpg

post-14382-0-68284400-1357416721.jpg

post-14382-0-46464100-1357416722.jpg

post-14382-0-31480400-1357416723.jpg

post-14382-0-49370400-1357502297.jpg

post-14382-0-31721300-1357502298.jpg

• Like 4

Hey bro, just had to laugh about my own words. Because my best 3 plants are dead 3 plants already.

You win some.... ...

But i did not see any other strain showin a problem so far. Might be the haze-mist only, i hope that atleast.

May your weekend be nicer and your babies grow fast. peace man

Nice to see you in the Cup Smokey :D defo grab a chair u picked 2 of my fav gh strains gd luck with the ladys Blessings Ninjah

Thanks bro..happy to see ya :) Ya let's hope I can do them justice!

Hey bro, just had to laugh about my own words. Because my best 3 plants are dead 3 plants already.

You win some.... ...

But i did not see any other strain showin a problem so far. Might be the haze-mist only, i hope that atleast.

May your weekend be nicer and your babies grow fast. peace man

Ahh bro, very sorry to hear that :( Sounds like you're taking it with a good attitude at least..that's tough. Good thing you have lot's going on at least to replace em. Best of luck man I hope things look up for you!

You got nice tools of the trade. State of the art.

Thank you for writing in a easy to understand English. That is half the fun with your grows, we all understadn what you are doing :)

Thanks for appreciating the effort :) About the tools..like the strains let's hope I can maximize the potential of the set-up. I feel like I leaned quite a bit from the last grow again..hopefully I remember what I learned lol

QUICK UPDATE!:

06/01/13

-Last night before bed noticed that the top of one of the Trainwreck peat pellets was “rising” up and a seed was sprouting already! This morning it had totally sprouted but unfortunately the shell had started to split but had not been shed coming through the peat ( may have planted her a bit shallow). Even bigger surprise there was a root already sticking about 5 mm out of the bottom of the peat pellet! So in 36-42 hrs she sprouted and grew that root..amazing J . To remove the shell I sprayed her with mineral water a few times @ 6.0 pH and let it absorb into the shell for a few minutes. Then very gently & carefully began working at the seed with the very tips of my (clean) fingertips not prying, but scuffing the shell to remove it with friction like the soil/media normally does as it sprouts through and voila! The shell and membrane came free nice and clean. I’m very happy as she is a strong seed and I didn’t want to lose her.

- 11 am – all seeds are showing taproots already through the bottom of the pellets and another Trainwreck is starting to poke her head up

PLEASE ENJOY THE PICTURES OF THE FIRST BABY OF THE BUNCH :)

post-14382-0-84442000-1357497228.jpg

post-14382-0-95355700-1357497231.jpg

post-14382-0-25114300-1357497234.jpg

post-14382-0-88586000-1357497237.jpg

post-14382-0-96728400-1357497242.jpg

post-14382-0-85368500-1357497247.jpg

• Like 4

Hah, very cool. Welcome little wreckas :D

Good treat with the shell, i see you gettin scientific too. I do birth help myself too on maybe 5-15% of all.

The quick risers often just dry that hard that mini plant cant destroy.

Nice root, thats what i am used to see at GHseeds ! Fast germinaters+strong seedlings.

Sure we see nice lttle girls in no time.

peace

• Like 1

Eeeey Smokeybro! The growth, holy crap dude this

is amazing, you are gonna do great in this cup i know it.. I bet 4 gazillion cannabis dollars that

you make top 10 atleast!!

It's gonna be a blast, i'll waiting for update on theese turbo-honeys! :D

Best of luck!

• Like 1

This is great was thinking about this two strains for the cup :), but I went whit Exodus Cheese ;). Want to wish you and your seedlings best of luck in the cup. Pulling a big ass sofa for this one ;).

Peace & Smoke

Brother jimmy

• Like 1

POST #420!! Gotta have some GHSC autoflower bubble I made last night to celebrate :) But that's a story for another journal ;)

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATE & PICS!

welcome to the world baby girls :)

Very vigorous strains it seems congrats on the germination hope they'll become lovely mature ladies ;)

Thanks for the news smokey have a good grow!

Thanks Dust, I agree I've been blessed again with some great seeds from GHSC. My record so far with them is now 25/25 seeds successfully germinated, and only 1 seed did not make it to maturity (sprouted but did not open) last auto grow..thankfully..don't know where she would have fit in the tent lol

Hah, very cool. Welcome little wreckas :D

Good treat with the shell, i see you gettin scientific too. I do birth help myself too on maybe 5-15% of all.

The quick risers often just dry that hard that mini plant cant destroy.

Nice root, thats what i am used to see at GHseeds ! Fast germinaters+strong seedlings.

Sure we see nice lttle girls in no time.

peace

Yes, it is nice to see her growing so quick and healthy and to know I helped bring her into the world lol..she better be a her..cause unlike in some countries that I shall not name, in smokey country we only keep the girls! :devil:

I had to do the same with the second baby to rise, well, she lost her shell but the membrane had not yet quite opened. It is interesting, in my first 2 grows I soaked the seeds for 24 hrs with no issues like this, but this time I only soaked them for 12 hours, maybe not quite enough to let the water really penetrate and help with the separation? Just a thought..possibly nothing to do with it either. All are up and look healthy so far so I'm happy :) Thanks bro!

Amazing bro, that is some fast genetics for ya! And a root in that time!!! Truly amazing.

I know!! I took her out to see if her bottom was dry and almost shit myself! Fast genetics for sure! :)

Hi bro,

Welcome to the contest ;), I see strong start, I will look to follow up to see how they evolve small, sure we can see large flowers here jeje

Bes tregards and luck in the contest

Thanks for stopping by and wishing luck Jose! I was blessed with some good seeds it seems, I wouldn't expect less from GHSC and will try and do them justice :)

Hi friend

cool its fate already. SLH I love the smell the taste and of course its high !!!!!

Peace & Smoke

Thanks miminexus, I can't wait to smell that crazy lemon I read about so often! :)

Eeeey Smokeybro! The growth, holy crap dude this

is amazing, you are gonna do great in this cup i know it.. I bet 4 gazillion cannabis dollars that

you make top 10 atleast!!

It's gonna be a blast, i'll waiting for update on theese turbo-honeys! :D

Best of luck!

I'm humbled by your prediction Bigbro, thanks for the confidence in me I hope I can make that prediction come true..now you have me nervous lol :biggrin:

Really nice update man.

Congratz.

Thanks for the appreciation Fran! :)

For today's update! Haha, normally it is "this weeks update" but like a proud new father I want to show off the new babies :)

07/01/13

- 2 pm48 hrs from planting seeds all 6 seeds have sprouted with the last to rise being SLH#1

- 6 pm - I’ve continued to mist the seedlings regularly and have so far left the heated mat on with the Temperature @ the base of the pellets: 25 - 26°C

Temp @ top of “canopy”: 25°C (measured w/ thermometer probe)

Room temperature: 21 - 22 °C

Room rH @ 60-65%

Light height: 10 cm

1st to sprout, Trainwreck#2, is already 4.5 cm tall

PEACE!

post-14382-0-67063000-1357606168.jpg

post-14382-0-88710600-1357606172.jpg

post-14382-0-38532200-1357606211.jpg

post-14382-0-87191800-1357606214.jpg

post-14382-0-78846700-1357606218.jpg

post-14382-0-68242200-1357606222.jpg

post-14382-0-13182600-1357606226.jpg

• Like 3

haha yeah i feel you sometime even 1 more can't fit ^^

Thanks for the news man don't worry we will never complain for too much updates specially at this stage they change pretty fast first days ;)

Babies look good hope they'll keep on that way!

Have a good grow man

This is great was thinking about this two strains for the cup :), but I went whit Exodus Cheese ;). Want to wish you and your seedlings best of luck in the cup. Pulling a big ass sofa for this one ;).

Peace & Smoke

Brother jimmy

Thanks Brother Jimmy :bye:! I thought about Exodus Cheese, it will be one for the future for sure! I will have to come and see your grow and get some tips :biggrin:

PEACE