Top 40 Weed Strains 1977 Full colour

lamsbread

awesome lams i love those kind of articles, i got some magazine that i think are some of the first seed magazine ever published scanned somewhere i got to upload them and share them ^^

It seems like at that time they didn't minf having lots of leaves, we would the bud structure so much better without it, but i guess we gotta do with it ^^

Have a good day ;)

Yeah. It is impossible for you newbies to believe that in the US they sold pre rolled small joints - - tiny one paper rolled with 0.3 to 0.5 gram of mainly leaves for 1 dollar in the streets. Colombian Weed sold in ADAM was weighing moer in seeds than in leaves + flowers- But it still got us high of sorts...African grass was tea like fermented and nice + strong but also with lots of seeds. for the leaves. they may have taken out the big fan leaves but besides that - no

Jamaican Sensi was sold on stems - like it was grown fresh but always nice smokable .. couple seeds inside BUT much better looking than these butt ugly budz. That stuff came closer to what we grow today but it was larger and took 9 month to finish, hence the High was superior to most of todays strains as well.

Maybe tgey showed the leafy buds to show how they look in reality befiore curing THAI weed + sticks re manicued asyou can see.

Sensimillia cultivation was a mistery yet to most growers...only in >Jamaica I saw the best weed grow Sensi style - Means someone must camp next to the plantation and have a sharp eye on each plant.. Tuff job !

• Like 4

hehe Bam it makes me feel like a lil Boy when i read this :D but some of the ol stuff even ive smoked in the early nintees from my rasta uncle hehe..... but really nowadays we all would laugh when someone shows us such buds :D

• Like 1

can hardly see a bud lol...

thats leaf n stem material for hash making ahahaha

no but serious, very interesting how time changes something what we all declare as soso natural now. '77 is not 1920 i just think...

Buds of 2 or 3 gram should be average and without any leaf material today. :D I grew up with dutch weed and never had to buy huge amounts of streetweed.

But what bam says about this pre-roled J's and brick weed from mexico mainly in the states is really funny.

Heard many of that stories from friends who lived there + been there very frequently.

I wish everyone leaf free millenium quality bud for today and future...

when you look at the last 30 years development, imagine 2040's buds my friends.... :D :D

world-peace

jajajaja I´m agreeing with Sizla, some uglu buds there

and lamsbread, thank you very much for sharing, one question, do you have the orginal magazine or you just found the digital pics?

@ rik78 sadly I don't have the magazine , it is something i found on the web.

I used to buy High Times in the 90's most of my magazines are British such as weed world, red eye express, bush telegraph & the hookah. I might just see if i scan some articles from them.

Top 40

Back in 1977 we all would have sold our left nut for some of those weeds. Weather any of them are sensi, I'm not sure, but a lot of them you can see that they have seeds.

Those seeds are the genetic legacy which lead to some of our modern day strains.

As for the leaves, it is the same as the rest of the seventies , unkempt and bushy, these days we like our girls crop to be neat and tidy ;)

The late seventies early eighties, really were the start of a new wave of selective breeding and also indoor growing under lights, only 11 years later Nevil's seed bank won the first cannabis cup with Skunk #1.

11 years is not a long time to go from these ugly leafy seeded field buds to hybrid manicured indoor sensi.

I agree with Atrox can't wait to see what weed will look like in 2040.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

@ rik78 sadly I don't have the magazine , it is something i found on the web.

I used to buy High Times in the 90's most of my magazines are British such as weed world, red eye express, bush telegraph & the hookah. I might just see if i scan some articles from them.

Top 40

Back in 1977 we all would have sold our left nut for some of those weeds. Weather any of them are sensi, I'm not sure, but a lot of them you can see that they have seeds.

Those seeds are the genetic legacy which lead to some of our modern day strains.

As for the leaves, it is the same as the rest of the seventies , unkempt and bushy, these days we like our girls crop to be neat and tidy ;)

The late seventies early eighties, really were the start of a new wave of selective breeding and also indoor growing under lights, only 11 years later Nevil's seed bank won the first cannabis cup with Skunk #1.

11 years is not a long time to go from these ugly leafy seeded field buds to hybrid manicured indoor sensi.

I agree with Atrox can't wait to see what weed will look like in 2040.

Peace

Lams

and we can thx for this prohibition ~~ if not delegalization we would still have thos e harry buds all around :P ( maybe it would be better .... )

I remember back in the early eightys trying some thai in adelaide, at the time the only thing you could get hold of was aussie grown sativa strains be it grown at home or in the bush. I bought this little bag with one little bud in it for a rediculous price but didnt care as it had come half way around the world. The high was insane compared to anything id ever tried and started my search for more exotic strains to try.

• Like 2

Be interesting to see what the percentages are for cbd, cbg, thc, etc. I am not sure if they had the ability to test back then or if testing now would be able to determine what it was then.

You hear people say weed is stronger now then it was back then. I think the genetics were always able to produce high quality its just the breeding, and real science behind growing cannabis now that makes it appear stronger. Thought? I would be interested on what people think as one of the arguments by prohibitionists is that weed is stronger now and not like the pot in the 60's and 70's.

Was pot in the 20% and higher range back then as well? My guess is yes they existed but because of growing conditions, lack of knowledge, technology, etc, etc, etc, the herb in the 20% or higher was hard to find. Now a days its just easier to find better quality. Thoughts?

Not really true - a) there was weed in different intensity ranges and some of them esp. Hawaiian + Jamaican, Acapulco gold or Thai sticks were close to todays better strains. THC content alone does not mean a thing. In the end it depends on you if you smoke leaves o flowers, or the stuff that contains the seed. That was usually the strongest. Plus smoke more in a Chalice can equal todays little Bong heads esily.

But personally speaking I loved smoking weed as a special extra, the main Stoned came from Afghan, a Lebanese that has nothing in common with the stuff sold in coffeshops today As hard as I tried I never got any decent Lebanese in Amsterdam. It may look nice taste well but no contest vs that certain red strong stuff everybody tals about today who had the rivilge to smoke it. Not to mention Sputnik, Zero Zero od blonde maroc pollen. Hash oil from India/Nepal or marocco.

We smoked more and harder than most people do today - no Bongs just Chillums with clloth 2 gram Hash mixed with 2 filter Cigarettes per turn . 6 to 12 a day on average pls drinking tea with 2 grams on the weekends..lol

It reminds me of food. You may get more diversity and overall better quality today new . but believe me food back then tasted good and fed the hunger or appetite

The reason why we like to reminisce about the "good old" days is that we could smoke more then than today. After your 40th birthday smoking 20 years plus takes it's toll and it just isn't he same clean fun, it used to be ... some landraces are gone for good - no more Lebanese no Kashmere or Turkish Hash - even Maroco has different weed to produce it's hash from than 30 years ago..

Nature and the cultivators worked with the given genetics and the results were often superb, todays mixtures just change the material..

The trend to grow Indica or Hybrids in the tropics instead of those long flowering sativas and other landraces does NOT make a better weed imo

For hoe growing or cultivating weed outside of the nartural climates there is no doutt things have improved a lot. Growing weed in northern europe was not something i had a desire to do 20 or 30 years ago.. So in that case I agree with you..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Old mags like this are great, my mate got some old redeyes in our local headshop, quite funny to see how far we've come when they're talking about 'haze' or 'cheese' without a billion adjectives or fruit in front of them :P

I once got some weed off an old hippy guy that came to put up signs promoting the Green Party (which is an eco political party here) that he claimed he grew in the 80s and had been vacuum sealed in his attic since, got a whole supermarket shopping bag for about £40, looked alot like that apapulco gold. Mainly used it instead of tabacco but it was great to have a bowl in the living room to offer people ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah. It is impossible for you newbies to believe that in the US they sold pre rolled small joints - - tiny one paper rolled with 0.3 to 0.5 gram of mainly leaves for 1 dollar in the streets. Colombian Weed sold in ADAM was weighing moer in seeds than in leaves + flowers- But it still got us high of sorts...African grass was tea like fermented and nice + strong but also with lots of seeds. for the leaves. they may have taken out the big fan leaves but besides that - no

Tell you what man: I liked the high then much more than the high of many modern strains today. It was natural, vibrating, giggling etc. I never forget that seedy colombian gold 1978: we were just laughing, laughing and giggling and sweating for 2 hours and the we got horny and fucked our girlfriends. Amazing experience full of good vibes and energy - you can not find this today. :brunette:

Skunk had destroyed it all and is begining to destroy strains worldwide. People just want thick stone hard donkey dick buds - then it is "good" when they are stressed and paralyzed :alcoholic:

True first time I bought a big bag of colombian gold me and my friends drove to a concert and all the way we were talking nonsense about a toown called Solingen, known for it's precision stell and sharp knifes + razor blades - it was so funny plus imagine 5 twens in a car and no celphone going on..LOL

When you was away from home in a car you were MIA - out of reacch and free . Man sometimes I miss that vibe of easy freedom . we old folks suck I know...

Fact is either the shit got you high or it did not - end of story but in fact we were very often very very extreme stoned from all that black Afgan hash in Chillums 2 gram wth 2 foilter cigarettes for 3 persons and a cloth with teac as a filter - Bom shannkar - Shiv Shamboo. Not much less potent than smoking sme Kush, Cheeese or Skunk... From the 80ies on we learned to smoke more stylish with handmade glass pipes with little heads , not unlike a Bong today - The one hit wonder.. but till this day I am a pipe smoker or a spliff/blunt fan, Somehow I never got the trick with that one hit ...

Old dogs and new tricks ...

• Like 1

Wow u americans had some preddy bad stuff ^^

sorry, but this is and other remarks like "bad weed" are annoying. The weed in the pictures was mostly fabolous, strong and happy weed that made you energetic before all was replaced by narcotic "skunk". Now breeders have to go back to find real weed again and show how positive cannabis can be....You seem to have no idea how powerful some Colombian gold or red was or Hawaiian.

And I find it even more annyoing when some "cool youngsters" are travelling around and pissing off local breeders in Guatemala, Thailand, ambodia and Africa with their attitude: "not that garbage, bring me the real big buds"

Fact is either the shit got you high or it did not - end of story but in fact we were very often very very extreme stoned from all that black Afgan hash in Chillums

Right, sometimes it was just nothing or the hash cut with some shit. Afghani was called "Afghani all sports" because it was a mediocre allrounder from the Afghan/ Paki border but always the same.Real Afghan was 5 times stronger and blew you out. But the South American weed was always a bomb. Now they are bringing stuff like this back with SLH and santa maria with its decent but strong energetic and spiritual high.

Like Lambsbread - almost forgotten

So Firefighter u just missunderstudd me.

And first up i dement do be ah "joug hppster" i was in india for 2 years and lved there. know that this Weed was not bad to Smoke it just looks awefull in comparisan what we got n switzerland at this time.

Thai-Sticks from chldhood were my favorites so i decided to go over there and search my genetics cause i knew 2 local Farmers

I Grow and Breed sense a long time.

And tell me what u wat but i know n USA was the worst Weed at this time of the World cause u got massive restrictons in Law and we got it legal so u can imagne why US Weed of this time us cant compare to the one here, it were the same Strains just in major qualiti cause they didnt need to smuggle it and hide it what affects the quality pretty hard.

Know what i love ? beeing not racist not aganst other countrys blabla but frst of all not aginst ppl other Age ! u dont even know how old i am but ur calling me a "young hippster" you know nothing mate.

my 2 cents on this cool comment im out for tday after that cya

well - sure there was a mass market for hash from the era but that was not 5 times weaker than the real shit. It just had not those diverse tastes and often very subtle highs but still was of decent quality and got you higher than the maroc. Of course this depends on the connection and it was usually 2 to 3 times NPL and another third a local product smuggled by travellers or other connection. The standar stuff with the stamp NPL on the 100 gram plates was a mixture of Afghani/Pkistani with some Nepali pollen, pressed to deliver a standard quality depending on the supply at any given moment. That stuff was trustable and the safe choice. Local products were more of a surprise, sometimes the bomb , sometimes old or stuff with lot of plant material mixed under .

With either you got high or not I mean the simple fact a Hash or weed high is unique, you cannot be a bit high - either you feel the effect or you don't and in marihuana many more parts than the actual buds have the potential to do exactly that = get you baked. You might need more from a mix of leaves + flowers, but in the end if grown well and good genetics ot will do that ...