Liberty Haze grow

turksteelman

hi turksteelman,

in my case I use it just as a filter, in your case I would say you have to build a light trap/catcher, but I mean you can try to get the black carbon foam and give it a try. I use the white one and I can see if the lights are on, so I think the white foam would suck for you!

or maybe you can install something like this Tooltime10.jpg.jpg

if you get the black carbon foam, I think it won`t let every light beam through, but u will see it, I guess.

cheers

Hi my friend,

Watering:

I hand water as well using a hydro medium. The plants like to go through a wet and dry cycle. This allows air to get to the roots, and without oxygen, the roots become unhealthy and cannot absorb nutrients.

Your watering sounds about right. If you allow some run off(around 15%), then this helps to prevent salt build up in your medium. What I do is I treat the medium like soil, and put my middle finger into the medium and when it feels dry, at about my middle joint in depth, then I water.

Another way is to feel the wight of the pot, when it has lost most of its weight, then water again. I think you are better off to fully saturate the pots, allowing some run off, and then allowing them to dry out before watering again.

You can send your plants into flower at anytime, even straight from seed. The longer your veg your plants, the higher will be your yield. I veg for around 8 weeks.

I intend to nip my plants at about the 4th internode.

Do not listen to those who say that it takes over 100 days for Liberty Haze to flower. I have grown a number of Strains from Barneys and his descriptions are always accurate. It will take around 9 weeks to finish.

You will probably need an a/c as your climate makes it almost impossible to keep the heat down. Exhaust fans and cool tubes are only as good as the air coming into them, and if the air entering is already 80F, then it can not get the temp down any lower than that. Add the heat of the light and temps are going through the roof.

I live in a hot climate too. I run my lights of a night and that helps.

Portable A/c generally are not as good as split systems. Portables are no where near as efficient.

How big are your pots?

The bigger your pot the better, as without space to grow the roots become compacted and this effects growth and yield.

I use 55 liter pots(13 gallon).

I will start my post on my liberty haze grow in a week or two.

take care,

john

• Like 1

Oh one thing.

Artificial light fades very quickly. Double the distance between plant and light, and the intensity of the light is only 25% of what it was before the light was lifted higher.

You want that light as close as possible to the plants, and with a cool tube, I would have the lights no higher than say 1 foot. Put the back of your hand between light and plant, if you feel excessive heat, the light is too close.

Your plants will triple in height, so it is important to have the light close so that the WHOLE plant is subjected to intense light.

happy growing

john

Oh one thing.

Artificial light fades very quickly. Double the distance between plant and light, and the intensity of the light is only 25% of what it was before the light was lifted higher.

You want that light as close as possible to the plants, and with a cool tube, I would have the lights no higher than say 1 foot. Put the back of your hand between light and plant, if you feel excessive heat, the light is too close.

Your plants will triple in height, so it is important to have the light close so that the WHOLE plant is subjected to intense light.

happy growing

john

We agree with ya, but his had/has heat issue and 1000W HPS in 3ft closet :)

1KW HPS foot away is too close a bit for small plants.

anyway you right for some diff. conditions of grow.

Peace

about doors to cover http://www.hydroponics.eu/lighting-c-24/reflective-sheeting-s-187/black-and-white-sheeting-3-x-2mt-1121.html

The room is around 8x11x8. Rather a good size room. I will try to get as close as possible without exerting too much heat on the plants. Hopefully the A/C will work out real well and keep the temps down. The last thing I want is alot of stretching on these girls. Thanks everyone for all the input. Keep it coming!

hi turksteelman,

in my case I use it just as a filter, in your case I would say you have to build a light trap/catcher, but I mean you can try to get the black carbon foam and give it a try. I use the white one and I can see if the lights are on, so I think the white foam would suck for you!

or maybe you can install something like this Tooltime10.jpg.jpg

if you get the black carbon foam, I think it won`t let every light beam through, but u will see it, I guess.

cheers

Where did you find that light diffuser?

Thanks FuginlnsanE,

I was just hanging out in the grow room and found that I am going to need to vent my A/C exhaust into the attic. I thought it would be ok venting into the next door bathroom but its like a sauna in there and it also supplies the cool air for my door vent intake air. The supply air goes right by this bathroom and it being hot and supplying hot air thru the vent will cause my A/C to just run alot. Something I don't need. Its always something! Bad planning on my part but at least I'm working out all the bugs!

We agree with ya, but his had/has heat issue and 1000W HPS in 3ft closet :)

1KW HPS foot away is too close a bit for small plants.

anyway you right for some diff. conditions of grow.

Peace

hi mate,

You are right, if the plants are too small a 1000 watt light that close would not be good for them. Usually, with seedlings the light is placed about 4 feet and then lowered slowly over a week or two. Personally I hit my plants with intense light as soon as possible. They love that intense light, and with a cool tube, the light can be very close indeed. I usually(once the plants are larger) have my light about 6 inches from the top of the plant.

take care,

john

As mentioned earlier, I need to vent my A/C to the attic and doing so will take some time. I won't have the time until Sunday so because I didn't flip the lights to 12/12 with 1000w HPS, I put the 400W MH back in and they will sit in veg until then. Probably won't hurt them as I hear you should wait a week after topping before they go into flower anyway. They seem to be doing real well with new growth popping everywhere! Whoo-hoo!

Hi my friend,

Watering:

I hand water as well using a hydro medium. The plants like to go through a wet and dry cycle. This allows air to get to the roots, and without oxygen, the roots become unhealthy and cannot absorb nutrients.

Your watering sounds about right. If you allow some run off(around 15%), then this helps to prevent salt build up in your medium. What I do is I treat the medium like soil, and put my middle finger into the medium and when it feels dry, at about my middle joint in depth, then I water.

Another way is to feel the wight of the pot, when it has lost most of its weight, then water again. I think you are better off to fully saturate the pots, allowing some run off, and then allowing them to dry out before watering again.

You can send your plants into flower at anytime, even straight from seed. The longer your veg your plants, the higher will be your yield. I veg for around 8 weeks.

I intend to nip my plants at about the 4th internode.

Do not listen to those who say that it takes over 100 days for Liberty Haze to flower. I have grown a number of Strains from Barneys and his descriptions are always accurate. It will take around 9 weeks to finish.

You will probably need an a/c as your climate makes it almost impossible to keep the heat down. Exhaust fans and cool tubes are only as good as the air coming into them, and if the air entering is already 80F, then it can not get the temp down any lower than that. Add the heat of the light and temps are going through the roof.

I live in a hot climate too. I run my lights of a night and that helps.

Portable A/c generally are not as good as split systems. Portables are no where near as efficient.

How big are your pots?

The bigger your pot the better, as without space to grow the roots become compacted and this effects growth and yield.

I use 55 liter pots(13 gallon).

I will start my post on my liberty haze grow in a week or two.

take care,

john

I look forward to your post. I do have a question and it may be most obvious to most. My pots are made by Gro Pro NC3. The dimensions are 9" tall, 10.5Wide and 8.75 at base. Is this considered a 3 gallon?

The "kind of accepted" standards are these:

a 4" pot= a pint

a 5/6" pot= a quart

an 7/8" pot= a gallon

(there are also 2 gallon sizes, though harder to find)

a 10" pot = a 3 gallon

a 14" pot= a 7 gallon

a 20" pot= a 10 gallon

a 24" pot = a 15 gal

a 30" pot= a 20 gal

a 35" pot = a 25/30 gal

Hi my friend,

The plants when flowering go through an enormous burst of growth. For growth up top, you need growth underneath the medium.

You could get away with using the 3 gallon pots, but it will effect your yield.

If the roots are obstructed, then this causes stress to the plant, as it is also not able to absorb the large amounts of nutrients it needs, so growth and yield are effected.

During flowering, the plant sends out a mass of new roots, as it has to absorb large quantities of nutrients to fuel this burst of growth.

I did an experiment with my last grow, and left one plant in a 18 liter pot, while the other Tangerine Dream plants I transplanted into 52 liter pots. The strain was the same and the lightening, watering cycle but the plant in the 18 liter pot only grew to about half the growth of the others in the 52 liter pots, and it yielded substantially less. Here the only difference was the size of the pot.

Wait until the plants are roots bound,( which at a guess would be in their 4th to 5th week of flowering), then if you want transplant them into a larger pot.

The most rapid growth in the buds occurs from around week 5 onwards, and this is when the roots really need to absorb nutrients to power that bud growth.

all the best,

john

• Like 3

The grow seems to be doing well. (you guys let me know if things don't look right) :biggrin: I was unable to take one of them out to look at the root structure just yet. I will replant them as John suggests. I have to watch the size of my replanting pots as somehow I need to get them all under one 1000WHPS. Probably try to find the square pots. Here are some of the latest pics. Still in veg. Planted seeds Jan 1.

post-19859-0-20961300-1359213401.jpg

post-19859-0-81658700-1359213409.jpg

• Like 1

make them rock that orange spectrum ;) Tho i prefer to let the MH a little longer, at least until first real buds are starting to build, followiung the advice of one of our old grow guru ;) Results in little more compact girls and little more budsite as they have shorte nods ;)

For the dark period, look in the grow guru section and with the search tool, we've had quit a few threads about this, but basicallly it is supposed to help the girls to switch to flowering a little more quickly and some other advantages. To be honest i don't do it, but many do!! and it for sure doesn't hurt anyone to do it ^^

Good luck man ;)

• Like 1