Super Shed Part Two UPDATE 26 November 2010

Jay Ryan

No big changes with the Super Shed. Using the lessons learned from grow one.

1. Keep the plant count down. I have a lot of height in the room, but not as much width as I would like. If you crowd your plants, you will get good main colas, but crappy side and lower colas, resulting in a lower yield.

2. Promote early stretch. As I said, I have lots of height in my shed.

On to grow two:

I've got 5 plants this time, down from 8:

Sam_1116small.jpg

clock wise starting at 12:00

GH Thai, GH Super Lemon Haze GH White Widow, GH El Nino, GH Thai

Sam_1117small.jpg

small.jpg

If you see on the right, there are two plants left from last harvest. Once they come out, I will spread the plants out a little more.

Peace

J

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anguscr,

I have tried a few times to stop it from binding with no luck. On a positive note, I am not going to force flowering until September on the new crop, so I can leave the skylight open. By September the sun time will be short enough that I won't have to close it all, until probably Spring time.

So, hopefully by then I will figure out how to prevent binding on the motor, or I will buy unit the skylight maker sells. It's a bit expensive, but what isn't ;)

Samuelo, No, I'm not training the plants. I want them to grow tall, or wide, or however they want. I will be trimming the bottom part, and using the trimmings as cuttings.

I have lots of height, and with less plants, lots of width for the ladies to spread out ;)

Hi Jay... Go it, & it's difficult to make a roof to open automatically, I ask you because I requesting to the Govermment a permit to grow Hemp to be use a fuel & I have ready a 200M2 warehouse & I wanted to take advantage of the sun we have here at least for 12 hours & then use MH & LED lights. If I get the permit I'll post the all process here.

Good luck my friend.

Angusr, I only have a few months to deal with the open and close. During the summer, when I want 12 hours. The rest of the year I can leave it open all day because the sun isn't up long enough to upset the 12 hours.

And, like now, when I want more light, I leave it open, even though my light's are on after it's dark. With the lights focused down, I wouldn't think there is a lot of light leaving through the top.

Though with the LEDs it will certainly make for a cool light show if some one can see from above ;)

Hi Jay & Tokage... I think that to be available to open the warehouse roof with a switch, in my case I have to build a metalic structure, I'm quoting to see how much it cost, but I'm focus in geting the permits first, without permits the project cannot proceed.

Guest superbluehaze

looking great; your post now has me using cfl for veg; a 250 watt, and it works great; just goes to show, you can teach an old dog new tricks;(I like dogs, so I do not mind comparing myself to one).

happy growing,

john

10 days after the initial pictures, you can see the growth has been incredible:

Sam_1125small.jpg

left to right. two GH Thai plants, El Nino (front center) Super Lemon Haze (rear center) White Widow (right)

Sam_1127small.jpg

Looking in from left of the White Widow plant. Clockwise from right in front:

El Nino, Thai, Thai, Super Lemon Haze

Sam_1128small.jpg

Looking in from between the El Nino (left) White Widow (right) Super Lemon Haze (middle rear)

If you can see the tubes on the floor with the quarter turn valves. To the right, (behind the curtain) is my main res, and my main drain. The lines run to both with a set of three valves that decide where the water goes.

I did a full system water change with nutes. I did it over 2 days to let the water sit over night, but once the res was ready, all I had to do was turn three little valves, then switch them later to refill.

That's it, once every 10 days.

I am going away for a few days, but when I get back next week I will be taking cuttings and switching to 12x12. I hope I am soon enough to keep the thai from cresting 9 feet ;)

Guest superbluehaze

hi jay,

your grow is looking amazing. Your techniques are very innovative and we can all learn something from this grow.

thank you for sharing it with us.

happy harvest,

john

The best part of a vacation is coming home to find your plants growing wild!!!

Here are some pictures I took this morning:

Left to righ, front to back:

Two Thai

El Nino (front) Super Lemon Haze (back)

White widow

Sam_1196small.jpg

Two Thai:

Sam_1197small.jpg

White Widow:

Sam_1198small.jpg

Left: El Nino, Right Super Lemon Haze

Sam_1199small.jpg

Guest superbluehaze

a great post my friend; they are looking great. I am taking paricular interest in the Thai. Here in the 70's we used to get a lot of what was called Buddha sticks, straight from Thailand. It was the one of the best smokes I have ever had. The heads were tied to bamboo sticks. I still dream of those days - it is a very distinctive smoke, and very psychoactive.

happy growing,

john

John,

Thai stick was very popular where I lived in the 70s, ok maybe it was popular every where in the states ;)

Maybe I should tie the buds up old school style...

So, when I saw that GH was releasing 10 packs of Fem seeds so cheap, well I had to give them a go. The one in the back ground went into the room a week early so it spread more, but damn, it looks like it will be a monster.

I shall keep this post current weekly.

Thanks!

Guest superbluehaze

I have read in a book, I think by Ed Rosenthal, that goes through how to do it step by step, but it can not be too hard. You can use a dried limb from your plant too. I would do it that way, trouble is these days a lot of people would not know what the hell they are.

Thank for posting, Jay. Your grow is great;

Happy harvest,

john

This is my weekly update. The plants are thriving. The tallest thai is now 52 inches tall (including the 15 inches of 5 gallon bucket), and all are getting pretty wide.

left to right, two thai, in the middle El Nino in the front, Super Lemon Haze behind, White Widow to the right:

Sam_1242small.jpg

Just the Thai:

Sam_1243small.jpg

El Nino

Sam_1244small.jpg

White Widow:

Sam_1245small.jpg

They have been on 12x12 for 7 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I was away from the garden on a work trip. And we all know what the best part of a trip is, right? Coming home:

Hairs were starting about 10 days ago, almost 2 weeks into 12x12 to the day. This would be hairs +10 days, and bud formation is everywhere.

White Widow in the foreground, not how tall the Thai is in the background:

WW.jpg

White Widow Buds:

WWBud.jpg

Super Lemon Haze:

SLH.jpg

Super Lemon Haze Bud:

slhBud.jpg

El Nino:

ElNino.jpg

El Nino Bud:

ElNinoBud.jpg