what causes this bud to stretch and can it be fixed

dHetep

Hello all Can someone tell my this bud is growing like this.

Temp in the flowering area rang from 30Cwith lights on to 24C with lights off.

The lightnis about 40cm from the plants.

2010-08-25%2023.54.09.jpg

So My questions are?

What is the cause of this?

How can it be prevented?

If most of the buds are this way, will the smoke be good?, or should I just harvest now a do an extract?

Thanks in advance

Guest superbluehaze

How long have your plants been in flower?

if it is not that long, then it is a genetic deformity, unless they are stretching through lack of intense light. If the buds have raised glands, then they may be quite potent- I think they probably will be. What sort of light are you using? Lower it right down, and this may help the buds to be more compact.

happy harvest,

john

is your grow room light tight ? could be that they began to re vegg as they either did not have full darkness during the lights being off ... which could be from either a light leak or lights not being turned on and off at proper times ....

i notice with blueberry strain that it does this alote late into flower so like john said it could very well just be a deformaty or a mutation...

i would check the light scedule and make sure you have no light leaks ...

also like john said lower your lights a little but first i would like to know what kind of lights you are using so we dot have u lower a 1000w hps down to 2 inches above plants as that would not be good mate

we will be able to figure this out for you

~Bgb

Guest superbluehaze

green buds is right, and thought of something I did not -- it could very well be light pollution, and the fact the the others are flowering, means I would look at my timer, as perhaps they are not getting a full 12 hours of darkness. Strains react differently to a short dark cycle, but bubblegum has a sativa heritage and this would make it particularly sensitive to a short dark cycle. If this is not the case, then turn the lights down a further hour to say 11 hours light, and 13 hours darkness, and see.

happy growing,

john

Thanks All, Very good information. I have about 3 weeks left. I useing a 400wt sunsystem HPS. The buds do have raised trichomes. I'm confident I don't have a l;ight leak as I made that mistake in the last grow and got some seed. My light cycle is currently on 10hr on 14hr off. I will lower the light today and see if that has any effect.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

My friend

I think the dark cycle is too long, and this may be the cause of your problem. The plant thinks winter is coming, the buds have not been fertilized, and in na last ditch attempt to catch any stray pollen, the buds may be streaching.

Personally I never have a dark peroid longer than 13 hours. The plants need the energy they produce from the light.

In the last 10day or week I may cut the light down to 11 hours, but only if plants are not rippening as they should, otherwise I use a 12/12 cycle throughout the whole flowering peroid.

To produce fat buds the plants need lots of energy, which they gain from the sun, through photosynthesis.

I give them as much light as i can, and as long a cycle as I can(sometimes, depending on the strain, as long as 12.5 hours) so the plants have the energy they need to ripen the buds.

happy harvest,

john

• 4 weeks later...