Lollipopping or Site Pruning - When and how much?

Hello Hunters :) I have started a thread on pruning lower branches during veg/flower and how much to take :)

I have 40 LA Cheese clones at day 15 of flowering (tomorrow is flushing day :)) and i have been taking some lower buds but not the actual branches. After feeding time the other day I have decided that the girls are getting a bit too cramped and could do with a trim under the skirt ;) I have been doing some reading on the subject today and 'I believe' the time is right for some action. I'd like to hear anyones experiences on the subject, this would be greatly appreciated :)

My other question is how much? What's clear is you can take quite a lot over time but how much in one session? I have witnessed people on youtube just going nuts and trimming shit loads of branches, leaves and shoots in week 2 of flower. They seem like they know what they are doing but I cant help thinking that these plants I'm seeing are going to hermie at some point after such abuse :hunter:

Can we take that much at that time in flowering? Some say to wait till after the stretch, some say all throughout, some say never in flowering at all, others say to take small amounts over time. I think what I really want to find out is that - Can I take more than say....2 branches a plant? Or should that be enough? Everything that I've learned previously tells me not to take any! lol :lol:

Lollipopping Makes no sense to me? If plants are grown so big the lights dont cover the growth you should lst more or get more lights.

There are many professionals and botanist that say cutting healthy leaves will slow growth...... Someone could explain why they think (with evidence) that cutting healthy growth off a plant will increase plant production.

• Like 1

well i'm not particurly a fan of lolipoping, and for sure it does slow the growth a little for a few days as it is pretty Xtrem treatment, but i have to agree it seems that the bud structure does benefits from it a little, does it give you more yeild i don't think so but it does give you diferent bud development, better or not is another question and i think more a personal preference to decide ^^

For the leaf trimming i like to do it a little too, but not as soons as 2 weeks of flow, i usually wait for the buds to be developed nicely already and stretch to stop. once all this is done i usually take away the fan leaves and let the light go through for the weeks left.

Good luck man

• Like 1

Lollipopping Makes no sense to me? If plants are grown so big the lights dont cover the growth you should lst more or get more lights.

There are many professionals and botanist that say cutting healthy leaves will slow growth...... Someone could explain why they think (with evidence) that cutting healthy growth off a plant will increase plant production.

I sense a bit of negativity, maybe lollipopping was not the right word as it seems to have struck a nerve. I was merely asking our family online something. I will apologise as have I failed to mention that im running a Sea of green setup so my plants haven't got "big" as you put it, the sea is just starting to get thicker that's all and there's a bit of undergrowth :) Was just wondering if I can remove any of this :) Im running an 1800w setup so...no, I don't think I'll get more lights, lol, it's damn hot in there already :) Also, with sea of green having an interest in the top cola and how it develops is a good thing isn't it? :) Don't want too much spindly stuff :)

Thanks for the input dude :)

well i'm not particurly a fan of lolipoping, and for sure it does slow the growth a little for a few days as it is pretty Xtrem treatment, but i have to agree it seems that the bud structure does benefits from it a little, does it give you more yeild i don't think so but it does give you diferent bud development, better or not is another question and i think more a personal preference to decide ^^

For the leaf trimming i like to do it a little too, but not as soons as 2 weeks of flow, i usually wait for the buds to be developed nicely already and stretch to stop. once all this is done i usually take away the fan leaves and let the light go through for the weeks left.

Good luck man

Thanks for the advice man ;)

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo :)

I did a lot of tests and i did alot on cutting or trimming Fanleafs all in all i got out : Dont do it! :P

The Thing is if u do it u will stress the Plant hard and u will open a tousend wounds in one Moment something like that normaly causes dead in Nature.

The open wounds an cause multiple Fungis and other rotting issues.

U want get more Bud out of ur SoG but u will get fluffier buds that make it look more but infcat u just got fluffier buds cause of Stress, me for my self i hate fluffy buds :P

I would rater recomend u to take some netting and then just get the leafs under the net like that u will get even better effect of lighting than with trimming and u want harm the Pant u want even stress it like that u can increase ur Harvest quite a bit ;)

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo :)

I did a lot of tests and i did alot on cutting or trimming Fanleafs all in all i got out : Dont do it! :P

The Thing is if u do it u will stress the Plant hard and u will open a tousend wounds in one Moment something like that normaly causes dead in Nature.

The open wounds an cause multiple Fungis and other rotting issues.

U want get more Bud out of ur SoG but u will get fluffier buds that make it look more but infcat u just got fluffier buds cause of Stress, me for my self i hate fluffy buds :P

I would rater recomend u to take some netting and then just get the leafs under the net like that u will get even better effect of lighting than with trimming and u want harm the Pant u want even stress it like that u can increase ur Harvest quite a bit ;)

Cheers man, some good info ;) I will take heed of this :)

Leave the leaves IMO(In my opinion).

For each leaf you take away is a little less production in the end!

If you're having trouble with your light footprint, and are thinking you should lollipop becuase those leaves aren't getting light, you should up your caliber of light, and minimize the footprint of your plant, by training it as soon as possible, to keep it short and bushy!

Once you start flowering, you certainly don't want to remove any leaves, as they'll also serve as your buffer between your buds and the nutrients in the soil!

The more the better in terms of fan leaves!

Tuck em, don't cut em! Let them fall off as they will!

Leave the leaves IMO(In my opinion).

For each leaf you take away is a little less production in the end!

If you're having trouble with your light footprint, and are thinking you should lollipop becuase those leaves aren't getting light, you should up your caliber of light, and minimize the footprint of your plant, by training it as soon as possible, to keep it short and bushy!

Once you start flowering, you certainly don't want to remove any leaves, as they'll also serve as your buffer between your buds and the nutrients in the soil!

The more the better in terms of fan leaves!

Tuck em, don't cut em! Let them fall off as they will!

I hear you man :) Never been keen on pulling off fan leaves, just some of the shoots at the very bottom that are in darkness. I pull small buds at the nodes but never anything substantial. I have vegged these clones for a week too long as I was getting my new flowering room setup, the result of this is slightly taller girls than I wanted, maybe a foot. It's my first attempt at a SOG so I will live and learn :) Thanks for the info man :)

• Like 1

Your welcome bro.

And maybe look into supercropping your girls, as that will slow them up for a week or so, allowing you to get back on track with the height.

IMO, anything taller than 18" would be better outdoor. Everything indoor should be trained to maximize the footprint of the light!

I just started a journal and will be posting pics soon, so you can have a look at what I mean.

I'm running a mini SOG. 9 plants that'll flower under 600w HPS.

Your welcome bro.

And maybe look into supercropping your girls, as that will slow them up for a week or so, allowing you to get back on track with the height.

IMO, anything taller than 18" would be better outdoor. Everything indoor should be trained to maximize the footprint of the light!

I just started a journal and will be posting pics soon, so you can have a look at what I mean.

I'm running a mini SOG. 9 plants that'll flower under 600w HPS.

Thanks man :) I've tried supercropping in the past (my indoor world cup entry) and I was really trying to avoid topping or supercropping and just keep a main cola on these girls :)

I didn't do enough trimming in veg and I'm paying for it a bit now, there's still light hitting the pots so it can't be that bad :)