"Smokeys" 4 strain auto grow *COMPLETE* [TOTAL YIELD 686 grams] - Powderfeed + 600W HPS + 4 x LED

Enough talk of a journal, time to start one!!

Here are the basic plans, some pictures, as well as my journal chronicling what has been happening over the past 9 days. Tonight they are being moved into their new bigger 23 L homes and I will have an updated post with pictures of the procedure soon.

I wish everyone in the cup the best of luck and hope that I can provide both an informative and entertaining journal for all to read/view, and once again showcase the awesomeness of the Greenhouse Powderfeed! :biggrin:

Peace

GHSC Autoflower Cup Grow – 4 Strains – 6 plants

Seeds:

2 x Super Critical Auto

2 x Sweet Mango Auto

1 x Northern Lights Auto

27/05/2013 - ** One NLA did not sprout so I am going to germinate 1 Big Bang Auto tonight.

1 x Big Bang Auto

Growing media:

Jiffy™ Peat starter pots – will transplant to 23 L pots once rooted in Jiffy’s

23 L pots - Pro Mix™ High Porosity/Grodan™ Growchunks/Hydrotron™ clay pellets @ approx. 40/40/20 mix

Lighting: 18 hours on and 6 hours off entire grow

Seedlings :

2 x Sunblaster™ T5 fluorescent - hung vertically on each side of the LED and angled towards the seedlings

1 x Sunshine Systems LED

** Lights will be kept a fair distance away as I am going for a mixed spectrum here not a ton of intensity

Vegetation:

4 x 28W Sunshine Systems™ LED’s

Flower:

The 600W Hortilux Super HPS bulb w/cool tube reflector will be added once they are getting closer to flowering + 4 x LED’s

Ventilation:

Intake – (will be added once they are in the 23 L pots) via a 4 inch (10 cm), 176 cfm (300 M3/hr) Typhoon™ inline fan with a Mountain Air carbon filter attached on the intake end to provide some protection against fungi or bacteria etc. from entering the tent. This is new as so far I have relied only on passive intake, but I believe this could definitely improve yield.

Extraction – via a 6 inch (15 cm), 280 cfm (475 M3/hr) CK™ inline fan with Mountain Air filter

Water, Nutrients & Additives:

Seedling transplant: All plants will receive Botanicare™ ZHO (Rhizosphere root inoculant w/trichoderma & mychorrizae) at transplant to 23 L pots

Water & Nutrients:

All plants will receive R/O (reverse osmosis) water + Botanicare™ Cal-Mag Plus and GHSC™ Mother’s Powderfeed once they are rooted and into 23 L pots until signs of flowering at which point they will be switched to the GHSC Hybrid Powderfeed. Unfortunately I don’t having any Indica powderfeed (other than 2 x 20 g sample packs that I will try out) which is recommended for autos but I was happy with the results once I started using the Hybrid feed last auto grow and hopefully using the Powderfeed from start to finish this time will only improve things.

Additives will be used but not 100% sure which ones yet. And again, I will also use ZEO2™ CO2 producing pads for now, but am looking into other CO2 producing sources/methods for small spaces and this may change during the grow.

19/05/13

GERMINATION:

Soaked seeds at 7:11 pm 19/05/13 in mineral water EC of 0.66, pH 6.8, temp @ 19 degrees to start, temperature should rise a few degrees. Glasses were placed in a box sealed from light and on top of the fridge where it will stay consistently warm.

**EDIT**

Having done more research, and having done this with the last Big Bang seed, I will in the future germinate with r/o water + tiny bit of Cal - Mag with EC no higher than 0.15, & pH @ 5.5. I was lazy and didn't pH and should have, and mineral water or not 0.66 is waay too high to germinate seeds considering they have all that they need in the seed to germinate.

20/05/2013

PLANTING:

I opened the box 18 hrs later to find some seeds split their shell and others hadn’t. What is disturbing is that the water in each glass had a film on top of it L I used spring water that I’d opened a few months ago and sealed again, but with nothing persistent in the water to disinfect it (like chlorine in drinking water) something must have grown in it. I really should have known better with what I’ve learned in my water course in school and should have used fresh unopened spring water. I am hoping for the best but I fear the worst and I may need to purchase new seeds this coming weekend when I go to the Treating Yourself Expo in Toronto and start over if they don’t sprout into healthy little seedlings.

Currently using one LED panel 18 inches directly above jiffys to germinate – with 2 x T5 Sunblaster fluorescents hanging vertically and angled towards the jiffy’s waiting to add mixed spectrum once they sprout and are a few days old. Once they are moved into their 23L homes I will have all 4 LED’s running until they are strong enough to add the 600W HPS

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 25 - 26°C

rH = 55 %

LED Light Height – 45 cm’s (18 inches)

T5 = 23 cm’s (9 inches) from seedlings on the end

Lights off 6 hrs:

Room temp = 21°C

rH = 65 %

21/05/13

No change

22/05/13

Today I added a heated seedling mat (* a new one, the old one would burn em up if not careful) to speed up the process a little

I can see one SMA baby making her way up so far – I planted them a little deeper this time to help give them enough distance/friction to shed the seed and keeping them nice and moist while doing so. Having to spray and pry them off works but not always and having them worked off naturally is much preferred.

@ 8:30 - one of each auto is showing signs of sprouting

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 23 °C

Temp at base of jiffy pellets = 27 – 28 °C

rH in room = 60 % average

23/05/13

@ 6 pm- approximately 77 hours after planting

Sweet Mango Auto’s – both have split their shell and the bent stems are surfaced with cotyledons on their way up

Super Critical Auto’s – Both have sprouted fully and look healthy

Northern Lights Auto – one baby sprouted fully with healthy cotyledons, but 1st true leaves tips are looking white, I will keep an eye on her. The 2nd hasn’t shown signs of much yet so we will see.

Watered - mixed new water: reverse osmosis w/small amount of Cal-Mag Plus

EC = 0.4 pH = 5.5 Temp = 21 °C

@ 8 pm - Now that almost all have sprouted and most have visible taproots I turned off heated mat, and turned on small ceramic oscillating heater to maintain proper temperature air temperature around 25 – 27. I want to get them into their new 23 L homes a lot quicker than the last autos and plan on transplanting them on Sunday or Monday most likely (in 3 – 4 days).

Also started using the large humidifier to maintain target rH – around 65 – 70% for my set-up at this stage.

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 25 - 26 °C

rH in room = 60 – 68 %

24/05/13

Sweet Mango Auto’s – Both sprouted fully and with the exception of the very tips of the 1st true leaves looking a little white they look healthy.

Super Critical Auto’s – Continue to grow 1st leaves and taller

Northern Lights Auto – Still only the 1 baby sprouted outta 2, positive news is 1st true leaves looking more green and less brown and growing quickly.

** Going to buy a 5 pack of GHSC auto seeds this weekend, just not sure which ones yet, and may have 4 autoflower strains in the tent this time – maybe Big Bang?

After time spent thinking about the cause of white tips on the first true leaves of some plants I considered that it is very unlikely that the autoflower seed-stock, especially of the new strains, would be very old and soaking them could create excess moisture causing the issue? Just a thought and maybe I’m wrong and it probably has to do with whatever was in the germination water – I’m sure these strong plants will fight anything nasty, crossing my fingers.

LED Light Height = 40 cm’s (16 inches)

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 26 - 27 °C

rH in room = 65-70 %

Lights off 6 hrs:

Room temp = 21°C

rH = 65 – 70 %

27/05/13 – 4 days since sprouting

Growth has been moving along nicely for the 5 babies. Second true leaves are already visible and the initial issues with white tips on some are already becoming a thing of the past. Taproots are visible as well as multiple feeder roots, especially on the Super Criticals. I’m going to wash up the 23 L pots tonight and transplant them in the next couple of days so as not to slow the rapid growth down.

Tonight I’m also going to soak a Big Bang auto seed to take the place of the NLA seed that didn’t germinate, it’s my first try at growing 4 different strains together, and my first try at growing the Big Bang Auto last Auto grow I did 8 plants and 3 strains.

Mixed new water:

Reverse Osmosis (r/o) water +Cal Mag Plus to 0.4 EC + GHSC Mother’s Powderfeed to 0.6 EC total.

pH = 5.6

Temp = 22 °C

@ 10:45 pm – soaked a Big Bang Auto seed in r/o water + a few drops of Cal – Mag Plus = 0.20 EC

& temperature @ 21 ° C. Placed in a light proof box in the grow room where it is about 25 – 26 °C

LED Light Height = 35 cm’s (14 inches)

T5 – 23 cm’s (9 inches)

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 25-27 °C

rH in room = 65-75 %

Lights off 6 hrs:

Room temp = 22 °C

rH = 70– 78 %

28/05/13

Planted a Big Bang auto seed after soaking it for 18 hrs in r/o water + Cal Mag Plus @ 0.30 EC & pH @ 6.0. Trying out a clear glass over top of the Jiffy to help improve rH and maintain a higher humidity around it until it sprouts. There are a number of gaps between the glass and the seedling tray which will allow some air exchange

Noticed a few small orange/brown spots on the one Super C. auto and the Northern Lights auto. I don’t think it is anything serious and growth continues nicely. I am going to consider transplanting them tomorrow.

post-14382-0-56163100-1369857963.jpg

post-14382-0-01317600-1369857966.jpg

post-14382-0-03646800-1369857967.jpg

post-14382-0-47918200-1369857972.jpg

post-14382-0-06647700-1369857975.jpg

post-14382-0-55595700-1369857981.jpg

post-14382-0-18146400-1369857993.jpg

post-14382-0-16456300-1369857998.jpg

post-14382-0-09887500-1369858004.jpg

post-14382-0-27767600-1369858019.jpg

post-14382-0-01930900-1369858063.jpg

post-14382-0-82537400-1369858064.jpg

post-14382-0-07152700-1369858067.jpg

post-14382-0-21253500-1369858068.jpg

post-14382-0-23958200-1369858069.jpg

post-14382-0-41442700-1369858070.jpg

post-14382-0-45205900-1369858071.jpg

post-14382-0-15326300-1369858093.jpg

post-14382-0-56553300-1369858094.jpg

post-14382-0-83247200-1369858095.jpg

• Like 4

damn must take you aged to write our updates man thanks once again for another journal started, and started with a good start :)

I hope you will succeed in that grow too and show us some beautiful babies ;) For the strains Auto, i love the smoke of 1 of the bigbng i have made, clearly one of the best auto smoke, but i don't know if all phenos have it, i know you've done kalash and SM i think, don't remember if you had some NL auto? pretty interesting growth and trichomes too. Supercritical auto if you haven't tried Tokage had made an awesome grow with those. And AutoBomb is great smoke too. haha they all are actually so hard to choose a strain ^^

Anyway man good luck in your adventure!

Keep us updated

• Like 1

just read your grow with TrainWreck and SuperLemon Haze

I have LEDs and Im thinking of adding a HPS because im not satisfied with the LED.

I wonder if this grow will be finished as fast as the last one.My plants are at day 58 and need still1-2 weeks.

good luck man

• Like 1

Great start mate , will pull up a chair as usual ;)

Thanks moppy, you always have a seat here :)

damn must take you aged to write our updates man thanks once again for another journal started, and started with a good start :)

I hope you will succeed in that grow too and show us some beautiful babies ;) For the strains Auto, i love the smoke of 1 of the bigbng i have made, clearly one of the best auto smoke, but i don't know if all phenos have it, i know you've done kalash and SM i think, don't remember if you had some NL auto? pretty interesting growth and trichomes too. Supercritical auto if you haven't tried Tokage had made an awesome grow with those. And AutoBomb is great smoke too. haha they all are actually so hard to choose a strain ^^

Anyway man good luck in your adventure!

Keep us updated

Ya I try not to miss anything and sometimes go into toooo much detail even maybe :P lol But I honestly would keep a fairly detailed journal even just for myself as I've found it really helps - especially when starting out as a grower - to be able to go back and use info about what the plants liked for nutes lets say or were doing at different stages of growth and compare them with a current grow if the strains are of a similar background. I hope the details help..I know some just like the pictures and that's cool too :):good: Not everyone wants to read a novel :lazy: lol.

My 2nd grow I grew the Sweet Mango A - 3 very nice phenos, the Northern Lights. A. - one very nice pheno and one amazing yield but ok everything else, and the Super Critical A. - 2 plants same pheno were incredible, with a 3rd plant and 2nd pheno that was only ok in my books. So...the Big Bang is new, but the others I've grown once before. They are my first ever repeat strain lol.

Great to have you along as always Dust!

just read your grow with TrainWreck and SuperLemon Haze

I have LEDs and Im thinking of adding a HPS because im not satisfied with the LED.

I wonder if this grow will be finished as fast as the last one.My plants are at day 58 and need still1-2 weeks.

good luck man

Hi esekiel, nice to meet ya man and thanks :) Welcome to the best site out there for learning and easy goin growers/viewers..nowhere else like it on the net that I've found. Thanks for appreciating the detail and giving my last journal a read.

I'm gonna say go for the LED as supplementary to the HPS, but you knew that already lol. I tried just LED on 2 plants my first grow and I wasn't happy with the results, I'm sure my lack of skills at that point didn't help, but I still think unless you go and spend a ton of $$$ LED on it's own won't produce the same as HPS. But with the two of them combined the mixed spectrum plus added intensity really seems to produce a nice finished bud.

What strain/s have you got that are in flower now?

hi,

good to see you in auto cup !!!! with a beautiful garden as you know how!!!!!

Peace

Thanks miminexus, I am just starting the cup and you are done already lol..autos :) Will you start a 2nd crop for the cup? Best of luck to you also bro!

Looking forward to this one, that Super Critical is some tasty herb. We not Scrogging?

No scrogging this time Gaz, but I will probably do some LST, nothing too crazy, just to expose the buds to light better when possible and maybe mess with the hormones a little..I will see :) I've thought about scrogging autos, and I know it can be done, but it's nice to alternate grow styles. I decided to user 23 L pots to mix things up a little from my last autoflower grow where I used 12L. I want to see if they are overkill or not for autos or if they will produce a bigger plant than the last ones.

UPDATE WITH PICTURES LATER TONIGHT!

Peace :bye:

• Like 2

Hello fellow growers/viewers and friends! It’s time for a weekly update. Lot’s has been happening, some happenings good, some bad, but overall I am happy with everything except my stupid mistake with the first Big Bang seed..but all I could do was laugh.

I will let the past weeks journal entries and pictures give the details. PLEASE SCROLL OVER THE PICTURES FOR THE STRAIN NAME, they look very similar at this stage, and please feel free to comment, suggest, or ask anything!

Peace friends!

29/05/13 – 6 days since sprouting

** Time to take chances**

The plants are growing well and internode spacing is beginning as well as continued growth of the 2nd leaves and multiple roots. I am going to try something different and move them into bigger pots earlier than in past grows by a few days. This is a bit risky since I am also moving them straight into big 23 L pots, being autos I do not want to do any actual uprooting and transplanting so this will be it. I think they will do well if I am careful not to over water them and if I get the nutrients right as I will not be watering them for at least a week possibly longer after transplanting I would imagine.

Media preparation for transplant:

Step 1 – Soaked Grodan™ rockwool growchunks for 30 mins in r/o water +

Cal Mag Plus @ 1 mL/L x 10 L = 10 mL (EC 0.40)

GHSC Mother’s PF @ 0.25 g/L x 10 L = 2.5 g (EC 0.45)

pH: 5.6 Total EC: 0.85

Step 2 – Soaked Hydrotron clay pellets in r/o water + nutes for 15 minutes and agitated a few times to wash thoroughly and clean sediment from pellets then drained

Cal Mag Plus @ 1 mL/L x 20 L = 20 mL (EC 0.40)

GHSC Mother’s PF @ 0.125 g/L x 20 L = 2.5 g (EC 0.25 )

pH: 5.6 EC: 0.65

Step 3 – Added dry Pro-mix HP and mixed 50/50 with rockwool growcunks then watered to drain with:

Cal-Mag Plus @ 0.875 mL/L x 18 L = 16 mL (EC 0.38)

GHSC Mother’s @ 0.25 g/L x 18 L = 4.5 g (EC 0.43)

pH @ 5.5 Total EC: 0.81 Temp: 22 °C

Cal-Mag Plus @ 0.875 mL/L x 12 L = 10 mL (EC 0.36)

GHSC Mother’s @ 0.25 g/L x 12 L = 3 g (EC 0.43)

pH @ 5.5 Total EC: 0.81 Temp: 22 °C

Step 4- Lined the bottom of the 3.5 L pots with a nice thick layer of Hydrotron pellets

Step 5 - Filled the pots with soiless /growcube mix leaving room for the peat pellet/seedling and a top layer of hydrotron

Step 6 - Sprinkled ¼ tsp as per directions of Botannicare ZHO root inoculant (mychorrizae, trichoderma, amino acid) in circular area where seedling was to be placed

Step 7 – Cut mesh from top of peat pellets and rolled down ¼ of the way down the pellet so water penetrates and reaches root ball. Some growers remove mesh completely, I’ve done both and left them on for the autoflower grow and the roots grow through them with no problem.

Step 8 - Placed pellet in pot on top of sprinkled ZHO and filled in with Promix/growcube mix then topped with light layer of hydrotron

Step 9 – Watered around pellet with same nutrient mix as Pro-mix wetting Step #3

Mixed water for Bigbang – 0.27 EC & 5.5 pH

30/05/13 – 1 week since sprouting

@ 6 am – 8 hours after transplanting the jiffy’s into the 23 L pots they look VERY happy with all plants leaves reaching for the light. That is what I like about using the Jiffy’s to germinate, there is little to no shock when moving them into a bigger pot and they generally take off as soon as the roots sticking outta the jiffy’s have medium to grow into. They do look VERY small in those big pots though.

It is super hot out today for this time of year about 36 °C with the humidity, and it will be time to set up the two A/C units soon. I purchased a new 8000 BTU unit for the basement where the grow tent is located. Plan is to draw cold air into the grow tent from the other room via the 4 inch intake fan once I start up the 600W HPS which will be in the next 1-2 weeks.

31/05/13

Growth continues to progress well, only concern is a few more spots on the one Super C. auto but growth seems to continue as normal, interesting because the other Super C. has no spots.

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 25-27 °C

rH in room = 65-70%

Lights off 6 hrs:

Room temp = 23 °C

rH = 70%

03/06/13 – 11 days since sprouting

Well I really messed up, and it’s kind of funny, but it’s not. Since it had been about 5 – 6 days since I planted the Big Bang auto seed without sign of a sprout I decided to dig up the seed to see what the seed was looking like only to find the seed had disappeared! Of course this is not what really happened, and it didn’t take me long to figure out it out. When I soak Jiffy pellets I always soak more than I need because there are usually some with rips in the fabric or that don’t really “pop” up nicely into the proper cylinder shape when put into water. This time out of the 3 I soaked 2 were good and it seems I gapped and I threw out the Jiffy that had the seed and kept the other good one that didn’t have anything in it. Man I woulda been waiting a looong for anything to appear outta that pellet. I’m just feeling a little bit dumb about this.

Luckily with auto’s I can start a new seed pretty much anytime and will soak another Big Bang seed tonight :P

The 5 seedlings are on their 3rd set of true leaves and are doing well I think in their new homes with the Northern Lights lagging a little behind the rest and seeming a little droopy and unhappy at times compared to the other 4 which are looking fairly strong and stand up nicely reaching for the lights. The top growth isn’t exploding yet but my guess and hope is that they are working on building nice root systems in the big pots and the upper growth will soon take off. As well, I lowered the rH closer to 60% (was closer to 70%)since I am using only LED’s right now which some say do better with a lower rH. The Super C. with the spots gained a few more on its 2nd set of leaves but still continues to grow strong.

Added CO2 producing pad to the tent today at lights on. I’m going to mist it, close the tent and not run the exhaust fan for about an hour at “lights on” time when the stomata open which will allow the CO2 to build up and remain more concentrated in the tent. I will then vent the tent with the exhaust fan on and the ventilation flaps open to allow the intake of air. I plan on doing this 2 or 3 x per evening (their daytime)to really dose them with higher CO2 levels when the pad is misted, while they still gain the benefit of a lower level of CO2 being released the rest of the time as long as rH is above 35%.

I am waiting until I add the 600W HPS/plants are bigger/it’s hotter to install the intake fan to help with air exchange and cooling. So far the tent has been open and they also are small and require less air exchange.

The one internal oscillating fan is of course on 24/7 and will be for the entire grow with another being added as things progress.

8 pm – Scarified (with sandpaper) and soaked a Big Bang auto seed in r/o water + very tiny bit of Cal – Mag Plus to be able to read the pH properly with the pH pen and adjust if needed. She will be a little late to the party but hopefully this time all goes well

EC = 0.15

pH = 5.9 – achieved using a toothpick to transfer tiny amounts of pH Down to the water

Temp = 20 °C - will be placed in the same room as the tent where the air temp is from 25 – 26 °C

04/06/13 – 12 days since sprouting

4:30 pm – after 20.5 hrs soaking in water – planted the Big Bang seed in a Jiffy soaked in 0.5 EC r/o @ 5.5 pH; temperature 21 degrees. The seed sunk so I know it wicked water into it and activated the hormones but no sprout yet which is fine, I don’t want it to drown either. I’ve put the dome on the seedling tray to maintain high rH, turned on the heated seedling mat, and am trying to maintain a temperature at the base of the Jiffy of around 28 degrees C.

The plants have shown a big growth spurt over the past 24 hrs, though they still look tiny in their huge pots. This could have to do with increasing their transpiration rate, achieved via lowering the rH by 10% to 60%, and the addition of the CO2 pads. Even the Northern Lights auto has shown a big improvement and it was more vigorous and reaching for the light when I checked in on her at 6 am this morning. A bonus, if you touch them they already make your fingers reek like sour /skunky ganja.

Plan is to add the HPS and the intake fan in next 3 - 4 days. I would like to steam clean the carpets in the adjacent room where the cool air conditioned air will be drawn in from first if possible to help reduce the risk of any airborne pathogens (FUNGI!! Grrr) from getting into the tent.

Lights on 18 hrs:

Room temp = 25-27 °C

rH in room = 60% majority of the time (+- 5%)

Lights off 6 hrs:

Room temp = 21 °C

rH = 55%

post-14382-0-23717700-1370392105.jpg

post-14382-0-61144900-1370392109.jpg

post-14382-0-45061600-1370392112.jpg

post-14382-0-75829600-1370392116.jpg

post-14382-0-48152400-1370392118.jpg

post-14382-0-07140100-1370392121.jpg

post-14382-0-28024200-1370392122.jpg

post-14382-0-86412100-1370392123.jpg

post-14382-0-49633100-1370392125.jpg

post-14382-0-04808500-1370392127.jpg

post-14382-0-74673600-1370392153.jpg

post-14382-0-11777200-1370392155.jpg

post-14382-0-52207600-1370392156.jpg

post-14382-0-82232100-1370392157.jpg

post-14382-0-14739600-1370392159.jpg

post-14382-0-50005800-1370392160.jpg

post-14382-0-91329600-1370392161.jpg

post-14382-0-80848900-1370392163.jpg

post-14382-0-37169600-1370392173.jpg

• Like 2

hahaha yeah for sure you could have been waiting for her for a long time if she is in the trash ahahaha, but it sounds like some trashman might find a big Marijuana plant in their city Dump in a few months hahaha :D

Thakns for the nice update again man, nice plant nice growth :)

Have a good grow kee us updated ;)

• Like 1

i wonder how you will water your plants?I wanted to switch to DWC for my next grow but my temps could be to high for the water.so Im thinking about using coco.but dont know how to water.

i will use only a 400 HPS in the fuuture.But if i dont have to buy dwc buckets with pumps i may dont have to sell one LED.If so i will use it as suppliment light.

do you check the run off water always?btw i like your detailed journals.keep on doing so.greets

• Like 1

The plants are growing nicely now and I hope to have an early update with pictures later tonight or tomorrow :)

hahaha yeah for sure you could have been waiting for her for a long time if she is in the trash ahahaha, but it sounds like some trashman might find a big Marijuana plant in their city Dump in a few months hahaha :D

Thakns for the nice update again man, nice plant nice growth :)

Have a good grow kee us updated ;)

Haha ya man that would be hillarious! :biggrin: One mans trash would definitely be another man's treasure in that case :) Thanks for following and the encouragement Dust!

i wonder how you will water your plants?I wanted to switch to DWC for my next grow but my temps could be to high for the water.so Im thinking about using coco.but dont know how to water.

i will use only a 400 HPS in the fuuture.But if i dont have to buy dwc buckets with pumps i may dont have to sell one LED.If so i will use it as suppliment light.

do you check the run off water always?btw i like your detailed journals.keep on doing so.greets

Hi esekiel, thanks for appreciating the journals man :) As for watering it is all done by hand and mixed in 16 - 18 L batches at a time, sometimes this results in a lot of work, especially since 18L bottles of r/o are used that I haul from the water store, and with my set-up, the plants in 23 L pots usually take 8 L or so every watering, every 3-4 days at peak time when they are in full flower. At flush time putting even 2 x the amount of water as the size of the pots, so 46 L per plant x 4 - 6 plants becomes a massive amount of water, and work. I'm thinking of installing a reverse osmosis system which in the end will save money/time/labor, but there is research that says drinking r/o water is not good for us, so not sure yet :P As of last grow I do check run-off every watering as I find combining those numbers with the plants condition and recent growth gives me a good idea as to what is going on in the root zone and whether I need to increase/decrease feeding, or maybe flush.

I've been thinking about DWC specifically because of the whole water issue, and because of the results that I've seen others achieve with it. If you are considering coco, you may want to pick Greenomatic87's brain a little. He did a wicked coco grow recently with amazing results and he has tons of knowledge that he enjoys sharing with others :)

Peace

nice start bro!! look's like it's gonna be another good grow from smokey ill be watching bro. do you know what those reddish spot's are on a couple of those plant's is it from the ball's maybe? anyway's the plant's are looking nice and healthy good luck bro

• Like 1

My apologies, pictures will have to wait until tomorrow with the weekly update, I wanted to get some earlier but other things have come up :P

HAVE TO ADD - the 2 Super Critical Autos showed their sex yesterday after only 17 days from sprouting :)

nice start bro!! look's like it's gonna be another good grow from smokey ill be watching bro. do you know what those reddish spot's are on a couple of those plant's is it from the ball's maybe? anyway's the plant's are looking nice and healthy good luck bro

Thanks bro..saved a seat for ya :) It's been a little bit of a rough start with a few problems but things are still moving along..the reddish spots appeared quickly on the first couple of leaves on a few plants but have not continued to spread. I think maybe it has to do with using too high of an EC water to germinate. I used r/o for the last seed, the Big bang auto, with a tiny bit of Cal- Mag plus, and she is looking super healthy.

It's already been another week and time flies when growing autos :) I will let the weeks journal and pictures explain things, and please if you have any questions or comments, good or bad, please go ahead and ask..sharing info and thoughts is how we all learn to grow better weed :)

As always please scroll over the pictures to see what plant they are..I added lots as usual :P please enjoy my friends!!

OH one last thing, I don't like to go off topic, I think Undutched mentioned it before in one of his posts, but with the recent b.s. going on in the old US of A with secret spying, and now apparently there is evidence surfacing indicating that (surprise surprise) Canada also has a secret agency spying on it's own citizens.. :closetema:I wanted to quickly post some info to help fellow growers not get busted without even knowing wtf just happened. Without going into too much detail, when we take pictures with cameras and phones a "metadata" file is created which can help the wrong people aka cops and government pinpoint where the picture was taken and voila you get busted before you can even finish your next crop. Apparently this is happening A LOT!! Look up metadata cleaning programs, super easy to use and no more electronic trail. I don't want to spam links so I will just give the name of the one I downloaded free, FileMind Quick Fix scrubber. Hope this helps some fellow growers stay growin and safe!

PEACE friends

06/06/13 – 14 days since sprouting

Yay the Big Bang is sprouting as of 6 pm today (lights on)!! I’ve turned off the heated mat and taken off the seedling dome. As well mixed up some r/o water plus a tiny bit of Cal-Mag Plus and VERY tiny toothpick dipped amount of pH down to get it to EC of 0.17 and pH of 5.5, temperature of 22°C. I’ve turned on the T5 Sunblaster and have it set to 18/6 to start her vegetation.

Time to add the 600W & turn on exhaust fan – going to wait and see what happens with the temperature before I decide whether to add the intake yet or not as the outside temperature (which affects the basement temperature) has cooled again to around 15° C max daytime and nights, when the plants lights are on, have cooled as well.

Big bang water = EC 0.17, pH 5.5, temp, 22

Tent temp – 27

rH 52-58

Light height – 600w = 75 cm

LED = 55 cm

07/06/13

Big bang baby had some issues starting – seed stuck – pried it off with no complications before work this morning.

Had ANOTHER timer accident and 22 ¼ hrs of daylight first day with the 600W :( It happens if you don’t set the timer to start on auto before light time, and have to set it to “ON”, get REALLY friggin baked outta your tree during the process and for the rest of the night, wake the next morning and forget about it, come home from work and curse and swear a little, light a Super Lemon Haze joint, and then realize that it’s no worries really lol..they will survive.

Plants look amazing – except NL – moved her to the outskirts of the tent & no LED focussed on her. She is very slow to grow and yellowing a little. I’m thinking she wasn’t ready to transplant and too much nutes and the big pot has created a lock out

Lowered 600W HPS to 70 cm

Added a new CO2 pad early since spraying the shit outta it 3 – 4 times a day apparently breaks it down very quickly. I’m going to look into the mycelial fungal bags which supposedly last longer (found one brand that lasts 6 months) require no misting, and are totally safe for the plants.

rH = 55 - 58 %

Temp = 27°C

08/06/13 – 16 days since sprouting – 10 days since last water

THIS IS CRAZY!! So unbelievably the missing big bang seed showed up, I stepped on something in the kitchen and couldn’t believe it when I found it stuck to my sock looking rather dusty. It is still solid and for fun I may still try to germinate it even though it already was soaked once just to see what happens.

It’s been 10 days since last water for the ladies and I’m resisting the urge to water them. Although they are getting much lighter and drier the medium still has a fair amount of moisture even around the Jiffy’s and the plants look great. I want them to search for water and grow a nice big root zone, and I think watering them too early wouldn’t support this. I may water tomorrow though, I will wait and see.

Moving the runt NL to the edge of the tent proved to be a good call as she had the best growth yet over the past 18 hrs and looks much better but I fear she will always be the runt, oh well, there has to be one, I’m just happy she survived as she was not looking good.

Added the intake fan & filter combo – snaked 4 inch hose throughout tent, taped off end of hose, and poked ventilation holes through it so that the intake air is diffused through the tent. Still need to add the A/C unit to dial in their environment because this didn’t lower the temperature enough to close the tent completely yet.

Big B baby attempt #2 is doing well, she was stretching so I really lowered the T5 fluoro light and I may give her a little bit of tent time on the floor far from the lights to see how she responds.

9:45 pmDAMN CAT – AGAIN!! opened door to basement/cellar (for the Europeans J) about 15 mins ago to cool things off as I have started to set up the intake and cut holes in the hose but didn’t finish and didn’t get the A/C set up so things were a little warm, AND left the tent open. The cat was on his kitty tower/bed and was out cold, so I thought. I got too much into Family Guy (Netflix) and looked 15 mins later to see Kush (the cat) was nowhere to be found. I got downstairs as fast as I could to find him in the tent, he bolted as fast as could be upstairs, and he’d taken bites outta 2 Super C #1 leaves and the one poor little NL got 2 nice leaves chomped on too. At least he only hit 2 plants outa 5, but you’d think I would have learned by now that he is sneaky and he can smell it from a mile away. Go ahead Bam, let me have it, I know how you feel about those evil felines! (for those who missed my last grow, he chewed through the tent ventilation flap in my tent to get at the leaves last time!). Both the wife and I found him upstairs, and you knew by his looks and attitude he knew exactly what he’d done, smart sneaky f*cker. Anyways, in the wild they get munched on a little, and I caught him soon enough, I’m sure they will be fine but it’s a piss off to have any kind of set-back to an autoflower plant.

09/06/13 – 17 days since sprouting

9 am – Both Super Critical Autos have already showed their sex and are clearly females! !?? This is cool but I hope this does not mean smaller plants, I was kind of hoping that they would get much bigger before showing sex, will have to wait and see what happens.

Big Bang auto seedling looks great this morning – gave her some water & moved her into the tent for a couple of hours before lights off

Big bang water = EC 0.17, pH 5.5, temp 24

Increased oscillating fan speed too high for a few hours before lights off to get them used to a bit stronger air movement.

10/06/13 – 18 days since sprout and 12 days since last water w/transplant – TIME FOR WATER

WATERED: Mix x 2 – total 26 liters – about 5 L/plant

Botanicare Cal Mag Plus @ 0.8 mL/L x 13 L = 13 mL EC: 0.42

DNF Enhance pine oil @ 0.5 mL/L x 13L = 6.5 mL EC: 0.03

Advanced Nutrients B-52 @ 0.5 mL/L x 13L = 6.5 mL EC: 0.07

GHSC Mother’s Powderfeed @ 0.3 g/L x 13L = 4 g EC: 0.53

Potassium silicate @ 0.0625 mL/L x 13 L = approx. 0.8 mL EC: 0.03

20% Phosphoric acid (pH down) = approx. 1.0 mL

Total EC: 1.08 pH: 5.5 Temperature: 21°C

Run- off pH range was from 6.0 – 6.1

Run – off EC range was from 2.23 – 2.45

I will have to keep an eye on this already as these values are much higher than I would like at this stage of growth and to me it indicates that I prepped the transplant soil with too high of an EC/too many nutes! Ah ya, still learning, and I did mix it higher on purpose because of the big pots and knowing there would be a long time between watering at first, but this was a mistake I think. But, now I have a much better idea next time where to start around the same stage and at transplant, and can even use this knowledge to alter how I will prep the grow medium for the Big Bang auto transplant into the 23 L pots. I’m really finding keeping detailed journals is starting to become helpful with successive grows.

11/06/13 – 19 days old

The tent plants seem to have loved the water yesterday with excellent new growth over the past 18 hrs. I raised the 600W HPS to 70 cm to try and get them to stretch a little. The SMA’s in particular are growing great big leaves but are staying short and stocky with the high intensity combo LED + HPS. The one Super Critical is by far the tallest plant. I will get measurements soon!

Big Bang Auto seedling - 4 days after sprouting there are nice multiple roots showing through the Jiffy – best outta the bunch for speedy germination – could it be the r/o water and extreme low EC germination? I think so!! Future grows this will be this new method.

Mixed up 500 mL new water for Big bang auto – now 4 days old:

Cal – mag Plus to EC = 0.25

GHSC Mother’s PF to total EC = 0.35

**pH = 5.5 Temperature = 23 °C

** pH’d using what I call the “toothpick technique”. For very small quantities of water/nute solution there are a few methods to lower the pH of your watering solution when using strong acids(such as the 20% phosphoric acid solution I use), the one I use is simple. I take a toothpick and insert just the tip of it into the acid, then I carefully dip just the very tip of the toothpick in the watering solution one quick tiny dip at a time followed by mixing and a check with the pH pen. I repeat this until it’s where I want it. Hope this helps someone :)

Started up the 8000 BTU air conditioning unit in the basement. Towards the end of their last 18 hr period the temperature peaked at 28.9 °C (wife texted me at work and I tried to remain calm lol). It’s not crazy high but I don’t want to slow them down at all. So far it’s working perfect and it’s easy to maintain a temperature in the tent of 26.5 °C, and rH around 52% right now with little effort from machine and none from me! Tent is now closed completely maximizing light reflection.

post-14382-0-33381900-1371005127.jpg

post-14382-0-52889100-1371005132.jpg

post-14382-0-28872600-1371005134.jpg

post-14382-0-79289300-1371005135.jpg

post-14382-0-63984400-1371005137.jpg

post-14382-0-17676200-1371005140.jpg

post-14382-0-81517100-1371005142.jpg

post-14382-0-35127000-1371005149.jpg

post-14382-0-38256700-1371005154.jpg

post-14382-0-24195300-1371005157.jpg

post-14382-0-96779000-1371005210.jpg

post-14382-0-18515300-1371005212.jpg

post-14382-0-56911600-1371005214.jpg

post-14382-0-43997600-1371005216.jpg

post-14382-0-91393700-1371005220.jpg

post-14382-0-79966400-1371005222.jpg

post-14382-0-73694900-1371005224.jpg

post-14382-0-60489600-1371005227.jpg

• Like 2

haha thanks for the update man!! That was a busy week you've had haha between the lost seed not lost anymore, tha damn cat doing it again the time not working haha i'm not even sure i still remember everything that happened and i just read it haha

For the flowering around Day 17 is a nice score man, usually mine were declaring around day 20 and would go to a pretty fair size uner the 12/12 so i guess yours should be fine, specially on Super Crit one of the pheno is a little more stretchy, perhaps it will be this one that you have :)

Anyway it looks great as usual, i hope the runoff will be handle and that the lady will bloom crazy ;)

Have a good grow keep us updated

• Like 1

*** Quick update, Sweet Mango #2 is also definitely a female at day 20 :biggrin:

haha thanks for the update man!! That was a busy week you've had haha between the lost seed not lost anymore, tha damn cat doing it again the time not working haha i'm not even sure i still remember everything that happened and i just read it haha

For the flowering around Day 17 is a nice score man, usually mine were declaring around day 20 and would go to a pretty fair size uner the 12/12 so i guess yours should be fine, specially on Super Crit one of the pheno is a little more stretchy, perhaps it will be this one that you have :)

Anyway it looks great as usual, i hope the runoff will be handle and that the lady will bloom crazy ;)

Have a good grow keep us updated

It's hard for me to remember too without reading it myself but I'm happy that at least after all the events of the past week we can all be entertained by things a little :P Thanks for the nice words and reassurance man! :biggrin: ..so far they are handling the high run-off well..cross my fingers. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the tall Super C pheno, I dont think I got this one last grow.

Love Kush the evil weed cat ;-)

Haha ya we love him too..so we put up with him..and I can't blame him they are quickly getting stinky :P Thanks for stoppin by Moppy!

I love the detailed infos.I can learn from that.

I use EasyExifDelete for deleting the exif data.It need s only 2 minutes to do.

That's really nice to hear, thanks esekiel, I'm happy that the details help. Part of the issue I'm having is finding just the right amount of nutes when prepping the soiless grow medium, the Pro Mix HP has some nutes pre-charged into it but they don't say how much, so when I add my own nutes at transplant + Cal - Mag Plus I am sort of guessing how strong the soiless is, and now with the first watering run-off EC numbers I know that it is stronger than I thought! :P

Great update dude, very informative :scenic: They look nice and compact :)

Haha..I love the emoticon with the paper :) Ya the mangos are especially short and stocky, I have been tryin to find a balance between wanting a lot of intensity and not wanting them to be too short and stocky as the lower leaves are getting really big and need to clear the pot edges before they are laying on the clay pebbles! Thanks for the appreciation bro!

Welcome to the cup smokey.

is really nice to see another of your reports.

Good luck with your growing man.

Take care.

Hi Fran, really good to see you again too and to be in the 2nd cup contest :biggrin: I can't believe this is gonna be a year after year gig...very very cool!! Thanks for the really nice words and encouragement again Fran!!

hi

nice babies !!!I have redone a good turn in this cup, but more space !!!

all the same follow the development

Peace

Thanks miminexus :) are you starting a 2nd crop for the auto contest? or maybe outdoors? I don't want to miss one of your grows :biggrin:

Peace friends!

• Like 2

Healthy fat girls, missing the scrog, but am Intrested to see some more bondage though as wanted to have a play with my Afgooeys outside when they get bigger.

• Like 1