Current Culture DWC, OG Kush with Powder Feeding, JUNE26th 2013 ****FINISHED****

Grizzwaldz

Aloha Shawn, Are you using the Botanicare Cal-Mag 2-0-0-3.2Ca-1.2 Mg.? It will be interesting to see how things work out with 8 to 12 PPM of calcium in the nutrient solution (calculated for USA gal. for imperial gal. 4.55/l it would be 7 & 10 PPM)using the Current Culture method of very high flow rates. Looking at the Botanicare Kind 3 part formula hydroponics guidelines they start out in week 1 using 27 PPM Ca, and it peaks out in week 7 at 164 PPM, and then drops down to 66 PPM Ca. at week 13. Looking at the Current Culture nutrient package of grow and bloom calcium levels they use 32 PPM at week 1, 80 PPM at week 4 and 65 PPM at week 8 as it is common with high flow systems to use nutrients at 1/2 strength. Your growing system is a model that has not been seen before here on Strainhunters compared to the Waterfarms and rockwool slab culture using the Powderfeeding one part formulas with a Cal Mag boost. It would be nice if Arjan or Franco could step up and explain just how much a " little bit" of Cal -Mag is in PPM or mmol/l.

It does log the PH/EC after the system has stabilized, but for some reason I'm getting corrupted files and can't read my log files. This doser is awesome, but still working out the issues of it being a 1.0 version :)

How's things Oldemarine? i'm looking forward to my hawaiian journey in september. Even though Vancouver has been blasted with beautiful 25-30+degrees lately I can't stop dreaming of beaches over there. Our's are rocky and the women aren't nearly as plentiful :) hope all is well friend.

Aloha Shawn, Vancouver is one of my favorite places to go to get away from the USA for a little change of culture. When I was young my family often would vacation in British Columbia and go fishing and camping. As far as your beaches go I do not think I will ever forget that hill climb staircase down to one of your most popular summer beaches where people tend to let it all hang out.

beautiufl ladies Shawn congratulation! no worry for the late update as long as we have an update :D And for a positive feedback like his i can wait a month :P Joke apart i'm glad to read that so far the PF is doing great, not that i was doubting i knew it ould work :P But i's always good to see in almost all setups it does so well if you give care to your girls :)

Now let's hope you will like it as much during the flowering and with the 1,8EC :P

Have a good grow man

Aloha Dust, With the high flow rate current Culture System an EC of 1.2 may work just fine in the bloom stage of growth. I was noticing on Jimmy's grow with the Waterfarms at EC 1.8 some comments implied he was using too much nitrogen.

beautiufl ladies Shawn congratulation! no worry for the late update as long as we have an update :D And for a positive feedback like his i can wait a month :P Joke apart i'm glad to read that so far the PF is doing great, not that i was doubting i knew it ould work :P But i's always good to see in almost all setups it does so well if you give care to your girls :)

Now let's hope you will like it as much during the flowering and with the 1,8EC :P

Have a good grow man

thanks for the good vibes dust. i might stretch the updates to every 2 weeks since it's easier to see the dramatic change and also have more insight and info to write about. I'll have weekly photos though :) If PF food continues to work this well, and I figure things out with the help of oldemarine and yourself if I hit any blocks then there's alot of other spaces over here that will be switching to it also in the same systems :) I love the mother food for my older ladies.... very very happy with the product and I'm re-ordering more bags today.

As for reaching 1.8ec during peak bloom, I probably will not go that high during this test. Around week 4 I'll have it around 1.0ec and if I'm seeing no signs of "overdose" then I'll continue to raise the EC to week 6 but my experience in the "re-circulating" systems is it's easy to lock them up and even harder to flush and get them drinking after a lockup.

time will tell my friend and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Aloha Shawn, Are you using the Botanicare Cal-Mag 2-0-0-3.2Ca-1.2 Mg.? It will be interesting to see how things work out with 8 to 12 PPM of calcium in the nutrient solution (calculated for USA gal. for imperial gal. 4.55/l it would be 7 & 10 PPM)using the Current Culture method of very high flow rates. Looking at the Botanicare Kind 3 part formula hydroponics guidelines they start out in week 1 using 27 PPM Ca, and it peaks out in week 7 at 164 PPM, and then drops down to 66 PPM Ca. at week 13. Looking at the Current Culture nutrient package of grow and bloom calcium levels they use 32 PPM at week 1, 80 PPM at week 4 and 65 PPM at week 8 as it is common with high flow systems to use nutrients at 1/2 strength. Your growing system is a model that has not been seen before here on Strainhunters compared to the Waterfarms and rockwool slab culture using the Powderfeeding one part formulas with a Cal Mag boost. It would be nice if Arjan or Franco could step up and explain just how much a " little bit" of Cal -Mag is in PPM or mmol/l.

Yes that's the CALMAG I am using. I'm very impressed with your knowledge and accuracy when discussing the nutrients Oldemarine :) I'm definitely not on the level of knowledge as you and anything you can pass onto me and give me insight on is awesome and appreciated. Basically in these systems for the last year we've been running very simple food and salts with no additives and have had good success and yields but am always looking for better efficiency and finished product.

I know the Cultured Solutions food by Current Culture has very low CALMAG levels in their food due to "HIGH" levels in their tap water in Northern California. I've talked to Christian @ Current Culture a lot and he recommends the dosage of Botinicare CALMAG at 1ml/gallon but he doesn't have the accuracy of what you discuss.

Always a pleasure Oldemarine :)

Aloha Shawn, Vancouver is one of my favorite places to go to get away from the USA for a little change of culture. When I was young my family often would vacation in British Columbia and go fishing and camping. As far as your beaches go I do not think I will ever forget that hill climb staircase down to one of your most popular summer beaches where people tend to let it all hang out.

Vancouver has been awesome "after" the olympics, and what I mean by that is we seem to be finding our own culture and society with stores, coffee shops, cafes and smaller more genuine store fronts have been growing unreal the last 3-4 years. Vancouver has always been beautiful but we haven't had culture like other cities around the world but I and alot of other people feel that it's finally happening :) People are suntanning on the grass in parks and being alot more genuine these days and seem to be enjoying the smaller things in life.

Camping, fishing and enjoying the wilderness here is awesome too :) That has always been our trademark for sure.

As for the beach you visited and "hung around" at :) it's changed quite a bit with influence from the city by the way of complaints from some of the older and more prude citizens over the years. You can definitely let it hang out still, but no more food vendors and people living or camping down there.

Aloha Dust, With the high flow rate current Culture System an EC of 1.2 may work just fine in the bloom stage of growth. I was noticing on Jimmy's grow with the Waterfarms at EC 1.8 some comments implied he was using too much nitrogen.

We'll test it out and see how things react around week 4 and if they can except more EC than we can try. In previous food calendars the highest we went with was 1.5ec with a sativa "blue cheese" and it was fine. I'll be listening to you two a lot, so we'll keep eachother posted :)

All the best everyone.

lol yeah i might have been a little enthusiast with the 1,8 EC lol, but really depending on the strain some can take it so easy it's pretty amazing to see how fast they eat it and ask for more. I've found for the few years i've been using the PF that as long as you respect a certain planning and regular flushes to make sure nothing builds up you can really make them eat a lot. but it is true that in your system or should i sy similar system as yours the EC is often lower but well who knows ^^ time will tell us what thy want ;)

Have a good day and i'll be waiting for the little pic update ;)

lol yeah i might have been a little enthusiast with the 1,8 EC lol, but really depending on the strain some can take it so easy it's pretty amazing to see how fast they eat it and ask for more. I've found for the few years i've been using the PF that as long as you respect a certain planning and regular flushes to make sure nothing builds up you can really make them eat a lot. but it is true that in your system or should i sy similar system as yours the EC is often lower but well who knows ^^ time will tell us what thy want ;)

Aloha Dust, I think you are 100% correct that it depends on the strain to let you know how high one can go with nutrients. This is easier to do with nitrogen because of the rapid uptake. With the higher than normal NH4 Ammonical Nitrogen in the Powderfeeding formulas compared to many of the other formulations in an active hydroponic system the plants uptake is increased. It is a good idea to start low and do gradual increases (or decreases) over time to see how the plants respond going through the six stages of growth.

here's some quick photos from tuesday 07.23.13 before I post the photos from "MOVING DAY" into the flower I just finished up. Enjoying a nice cold beer as I type this, and enjoying how happy my (15) OG KUSH are on the Powder Feeding program. I'm looking forward to the flowering stage for this food, since I'm already a fan for VEG and MOTHER feeding:)

Anyways, here are a couple from tuesday.......

post-17127-0-88536100-1374802806.jpg

post-17127-0-23586300-1374802809.jpg

post-17127-0-71350900-1374802811.jpg

post-17127-0-53360400-1374802814.jpg

post-17127-0-88232400-1374802816.jpg

MOVING DAY!!!!! into the Flower Room was done this afternoon. I'll be keeping these beautiful OG's on 18hrs until they reach the top of the tomatoe cages I use for support. It's usually the best gauge on "kicking" into bloom for me :) This OG strain I have stays short and stout and won't need to worry about her stretching vertically at all. She's probably only be 5-8" off the top of the cage after 9weeks of bloom but she'll be wide and heavy :)

The Powder Feeding is working out awesome. For 4weeks of VEG with an average EC of 0.5-0.7 I've only used around 400ml's of my 1kg bag. Basically 4weeks of VEG cost me "roughly" $35.00 for my NPK. My only other additive I'm using is CALMAG by Botinicare and I've used around 350-400ml during the 4 weeks of VEG also.

I'm hoping to VEG these for only another 9-12 days than kicking into the fun part. Appreciate the feedback from everyone and hopefully everyone enjoys the ride.

post-17127-0-46661100-1374803265.jpg

post-17127-0-90634600-1374803267.jpg

post-17127-0-95065600-1374803269.jpg

post-17127-0-33011400-1374803272.jpg

post-17127-0-69165000-1374803274.jpg

post-17127-0-86833600-1374803276.jpg

post-17127-0-80915500-1374803278.jpg

post-17127-0-72955400-1374803281.jpg

post-17127-0-84558400-1374803283.jpg

post-17127-0-79929800-1374803286.jpg

I'm definitely keen to try and find the "threshold" for certain strains :) I'll be leaning on you for answer when we get close to week 4 and hopefully running an EC of 1.1-1.3 no problem. I did notice a bit of "down curled" tips on my biggest fan leaves while running an EC of 0.6-0.7 during VEG but with no burn. This strain of OG I have seems to lockup easlily for dirt farmers when they're feeding them like crazy with ADVANCED :) time will tell my friend

Aloha Dust, I think you are 100% correct that it depends on the strain to let you know how high one can go with nutrients. This is easier to do with nitrogen because of the rapid uptake. With the higher than normal NH4 Ammonical Nitrogen in the Powderfeeding formulas compared to many of the other formulations in an active hydroponic system the plants uptake is increased. It is a good idea to start low and do gradual increases (or decreases) over time to see how the plants respond going through the six stages of growth.

I'm leaning on you Oldemarine :) you and your fountain of knowledge..... chat with you next week

WOW! just looking at all that makes my head spin man.... do you see plumbing and electrical in your sleep along with ganja leaves or what bro?

EXCELLENT WORK!!

Pulling up a seat for this one no doubt!

It's a "loop" and not complicated at all when you install/build and it's really easy to run when you have the right equipment like water chillers and temp high limit switches in case of failures. All in all it's only complicated the 1st time you see it, then it starts making sense once you see the water move :) The doser is also very simple and windows software based.

Thanks for the props bro and appreciate you sticking around.

• Like 1

Aloha Shawn, I think your caged females are going to raise more than a few eyebrows here at Strainhunters. Your grow is one of the most professional trials using the powderfeeding on this forum. I was wondering how many grams 10 ml of Powderfeeding weighs so I can calculate an estimation of how many milligrams of N-P-K-Ca-Mg is the per day intake per plant averaged over 28 days? Your heavy duty cages will come in handy when the girls start to fatten up during the three phases of the generative stage of growth. I plan on going to Seattle Hempfest this year ( with 500,000 other people & 30+bands) do you travel down to Seattle often? http://www.hempfest.org/events/seattle-hempfest-2013-august-16th-18th-no-federal-schedule/

Amazing grow! very jealous! wish i could have a system like that! (stupid australian laws). Very interested to see how this these finish up with the powder feeding as im looking into getting it and running it in DWC. so far looks like a wise investment!

Very nice setup man,you could not wish for better, for a home-grown.

All systems DWC have them built you? if you .. great job!

weight will grow excellent plants in those rooms.

again congratulations, and good luck with your grow.

Hello from Vancouver yet again everyone. First off I did a stupid manual error 2 weeks ago after my last update when I moved everything into one of my flower rooms. At somepoint of cleaning and getting the flower room ready I "fucked up" and unplugged my 4" exhaust in the room and turned on the co2 burner which caused some really bad new growth due to the off gases and aldehides :( I noticed 3 days later when I came back and turned the burner off and took them out of the space and are running "bottled" co2 in each flower room now with "beautiful" new growth. I figure I lost 4-6 days due to recovery and having to prune back a bit.

Anyways, things are back on track and these photos were taken at the start of week 6 in VEG. I'll be waiting for them to be around 6"-10" taller than the cages before I "kick" them since this pheno of OG seems to stop growing vertically when kicked over to flower, and likes to grow wide.

EC is @ 0.7 and I have my dosing unit keeping the PH @ 5.9-6.1 They absolutely like the 1-part food from Greenhouse and I've placed another order tonight for more "short" flowering and also going to try the sativa 1-part for my Kali Mist I just reloaded in my VEG room. Also keeping the CO2 @ 1100ppm and I'm exhausting my room every 5 hours for 10 minutes.

Hope everyone enjoys and looking forward to the next 9 weeks :)

post-17127-0-88796800-1376274414.jpg

post-17127-0-38482700-1376274417.jpg

post-17127-0-83825500-1376274419.jpg

post-17127-0-83934900-1376274422.jpg

post-17127-0-43230100-1376274425.jpg

post-17127-0-86127000-1376274427.jpg

post-17127-0-51799300-1376274430.jpg

• Like 1

Aloha Shawn, I think your caged females are going to raise more than a few eyebrows here at Strainhunters. Your grow is one of the most professional trials using the powderfeeding on this forum. I was wondering how many grams 10 ml of Powderfeeding weighs so I can calculate an estimation of how many milligrams of N-P-K-Ca-Mg is the per day intake per plant averaged over 28 days? Your heavy duty cages will come in handy when the girls start to fatten up during the three phases of the generative stage of growth. I plan on going to Seattle Hempfest this year ( with 500,000 other people & 30+bands) do you travel down to Seattle often? http://www.hempfest....deral-schedule/

Hello Oldemarine :) 1ml = 1gram so the formula should work out easily. Currently right now during their VEG stage they're eating up around 0.3-0.4ec every 3-4 days which works out to be around 75-100ml of 1-part Powder Feeding. I'm also topping the CALMAG up 100ml every 6-7 days and that seems to keep the new growth happy and the EC consistent. I wish I could take photos of the roots because it's absolutely insane :) I'll try and stick my camera in their next time since I've stopped using my iphone for the photos updates.

As far as Hempfest goes I don't have any plans to head down but it's a really easy train ride for me. Let me know if your still planning on coming over. Would like to pick your brain on lots of things hehe.

Thanks Oldemarine!

Amazing grow! very jealous! wish i could have a system like that! (stupid australian laws). Very interested to see how this these finish up with the powder feeding as im looking into getting it and running it in DWC. so far looks like a wise investment!

Yes, Canada has given alot of us the ability to build and run some great grows but we've only got 8 more months left before our laws change and have to shutdown "personal" production sites. I don't know if it's been in the news over there, but Health Canada will be switching certificates over to "Commercial" licenses and making everyone stop their residential grows. That and our current government is pushing "mandatory" prison sentences if your caught doing production with over 6 plants.

Looking stunning mate , lOVE the equipment :gamer:

Thanks for the props. Me and my father built it, and it was his 1st legit grow build and he loved it. He's fascinated with building these now.

Very nice setup man,you could not wish for better, for a home-grown.

All systems DWC have them built you? if you .. great job!

weight will grow excellent plants in those rooms.

again congratulations, and good luck with your grow.

Cheers. The DWC system is made by www.cch2o.com or Current Culture out of Northern California. They've been making these I think around 5-7 years and have alot of great product. Check their site out :) Hope you like the updates for the next 9 weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the news man! i hope they will recover from the little accident quickly! they are getting a nice size by now let's hope they fill even more the space

Have a good grow

cheers dust! yes they're happy again and I'll also take photos of the roots for everyone too see. Heading back to the space tomorrow to change co2 bottles and monitor things after my fuckup :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just uploading photos from the last week and a half of the OG Kush run. Basically I ended up vegging these for 2 weeks longer than I had planned due to my fuckup with no fresh air and giving them time to recover before kicking them into flower. I'm happy with the everything and I kicked them into flower on Monday August19th. I ended up vegging these for 7 weeks or 52 days total from clone.

Also Dust was right on how quickly these things would absorb the 1-part powder feeding :) I figured I'd go thru 3.5-4 1kg bags of the SHORT 1-part but I've already been thru 2 during VEG and will need around 3-4kg to get thru Flower hehe. They really seem to like the Higher EC on this food also since I'm already running them @ 1.0ec during 1st week of flower which is around 0.2-0.3 higher than with other foods.

Also since I've kicked into flower, I've purchased GH "CaliMagic" as my CALMAG supplement since it has the lowest amount of nitrogen compared to other brands I've looked at and also it came highly recommended from friends. Previously I was using Botinicares CALMAG during VEG and it worked great also.

Anyways here are photos from August 14th day 49 of VEG more photos to follow this post.

post-17127-0-79903200-1377360066.jpg

post-17127-0-00239500-1377360069.jpg

post-17127-0-95334100-1377360070.jpg

post-17127-0-14494000-1377360073.jpg

post-17127-0-96513100-1377360074.jpg

post-17127-0-01345900-1377360077.jpg

post-17127-0-02620800-1377360079.jpg

• Like 1

Here's photos from August 19th or day 1 of Flower. I came in on the 22nd to cleanup and gut the insides and those photos will follow this. Again, these things at this point are absorbing around 0.4-0.5ec every 2 days which is incredible compared to other foods I've used so far.

post-17127-0-20909400-1377360640.jpg

post-17127-0-31302700-1377360642.jpg

post-17127-0-43501800-1377360644.jpg

post-17127-0-75771600-1377360646.jpg

post-17127-0-61166900-1377360648.jpg

These are from Wednesday, August 22nd. The 1st couple photos are before I cleaned up and gutted the bottoms and insides. I'll do another good prune around week 3 and that will be it for this strain of OG. This strain seems to stop growing vertical during week 1 of flower and just fills in and expands width wise.

I gave them a foliar of GH ArmorSi to help the transition into bloom and they're all happy with the 12hr cycle now :)

post-17127-0-17651800-1377361110.jpg

post-17127-0-50526200-1377361112.jpg

post-17127-0-29355900-1377361114.jpg

post-17127-0-62931000-1377361116.jpg

post-17127-0-40212000-1377361118.jpg

post-17127-0-55260800-1377361120.jpg

post-17127-0-47670000-1377361122.jpg

post-17127-0-73247300-1377361124.jpg

post-17127-0-69911000-1377361126.jpg

post-17127-0-94137200-1377361128.jpg

Alright last post for the day folks :) Here they're on day 3 of Flower and all cleaned up from the previous days pruning.

I've set the PH@5.9 with a 0.15 swing on the doser. One things I've noticed with the 1-part food is that the PH drops and I'm using PH UP more than with other nutrients. There's no signs or tells of Root Rot since these have had a great life so far. I found that to be very interesting, so we'll see how things continue the rest of flower.

The EC is being kept at 1.0ec during the 1st week. The initial idea with using the 1-part food from Powder Feeding was to max out at 1.2ec during flower but after a couple weeks of watching them eat this shit so quickly, I think we'll try and get it as high as 1.6-1.8ec during week 6 of flower. We'll see how things go while on our way there.

Also I've been adding GH CaliMagic @ 1ml/gallon every 7 days and I'm changing out the water in the system every 7-8 days and replenishing the nutrients.

My re-order of more 1-part food just showed up at my girlfriends office so I'm good for another 4-5 weeks :) Take care guys,

post-17127-0-77764600-1377361239.jpg

post-17127-0-89750400-1377361241.jpg

post-17127-0-36806000-1377361244.jpg

post-17127-0-15812900-1377361246.jpg

post-17127-0-73688900-1377361248.jpg

post-17127-0-85064800-1377361250.jpg

• Like 1