West Africa-Ghana Nigeria Senegal Cameroon

W Africa must have a strain similar to that found in Nigeria with leaves reaching up to 18 inches long. I can only imagine that if this strain was perpetually selected for coveted characteristics, that it will produce a winner. I am from Ghana and it is rumored that when Shabba Ranks came to Ghana in the nineties, he could not perform after smoking some weed that was black in color. Just a rumor. I still think West Africa should be the next expedition, going from country to country. Most of W Africa is safe, Marijuana is illegal, but as long as one is not breaking the laws in plain sight you should be alright. I was born in Ghana, but grew up in Nigeria(who happen to have very good Sativas by the way)

• Like 1

Connections in West Africa are hard to come by. Unlike Swazi, Kenya & Malawi, unfortunately Cannabis is not used recreationally in the traditions. It exists as a medicine as we know already now. My uncle could not find Western medicines for his high cholesterol, so he called back home and an herbalist suggested tea made from dried Cannabis root. Luckily I was improving my growing at the time and was able to provide the roots. Another problem is the stigma and attitudes of people toward Marijuana smoking. It is almost taboo. E.G: My Family(Ghanaian) has frowned on me for using for years, decades. I moved from Seattle where Cannabis is legal now to California where I still use under the Medical Marijuana Act. I have been smoking legally for almost five years now, but they are still not satisfied. They went from it is illegal to it is unhealthy. No Scientific data is going to change their minds otherwise. I haven't been in Ghana since the late seventies. A visit is long overdue. Luckily I have a cousin that smokes there, and with his trust I plan on maybe one day meeting Ghanaian ganja farmers, and check to see if there is a local strain. I speak the language good enough, and most Ghanaians are not violent. But as in most of Africa, authorities are corrupt, and everyone has their hand out. People don't do for others unless there is something to gain from it. Also "WEE" as the Ghanaians call it is strongly associated with prostitution and drug dealers(hard drugs). "It is what the criminals smoke." Reminds me of Kazakhstan where marijuana grows wild by the roadside yet nobody smokes or takes advantage of planting some high grade among the tWeeds. If West Africa has a local strain whose roots are helping regulate peoples blood, then who knows what other properties this medicine could have? What can it contribute to the gene pool you guys hve worked so hard to bring to us patients. Africans like to emulate the West. S it starts here in the US. I am proud to have seen Jack Herer on stage in the early days of HEMPFEST SEATTLE, and to have put into practice the words of Ed Rosenthal. I am proud to be a part of the movement. My arrest for hash was thrown out a few years back and I have had my share of pain from simply using a medicine whose only drawback is its aroma. If I should visit Ghana, I will be sure to document and start a blog or something.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi strain hunters and cannabis lovers,

I'm reading this and I think that if you need connections, I can set up an entire expedition. I've been in Senegal (self called "Jamaica of west Africa") for 6 months over 3 times. I have many trustable friends out there thati met when I was volunteering that can make us stay in every city of Senegal. There is 2 types of weed : one dry, with many seeds that can be found I the whole country, not so good but organic and untouched strain. The other one is much more potent and can only be found in the jungle of the south of the country, where there is a true rasta culture. It is very good, very tasty, and can surprise big smokers (like me). For this one I know a big field in an island and I know the only boat guy that know the road and who can take us here. The owner of the field make also very very potent and tasty hash with liquid of the wood (!!!). I'm a hash lover I've never smoked something that could be compared. Senegalese people have their own languages, but Wolof and French are understood by every one, and I understand little bit of Wolof and French is my native language. I have friends in Dakar (capital city), in the north near the Mauritania border and in the jungle of the south. I know places to make stay a whole crew and drivers to take us on African roads. Everything is ready for strain hunting, now it's up to you.

I hope to hear from you,

Best regards.

• Like 1

do you have a little more infos on that hash method with the wood juice? i would love to know more!

And senegal would indeed be a nice place to visit! If they go someday they might contact you who knows ;)

West Africa here we come ! Great idea. If there is some local tradition or a cult following involved it makes more sense to portrait a counry than just for big fields of good weed that could be grown in countless places. So if there are links I would like to know - Still on the horizon ETHIOPIA . Shashamane Land and that  ancinent Sativa found on King Solomon grave .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Dust, for the hash method i really don't cause i smoked it last time i came and they already cutted the harvest ... But next time i'll try to be there when they make it i can easily know when they make it.

This King Solomon sativa found on His grave sounds very interesting ... If you wish to have links there you have to speak french ... But i can share my knowledge with you you just have to ask

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

hi!    nobody has metioned the gambia in west africa.. Go visit the first tribe of the country, on "paradise island" its an island plantation, and no police or even the preseident goes there because they have rights of the first people in gambia.. they must have some interesting strains there, and its easy access, as it is a tourist attraction!!